Page 1 of 4
The Forums
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:52 pm
by Kaz
The new forums require a name.
For now they have been called 'Monarchs Glen' but that can easily be changed.
Feel free to make and debate suggestions for the name and also for the posting ranks.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:44 am
by Kaz
We have a collection of board themes now available.
Check them out and let us know your favourites.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:03 am
by owly
What about 'WarTorn' or 'owlynest'

Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:11 am
by Warf
Oh no who left the door open and let owly in.
How about simply Haven
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 am
by owly
What about owlysplace?
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:13 pm
by Teanos
So far,
Classy Dark
Element Black
for the dark theme.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:40 pm
by Dauthi
Classy dark so far for my vote.
As for the "name"
I"d like to throw into the mix,
The Kings Journal
or
The Kings Dairy
IE the the daily recordings of the kingdom in which s/he runs maintains.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:21 pm
by owly
i like the black and orange theme.....
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:23 pm
by Kaz
Classy Dark - I could live with this theme, but it needs to be tweaked a little darker. It's also a bit thin.
DVGFX - I dont mind this theme either, although it would be better with - if not a logo - at least somewhere to display the name of the boards.
DVGFX2 - This has the layout DVGFX was missing, but I dont like the colours.
Dark Grunge - Currently my favourite theme, especially after I added the castle and made it a littl emore orange.
Dark Fantasy - I dont like this theme at all. It's a bit 'too much' fantasy.
Element Black - I also quite like this theme. Although - if such a thing is possible - it might be 'too' dark
Hestia - I'm not really a light forum person. This one is not too bad as far as it goes I guess.
Melankolia - I really like this one too.
Polyethylene - This ones not too bad for a light forum.
ProSilver - boring anyone?
TwilightBB - Other than the orange buttons, this is quite a nice theme.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:03 am
by Imo
i like dark grunge, dark fantasy and melankolia
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:20 am
by Nether
I'm using dark fantasy, the others just feel mass produced.
As far as the name for the forum goes, when the game gets transplanted will it have a new name? The title of the forums should play off the name of the game.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 am
by owly
i now think we should name it after my cat 'Stinky'.....
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am
by Anarane
I like ClassyDark but by far like Element Black better.
As far as new site name for boards......
What about Legacy of the Past?
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:10 am
by Nagash
I'm not the easiest person when it comes to themes, dun take it personal
ClassyDark - too black
DVGFX - quite like classydark
DVGFX2 - nice one, has the darkish look but also some light touches to cheer it up and make it eaier on the eyes
Dark Grunge - I don't like red much
Dark Fantasy - too grey
Element black - even darker than ClassyDark
Hestia - too light to my liking
Melankolia - that one's pretty
Polyethene - too light
ProSilver - too light
TwilightBB - Quite nice, if it weren't for the orangy touches
I've chosen Melankolia for now
As for names, I've been thinking of something to emphasise the new start. Something along the lines of "New Horizons" or "Rebirth" or something...
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:16 pm
by Kaz
Another thing to contemplate.
Moderators with secret identities like BH and TB, or just classic moderators posting as themselves like most other boards?
e.g Voice George vs Kaz
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm
by Nagash
Depends on the stance you take on moderators, I guess. The great advantage of the secret identity of the staff is that it prevents personal attacks as well as personal requests (insofar that's possible with regards to a moderator). If everyone accepts the authority of those appointed as mods they can operate under their own name. If you doubt the acceptance of the mods by the community, the hint of mystery which the veil of a secret identity provides, helps.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:46 pm
by Imo
i like hidden identities, cause if you are not friendly/rivals with the person whos mod and he did something to you you'll be like he's out there to get me!!
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:39 pm
by Nagash
If anything it takes away the possibility of such a discussion, yeah. Some people always think they're victimised.

Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm
by Teanos
I don't have a preference one way or another on the moderators.
The benefit to the hidden identity is that it remains hidden, and in theory allows for some sort "oh, they will be fair to me" concept when a dispute arises. However hidden identities work better when there are large amounts of people posting. When you have a smaller number, then you end up with people who can tell by the spellings, time of posting, time of lurking, etc. who the moderator is. Then it defeats the whole purpose.
The benefit to out in the open moderators, you know who you are dealing with. The downside to that is if you don't like that person then anything they say or do is going to seem like a personal attack against you. Although as my memory recalls that didn't seem to matter on if they were hidden or not.
Perhaps we need to draw a clearer distinction between Forum/Community Moderators, Forum/Community Admins, and Game Admins.
Re: Name the Forums and Ranks
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
by Imo
that works too