showing quantity of land on scrolls

~ Development Forum for the Monarchy Online game, the Wars of Tonan miniatures game, and for planning Heros of Tonan miniatures.

Moderators: Kaz, Staff

bundesbank
Grand Arbiter of NPAC

showing quantity of land on scrolls

Post by bundesbank » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:54 pm

can i suggest removing this? maybe others are having difficulty with this, but it's relatively easy to back out people's troop setup without scouting simply by looking at networth and land size.
ich bin die bankier
NPAC

Kaz
Administrator
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz

Re: showing quantity of land on scrolls

Post by Kaz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 pm

While I can see where you're coming from, land was added for a couple of reasons and was added in the knowledge that it provides a certain amount of tactical information. Firstly it can help establish whether you would be able to declare war in games with the down-hit declaration code on (which use land as the modifier), secondly it's a much fairer ranker than networth. Third, it's much more realistic to know the size than the exact networth of a country.

As far as I can tell, the only real 'negative' is that it's now harder to exist without having forted 'something'. The info only really kills off the ability to hide your true networth by not forting.

Networth from the point of view of particular troops (e.g. offence, defence or scum) works out pretty much the same when fully forted with max cap and trained troops, so it shouldn't really help much to work out what the enemy has actually forted with, just that they 'are' forted. Sure you can guess that they are likely to be forted with specific troops based on the race, but you could predict that anyway.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

bundesbank
Grand Arbiter of NPAC

Post by bundesbank » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:53 am

Networth from the point of view of particular troops (e.g. offence, defence or scum) works out pretty much the same when fully forted with max cap and trained troops, so it shouldn't really help much to work out what the enemy has actually forted with, just that they 'are' forted.
nope. i was running full drags on two kingdoms, full scum on the other two (all four are human). discrepancy in acreage was within 300 built acres, and cash-on-hand varied within a 10mil range (22m to 32m). forts (the structure) were within a range of 100 as well.

networths were uniformly 100k+ higher when on t4 instead of scum, same as was the case back in the day in evernight.

1 493,508 (t4)
4 458,130 (t4)
16 350,710 (scum)
17 348,549 (scum)

if scum and t1 through t4 had the same nw, it would not be an issue... but given the discrepancies between the two, it provides a wealth of information on targets :)
ich bin die bankier
NPAC

Kaz
Administrator
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz

Post by Kaz » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Bundes,

I've actually recoded the income, expenses and networth code to be a little more efficient than it was in the old canon codebase. That being said, it seems that I didn't 'fully' separate expenses from networth so when I added some functionality to make scum cheaper on the expenses and forts more expensive on the expenses, it rolled into networth too.

I've written code to correct that and revert networth to how I meant it to be, but wont apply it mid-age. Perhaps you'd be up for doing a bit of testing? If so, let me know your username via PM and I'll sort out access for you to the dev environment.

That invite to test dev is open to anyone btw, just PM me to get access.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

bundesbank
Grand Arbiter of NPAC

Post by bundesbank » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 pm

i'd be more than happy to help test things out! pm sent :)
ich bin die bankier
NPAC

Return to “Tonan Development”