Page 1 of 1

What has the web come to lol

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 pm
by Kaz
I just googled 'romantic picnic' and the 6th hit is a World of Warcraft spell

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 pm
by bigSparky
That's actually kind of interesting. When I got my first PC 30 odd years ago it was running msdos 3.0 and I don't think windows had even come out till about a year later. We sure have advanced, lol.

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:37 am
by Nether
god you people are OLD

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:44 pm
by Kaz
Nether wrote:god you people are OLD

so is that statement because i googled 'romatic picnic', or because i was surprised to see warcraft in the results rather than ideas and tips for planning a picnic?

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:42 am
by Jokingjoe
heh, maybe 25 years ago Sparky.

Kaz, I'm not overly surprised, WOW has had such an huge following and impact on online gaming over the years, and continues to go strong.

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 am
by Lady Maven
Kaz, you are old because you live in Europe. We all pretty much get our European views from Are You Being Served. NO ONE on that show could be called young. <weg>

I remember my first computer had a cassette player as a hard drive. My second was a Trash 80, no Windows, every time it was started you had to load DOS.

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:56 am
by bigSparky
Uhm, ok, not quite 30. It was the spring of 1982 or 1983. Got it off of some television auction show, and was supposed to be cutting edge. 128K RAM, two single layer floppies that you had to load the OS off of first every time you went to use it. Thermal printer, CalcStar and WordStar, and a host of other completely useless software. The chips to expand the RAM to 256K cost more than the comp,LoL.

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:33 am
by owly
My first computer was a apple talk about a mind fuck. All I could do on it was play games.......

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 pm
by Maverick
That does sound like a pleasant spell. Im not sure if you saw the screen shots but it looks pretty classy, definitely something Id consider for a first date.

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:11 pm
by Lady Maven
Ah HAH!! found it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Person ... sette_tape

A freaking cassette player, lol. But it was SoTA at the time and I was a tech spoiled kid and HAD to have one!!

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:41 am
by bigSparky
This was mine, a Sanyo MBC-550.
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/sys ... index.html

Spring of 83 so 28 years. Came with a little thermal printer, the paper maybe 6 inches wide. REEEEEEEEALLY slow. Slower than the initial Canon site during a war on dial-up, LoL. Think about that for second though. When I first found us, I'd bet the vast majority were still on dial up. I was on Web TV for crying out loud. We really have teched up in the last ten years or so. Whether it's progress or not, now there's a question.

Re: What has the web come to lol

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:36 am
by Dwarven Giant
Mine was the ZX-81. Carried a 4"tv & a caassette player in a bag. Yep, I have a protable computer. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81