Page 1 of 3

Monarchy Study

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:07 pm
by Masta
Hi all. I am conducting a whole bunch of research on Monarchygame.com as well as the former sites for this particular game and boards. Basically, covering the community from start to finish. However, I'm not studying it to put together a 12 year history. I am studying it for my internet communities class, and the point is to study the community itself, not so much the website/forum.

So, here is my dilemma; I am having trouble finding any good archives from the ole days, so any archives that work would be greatly appreciated (links or whatever.) However, I also really need some more interviews. I have interviewed the few people I play with and have the ability to still contact, but over the years I have lost contacts for many many players and friends. So, I am hoping that maybe some of the people either lurking, just posting, or even still actively playing, will participate in some very brief interviews. I promise to keep the questions short, and to the point. I also do not mind granting total anonymity for those who wish to conceal their identities in my paper. This is a paper I am writing for a University class. The only person who is going to read it is my instructor, so there is really nothing to worry about, but at the same time, if you don't want me to even use your online handle, I will change it to something meaningless or just refer to you anonymously in the paper.

So, basically, I need some first-hand account interviews. Just answering questions about things like what the community means to you. If someone from the community has ever helped you with a real life issue. If you have ever met anyone IRL from this community... Stuff like that. Basically questions that get at the point that the domain serves to host the game and forums, but the real fact of the matter is that we have built a real community here, be it cyber or not. And my mission is to explore that community aspect and have something to say about it by the time I finish my term paper...

So if you would like to volunteer to meet with me on a messenger service, in a chat room, etc... to be interviewed for my paper, please PM me, or reply here if you do not mind others knowing that you are participating. Again, it won't take long. Probably like 10-15 minutes.

ps. If I don't get a real big reply on this, or if I just feel like I need more data, then I will also be posting a survey, either in this thread or another, depending on what direction this thread takes... The survey would essentially be an interview that you could fill out on your own time and either re-post with answers filled in, or more preferrably, PM or email to me with the answers filled in.

TIA

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:07 pm
by owly
i'll be willing to do it you can use my real name or my handle it's only for your instructor eyes. i'll pm you my number......

edit/i think it's cool you decided to use my home away from home for your paper.......

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:04 pm
by Sturm
Sure and between Owly and myself offering we've already given you an answer to...
Masta wrote:If someone from the community has ever helped you with a real life issue.

Mind you we've all done this in one way shape or form, over the last decade...lol

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:01 pm
by Gerien
PM me your email. I did an ethnography on Evernight (now Monarchy) and the creation of online communities. I can send it to you for reference.

<edit> It's 20 pages with cover and references, so I'm not going to get lynched by posting it here.</edit>

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:48 pm
by owly
i would love to read your paper Gerien

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 pm
by Nether
same here

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 am
by Sturm
Same
And then I'll put back on the book shelf, and not the book bin....lmao ;P

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 am
by owly
i wonder if anyone else could say this, but this game sayed my life......

Don't believe me? Just check out my 'i'm very troubled' thread......

i been here since the old monarchy looking over Hatamas shoulder while she read the boards. and i have to say being apart of the game has been the best time of my life. Well me and Hatama was apart of the game together and now that i'm alone i can still say this game is a strong part of my life. i heard that there was a rumor that tom hanks played, i wonder if that's true or not? i only wish that the game had numbers of 5 to 6 years ago.......

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:52 am
by Dr. Who
I used to spend nearly half of every work day here, and all of off-days here..

For many years.

Then I left.

And now I don't want to talk about it.

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:01 am
by Gerien

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:42 am
by Sturm
Well that was refreshingly cool, thx Gerien.

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:02 pm
by Nagash

Did you ever mail that one to the Decae btw?

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:13 pm
by owly
It was cool reading about evernight i liked the interview with Lady Aria the best. It captured my attention all 20 pages it was fun looking at your description of Cannon, when i was finished i some how wanted more. Now i feel like posting but i have nothing to say :(

edit/all tha mentioning of DoC made me home sick......

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:30 am
by Gerien
Thanks, all. Fun to go back to my undergrad stuff. :)

@Nagash: No, maybe someone else can, although I think he might have seen of it back when I wrote it.

@Owly: I know how you feel.

@Masta: If any of it helps, feel free to reference it or use it as a starting point.

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 am
by asoc
owly wrote:i wonder if anyone else could say this, but this game sayed my life......

Don't believe me? Just check out my 'i'm very troubled' thread......

i been here since the old monarchy looking over Hatamas shoulder while she read the boards. and i have to say being apart of the game has been the best time of my life. Well me and Hatama was apart of the game together and now that i'm alone i can still say this game is a strong part of my life. i heard that there was a rumor that tom hanks played, i wonder if that's true or not? i only wish that the game had numbers of 5 to 6 years ago.......

I swear there was a rumor that Gillian Anderson played too, lol.

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:12 pm
by owly
i loved and hated the x-files but if it's true all the more power to evernight

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm
by Decae
I don't have time for a long interview, but if you had a series of questions you wanted to send to me, feel free.

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:17 pm
by Masta
wow, awesome response I see! I'm actually at school and have to run right now, but I will reply to those who have shown interest in helping on this project with their input, and also huge thanks to Gerien for sharing his project, because essentially, I am doing the SAME thing. So that is an excellent example/reference. Also, thanks so much Decae for offering to answer a brief survey. I would love your personal input on some particular questions. I mean, you're Decae! Anyhow, I gotta run, but thanks so much everyone. I know I haven't always had the best Rep around here, but I'm trying to be less of an asshole :P and I really appreciate the offers of assistance, even if I haven't always been the most pleasant of posters in the past :) . Thanks again, time for class, so gotta run. Thanks for making my day and making my project a lot easier (thanks to access to feedback) :D

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:46 am
by TEVA
I would be interested in doing it. email me at lildebs2@sbcglobal.net

Re: Monarchy Study

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm
by Teanos
The Tom Hanks thing was a joke.

I don't remember how it started but for some reason or another we used to refer to Hern as Tom Hanks.
I think maybe in some random photo of her she looked like him or something, maybe Maverick would remember. I think itw as Gen who coined that term.

To the best of my knowledge nobody super famous ever played.