A storyline decision that needs to be made

~ Forum for to discuss the future and storyline direction of Tonan roleplay as a whole.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Re: A storyline decision that needs to be made

Postby Sikil » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Suvantar does make a good point. Maybe adding onto the history of the game there should be a timeline of major events.
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Maverick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:19 pm

From my perspective we are thousands of years after Maverick, etc existed.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

http://www.Flapship.com
Maverick
Explorer

Postby Kaz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:24 pm

From my various charcters point of view, they grew up during the reign of the new gods. I'd say that you'd need to be a pretty damned long lived character to remember the prophets, or the old gods that preceeded them.

Lets say it's been about 1000 years since Olandar was murdered, 500 years since whatever Oleana did to banish Angelique, Barnabas and Leto to the void, 70 years since the destruction of Maxim, 60 since the destruction of the guildlands and valid, and 50 years since the spilling of Darden's Bowl and the destruction of unity.

The Empire was formed 50 years ago in the wake of the 20 years of devistation to the guilded lands, and the loss of the Gods.

How does that sound?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Postby 4saken » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 pm

That helps alot.
Dont matter with my charcter he is a lich and lives for eons.

But that will help with my role play.
4saken
Lost Soul

Postby Blu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Suvantar that makes sense. But keep in mind there will be some, myself included, that may have created characters and story lines that have used the age of the old gods, the twilight of the old gods, the political/prophet age (as short lived as it was), the age of the new gods, and the return of the old gods as a backdrop that spanned the life of their characters. (wow after writing all that, it does seem a lot to take place within 25 to 50 years.) Which isn't to say that the histories of the characters and storylines can't be tweaked to match a generations timeline but there will be some necessary adjustments for some.

I'm going to tweak my current rp to make it pre-guildlands devastation and create a descendent for when the Dark Lady comes a-knocking.
DoW FOREVER!
INACTIVE ..still
Kaos&Associates,Attorneys-at-Law "WE CARE because you pay us to."
Hybrid Movement. It's time to stop the hate.
Blu
Lost Soul

Postby Teanos » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:44 pm

As far as the races, I'd say they would have to all be human. I just don't see how you can pick one of the 10 races the game has had and assign it to a specific God. It is much easier to believe that a race has picked their God for whatever reason and that race has different sects that may follow a different God.

As far as how much time has past, I would tend to agree with Suv in that it has been generations between ages. I just don't see how all of this has happened in say, one to two thousand years. Its easier to believe those who are referencing Old Gods, and stuff are doing so not from personal experience, but texts and beliefs that have passed down through the ages.

Although as someone already pointed out, it probably doesn't matter much since everyone's characters are all liches/undead, immortal, demons, or some other demi-god type that lives forever :)
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
Teanos
Within the Shadows

Postby Jokingjoe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:37 pm

I agree with Teanos on the time frame. Dieties worshiped even two or three thousand years ago are well known in our myths today. For the old gods to have almost be entirely wiped from the knowledge of the masses, it would have to be several thousand years, at least.

How does The Wheel of Time put it? Heroes become legends and legends become myths as the ages turn.
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion

Postby Kaz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Timeline, this part covering the last 100 years is pretty certain

50 years ago - Destruction of Unity - Loss of the Gods - Formation of the Empire
65 years ago - Destruction of Guildlands
70 years ago - Destruction of Valid
73 years ago - Destruction of Maxim
102 years ago - Angleique, Barnabas, Leto escape from the void, make war on Foret, Isonia, Darden

if you want a longer timeline how about

2570 years ago - Foret, Isonia and Darden born
2701 years ago - Diman, Mina and Solas prophesise return of gods
3014 years ago - Angelique, Barnabas, Leto and Oleana Vanish
3608 years ago - Oleana Ascends
4050 years ago - Olandar Murdered
4931 years ago - Olandar creates Angelique, Barnabas and Leto
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Maverick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:56 pm

I also agree that it should be thousands of years.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

http://www.Flapship.com
Maverick
Explorer

Postby Jokingjoe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 pm

ooc--while we don't have nearly enough people, it would have been awesome to play an age of guilds at the return of the old gods and having 6 factions.
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion

Postby Nagash » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 am

I think that in their mortal form all three of the gods could well be human. Not sure what I'd say for their immortal forms.
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Postby Teanos » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Nag - that was more my thought. Human would be the most neutral form that, in theory, would be accessible throughout the entire world. As mortals, its easier to believe they are human and have gathered the various races under their banners, versus being an elf and gathering goblins, or being a goblin and gathering droben.

As immortals - who cares? They take upon whatever form they want. To an elf, maybe they are an elf. To a human, they might be a dwarf, demon, angel, etc. That is easier to "roleplay".
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
Teanos
Within the Shadows

Previous

Return to Behind the Scenes