Page 1 of 1

External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 am
by Lady Maven
Anyone have any experience with them? I have decided to keep a double redundant back up system and I am considering them. I currently use just an external drive (Maxtor) but that assumes nothing catastrophic happens to my entire home. Carbonite seems reasonable 55 a year for unlimted storage, but was hoping to get someone with a first hand knowledge POV

Also, what are you guys using as an external for your XBox? Any idea if a slave drive can be installed? The web is full of varying degrees of success with that.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:04 am
by MoP
For my XBox, I use all storage devices on my home network as external storage. For my X360, I have an internal 250GB disc + the external home network storage.

As for external storage: I use Bullguard and it comes with 5GB of backup storage, Picasa has my pictures (can be extended, $5 for 20GB), Dropbox has some critical files, Gmail has some stuff as well. All in all I have about 50GB of external storage for free, and I'm not using a tenth of it.

Of course, if you want to backup movies, MP3s etc, you can use unlimited storage. But then again, you can find all of that on the internet, so there you have your free unlimited storage anyway.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:07 am
by Lady Maven
These aren't movies and MP3's like that. Mostly they are of my grandson. You know, the kind of stuff you can't replace. I use Picasso for my pics as well.

I have a 250 in my 360 but I like to download a lot of games. Beats going to the store any day, but needs a lot of storage.

I wonder if Maxtor would work on it...

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:30 am
by Gili
i tend to email my gmail account with pics or docs i wanna keep. :)

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:15 pm
by Teanos
slim external hard drive, fire proof safe.
Save for a bomb going off in my house, or someone wanting to steal a big ass safe, its the easiest thing to do.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 am
by Lady Maven
I should get a safe for my external. Or store it off site.

I have paid up my Carbonite. So far I like it. but I do not have anything trully secret squirrel stored on it.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 am
by Teanos
My only concern with sites like Carbonite is - they are not something you have control over.
If a super virus breaks out and exposes all the data these data storage places house, all your private stuff could end up out there, or in the hands of someone who can use it.

Plus, Carbonite installs itself with the new version of Adobe Reader. I hate products that package themselves with others.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:43 am
by Teanos
For the record, I never used to care about my personal data getting out on the net. I still don't for the most part.

But after going through some of the training I've been forced to because I work at a bank, it is freaking scary what someone who is determined to steal data can do.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:06 am
by Lady Maven
There is nothing too classified on any computer I own that accesses the internet at all. BUT the stuff I have stored is very important to me. Which is why I have a slave drive an external AND now Carbonite.

Of course more than half my storage is game stuff. I am a sick sick woman.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm
by Captain Ron
I got a PogoPlug for Christmas and it seems to be pretty cool. It works like your own personal Network Attached Storage. You can also access it from any computer whether you are on your home network or not. To the cloud as it were. I have not messed around with it too much. I am just hosting a few things right now. Some pics and music, a couple docs.

Reportedly, you can use it to stream to your XBOX. I have not tried this yet because I haven't put any movies on it. I've been trying to set it up so that I can have my iTunes playlists pop up properly.

I like it because it has multiple USB ports to plug into. You can access it by your browser or software installed onto a computer. They have iPhone, iPad, and Android apps as well. Uploading smaller files is not too bad either. I have not tried anything bigger than a couple MB though.

It isn't for everyone, but it is a cool project if you are into things like that.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 am
by Nagash
Teanos wrote:slim external hard drive, fire proof safe.
Save for a bomb going off in my house, or someone wanting to steal a big ass safe, its the easiest thing to do.

Did the same, except mine is not fire proof. It's the cheapest solution, doesn't involve any web apps or other privacy sensitive stuff, and it works when you want it to and how you want it to.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 pm
by Lady Maven
Carbonite is crap. Can't upload progs or anything over 4GB.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 am
by Jokingjoe
What xbox360 games do you guys play? I'm always looking for more people to play with online.

Some of my library: Borderlands, Ghostbusters, Halo3, ODST, Halo:Reach, HaloWars, BlackOps, RainbowSix Vegas2, Gears of War2, Catan, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead2, 1942, Zombie Apocalyse, Splosion Man, Death Spank, Age of Booty.

Let me know if you'd be interested in playing..any of you.

StormsurgedNIR is my 360 ID.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:41 am
by Lady Maven
Oh Joe, you did NOT want to ask about my X-Box addiction.

Currently ANYTHING DA:O or DA:2, Mass Effect, re-playing both 1&2 gearing up for 3's release in November, because in my first play through I was with Kaden but dumped him for Thane, and now they are bringing Kaden back (or Ashley if you saved her instead) already paid for it. Also played Fable 3 have the new Traitor DLC but have not played it yet. L.A. Noir is pretty good so far. Fall Out New Vegas was kinda disappointing, pretty much same shit different city and except for a few minor changes, like the clean/dirty water lake nothing much seems to have made a difference.

heh, hubby just bought Ghostbusters, nothing like 80's flasbacks when I suddenly hear "Who ya gonna call" from the living room!

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 am
by Jokingjoe
Maven:

Ghostbusters and Fable3 are the only ones I could assist you with. I own Ghostbusters but haven't actually played it beyond one online scenario.

I have all but completed Fable3. I didn't get the undercity expansion, but I did get the prison one. I closed out the original achievements, so if you need any of the guns or clothing items, let me know, I'll be happy to share.

My screen name is King Joe on XboxLive, send me a friend request.

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:54 am
by Lady Maven
Will do, the account is in my husbands name Iberius

If you have not played Dragon Age yet, you should try it. I am a total addict

Re: External Storage - Carbonite etc.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 pm
by Jokingjoe
I played it through once, and started a 2nd play through.