Games Have Reset (2nd June 2013)

~ Administrative Announcements and Updates

Moderators: Gili, Teanos, Kaz, Archangel

Games Have Reset (2nd June 2013)

Postby Kaz » Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 am

It's coming up to 2 months since the last reset, and I though I'd give you some decent notice of the next one. I will be resetting all game versions at sometime on either Friday 31st May, Saturday 1st of June or Sunday 2nd of June.

As has been the custom for the last few resets, a new code-base will be rolled out along with the reset. We've ended up with quite a lot of new features in this forthcoming build, including:

• The ability to hide the staff notice for the duration of your gaming session
  • A new look and feel to the Offer screen. Now, instead of just a single text box to enter your tithe, you have a selection of choices. In addition to the custom offer, you can select from some of the common amounts to be tithed (without resorting to using a calculator). Options include Max 9's, Midi (income x10) and Micro (income x2). In addition, the screen will now include a summary of the various tithing gifts, and will cross them out as each is awarded allowing you to keep track.
  • We've added some additional tweaks to the restore system. Instead of getting 75% of the land from the restore you will now get 80%. This is combined with leaving other values at 75% to ensure that there is al least 'some' open land to build on during protection. We've also added some down-sides to the Restore Protection Period (RPP). BRT, TRT and the effectiveness of Inspire/Chant are now reduced during RPP. New restores will now start with 10,000 gold (to prevent the need to chant immediately) and will be capped at 20,000 open acres (there is no cap on built acres).
  • We've got a new design for the Training screen up for feedback (the old version is still accessible if preferred). The new training screen simplifies the process by only listing troops to train that you 'actually have'. As opposed to the traditional screen which showed every level of every troop, regardless of whether or not you actually had troops of that type and level to train.
  • Spell 1, previously known over the years by either `Inspire Devotion` or `Calming Chant` is now split into 2 spells using the previously mentioned names. `Calming Chant` remains as before, a spell which boost income for the duration of it's casting. `Inspire Devotion` boosts immigration for the duration of casting (it will fall back to income should maximum population be reached).
  • Spell 3, previously known as `Shattering Calm`, `Rousing Wind` or `Foul Light` depending of which faith you selected is broken down into 3 distinct spells. `Shattering Calm` will work as it previously has, destroying magic buildings and killing peasants. In order to make the specific spells more worthwhile the levels destroyed and killed have been slightly reduced. `Rousing Wind` will now specifically target magic buildings (at a level slightly higher than the original spell). `Foul Light` will just kill peasants (at the level of the original spell). Chances of backlash have been reduced for the two new variations of the spell.
  • Spell 6, previously known as `Hurricane`, `Lightning Lance` or `Banshee Deluge` depending on faith has also been broken down into 3 spells. `Hurricane` remains as before (although slightly less effective). `Lightning Lance` now targets only Forts (at the strength of the original spell). `Banshee Deluge` now targets all buildings except forts (at the strength of the original spell). All three versions also kill peasants at the same rate as before. Like with spell 3, the more targeted variations have reduced backlash chance.
  • Troop Stats & Game Info are now integrated modules that will not cause you to leave your kingdom. Both screens have been slightly improved, with Troop Stats now giving a lot more context about what the different bonuses actually mean. Each section on the Game Info module are accompanied by a description explaining what the option actually does.
  • Scum prices have been slightly changed. Instead of there being a 300 gold difference between races at each scum level, there is now a 150 gold difference. This should equate to lower scum races being able to purchase a bit more scum. Where prices were originally "(1/5) 2700, (2/5) 2400, (3/5) 2100, (4/5) 1800, (5/5) 1500" they are now going to be "(1/5) 2100, (2/5) 1950, (3/5) 1800, (4/5) 1650, (5/5) 1500".
  • Scum military strengths (for GR) have also been changed. Previously all scum troops were configured to be defensive in nature. This has had an effect of making them useless for offensive GR, and the game option have progressively been used less because of this. All scum troops will now be 50:50 when it comes to GR offence and defence. This means that the cheaper scum troops of the better scum races are troop-for-troop less powerful than the more expensive scum of the low-skill scum races. But this will essentially equalise as you can hold more of the 'cheaper' scum.

There are a couple of features that may or may not make it into this next code-base. I'll hold off mentioning them until they are actually ready to go live.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Re: Reset Approaching (Between 31st May & 2nd Jun)

Postby Kaz » Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am

Have finished adding to the list of forthcoming changes.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 am

Once other change I'm going to make is the return to ranking 'primarily' by networth. Scrolls will continue to list networth, land and built %. I'll probably also add the ability to order the scrolls by other things (like the out of game scrolls) but the ranks used to distribute the titles will revert back to networth. The reason for this is simply because it makes life easier from the point of the hall of fame and the fact the existing medals and achievements are networth based for king/queenship.

Also, we're going to see what happens when we turn off downhit protection in all games. It's been on for a while, but I think restore takesd away some of the need for it. We'll see how it goes though, it might come right back on again the following age. I'll be leaving the mode on that both protects UG's and limit's their ability to attack. It seems to be working as intended (i.e. to draw people into guilds or quads). [edit] Actually I'm going to turn that off again, see if players revert back to a high percentage of UG/UQ, if they do it'll come back on (and stay on) the following age
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Gili » Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 am

Can we have a tweak to discourage the excessive use of forts? Or are we expecting that new sorc spell that target forts to be part of the solution? Stuff that encourages teamwork makes a lot of sense, anyway thought i'd mention the forts. We've had to attack people with 3k to 5k forts, and i've been able to hold 2k forts on relatively small realms.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Gili
Community Admin

Postby Kaz » Fri May 31, 2013 9:44 am

Forgot about that forts post (read it late at night).

As it currently stands, there IS code aimed to prevent the excessive use of forts. However, it's percentage based rather than numbers based. After about 8 to 10% it ought to start getting harder to actually maintain forts without sacrificing on usable army, or boosting income buildings to a level where burning them is tactically useful.

Experimenting with a numeric system rather than a percentage system would actually be really easy. As it currently stands raw per-fort expenses increase at 5%, 6%, 7%, 8%, 9%, 10%, 15%, 20% and 30%. It would be very easy to switch that to be numeric and keep the same flow e.g. 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, maybe double each of those values because it might be pretty hard to justify much more than 1000 forts.

However, I think I'd rather make that change early on in the v2.5 code, and give us a couple of months to test it or consider other settings. Putting it live - combined with so many other changes - could be overkill, and undo all the work I've done actually making forts used again, sending us right back to the 0 forts days.

I will make things 'marginally' more expensive (using the previous system though)

Remember that forts now get taken down on CS, and 'can' be warred through if you go pure offence. Hard to war through them without getting first strike though. The sorc spell changes might help a lot there though.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am

No I've made a quick forts tweak, I actually came back to this thread to announce the planned config settings changes for the different game types next age.

Conquest Settings Changes
Uphit Only : Off
Size 9 Tithe : On

Bloodbath Settings Changes
Size 9 Tithe : On
RPP Duration : 24 hours
RPP Duration (after death) : 24 hours

Domination Settings Changes
RPP Duration (after death) : 72 hours
No Kingdom Declare post-RPP : 24 hours
Enforce Quad : Off

Guilds Settings Changes
RPP Duration (after death) : 72 hours
No Kingdom Declare post-RPP : 24 hours
Enforce Guild : Off
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Gili » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 am

Kaz wrote:However, I think I'd rather make that change early on in the v2.5 code, and give us a couple of months to test it or consider other settings. Putting it live - combined with so many other changes - could be overkill, and undo all the work I've done actually making forts used again, sending us right back to the 0 forts days.

Makes a lot of sense. Cheers for your time kaz :)
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Gili
Community Admin

Re: All Games Resetting

Postby Kaz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 am

Ok, as promised the reset is under way. I have a few back-end bits that need taking care of, so it'll take a little longer than usual.
Kaz
Administrator

Re: Games Have Reset (2nd June 2013)

Postby Kaz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:49 am

Guest Races
Guilds : Droben & Centaur
Domination : Vampire & Sidhe
Bloodbath : Dwarven & Vampire

Hall of Fame (yes I still need to sort out guild ranks - sorry)
Guilds #2 http://www.monarchygame.com/hof.php?hof=45
Domination2 #11 http://www.monarchygame.com/hof.php?hof=44
Bloodbath #8 http://www.monarchygame.com/hof.php?hof=43
Conquest2 #10 http://www.monarchygame.com/hof.php?hof=42
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am

Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Based on the start of this age I'm putting the enforce Guild (or Quad) mode back on for Guilds and Domination.
Kaz
Administrator

Return to Site and Game News