Page 1 of 2

Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:50 pm
by Faile
As a resident working a split shift, my time is limited for the holiday festivities, especially in the kitchen...

Are there any resident chefs with some different menu plans out there? If so, how about sharing?

Just interested in something different.... Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 am
by owly
First i rub garlic butter and sesame seed oil all over it i make my own stuffing with toasted white and brown bread with meat from the neck and sage. i cook the turkey in a paper bag it makes the skin crispy and the meat moist.....

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:33 am
by Gerien
Please define "different". A couple of times I cooked my bird on high high heat (like 450 degrees) breast up for just 2 hours and it was perfect. I know a few other easy but tasty recipes also.

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:59 am
by TEVA
I am cheating this year and going ot Luby's for my thanksgiving dinner.

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:05 am
by owly
You are there-fore Banned from this thread :P :lol: ;)

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:29 am
by Atla
Wendy's Spicy Chicken Fillets!

ALL. THE. WAY.!

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:48 am
by Nagash
owly wrote:First i rub garlic butter and sesame seed oil all over it

Too much information! :lol:

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 pm
by Faile
should have known better, lol...

by different, I meant courses other than the traditional fare.
I'll make the routine things, so long as I'm not called in to surgery. (timewise- or dinner will be served late)
trying to find something that perhaps someone might enjoy that's not necessarily not the usual suspects...
and thanks, Atla, but I guess that I should have mentioned no fast food. (sometimes, a warmed up bag of mickey D's or chinese is all the sustanence we'll get while on call)

Now how about it? The family will still be fed, but can someone help with shaking things up?

Once again, thanks to all who respond. Happy Thanksgiving!

Go Big Blue!

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:29 pm
by MoP
Faile wrote:Go Big Blue!
Big Blue = the Fat Whore aka Angelique?

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:25 pm
by Nagash
MoP wrote:
Faile wrote:Go Big Blue!
Big Blue = the Fat Whore aka Angelique?


It is. :P





On a slightly related note: why bother eating turkey when you can have ostrich? It's much better tasting, and also a bird. Sort of. :)

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:02 pm
by owly
Nagash wrote:
owly wrote:First i rub garlic butter and sesame seed oil all over it

Too much information! :lol:
So you deciphered the secrete code :oops:

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:56 pm
by Venus
First i rub garlic butter and sesame seed oil all over it

then i take out my robe and wizard hat..

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:00 pm
by Gerien
Venus wrote:
First i rub garlic butter and sesame seed oil all over it

then i take out my robe and wizard hat..
Oh, I like to play dress up.

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:14 pm
by Faile
Regards to Big Blue - I'm from New Jersey... the statement refers to the New York football Giants.

As for myself, I am, and shall always be... an ever - faithful Daughter of Chaos... despite the random color shifts... lol

Anyway, it's nice to know that the twisted minds lurking here can keep a subject going, even if it has little to do w/ the main subject...

Now - What's next?

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 pm
by owly
Oh goody dress up i'll wear a gun belt and a cowboy hat and thats it........

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 pm
by Gerien
So what do you like? Fancy mac 'n' cheese? Spaghetti? Easy/small turkey dishes? give me something to work with honey. :D

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:08 pm
by Raknarak
I would just like to profess my newfound love for Venus because quoted BloodNinja at the best possible time!


As for easy meals... Yeah, give us more to work with. I'm a traditionalist for Turkeyday basics, but I could think something up with a little more detail.

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:00 pm
by Nagash
I could give you some good recipes, but most don't involve poultry.

I toss a wicked salad, my meat is marvelous (teehee!) and if you have tasted my pasta you will always crave it.

OK, OK, puns intended. But I do mean it. On both accounts. Ummm.... yeah....



*grin*


Do let me know what exactly you want and I'll be able to give some advice. The question now is more like "I gotta cook me a meal... got suggestions?", which is a wee bit too broad.

E.g. does it have to involve turkey? Do you prefer spicy or refined? Flat or herby? Etc.

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:19 pm
by bigSparky
It sounds to me like you are concerned you will get the meal started and then have to bail early because of work. If so, that makes it tough. Any alternative that I would suggest would basically require the same amount of work and impose the same time restrictions. As far as something traditional yet easy and less time consuming, there are a few options. We got tired of cooking a whole turkey years ago. Too time consuming, and very unreliable results wise. We now go with the Butterball or Jennie-O turkey rolls. They are boneless, yet have both the white and dark meat. These two brands also come with a gravy packet that makes very good gravy. Never dry, always tastes good, still has the skin and fat,
easy as all get out to carve/slice, and any leftovers you don't have to deal with the bones. We also usually have a ham with brown sugar glaze and pineapple slices. Remember, you only have to heat a ham up, so it is really quick and easy. If you have to leave it will also hold well.

Another time saver, and this surprised me as to how good it is, is the turkey flavored Stove Top stuffing. It ain't Mom's by any stretch, but still quite good. You can make it normal, though with a touch less water, and still bake it in the oven and get that browned crust on it.

Our veggie of choice is asparagus, cooked in a bit of real butter, and we must have fruit salad and sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter and toasty marsh mallows on top.

Alternatives...I'm a big fan of pork. It also goes well with all the things that turkey does. A fresh shoulder or butt roast, baked slow, and some oven browned potatoes. Maybe pork tenderloin roasts. All close to heaven if you ask me. And don't be afraid to eat pork medium rare to medium. Trichinosis is so rare anymore, and has been for years.

The big problem is if you have to go, you're likely to be gone for hours.

Re: Bird day specialty recipies

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 am
by Faile
Okaaaay....

I thank everyone for chiming in, but to be specific, I was hoping for a few ethnic dishes...

Myself, I'm a mix, a Latina w/ teutonic roots. I'll do the traditional - bird, stuffing, ham,mashed potatoes, potato salad, mixed greens, pork roast, ears of corn, rolls from scratch, corn bread, apple, peach, sweet potato and pumpkin pie, 3 layer triple chocolate cake... you know, the usual...

In case you were wondering how I'm pulling this off, I have access to 3 stoves / ovens and will be running crazy keeping up with what's where... lol

While we're all happy to celebrate, I was wondering if anyone had some "old country" type dishes that they would like to share, things that maybe your grandparents thought tasty, but not on today's "Top 10" list...
I really don't have the time, but if it's interesting enough, I promise, that I will make the time for it...

Ciao