Page 1 of 1
Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am
by KingArthur10
Hello all,
I have the opportunity to take a job across the bay from Seattle in Bremerton, Wa as a planetarium director, consultant, seller, developer, jack of all trades

. The job, as long as we can decide on a good price, is something that I'd love to do. It's with a small company that has been around for going on 8yrs now, and I'd be the 6th employee, which is rather risky for me (I'm typically not much of a risk taker), but I think the risk could be worth it.
I currently live in little town Southern Ohio, and am soliciting thoughts from those of you who have either lived out there or who have taken jobs far away from "home." The logistics of such a move will take me away from my family who all live in Ohio (and for the most part, have always lived in Ohio except for .mil training etc).
Any thoughts/experiences you'd like to share? I'd appreciate anything you could provide. Also, I would appreciate any things that would make such a transition easier and questions I should make sure I get answered before accepting such a job.
Thanks all!
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 am
by owly
U sure you want to move away from all your family?
i'd say if you do that the job pays you well, if not it's not worth it......
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 am
by KingArthur10
The job itself isn't all about pay; it's about doing something that I really like and want to continue doing. I've been assistant directing a planetarium for about 2.5yrs and have been working in it for about 4.5yrs. I absolutely love it, but the planetarium is unable to keep me on payroll due to state budget cutbacks in the university system.
So, although my degree is in Math with a focus in Statistics, I'd much prefer to continue working in a public outreach, non-traditional education setting. Part of my responsibilities would also entail designing and executing my own statistical study dealing with the efficacy of planetarium's on students' education.
I know the sacrifice would be great, and pay in the field is not going to be close to six figures, but it could provide me with opportunities for the future. I'd also be close to University of Washington, so I could take grad courses part time there while working full time.
My big issue is, I have no experience in moves like this, nor the area (I just got back from visiting it during the AAS meeting). All prior moves have been paid for and organized by the military. I'm still trying to see if a guard unit might be willing to PCS me out there which would save a ton of money, but it's not likely.
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:10 am
by owly
Ah happiness that's a damn good reason......
i wish i could help you with the locating aspect but i can't

Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 am
by owly
We act as though comfort and luxury where the chief requirementss of life, when all we really need to make us really happy to be enthusiastic about is of simpler things.......
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 am
by Jezebel
I grew up in rural Michigan, went to school in AZ, when to grad school in Maryland, and finished my PhD in Nevada. Moved to Oregon for a temp job, now in Texas for a permanent job. I'm well seasoned in long moves.
I've never regretted the moves, and I have a job I love because of all of those moves. I will say to avoid hiring movers unless it's a very reputable (thus expensive) company. You're almost better off doing it yourself (which I did for all my moves) because of the number of scammer moving companies out there.
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 pm
by Wretch
The land is pretty out there and the social climate is progressive. The economy in the region is better than in most of the country, and UW is a solid place to do grad work which may help you ultimately close in on those 6 figures. With your current employment in a dicey position, it sounds like you're going to have to make adjustments irrespective of what you choose regarding going west. With these considerations in mind, I'd say go for it.
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm
by Blu
Seattle is one of the best places I ever had the pleasure of visiting. Their summer is like fall in the south. The sun doesn't set until 8ish in the summer. It's nice and breezy so no need for AC; I dont even think my cousins had a unit. There is a rainy season but I think I always got the tail-end of it when I visited, so not much I can comment on there. THe only drawback was the harsh winters they been having. I heard of several incidents of people dying because of trying to keep warm with a bbq pit indoors. (Dumb I know but desperate people in desperate times.)
Seafood there is great. The Chinatown area has good dim sum and peking duck.
Visited UW a couple of times. It is a huge campus (compared to LSU).
I once considered moving there after law school but plans changed with getting married and finding a job and all.
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:45 am
by Captain Ron
Go to iTunes, download the song "Move to Bremerton" by MXPX and then make your decision.
But seriously, what I do is make a list of the pros and cons of moving or staying put. I usually find that I just make up more pros for what I really want to do in my head. That usually makes my decision for me. My parents have been supportive in any decision that I make. They are also good at telling me when I am being a dumbass. Talk to your family about it. I am assuming they aren't crazy and would want to kill you if you try to leave. If they are crazy, pick up and leave now.

Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:41 am
by owly
I am assuming they aren't crazy and would want to kill you if you try to leave. If they are crazy, pick up and leave now.
lol
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 am
by Lady Maven
Captain Ron wrote: Talk to your family about it. I am assuming they aren't crazy and would want to kill you if you try to leave. If they are crazy, pick up and leave now.

Sound advice and EXACTLY what I did.
Someone once said to me that I move a lot. All I can say is if you knew my family you would feel the need to present a moving target as well.
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 am
by KingArthur10
Thanks for all of the input so far everyone. It's good to hear first hand accounts of good and bad things in moving that far. Jez, that's for the tip. We were planning on doing it ourselves.....I am NOT looking forward to all of that driving, but the month prior to the move, I'll be in Delaware doing maintenance for a guard unit out there, so that will all be money stocked up for a move (no matter where we move.....Portsmouth, Oh is not a place to stay).
I've discussed things lightly with family, and they're supportive of the move. I still am waiting to hear an offer for how much they are willing to pay, so this might be for nothing, but it I'm crossing my fingers.
Thanks again!
Arthur
Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 am
by owly
i hope they help out, sounds like a good job for you and your be able to go to school at the same time, wicked cool. i'm thinking of going to school myself and learn about the sky i can't wait! Anyways i hope the best for you and yours......
You and Mav seem to both have good jobs lined up. it coulndn't make me happier, it makes me happy when my family here is happy. i'd be willing to throw you a 20 spot to donate to your cause just let me know your adress

Re: Thoughts on Seattle & far moves
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 pm
by KingArthur10
bah....wrong thread.