Most Difficult Thing I Will Ever Have To Do (Advice)
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 am
My friend of 10 years, the man who was instrumental in my college degree, first serious and long term relationship, countless years of both good and bad advice, a member of my family, a brother, a confidant, has one week to a month to live. He is loosing his battle with leukemia and I am going tomorrow afternoon with a hundred other friends and family I helped organize to visit him.
I am the person his sister turned too to get all his friends the info about his impending death. He doesn't know yet, but I am sure he will soon as people start arriving out of the blue. My buddy and my ex-girlfriend (the one he walked me through that lasted 2 years) and one of our mutual friends, will be visiting tomorrow.
We don't know how to approach it. Patrick Sullivan has meant more to us than any of us know how to tell him. I personally have told him everything he ever needed to know. I plan to just listen and be quiet for a change of pace.
This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. He represents my entire adult life and most of it the best parts. Miss him? Fuck, I am still not so sure I can do this without him.
I am just beyond distraught. Here is a man in his late 30s being given another week to a month (doctors think more like a week). How do I interact with a man whom I consider a brother (not shitting, just like a brother) and maintain composure when he may not even be aware of his fate? I am scared. Not because he may find out, that will happen one way or another. I am scared of what life will be like without him. I am scared because he is the one thing that was always there, we thought we would grow old together, marry women, have retarded children, maybe even go to law school together.
I wish I was exaggerating. Everyone is walking on egg shells, more concerned about me than him. I tell them to worry for him. Pray for him. VISIT him.
So many people he has touched and driven to better things.
So many memories I refuse to let my mind lock onto because I am so fucking afraid of my reaction.
They say he is going away.
I am asking for a fucking miracle. Just this once.
Sorry, I gotta go. Either way, how should I handle this? Honest to God, I am at a loss.
Anything.
Thank you.
I am the person his sister turned too to get all his friends the info about his impending death. He doesn't know yet, but I am sure he will soon as people start arriving out of the blue. My buddy and my ex-girlfriend (the one he walked me through that lasted 2 years) and one of our mutual friends, will be visiting tomorrow.
We don't know how to approach it. Patrick Sullivan has meant more to us than any of us know how to tell him. I personally have told him everything he ever needed to know. I plan to just listen and be quiet for a change of pace.
This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. He represents my entire adult life and most of it the best parts. Miss him? Fuck, I am still not so sure I can do this without him.
I am just beyond distraught. Here is a man in his late 30s being given another week to a month (doctors think more like a week). How do I interact with a man whom I consider a brother (not shitting, just like a brother) and maintain composure when he may not even be aware of his fate? I am scared. Not because he may find out, that will happen one way or another. I am scared of what life will be like without him. I am scared because he is the one thing that was always there, we thought we would grow old together, marry women, have retarded children, maybe even go to law school together.
I wish I was exaggerating. Everyone is walking on egg shells, more concerned about me than him. I tell them to worry for him. Pray for him. VISIT him.
So many people he has touched and driven to better things.
So many memories I refuse to let my mind lock onto because I am so fucking afraid of my reaction.
They say he is going away.
I am asking for a fucking miracle. Just this once.
Sorry, I gotta go. Either way, how should I handle this? Honest to God, I am at a loss.
Anything.
Thank you.
