Protips on War VIII : Parking Lots & Sorc Kills

~ This forum contains all topics that the New Player's Area Club has flagged as containing essential information for any player wishing to learn the fundamentals of being the best possible player of Monarchy. Any thread in this forum contains information that goes above and beyond the normal 'helpful' response.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

Protips on War VIII : Parking Lots & Sorc Kills

Postby Nymphsong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Part VIII -- The Proper "Parking Lot" and Perfect Sorcery Kill

So, I wanted to talk about what it means to destroy an opponents buildings via sorcery often known as a Parking Lot or PL and what a Sorcery Kill is commonly referred to as SK. Both have their place in the game and can be of great value especially in varying stages of a war. Both also, can be extremely effective in demotivating heathens to continue a fight, both offensive and defensive. I want to start first with the Parking Lot, but before we do, we need to look at what races make the best realms to conduct a PL and why.

Recently, I ran an all Elf guild (3 total members) that simply existed to demolish opponents and protect the faith, all the while, not necessarily having to resort to ground combat. By the end of the age (90 days with holidays throughout) we wracked up 2 Sorc Kills, 8,500+Forts Destroyed, and over 250,000 other buildings demolished. You think about that, its a pretty amazing feat considering an average realm size for the age ~25,000 acres, at 80-90% built, amount of elan used, and other timing factors, that's not half bad.

My assessment of the races is probably a bit different than that of other players because I served as AGM of Sorcery in most guilds I played in (as an Elf) (prior to Sidhe) for a number of years. However, when looking at the PL you need to look at to very key variables. First, the percentage of structures destroyed, but just as important, the percentage chance that you waste two turns and are reminded of the awesome power of the gods "backlash" as a portion of your temples falls to the ground, which is never good. (Note: For this assessment we are only using the Maximum Damage because if you are sorcing any other way (outside of power sorc) you are probably not doing it right and need to be reading this and the scum section (Part II) above.

The absolute undisputed best race for a PL is the Sidhe. The realm has the lowest "backlash" at 9% for Hurricane and 7% for Lightning Lance and Banshee Deluge Respectively. Additionally, it causes the most damage percentage wise, 5.63% Structures/7.5% Forts with Hurricane, 10% forts with Lightning Lance (OMG), and 6.25% with Banshee Deluge!

But wait, Sidhe isn't always around, what do we play then? That is an excellent question. Let us look at the "Level 4" Sorcery races and compare. Elemental, Vampire, Elf, and Fae all state they can do the same damage with Hurriance (4.38/6.25%), Lightning Lance (8.75%), and Banshee Deluge (5.0%). What is the catch? Take a closer look at Vampire and Elemental, you will quickly discern, while powerful, the backlash is going to get you much quicker with percentages at 13%/11%/11% for the top three big spells. Elf and Fae are only 10%/8%/8% which is critical when turns are important. So that said, I would go with Elf second, then Fae third. So why Elf over Fae? Fae have a stronger attacker than Elves who are usually turn intensive to train real offensive troops. So, that said, Fae is more versatile on offense and if able, should be warring and not sorcing, although it can do it just as well as an Elf.

So does that mean Vampire and Elemental are tied? Not so fast. At this point we need to consider the Human race as well. Humans do not cause as much damage as a Vampire or Elemental, but they have a lower Backlash to, which can be critical. Humans do Hurricane at 3.13/5% Lightning Lance at 7.5% and Banshee Deluge at 3.75%. Their backlash however is lower at 11/9/9% respectively for the top three spells. Is this a toss up then? Maybe, but this is also where the GM needs to assess his war plan and best allocate resources. Does he need a scummer? Maybe the Human stays out. Does he need more muscle? Then the Elemental stays out and the Human PLs. If those are not issue, then I always stick with what does the most damage, which would be Vampire, then Elemental, and Human. Vampire is before Elemental because it's Warriors are not as strong, and its scum is a bit tougher and can protect temples better in mid-strike.

So we covered your top six races (Sidhe, Elf, Fae, Vampire, Elemental, and Human). What about the rest. If you need the rest...you're mad...and might be wasting your effort. However, that said, I was in plenty of wars last age where Goblins and Centaurs took their time...and PL'd a dom...just took a lot more turns...That said, the remaining races, Droben, Goblin, Centaur, and Dwarf are kind of a toss-up, but I would still put them in the following merit list based on racial scum strength verses warrior strength (in order of best to worst...with none being ideal) Centaur, Dwarf, Goblin, Droben.

So, now we have our races. Now we go Hurricane and call it a day right? Probably not. First ALWAYS ASSUME that your opponent has maximum shields on their realm. To best avoid backlash, use a small attack spell to break shields. But which one? I almost always recommend Rousing Wind and NOT Shattering Calm. First it has the lowest percentage chance of backlash against you. Second, if you get through the shields and hit them with one Rousing Wind, you are taking out more temples...and it gives you a great estimate of where you stand as far as your temple strength and their ability to resist your spells.

Now you have the shields down but what to do? Is the realm fort heavy and troop light? In that case I almost always start with a Hurricane. If the defense is strong, then I solely use Banshee Deluge. What about a Fort only realm? Well, if you have a guild backing you, maybe Lightning Lance is the answer followed by a punishing warrior roll. I will use an example for this scenario because I think it will best explain the logic to the madness. Let us take a 21k acre goblin realm.

Smithies: 1260
Dens: 1890
Barracks: 8,822 (~5k Train Rate)
Mines: 6,300 (BR: 16)
Shrines: 1,680
Tunnels: 1048
Other Defenses: 3,300 Trolls
Scum: 10k Scamps
Serfs//Peasants: 75,000
Cash: 22,500,000

Looking over this realm, you have a pretty balanced realm. Not too many guildhalls (almost not enough given the size), decent build rate (BR) 16, the ability to cast fog, and about a 6k train rate. Additionally, the realm has a decent scheme on defense with 3300 Troll (321,50 Defense Points), 1048 Forts at (298,680 Defense Points) and 10k scum to keep out wood-be looters, etc. If you are attacking with similar or smaller sized kingdoms, this is a hard target and definitely deserves to be burnt (See Section II) and then PL'd. So per guidance in Section II, you scout the realm, intercept caravans, burn the Shrines to under 50/burn using a Human or Centaur, loot to 10 mil cash, and then make the questionable call of burning the guildhalls too. Why might you also burn the guildhalls a bit? Destroying 400 GH might seem counterproductive to a PL but in actuality, it could be beneficial if you have the turns to spare. The thought is, once you start hammering away with top spell, your spell usage will target more critical infrastructure in this case the Mines and Barracks, which is critical when conducting a PL.

So, we decided this is a hard target and needs to be PL'd. I recommend opening with a Hurricane, not only does it soften the total building count up, it also impacts the number of Forts he will have, making the player probably think twice about Downsizing those trolls, effectively paralyzing the realm. The realm is 100% built, but we need to modify it to what it looks like after the burn and then go from there. (We will use a Human Realm as the burn//loot scenario)

Smithies: 765 (after 5 burns = 10 turns total)
Shrines: 415 (after 14 burns = 28 turns total)
Cash: 10,172,740 (after 4 loots = 8 turns total)
-Intercepted Caravans +2 Turns, Scout +2 Turns.
Total Investment = 50 Turns :twisted:
Total Remaining Structures = 19,240 (without forts = 18,192)
Removing Shields: 4 Turns Total

So now it is time to go to work with the Sidhe. We will start by going in increments of five in order to show you total damage, and when it is a good idea to switch from Hurricane to Banshee Deluge due to protection of your own assets and turns. I will annotate the remainder structural count as a running tally from each sorc with faithless/ease over the realm in question.

Forts = 1,048 (969, 897, 829, 767, 710)
Other Structures = 18,192 (17,168, 16,201, 15,289, 14,428, 13,616)

The realm is marred, but not operational, and the fort defense is still pretty sturdy. You have only invested 10 turns so far, lets see where another 5 Hurricanes leaves us.

