Page 1 of 2
What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm
by owly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHg_71ZBro
that's mine
LOTR extended version and Close Encounters and 1941 constantly fight for 2cd place within me.......
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 am
by KingArthur10
Top pick: Muppet Treasure Island. I've watched that movie probably a hundred times (not always "watching" it). It the only movie I keep on my phone. I call it my happy movie.
Requiem for a Dream has to sit near the top spot. It's not a movie I watch remotely often, but it's truly amazing.
Also, pretty much anything Mel Brooks, Bill Murray (80's and 90's), and Monty Python sits near the top.
PS. I use to LOVE Harry and the Hendersons.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:31 am
by owly
KingArthur10 wrote:I use to LOVE Harry and the Hendersons.
Anything Bil Murray is classic to me, he makes me lol everytime
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 am
by Nagash
Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction, Wayne's World, Beavis & Butt-Head Do America, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Boondock Saints, The Big Lebowsky.... all good stuff
And I agree with the Arthur:
KingArthur10 wrote:Also, pretty much anything [...] Monty Python sits near the top.
Add Blackadder to that too. But I see that more as sketch stuff rather than moveis. Even brilliant ones like Life of Brian.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 pm
by Jezebel
I love Life of Brian, Holy Grail is up there, too. But I also felt Life of Brian was brilliant
(the first few series of Blackadder is also brilliant

)
I have so many favorites, this post would be unreadable if I listed them all. These are only a few:
Mel Brooks in his golden years (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, etc)
Monty Python
Bill Murray films (Groundhog Day being one of my top favorites)
Most Tim Burton films.
Nearly all SF films. Even the Black and White B-movies. Harryhausen, for example, was brilliant at stop action. Peter Jackson's version of Lord of the Rings. Chris Nolan's take on the Batman series.
Alfred Hitchcock films.
Just about anything made by the Coen Brothers.
A Clockwork Orange (X-rated version only)
A lot of Classic films:
Lawrence of Arabia. Citizen Kane. Humphrey Bogart films. Katharine Hepburn films.
Bah. This list is already too long. I like movies. You have a cool story to tell, very well acted, funny as hell or even just beautifully filmed - I like them.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm
by Nagash
You have good taste in movies, Jezzah!
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 pm
by Nether
Harry Potter
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:07 am
by bigSparky
I can't say that I have one absolute favorite. Quite a few that I WILL watch whenever they are on. Sullivan's Travels, 1941, with Veronica Lake and Joel McCrea, and also with Veronica Lake, I Married a Witch. Almost anything with John Wayne, but especially The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, McLintock!, North to Alaska, and The Shootist. Brannigan, Hellfighters, and The Green Berets are the only three of his I don't like and refuse to watch. I love Tarantino flicks. I think Reservoir Dogs is my fave over Pulp Fiction though. Grindhouse beats them both.
The Last Samurai is one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever watched.
Gross Pointe Blank. Cusack may be the best actor of our time. If you have not yet seen The Jack Bull, I very highly recommend it.
A couple of fairly recent westerns also surprised me. Both have Robert Duvall. One is Broken Trail along with Thomas Haden Church. The other would be Open Range with Kevin Costner.
But hey, don't listen to me. I also loved Sin City, Waterworld, and Tank Girl.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 am
by owly
Another 1941 did you Know that 1941 was to be centered around Belushi but he keeped on showing to work blasted out of his mind. It pissed Steven.S off to no ends. Finally they re write the script as they went and Belushi only got small parts here and there. It considered as Steven Spielberg only flop to date. But if you ask me it's no flop at all but one of Steve's biggest hits.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm
by Lady Maven
I used to make movies with my friends. Nothing we ever intended for anyone but us to see, think of it as video taping a LARP I suppose. Star Wars fanfic etc. My favorite was a collaboritive work titled "Merlin on a Soccer Field"
The whole thing is based on switching back and forth in the viewers frame of reference between Merlin advising a young King Arthur (in the case we make the assumption that this is the first time the two have met) and a social outcast advising the captain of a high school soccer team. I will outline it below, assume red is the social outcast and blue is Merlin.
Opens on a boy watching a soccer game between two highschools. The team from his school is losing badly, and the soccder captain wants to concede defeat
Cut to Merlin watching a skirmish between King Arthur and insurectionists, Arthur is losing men rapidly and they are considering a retreat. Merlin walks to where Arthur has pulled back and is instructing one of his men
Soccer Captain sits down on a bench next to the Outcast
Merlin: You are not using your men in the most optimum way. If you were to ..
Outcast: switch that guy and this guy, you would find their talents are better suited to those positions
Arthur: Who are you old man and why
Soccer Captain: do you care if we win or lose? You never paid attention to our games before
Merlin: What do you have to lose?
Outcast: you were planning to quit anyway
Arthur and soccer captain take the suggestions and to their amazement find themselves winning their conflicts
Outcast gather his books and bag and starts to leave. The soccer catain runs up: "wait where are you going, stay, we could really use you
Merlin walks away from the field. Arthur stops him:"wait! I could use an advisor with your mind!
Outcast: I have to leave now, but when you need me
Merlin: I'll be back
For continuity and seemless transition, we had both sides do a complete sketch and then spliced them together. The real script had a lot more interaction, the Outcast gives specifics to soccer plays and Merlin gives specific battle advice, but I know little about either one so I could not include it here. It was really cool when we finished it though. The copies of that movie have all been lost over the years, sure wish we still had it. Though I was just telling the old man the other day that we should get back into making movies like that.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:06 pm
by owly
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 am
by Amb
Some of my favorites are Sweet Home Alabama, Reality Bites, Grease, Leap Year, The Proposal and other pretty girly movies lol but Holy Grail does rank up there pretty far

Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:38 pm
by Kethry
Equilibrium
Grandma's Boy
all three Back to the Future movies
The Princess Bride
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Sword of the Stranger
Mallrats
Clerks
Moulin Rouge
Sherlock Holmes
Those are my top ones, ones that I'll watch if they're on regardless of how many times I've seen them.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am
by Teanos
I have Grandma's Boy downloaded to a thumb drive for instant watching, love that movie.
But the movies that I will actually stop and watch if I see them on TV no matter how far into them are:
Saving Private Ryan
Forest Gump
Black Hawk Down
I have no idea why, but anytime I catch them on Spike or TBS or one of those other stations that plays them all the time, I stop and watch them.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:40 am
by Maverick
Harder to say than I thought.
For comedy Id say Mallrats or something like Tommy Boy, Billy Madison.
Ill think about it.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 am
by owly
Hey Maverick WB
Grandma's Boy That's goingto be a classic, thankyou i forgot all about that movie, i put it on my wish list and will order either the blueray or dvd......
edit/i ordered tommy boy last month tee-hee
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:32 pm
by Grunt
Idiocracy
Pirates of the Caribbean
Schindler's List
Starship troopers
The Chronicles of Riddick
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:19 pm
by owly
Bill Murray's 'what about bob' and 'meatballs'

Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 am
by bigSparky
Is the third Riddick any good? I hadn't even heard of it until I was getting a dvd for Tolvaj at Christmas and saw a trilogy for sale.
Re: What's your favorite movies
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm
by Grunt
The third is a cartoon it is between the other two
I thought it sucked