High def TV VGA vs HDMI
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 pm
Ok, so I recently purchased a 32" 1080i 120hz LED flat screen to use as my monitor for my comp. I'm running a two year old Gateway GT5620 with onboard graphics. OS is Vista home premium. The picture is great aside from a bit of aspect ratio issues I have. I'm used to a square display from my 19" Planar monitor, so I don't have quite the vertical display area I am used to. I can change the ratio of course and wind up with a similar square-ish display, but that seems to defeat the purpose of the bigger screen, then using only about half of the horizontal area.
Anyway, the picture is fantastic, but I can't help thinking it could be better if I throw a little more money at it.
Here are my questions then:
1. I can get a VGA to HDMI cable to replace the VGA to VGA I am using now. The only output from the comp is VGA. Will this make a significant improvement in picture quality?
2. The other option I have considered is to install a graphics card that supports 1080i and has the HDMI ports. I have an available PCI Express 16x2 slot for the card, but only a 300 watt power supply. I don't game on the comp to speak of, only surf the net and watch video, along with paperwork for work.
Would this option yield me a much better picture than what I have, and would I also have to change the power supply to accomplish it.
If I can achieve a FAR better picture then it might be worth it to me to go to the expense. I just don't want to throw good money after bad, so to speak. I've already added a 1TB drive to the comp plus a 180G and 350G USB hard drives, as well as a sound card. I imagine I am already taxing the power supply, but haven't had any issues...yet.
Thank you for any input you can provide.
Anyway, the picture is fantastic, but I can't help thinking it could be better if I throw a little more money at it.
Here are my questions then:
1. I can get a VGA to HDMI cable to replace the VGA to VGA I am using now. The only output from the comp is VGA. Will this make a significant improvement in picture quality?
2. The other option I have considered is to install a graphics card that supports 1080i and has the HDMI ports. I have an available PCI Express 16x2 slot for the card, but only a 300 watt power supply. I don't game on the comp to speak of, only surf the net and watch video, along with paperwork for work.
Would this option yield me a much better picture than what I have, and would I also have to change the power supply to accomplish it.
If I can achieve a FAR better picture then it might be worth it to me to go to the expense. I just don't want to throw good money after bad, so to speak. I've already added a 1TB drive to the comp plus a 180G and 350G USB hard drives, as well as a sound card. I imagine I am already taxing the power supply, but haven't had any issues...yet.
Thank you for any input you can provide.