Forts = 710 (656, 607, 562, 520, 481)
Other Structures = 13,616 (12,849, 12,126, 11,443, 10,799, 10,191)

At this point, the Forts are pretty well cooked, further targeting of them can be done on the follow on strike and should make for an easy land grab for a warrior. You have invested another 10 turns. However, the realm probably still has close 3.5-4k barracks remaining, and this is still a threat, especially since a goblin primarily uses giants to attack. A 2k train rate is still a moderate threat and needs to be dealt with. At this point, with not further need to jeopardize your own temples, I would switch to Banshee Deluge, and total gut his remaining structures. But again, how far do we go? I always say between 200-300 structures/sorc is decent for a PL, but that is with an Elf. So in this case, when we reach, 300 structures per sorc or less with the Sidhe, we will re-examine what our opponent has left. Keep in mind, Banshee Deluge does more damage to ordinary structures, so this should prove fatal...rather quickly to the infrastructure.

Forts = 481 (No Effect)
Other Structures = 10,191 (9,554, 8,957, 8,379, 7,872, 7,380, 6,919, 6,487, 6,081, 5,701, 5,345, 5,010, 4,698)

You have now reduced your opponents ream to 5,179 remaining structures including forts. This last sorc job, you spent another 24 turns. In total, the Parking Lot you and your Human friend have just created cost, 98 Total Turns. Your opponent probably has less than 1500 Barracks and therefore a train rate below 1k troops, which is ideal. He is not coming back from this hit. In olden days, prior to restore, this probably would have been an age ending strike.

What is important about this. Turn advantage. If you and your partner are working together, and this was the hardest realm to get to, it could be argued that the two realms could effectively ruin, three enemy realms in one sitting. 2 for 3 is always a good exchange rate in a war. Now, we all know Fog will play a role, but if this was the biggest realm, there are good odds, your Sidhe can still make good on two other realms and at least marginalize their ability to make war.

So what is the difference between a PL and SK? Why not just SK everything, killing seems better than maiming? In guilds, turns are precious. A SK takes a bit more time and turns, and therefore is not recommended on a first strike. On defense, that is another matter, as you want to hurt the enemies feelings and make them pay for their land grab :)

So how much more does a Sorc Kill cost than a PL? Lets take a look, using the same Goblin Realm and the same aggressors, a Human and a Sidhe.

Shrines: 1,680

In this instance, we only want to DEAD the realm as quickly as possible, Guildhalls, Cash, etc. are inconsequential and irrelevant. Speed is your friend, and luck...in hoping the opponent is not online. In this case the Human still starts by scouting the realm. But, forgoes all other activities other than burning the Shrines. So below is the same result after the Shrines are burnt.

Barracks: 8,822
Mines: 6,300
Shrines: 415 (after 14 burns = 28 turns total)
With the scout and burn total turns used = 30 Turns Total
Now, the Sidhe goes to work, burn off two shields with Rousing Wind = 4 Turns Total

From there, its as quick as you can press the button on Foul Light to get the kill. At an 8% kill rate, that guy is going to get dead really quick. For a Sidhe, that's 40/sorc peasant kill and for a human below 30/sorc peasant kill. Shall we do the math then?

Peasants = 75,000 (69,000, 63,480, 58,402, 53,729, 49,431, 45,477, 41,839, 38,491, 35,412, 32,579, 29,973, 27,575, 25,369, 23,339, 21,472, 19,755, 18,175, 16,721, 15,383, 14,152, 13,020, 11,979, 11,021, 10,139, 9,328, 8,582, 7,895, 7,264, 6,682, 6,148)

At this point we have used 60 Turns, they are 90% plus dead, but that last 10% can take a while. Let's see where another 60 Turns gets us.

Peasants = 6,148 (5,656, 5,204, 4,787, 4,404, 4,052, 3,728, 3,430, 3,155, 2,903, 2,671, 2,457, 2,260, 2,080, 1,914, 1,761, 1,620, 1,491, 1,371, 1,262, 1,161, 1,068, 983, 904, 832, 765, 704, 641, 590, 543, 500, 460, 423, 389 AKA DEAD.)

Total Turns Used by the Sidhe = 130 Turns.
Total Turns Used by the Human = 30 Turns.
Total Effort = 160 Turns.

