Avatar

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

KingArthur10
Lost Soul
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:10 am
Location: Migrating with Emus in the Great Pacific Northwest
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by KingArthur10 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Okay, I know that I'm resurrecting a thread from half a page ago, but damn it, I finally joined back up with the Monarchy boards, and I only saw Avatar about two weeks ago. Now that it has had time to sink-in, I figure I'll give my take on it (not that anyone really cares what my take is.....hell, I don't even care what my take is ;-).

In terms of graphics, I think Avatar has definitely hit a new bar. Odd, though, that hopping through the jungle with Luke and Yoda still makes me feel like I am there more than any modern 3D graphics movie. Graphics still do not adequately convey that "touchable" feeling.

In terms of scope, the planet was vast. They did a great job with all of the pulled out views of making it look like a real moon/planet/extraterrestrial body. The only REAL gripe I had with it were the damn action/plot devices inserted into world like floating mountains. It's the only thing that kept the planet from feeling like its a place I could visit.

In terms of plot, this will be a movie I MIGHT watch once more in my entire life. It was boring, predictable, and cliche. In many respects, one can see how modern video games play into the development of movies like this. This movie had a damn multi-stage boss battle that could be right out of a game. It was WAY over the top with little thought into giving us something new to think about. The antagonist was horrible and had absolutely no depth about him. Really, all the characters were rather flat. The story is an unoriginal, poorly directed hodge-podge of stories we've all seen dozens of times: Corporation drives a crazy, mindless military which wants nothing more than an excuse to kill and destroy (because that's all militaries are good for); sympathetic person in military turns coat and helps the less-technological underdogs, etc, etc, etc. All in all, it was one hell of a boring movie (to me), and I MAY watch it once more sometime in the distant future just to admire how far we've come with computer graphics.

Anyway, that's my take on Avatar.

[PS. I also just wanted to help the thread break the 100 post count ;-)]
Annoying Evernight/Monarchy admins for 1.5x10^-1 centuries

TDOD/OAFS/Countless other awesomenesses

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Avatar

Post by Immigrant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm

did you watch the 3D or 3D Imax/digital version? Star Wars fan too here (not as much as before the new movies but still a fan) and as good as they were/are, they don't hold a candle to Avatar. Possibly the best movie I've seen.. ever. I doubt it would've been the same movie even in 3D on a regular screen and bet it's ho hum in 2D, but man it didn't even feel like I was wearing those goggles - the movie was simply that good.

Story - eh.. simple but not bad; acting.. well Weaver - need I say more; but the graphics were on a level all their own and were every bit as revolutionary I feel as Star Wars special effects were in its day.

This is what special effects are for - please, enough with the Braveheart-esque/Gamer gore... tired

This was art.

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Avatar

Post by Immigrant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 pm

if anyone hasn't seen it yet on IMAX 3D... for what its worth, trust me: do yourself a favor and go where ever you have to to experience that - you wont regret it & wont soon forget it

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:43 pm

check this out, Avatar may be re-released
with 40 more minutes of footage!!

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... apped=true
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Grunt
Teacher
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Avatar

Post by Grunt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Great graphics
The only kewl factor to the story IMO was the nerve connections between animals
everything else was tired and not well told

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest