Avatar

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
MoP
Savant
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by MoP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

The people mentioned don't deserve a death in 60 minutes. They have to suffer longer than that. Unless of course we make a 60 minute compilation, then I'm all for.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Avatar

Post by Nagash » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:21 pm

I can live with that. Saves one from having to watch them too long...
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:34 pm

darkhorse wrote:Hey Owly, did you find out what the rock is that sells for 20 mil a kilo?
No they don't really say why it costs so much for a kilo.......
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Avatar

Post by Gerien » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Unobtanium. No shit.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 am

Do you know what/why it cost so much Gerien?

Please enlighten us.....
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Avatar

Post by Gerien » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:21 am

Because it's unobtainable. :roll:


Avatar: a quick word about 'Unobtainium'
Sunday, 20 December 2009 01:09 Martin Anderson EDITORIAL - RANT

To those that think James Cameron invented a new type of super-metal for Avatar...the truth.

[snip]I just noticed a comment on my review of Avatar at the Fortean Times, claiming that the metal that the unscrupulous company is mining on Pandora is a real-life 'naturally occurring superconductor' capable of facilitating levitation. I have also heard criticism on the web that Cameron lazily retained a 'working title' for the metal and decided to leave it unchanged in Avatar.

I would just like to point out that Unobtainium is a joke name invented by the science community for a 'MacGuffin'-type metal that is, well...unobtainable.

I'm no expert on this, but director Jon Amiel explained that 'Unobtainium' is no more than a scientific in-joke in his commentary for The Core (2003), which also features a metal called Unobtainium (see clip from The Core below), used to allow a group of subterranean scientists to resist the fierce heat of the Earth's dying molten core. The fallacious nature of Unobtainium is also explained at this Wikipedia article.[/snip]

Wikipedia
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:37 am

thanks i was wondering what it was, that was a good read......
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 am

i have a question about the end of the movie now, did the transfer of his being work and he transferred into the Avatar?
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Avatar

Post by Nagash » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:31 am

"Unobtanium"?!? Please tell me you're kidding. :shock:
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Avatar

Post by Gerien » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:02 am

Nagash wrote:"Unobtanium"?!? Please tell me you're kidding. :shock:
Dude we're Americans. And we geeks do love to play a good joke on everyone: which one this is I don't know.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Avatar

Post by Nagash » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:21 am

It is a joke alright... but more in the sense of "what a joke". :P
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Bogumil
Wayfarer
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Avatar

Post by Bogumil » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:27 pm

I chose to believe the characters were just using it as a slang for what they were mining. *shrugs* Of course, I'm not in the habit of letting something completely irrelevant like that ruin a movie for me.

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Avatar

Post by Gerien » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Just saw it. VERY cool. And the "unobtanium" and such was really minor.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
asoc
Explorer
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:35 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Avatar

Post by asoc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 am

darkhorse wrote:Both of them (U-571, I like the movie but...and Red October) took too long to sink.

Almost like the Posiedon Adventure...

But then again, anything with more than five minutes of Steve Guttenberg is too long anyway.
The Red October was never sunk.
And The Hunt for Red October it is a GREAT movie.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Avatar

Post by Nagash » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Gerien wrote:Just saw it. VERY cool. And the "unobtanium" and such was really minor.

Worth a check then, despite the rather lame terminology?
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Avatar

Post by Gerien » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:19 am

Storyline is only okay - quite enjoyable in its cliched way - but my god the tech really is everything they're saying about it and gives me hope for the future of sci-fi movies. They really did manage to avoid the uncanny valley that plagues so much of CGI.

Oh, and I saw it in 3D, which I think was worth it. We may even go see it again (2D this time) because there was just SO much to see and all that worth seeing on the big screen.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 am

It must of been cool seeing it in 3D, even though i seen the movie on the puter i would love to see it on the big screen 3D or 2D, either or......
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Avatar

Post by Gerien » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:02 am

Dude you really missed out.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Avatar

Post by owly » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 am

No.... no we didn't....

We going to see it on the big screen on sunday at the 2 dollar movies, probz be 2d but i don't care. i'll be able to look at the background more carefully since i already seen it and know the outcome.....
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Maverick
Explorer
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Avatar

Post by Maverick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:25 am

Saw it in 3d and it was pretty good.

A lot of the movie was cliche and it seemed that they watched Last of the Mohicans on mushrooms. As I typed that I realized that its a pretty good premise for a movie and probably why I liked it.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

http://www.Flapship.com

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest