Why am I not eating biscuits?

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Post by Nagash » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 am

Lilim Savanant wrote:Really? I've always viewed spam as the human version of dog food. I'll eat it if choice is not an option, but more than likely swimming in ketchup.

I've always been a little confused by the whole cultural difference in what is called a biscuit. They tried to explain it on QI but I wasn't paying complete attention.

And for some reason I love fig rolls, but can't stand figs. ~shrugs~
Agreed on the spam. It's foul stuff. At best.

And biscuits are dry cookies, sometimes covered in sugar or chocolate coated. At least over here they are. Scones are more cupcakeish, so they don't qualify as biscuits.

Crisp has many meanings:
Askoxford wrote:crisp (crisp)
Line-break: On Off Pronunciation:/krɪsp/
adjective
1 (of a substance) firm, dry , and brittle:
crisp bacon

the snow is lovely and crisp
(of a fruit or vegetable) firm and juicy:
a crisp lettuce
(of paper or cloth) stiff and uncreased:
£65 in crisp new notes
(of hair) having tight curls2 (of the weather) cool, fresh, and invigorating:
a crisp autumn day
3 (of a way of speaking) briskly decisive and matter-of-fact, without hesitation or unnecessary detail:
her answer was crisp
noun
(also potato crisp)Britisha wafer-thin slice of potato fried or baked until crisp and eaten as a snackverb
[with object]
1 give (something, especially food) a crisp surface by placing it in an oven or under a grill:
crisp the pitta in the oven
[no object] (of food) acquire a crisp surface in this way2 archaiccurl (something) into short, stiff, wavy folds or crinklesPhrases
burn something to a crisp
burn something completely, leaving only a charred remnant
Derivatives
crisply
adverb

crispness
noun

Origin:
Old English (referring to hair in the sense ‘curly’): from Latin crispus 'curled'. Other senses may result from symbolic interpretation of the sound of the word
I'd use it as an adjective though. Chips (or potato chips) are the thin crispy thingies which the Brits call crisps. A french fry is just a a fry here (or rather: "fritten").
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Lilim Savanant
Lost Soul
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: england

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Post by Lilim Savanant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Lady Maven wrote:Oh, Lillim JARED pickled beats?? No no no. When I put some down (can them) I will send you a nice homemade jar. There is nothing to compare.

I get what you mean with the biscuit thing though. It scrambles our brains to call something that looks like a french fry a "chip" and crisp is a verb here not a noun.

Funny that we call our language English and not American. I wonder why that is?
Maybe you still refer to your language as English so that if there's anything you don't like about it you can blame it on us. :P

Mmmmmmmm, pickled beetroots.......~drools~

One day I will journey to America and see how weirded out I get by day to day things.

User avatar
Lady Maven
Teacher
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Post by Lady Maven » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:10 am

Nah, according to popular opinion, we blame it on Mexicans.

Why just today I blamed my husband for my menopause.

You make that trip here and visit me. I pormise to weird you out.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu


How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

User avatar
Amb
Wayfarer
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:00 am

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Post by Amb » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:34 am

I actually like spam LOL but only when it's pan fried for sandwiches.. yummy!

What can I say? I grew up pretty poor and it's not all that expensive here lol
~*If you're going to walk on thin ice, why not DANCE*~

TGH - Always in my Heart

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Post by owly » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:30 am

i grew up on Simien myself i grew up poor, that's Top Ramien to you mainlanders..........

i grew up on spam too
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Why am I not eating biscuits?

Post by Nagash » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:49 am

Amb wrote:I actually like spam LOL but only when it's pan fried for sandwiches.. yummy!

What can I say? I grew up pretty poor and it's not all that expensive here lol


It's cheap as can be, but rather disgusting. A friend of mine has a theory that whoever likes the taste of spam, will willingly swallow a guy's load and thoroughly enjoy it. Which says two things:

1. His sperm tastes weird.
2. Owly is eww.
owly wrote:i grew up on Simien myself i grew up poor, that's Top Ramien to you mainlanders..........

i grew up on spam too
;)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest