Page 1 of 2

Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:54 am
by Lilim Savanant
Do you ever find yourself snacking on things that really weren't intended as snacks while perfectly good snack foods sit in your cupboards waiting to be eaten?

I ponder this as I cram bits of a cheese slice into my mouth that I'm picking apart with my fingers, knowing full well there's a great, big, packet of custard creams sitting under the cereal shelf just dying to be opened and consumed with much gusto.

What other strange snacks do people consume in favour of more regular snacks?

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 am
by owly
i like Lehimoi it's dryed sweetened plum a common snack in Hawaii.......

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 am
by Nether
onions, eat em like apples

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 am
by owly
Damn Nether.........

last time i ate a onion raw is when i was eating Maui onion there sweet not bitter, i knew a guy would eat onion of any kind too. He liked pickle ginger as well............

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:10 am
by Nether
Eh grew up poor and thats all there was, after awhile I developed a taste for it, rarly do it anymore though, the wife hates it.

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:11 am
by mogami
Hi, SNACKS??? Cheese slices are snacks??? Thats what I eat for supper when I am lucky enough to have access to them... Snacks??? (with apologies to Jim Mora)

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:17 am
by owly
Nether

Eat one and give her a big kiss for me :mrgreen: :geek:

edit/quoted the wrong person lol

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am
by owly
Oh incase your wondering how i get my lehimoi, my sisters send them they both live in Hawaii.........

i like them cheese tubes thingies i don't know what they're called but i love um. i love cheese nips too..............

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:23 am
by bigSparky
So, I'm thinking biscuits? I love biscuits. Then I remembered you're one of them foreign types and call cookies biscuits. :P But that's cool because I like them both. I used to go by this Gas station that sold the best buttermilk biscuits. I would get them plain and they would look at me like I was nuts for not getting the sausage, eggs, and cheese.

But good cheese is a very good snack. With or without crackers. I'm partial to extra sharp cheddar and swiss cheese myself. I also like that marbled colby-jack. Another snack I will have is Rice Krispies, Rice Chex, or Froot Loops. Heck, I sometimes have that for dinner. I've also been known to have chili for breakfast, so call me crazy.

And I also used to eat onions like apples. Haven't done it in a long time now though. Lemons or limes too.

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:33 am
by owly
bigSparky wrote:Lemons or limes too.
yuck

although dryed lemon peel is good

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 am
by Nagash
Biscuits are good snacks. Or potato chips. Chocolate cookies. Cipollata sausages. Or Merguez.

Good snacks aplenty :)

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:22 pm
by owly
i like burnt spam sometimes

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 pm
by Nagash
Spam is nasty enough in itself. Eating burned spam is masochistic. :P

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:47 pm
by owly
Spam is a hawaiian thing, you'd be amazed at how expensive spam in hawaii is..........

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:13 am
by Lady Maven
I think the closest thing Europeans have to our biscuit is a scone, but I think scones are usually sweet. AT least all the ones I have had are. The one thing Eurpoeans have access to that we do not is Tim Tams, and I would be willing to go back to war for them. Pepperidge Farm makes a rendition but they aren't the same.

And Owly is right about that Spam thing it is served in fine dining restaurants and is pircey stuff.

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 am
by Lilim Savanant
Really? I've always viewed spam as the human version of dog food. I'll eat it if choice is not an option, but more than likely swimming in ketchup.

I've always been a little confused by the whole cultural difference in what is called a biscuit. They tried to explain it on QI but I wasn't paying complete attention.

And for some reason I love fig rolls, but can't stand figs. ~shrugs~

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:13 am
by Lady Maven
What we call biscuits is rather like a scone, but usually lighter in texture. mmmm... more like a dumpling I suppose, but not wet. Actually that is a good analogy. Picture a rolled (as opposed to very wet drop) dumpling that is not boiled but baked. We often serve it with butter and jam or a gravy poured over the top. They are not usually eaten for desert or a snack, but served with meals like a yorkeshire pudding might be. In fact the first time I ordered a yorkershire pudding when I was a kid my first thought was that it was rather like a hollow biscuit.

And I do believe I would rather resort to cannibalism than eat spam. I despise the salty gooey stuff.

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:18 am
by Lilim Savanant
The idea of calling anything vaguely like a yorkshire pudding a biscuit scrambles my brain.

Also, pickled beetroot. Mmmmmm, now that's an awesome snack. I can just sit there eating them out of the jar.

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 am
by owly
Pickle kimchee (cucumbers) is the bomb

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:02 am
by Lady Maven
Oh, Lillim JARED pickled beats?? No no no. When I put some down (can them) I will send you a nice homemade jar. There is nothing to compare.

I get what you mean with the biscuit thing though. It scrambles our brains to call something that looks like a french fry a "chip" and crisp is a verb here not a noun.

Funny that we call our language English and not American. I wonder why that is?