Page 1 of 2
So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 pm
by Atla
Lucky for me, I had my Mossberg 590A1 combat shotgun at hand.
I grabbed it from the passenger seat of my jeep, flicked the safety(cause an unloaded gun ain't worth shit), and blew them away.
Than I had to google what the fuck to do with them.
And here I am, watching the stove as little Squirrel Nuggets are boiling. With a slightly naseous feeling in my stomach, cause the idea of eating tree rat is kinda... out there with eating, well, rats. As soon as their done boiling, I'm gonna attempt to bread and fry them..or something. Whatever this 'Wild Game' cookbook tells me to do.
The bad news? I fucked up skinning them and the tail came off on both of them. Now I can't make a hat.
The good news? My girlfriend just asked me to bring a piece over for her to try tonight.
Hell, Kimber(my dog) won't even try the parts I threw away.
I. Am. Hill Billy.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 am
by Gerien
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
by Atla
Oh c'mon city boy!
Come up to these hear mountains and we'll have us a banjo pickin' good time!
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am
by Atla
You ain't gots to squeal unless you wanna.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:46 am
by Sturm
I have this funny improve scene playing through my mind, on seeing Gerien in the mountains with Atla sitting around a camp fire cleaning guns in a combat colored feather boa.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am
by Teanos
Thats not a skit.
I'm pretty sure my last trip through Carolina I looked up yonder on them thar mountain and saw that very sight. I almost got a picture when he escaped down the crick and into the wilds beyond.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:54 am
by Gerien
Sturm wrote:I have this funny improve scene playing through my mind, on seeing Gerien in the mountains with Atla sitting around a camp fire cleaning guns in a combat colored feather boa.
ROTFLMGDAO
And Atla - start practicing your pig impressions.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 am
by Gem
Atla wrote:Oh c'mon city boy!
Come up to these hear mountains and we'll have us a banjo pickin' good time!
Duelling banjos ala Deliverance, right?
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:13 am
by Atla
Gerien wrote:And Atla - start practicing your pig impressions.
Whoa there hoss!
I'm a giver not a receiver...the pitcher not the catcher!
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:14 am
by owly
Atla wrote:Oh c'mon city boy!
Come up to these hear mountains and we'll have us a banjo pickin' good time!
the next line should be 'squeal like a pig'
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am
by Nagash
Atla wrote:Gerien wrote:And Atla - start practicing your pig impressions.
Whoa there hoss!
I'm a giver not a receiver...the pitcher not the catcher!
So?

Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:44 pm
by Teanos
I had a squrriel jump from behind the car next to me after I got to work today.
First thought was of Atla and a shotgun, it made me laugh.
Second thought was I wish I had a shotgun.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 am
by owly
they can be fierce with those tree climbing claws.....
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:33 am
by Atla
I've still run over dozens more than I've actually shot though. ;(
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:10 am
by Nagash
That's because you drive even worse than you shoot.

Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm
by Atla
HA!
I'm pretty new to shotgunning. I was always something of a rifle snob and used to turn up my nose at shotguns. Mostly cause I was a firm believer in 'Aimed fire over mass fire'. But after getting my M590A1 I've changed my tune quite a bit.
I have moments of sheer fucking greatness running mine in matches and competitions. I usually practice by putting out a half dozen or so clay birds staggered at random on a hill bank - and than I try to shoot them all as fast as I can without missing.
And about half of the time, I can run my pump better than others run their autos.
Sometimes I'm no shit just hanging on for the ride as I pump and fire almost faster than I can keep up. My respect has greatly increased for them.
The first Squirrel I shot, I blew off a branch and as he fell he hit another branch and it looked like he may have been grabbing at it so I let him have another shell and blew him out of the tree completely.
The second, I nailed him as he was sprinting up a tree trunk.
So two squirrels, three hits - Not to bad right?
I just gotta go for one shot two squirrels now...
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 pm
by Nagash
Headshots?
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:13 pm
by Stark
I just gotta go for one shot two squirrels now...
Done did that. Was the first time I had my 284/6mm out. My grandfather made it for me. He took my old .243 and chambered it out to fit a 284 case, put a 30in barrel with a custom mussel brake on it and a 6x18 cannon scope. Nice gun but kinda pain in the ass to reload for since you have to neck down all the 284 casing before you can load them.
Anyway we were out hunting sage rats, small ground squirrel looks like a prairie dog but smaller. They stand up in front of their holes had one in my sights about 100yrds out, squeeze a shot off and he kinda blew up. Using a 65gr hollow point traveling at 4200fps.
Being a bit morbid we had to see the damage. There were pieces every where. After looking a bit we realized there were parts of two sage rats. Seems there was two of them standing in a row about two feet apart. The shot took both of them. Lucky? ...yes.
Fell in love with the gun from that moment on. It becomes quite a challenge when you pick sage rats out that are 200 to 300 yards away.
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:49 pm
by Atla
Sage rats? Never heard of them before, North American animal?
And if I recall correctly, isn't the .284 a wildcat? And it has a 30 inch barrel?! Holy crap man, does that length include the muzzle brake?
I've always wanted to go Prairie Dog hunting, but haven't been able to go out west again to do so. I'm not to big a morbid kind of guy, I know they tend to explode when shot - but I'm not the sort that gets jollies out of it.
And I used birdshot, if I had used slugs...well - there wouldn't be anything left Nagash. ;>
Re: So there I was, minding my business.. When they attacked.
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 pm
by Atla
I finally got around to breaded and frying the little body parts.
Waiting on them to cool to try them.
Not to sound psycho or anything, but there is always something mighty masculine about eating some poor animal whose life you suddenly and violently snuffed out.
Maybe that's why those Indians(feathers not dot) ate each others hearts?