Page 1 of 1

An idea for the game

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm
by Kaz
I know I said that I was not looking to do anything other than tweak and bug fix. But I thought of an upgrade that would not actually be that hard to impliment.

However, it would drastically change an element of the game.

Over the last few years I gradually upgraded the code so that the racial bonuses in war, scum, sorcery etc were pulled out of a database.

There is no real reason why we could not play with that existing feature to add a new element.

You leader, could - for turns and cash - have a training screen where they can modify those same bonuses through training their leader.

[edit]
Oh yeah, please dont use this thread for other suggestions

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:31 pm
by Archangel
I'm a big fan of adding additional customization abilities to games. This particular change, while I think it will cause you untold headaches to balance, sounds great. I don't think it would often be used to make "balanced" kingdoms, so much as one more heavily balanced towards an aspect, but that doesn't seem to be too big of an issue.

My gut instinct says that as your leader gains in one area, they should have penalties to another. For example, if training gave +10% to scum, it should give -5% to war. (numbers arbitrary to illustrate the point, the actual ratios would be part of the balancing act). This would essentially allow people to specialize further into what they enjoy doing, but at the cost of other aspects, so you don't end up with an all-in-wonder kingdom.

Just my two pennies.

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:43 am
by Nagash
I like it. Having a good leader/general always helps an army, so it makes sense too :)

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:18 pm
by Imo
i like it, it could last a period of time, or bonuses get degraded over a period of time, say day 1 its +5% scum, then day 2 it goes to +4% etc till day 4 it goes to +1% then we will have to train them again to get the bonuses back

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 pm
by Nagash
Better that the leader can get killed or something. The only reason I can think of which would cause a leader to forget what he was trained to do ample time ago is Korsakov's or Alzheimer's.

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:45 pm
by Kaz
I was thinking that the best way to do this would be to start each age with all leaders at 0 in all 'skills'.

Each day of play, you can make one change, adding 1 to one skill, and removing 1 from another.

At the end of each instance, a selection of players will get a point that they can either use as a perminent skill increase for their leader, or use to pick a race that is not available for 1 instance.

The points could be issued like medals, for a top 5 finish, top 5 kills etc etc

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:47 pm
by Nagash
I like it :)

But instead of rank-relation, amounts of killed troops/won battles or something might work better? Otherwise the good players would gain even more of an edge :)

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 pm
by Kaz
There are a lot of possible ranking objects that we can use. Doesn't have to just be the top 5 kingdoms. Massacre had Kills, Deaths, Kill Death Ratio, Points, Max Networth etc etc, Unity had Honour ranks etc.

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:57 pm
by Reylan Talonspyre
I like it.

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:18 am
by Nagash
Kaz wrote:There are a lot of possible ranking objects that we can use. Doesn't have to just be the top 5 kingdoms. Massacre had Kills, Deaths, Kill Death Ratio, Points, Max Networth etc etc, Unity had Honour ranks etc.

If it's not too much of a coding hell, I'd like the randomisation of the criteria for the 'medals'.

Re: [NoSpam] An idea for the game

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:45 pm
by Gili
Would certainly be nice to have some kinda of game medals on display with our forum profiles/posts

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:48 pm
by Warf
I had an idea for the scrolls. How about some type of asterik or such by the players in NPP. It would save tons of time when looking to initiate a little action with someone.

:)

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:05 pm
by Gerien
Aren't NPP players italicized already?

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:21 pm
by Warf
You know I never even realized that.

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm
by Venus
lol:P

Re: An idea for the game

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:01 pm
by MoP
Now that's some ISA propaganda :lol: