Scum Icon Need Quick Opinions

~ Development Forum for the Monarchy Online game, the Wars of Tonan miniatures game, and for planning Heros of Tonan miniatures.

Moderators: Kaz, Staff

Scum Icon Need Quick Opinions

Postby Kaz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm currently getting some icons done.

We should have a set of 20 done pretty soon but I'd like an early opinion on the one for scum.

I really like it, but can imagine some of the scummers not.

Need quick opinions

Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Re: Scum Icon Need Quick Opinions

Postby Calis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

i like it too :) esp. the color scheme
Calis
Lost Soul

Postby Kaz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm

ooh, I actually suggested he change the colours to fire colours to represent the two burn options scummers have.

Can easily undo that request if your guys want scum green
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 pm

green I think works for scum options... especially with that icon, it kind of reminds me of poisoning for some reason... guess because when you're ill, people say you look 'green'
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Dark Horse » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:49 pm

I like it
Somebody find Blacklock... Quickly!
Dark Horse
Lost Soul

Postby Icarn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 am

Hey! Just messing around here a bit again.

How big are these going to be? If they are for buttons I'd imagine smaller?

Since this is a silhouette size will matter.

I did some quick paintovers in photoshop. Right now your icon looks like it has a chipmunk shaped head. If scum is going to be evil and scary maybe a rat silhouette with teeth bared?

For the second one I put white around the head and made the whole rat larger. Highest contrast should be where you want to look so I added white around the head, really it could get lowered around the body too (less white on the right side). That would let the head stand out more and the eye show up.

Icarn
Newbling

Postby Kaz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 am

I have an email from the artist (is watching this thread) who liked your suggestion and tried it out.

They need to be shrinkable and still usable at small sizes as this one is actually intended to represent the 6 racial skills (war offence, war defence, scum, sorc, tithe, fort strength). Those six will be used as suplimentary images next to the 'select a race' images, and in the future used at about 1cm square on playing cards.

Unfortunately, the smaller they get the less clear those alterations become.

He may tweak it a little or leave it the same, who knows. But I'm getting the impression at this point that the icon is liked in general, so that's good.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Tara » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:46 am

I like the 2nd one better if a scummer has ta be a fuckin rat I guess, but also like the fire color idea more than the green. The green's a cool scheme, but green to me in this game means untested, a good scummer is way past testing *shrugs* edit-to your artist, use a higher resolution so Kaz can use whatever size smaller he needs without "losing" anything, please. Do you play too btw? If not will you? ;> what? I'll recruit anyone lol
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie

Postby Kaz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 am

Tara, making things at a higher resolution wont have any benefit to scaling down for display on the web. The 1cm on the playing cards is easy to scale down. At 300 dpi that's 118px square, which is fine.

The issue comes when resizing for web to say 50px square so the 6 of them can run in a row next to a say 300px 'select a race' image. At 50px square, those suggestions from Icarn become very unclear as to what you're actually looking at.

Either way, we'll see what he comes up with over the next few days.

On the recruitment side, feel free to try and recruit whoever you want :) One thing I've noticed about this thread is that its' done a little bit of a rejuvination of the boards. All I did was link to it on the facebook group, but it was obviously enough to change the 'most visits date' to last night, none of the other recent links to discussion have done that. The most visited score was from 2010 before today.

Most users ever online was 35 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:20 am
Kaz
Administrator

Return to Tonan Development