Note that this is an ideal Sorc Kill with the best race. Most ages, you will not be enjoying the fruits of what a Sidhe can do, and will be using more sluggish races for the kill. That said, this is still pretty impressive. Also, please note that a SK is the most risky form of warfare, because if the player is online, you may have wasted a great opportunity if he inspires and you waste 150+ turns trying to SK him. Then you have to quickly PL, wasting even more resources.

Turn advantage by overuse of SK can actually swing in the favor of the opponent if he Restores within a few hours. Also, at this point, your Sidhe has to refort or be exposed, so it effectively only took out one realm, which is why on first strike, the SK is not optimal. There are instances, but usually not optimal in a balanced guild with similar sized kingdoms. Attacking an off balance guild with one big kingdom and a bunch of littler ones, this could be more suitable. Once again, the battlefield will dictate how the GM should respond. The AGM of Sorc and War should both be in the discussion on such matters.

That really is a Sorc Kill in a nutshell...wipe out the peasant population. Now, that said, as with a PL, we want to use the same races in the order listed above...keep that in mind and you should have no difficulty in perfecting both of these forms of attack.

I want to run one more scenario. Can you scum, sorc, and war a realm all in the first strike effectively? The answer maybe, but not often. Let's look at this Elven Realm as a possibility for such a scenario. The realm is 100% built and represents a mid-to late age scenario, a major threat and great source of acreage, if your guild can get to it. So we will play a Centaur, Sidhe, and Goblin scenario, yet again, to show you how this might go down.

Acres: 32,000
Guildhalls: 2,400
Lodges: 3,000
Garrisons: 8,000
Mills: 9,600
Groves: 6,400
Towers: 2,600
Scum: 25,000
Troops: 1,500 Rangers, 500 Griffons
Cash: 34,000,000
Scout = 2 Total Turns
Burn 24 Times = 48 Total Turns
Total Defense Points: 825,750 (6,900 Giants just to get CS1 Good Fight...not ideal...)

So after 50 turns what is left?
Acres: 32,000
Guildhalls: 2,400
Lodges: 3,000
Garrisons: 8,000
Mills: 9,600
Groves: 511
Towers: 2,600
Scum: 25,000
Troops: 1,500 Rangers, 500 Griffons
Cash: 34,000,000

So, next you take down the shields with Rousing Wind. There are five of them. At this point, your Sidhe can simply use Lightning Lance to Unload on the Fort Heavy Realm.

Forts = 2,600 (2,340, 2,106, 1,895, 1,706, 1,535, 1,382, 1,244, 1,120, 1008, 907, 816, 734, 661, 595, 535)

Shieldsx5 = 10 Total Turns
Lightning Lancex15 = 30 Total Turns

So you have used, 90 Total Turns...and the Warrior can take over from here on the remaining 257,875 Defense Points. 2,200 Giants...now gets CS1 Good Fight...

Guerilla Raid = 4 Turns
Summon = 2 Turns
Full Attack = ...well whenever the GM says stop ;)

So, that said there is usefulness is breaking up your scum, sorc, and war attack and really can make a warriors job, quite easy. Just some food for thought.

Now, there is one last thing I want to briefly cover. Power Sorcing. Power Sorcing is when you cannot get to the opponents temples because their scum levels are simply to high. Power Sorcing is usually conducted when a faith is downhit or at the end of the age. Power Sorcing can be effective as a harassment, and with a Sidhe a possible killer as evidenced in the Massacre/Bloodbath games where the turn rate is higher (and their ability to summon temples). In guilds however, if you have the elan and the time, Power Sorcing can be frustrating as you slowly drain the infrastructure from a land fat opponent. Even if he is building temples, your Hurricanes and Banshee Deluges will ALWAYS destroy something, which is good, because that means no one is invincible. Keep that in mind, I am sure Seska can give you pointers on how this works. Just down hit him and I almost guarantee you will discover how annoying it can be.

Nymphsong
Last edited by Nymphsong on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nymphsong
Nymphsong
Explorer

Return to NPAC Elite