Page 1 of 1

Lost: The End

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 am
by Reylan Talonspyre
Well, I won't lie ... I really am not a big fan of the show. The cast is great. The story line though really annoyed rather than entertained. Unlike shows like V and even BSG, Lost played to the serial cliffhanger too much. At one point they asked, "What will happen to [insert character here]?" My response, "Who the hell cares?"

But last night I watched like much of America. I thought Kate looked much better, though she has kind of got less attractive as time has gone on. I cried with the rest of people when the Kwons came back! THANK GOD! I LOVE THEM!

Juliet and Sawyer were good too. Linking up with much of her death in last season's finale.

It was nice.

Now, the real question, did you get it?

Here is my take on Abrams look at the afterlife. It is a place you wait until your are ready to move on to heaven. Even if someone dies after you, they will still be there when you get there, lets be honest, time would have no relevance there. It is a place that allows you to try and do better, or suffer the same consequences of your actions.

Jack spent 6 years of his life on a crazy ass supernatural island. He spent it with a group of great people who he came to love and care for, he died saving them. So they made sure that they would be there for him when the time was right.

Overall ... predictable. If you look at the weird moments that don't fit that theory:

1. Desmond knowing about the afterlife and having lived there, even though he was still alive.
2. Jacob and Smokey don't end up there.
3. Why does Jack have a son? Who the fuck is the kid and why is he there?
4. I guess Richard can get a gray hair but he wasn't in purgatory ... guess he didn't die. He must be ruling the world even as they speak.

So the show ended twice.

Ending A: The crew, minus Jack, escape the island and make it home.

Ending B: Jack dies and sees their plane just before death ... then he and their future souls go into the afterlife together and he gets to make out with Kate again. Yay!

Honestly, overall it was about as good as the BSG finale. Same odd spiritual focus, odd resolution, few explanations (angel-Starbuck, Six/Gaius angels), and tear jerked moments (President Rosalyn's death). Get used to it Fringe fans ... you are next.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:35 am
by Gerien
There are so many things in my life more worth my time than this show. Taking a shit comes to mind.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 am
by Reylan Talonspyre
... or posting in here to tell us how much more important other things are.

How awesome.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 am
by Gili
Gerien wrote:There are so many things in my life more worth my time than this show. Taking a shit comes to mind.

lol

I quite enjoyed the first season, despite the randomness of some sessions. Now i say sessions, cos to me the program just seemed like a bad table top rpg game...with the gm generating random encounters(polar bear, hatches, black wibbly smoke "thing" ) rather than an overall plot.

Think i watched season 2 as well...but was really getting tired with all the mysteries for mysteries sake. I think the whole program would have been axed a lot earlier hadn't it been for the decent characters in the show. Maybe when im really bored, i'll look to watch the rest....but i doubt it

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 am
by MoP
Freckles is cute.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:18 pm
by Stryfe
My guess is Richard Alpert wasn't in the purgatory because it was not the most important time of his life. That was with his wife. :o So he probably met her in some other purgatory.


No idea why Jack has a son, that pissed me off too. That kid was a whiney little fuck too.

I wish they hadn't dropped the Walt storyline and explained why the fuck he was special.


I'll summarize the first 5 seasons for everyone else.


WAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLT

WAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLT


MY BAYBAY, WHERE'S MAH BAYBAY

HE'S TRYING TO HURT MAH BAYBAY





WAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLT, MY BOY, WAAAAALLLLT

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 am
by Reylan Talonspyre
Funny, I thought it was about John Locke just being all mysterious and shit.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 am
by bigSparky
Watched the first episode of season one. Rather enjoyed it. Went to watch the second, and it was a repeat, due to something or other going on in the world/nation. Decided, okay, that was just a fluke, I'll watch the third week. Again, a repeat of the previous two weeks. I gave up. Tried a few episodes towards the end of season one, but my interest had already waned.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 pm
by tubs
Why did they have to conclude it with such an in-your-face purgatory storyline? It was incredibly corny imo. The last seasons kinda sucked. There were a few good episodes but meh.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 pm
by Kenos
The ending was a cop out because it did not deliver on the mysteries of the island, which was the entire focus of the previous 5 seasons. Ultimately you don't need to have watched the 5 previous seasons to follow season 6. It was a good finale for a generic set of characters set in a generic background (could have been compton or adis abeba or something), but not a particularly good finale for lost. Now the writers could probably point out that everything was explained as much as needed to be explained. They gave all the information the characters themselves had access to. E.g. we know how the smoke monster was created because Jacob could tell us this. We don't know what the island light or the smoke monster actually is scientifically, what the consequences of putting the light out out or having the smoke monster escape would be because not even Jacob really knew this. We can also make a lot of assumptions, for example that it was Jacob who brought Darma to the island to help him fight the smoke monster, or that Ben had been mislead by the smoke monster a long time before the losties arrived on the island (I highly doubt Jacob would have wanted to kill the Darma folks, but the smoke monster sure did). Still they should not have marketted the island so much if they knew they would pretty much ignore the good stuff it the way they did.

So my beef is with the lack of ending the many questions concering the island satisfactoraly, but the ending as a concept (waiting room for the afterlife) as such I was OK with.

About the sudden presence of Jack's son or the absence of other people. You have to take into account that the sideways universe is not real. It is a waiting room for people not ready to move on. Its creators died with unresolved issues and this affects the content of their waiting room. Jack's main issue was his skewed relationship with his father. His mind/soul played this out by creating a son for him where he took the chance to rectify their relationship. The fact that they created their own waiting room also explains why some people aren't in it. They may be out there in limbo somewhere but they weren't important for the people in this waiting room.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 am
by Atla
Sawyer was the only reason the show was worth watching.

And even that couldn't keep me intrigued after watching the first 3 seasons. Shit just got wierder and nothing was explained. It was to 'fly by pants' for me.

Pass!

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:06 am
by Reylan Talonspyre
I skipped season 2-4 ... watched the last season because my brother bet me I would get hooked.

I got hooked. But it did have that feel of "We are just throwing shit at the wall!"

Like a random D&D adventure.

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 am
by MoP
Wait!

There was a storyline in the series? :shock:

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:01 pm
by Reylan Talonspyre
So I have been told.

I believe it was "Wow, Kate is hot, I wonder how far we can market that?"

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:25 am
by Kaz
I've watched LOST right the way through from seaon 1. I wont say that I din't like the final episode. It was well written and cleared up a selection of points.

However,

The first thing I said after if finished was 'Is that it?'

Too many questions were left unsaid, and the big super question was what we all assumed, even though they had said that it 'wasn't purgatory' after season 1 or 2.

Good episode, could have been MUCH MUCH better

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:09 am
by tubs
A better ending for Lost;

Image

Re: Lost: The End

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 pm
by Reylan Talonspyre
OK, tubs that made me poop a little.