Page 1 of 3
Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:52 pm
by Reylan Talonspyre
Anyone who was on my nonexistent Facebook can attest to the fact I hate my job. I work for a major bank/credit card provider with Visa/MasterCard. I work in a call center environment. I am in Risk Management as an Analyst. What this means is, I am the guy you spoke with when your card was declined for possible fraud at Best Buy, Walmart, etc. during this Christmas season. But don't worry, you should be able to use your card with confidence, knowing we are here to protect you.
/snicker
Right. Either way, I hate my job. It is 90% getting yelled at, 50% getting no support from upper management, and 193% too much internal call center drama. So, I looked elsewhere. Seems God, Fate, Angelique, whoever has smiled upon me and taken their sweet ass time about it.
-I have an interview. Instead of driving South for 45 minutes, I will be driving East for 45 minutes.
-Pay and benefits are the same.
-Less (like 80% less) phone calls.
-Work with a friend of mine who makes me cry with laughter.
-Lots of eye candy.
-No more drama (see whining about chick thread)
-Within 6 months, there is definite upward mobility.
-Morning shift instead of the even shift, meaning I can actually hang out with 10 year old sister and see my family more than once per week.
I am really happy, just for the opportunity. 2010 is a year of change and transition.
I hope this is my chance. I need to get out of the call center. I need to get out of that place. I need new scenery. Need to refocus. I need a girlfriend, but that will handle itself.
Things are changing.
So, anyone have any good interview tips?
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm
by Atla
-Lots of eye candy.
-No more drama (see whining about chick thread)
The two highlighted portions go hand in hand hoss!
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:59 pm
by Reylan Talonspyre
Yes, but the last chick wasn't like super hot.
I have met some of the girls my buddy works with ... I was impressed.
My buddy is married, so he is a perfect wingman.
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm
by Atla
Yeah, he can tease the fat busted chicks without blue balls overcoming his inhibitions and resulting in nasty sex.
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm
by Reylan Talonspyre
Here is my take on office dating:
It is similar to the movie I Am Legend, except instead of crazy zombie-like people, you get women, holed up in an office instead of New York, all keen on 'making it' in the real world and a limited number of men (you, being Will Smith of course) who understand their plight. It means the language barrier is broken, leaving only the panty-barrier. Now, this being said, even a retard with a lisp can end up quite the player in the office scenario.
I have examples, watch the Office. Would Jim really have a shot with a hot chick like Amy Adams outside an office setting? No!
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm
by Captain Ron
That's great Rey, I have a second interview on Thursday with a place about 10 minutes from my house. I know it sounds cliche, but just be yourself(but not too much like yourself) I always do prep work from an interview book I got from the campus career center during college. Most of the questions are lame, but then again I've been to some pretty lame interviews. I keep a notebook with some of my answers for popular questions with me during the interview. I'll only open it up if it is far enough away from the interviewer to cheat if I think I am in the clear with enough distance. Sometimes it doesn't come in handy, sometimes it does.
Nothing beats when I was in college and interviewed at a local Ace Hardware. We talked about football for a half hour then he showed me around the store. What a great job.
Anyways good luck man.
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm
by owly
Good luck with the interview.......
Eye candy? i have plenty of that around my apartment
don't tell hatama i said that ssshhhhh
Re: Interview
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 pm
by TEVA
Rey good luck with interview and you too Ron. I hope both of you get a jobyou will like.
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:35 am
by Gili
best of luck with the interview
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:15 am
by Teanos
Obviously if you get the job you will need to covertly snap photos of said eye candy so we can judge for ourselves.
Honestly interviewing always sucks, but just be yourself. If you over embelish yourself on your resume, they will find out when you interview, hopefully you didn't go too crazy with that. Speak to your strengths, if you worked in a call center before and you have recieved any sort of customer service rewards, mention them.
One thing that works to some degree in a Tech interview is not being afraid to say "I don't know", or "I would need to consult with someone on that". Not sure how viable that is for you, but sometimes people throw you trick questions just to see how you will react. Its a favorite trick of mine in fact, throw someone a question with no real answer and see what their thought process is as they walk through the problem.
Let us know how it goes - goodluck.
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 am
by Gerien
I'm jealous. I haven't had a job since April. Good luck.
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:49 am
by Reylan Talonspyre
Yeah, actually the first thing the lady asked about on the phone interview was, "Do you have a job?"
As far as this job goes, I just finished my Typing Test. Blah. I thought I would be faster. I was incorrect.
Duration 1 minute
Net Speed: 52 WPM
Accuracy: 85%
Gross Speed: 61 WPM
Not bad, but might be a bit low for data entry. I don't think they will drop me because I am not 190 WPM.
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 am
by Portia
Ooo, where did you go for that typing test. I did a typing test a long while back, but need to do one again.
Oh, and you're a whore for getting another interview while you already have a job. I've been looking for months and can't find squat other than people who need to see my credit info before they even meet with me. Riiiiiight, I'm gonna buy that one.
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:30 am
by Nagash
Reylan Talonspyre wrote:I am really happy, just for the opportunity. 2010 is a year of change and transition.
I hope this is my chance. I need to get out of the call center. I need to get out of that place. I need new scenery. Need to refocus. I need a girlfriend, but that will handle itself.
Things are changing.
You got Obamafied!
When it comes to job interviews, I just make things up as I go. Quite succesful recipe for me, but won't work for the more control freaky and nervous people.... hope ya get the job, mate (and the Ronman too)!

Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:35 am
by MoP
Good luck!
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:00 am
by Teanos
Portia - if its in the financial field, then they may need to do a credit/background check. Although normally you get an interview first!
there are a handful of free typing tests out on the internet.
I found this one real fast:
http://www.typingtest.com/
Just a quick run through at 5:59 am in the morning:
"Test completed - here are your results:
Net Speed: 98 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 95%
Gross Speed: 103 WPM
(words/minute) "
90 WPM, 95% accuracy isn't too bad. The last test I took I averaged about 115 WPM, with a top speed of around 120 WPM.
Heh.
Re: Interview
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm
by Gerien
And accuracy is more important than raw speed.
Re: Interview
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:34 am
by Portia
These were in the Administrative Assistant and Office Managerial fields. I could understand if they wanted to run a credit check before I was hired, but given the fact it costs them money to run a check and the effect multiple checks can have on my credit I know they should at least talk to be before they run a check. I'd be given a company credit card for these positions, but when the first contact is the company telling me they want my credit report? I know better.
Thanks a ton for the link! I'll try it after the run I'm on in WoW is over tonight.
Re: Interview
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 am
by Reylan Talonspyre
Portia. Quit WoW.
As for everyone else:
Survey says ................. I got the job.
I just alerted JP Morgan Chase, the company I have been working for, that I am leaving in two weeks.
Good bye drama. Good bye being yelled at. Good bye being told my ideas don't matter. Good bye brunette. Good bye anti-depressants. Good bye lack of advancement. Good bye not seeing my family. Good bye night shifts. Good bye JP Morgan Chase Credit Card Services Fraud Operations. Suck my god damn dick! YOU HAVE TAKEN TOO MUCH AND NOW YOU DIE!
Hello undisclosed law firm. I am sure we will have a grand time together, did I ever tell you about the time I was a car salesman? No? Well, it all started with this ad in the paper ...
Re: Interview
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:31 am
by Raknarak
Gratz Rey! That's dem cool!
Portia... Don't quit WoW. Play on Twisting Nether.