It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 am

Developing a primary city for The Empire (OOC) 
Voice

Post Developing a primary city for The Empire (OOC)
This thread will serve to begin discussions on a development for a primary city for The Empire.

To start things off, I will give my impression. Please do give your feedback and input.

There are some cities in Europe that are what I think of when I think of the Empire:

I imagine a fortress, or a castle sitting high within the city (Wurzburg, Germany actually was built this way) which serves as the center command. Not only is it a force to be reckoned with, but it is deep within the city, so that it does not fall first, and has the best chance of survival. It also serves as a great strategic watch, for when you are in it, you can see far beyond the walls of the city. Within it may be the residence for the Emperor.

Around this fortress sit the estates of those in power, and while they may have their own lands elsewhere, this is where they reside when they seek counsel from those that have the ear of the Emperor, or come together to discuss furthering their goal.

Farther out from this center of power are the residences of those that hold minor positions, or important businessmen. Here too may be the those that hold a position of leadership in the fighting forces.

Further out, are the buildings and households of those that ply their wares or conduct the daily business of trade. They are closer to a great river that serves both as a means of transportation and for easement of trading goods from other places. A man has to make a living, after all. Here too are the residences of those that make up the armies, and those of lesser positions.

On the outskirts of town are the residences of those less fortunate, but even here there is evidence of the ruler's hand, as towers stand strategically placed, the first line of defense. The towers may even stand with a high city wall linking them together.

Here are the pictures of cities I think of when I think of the Empire that embodies those followers of what Barnabas stands for:

Wurzburg, Germany

Torino, Italy:

These are my thoughts. What are some other thoughts or suggestions?

Mon May 12, 2008 5:56 pm
Stablehand

Post Re: Developing a primary city for The Empire (OOC)
Respectfully requesting some type of harbor/waterfront type of setting somewhere in there, please. Bustling water-side trade-town with myriad unsavoury types milling about would be appreciated. Not to mention an over-worked, under-paid, underappreciated cadre of guards...

...oh dear gods, NOW you've done it, you woke up my imagination!!!

Bad Voices! BAD BAD BAD!!!

Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?

Tue May 13, 2008 12:53 pm
Stablehand

That is very possible and since you've requested it, i'll make sure it happens. What I posted was somthin I put together before talking with anyone, just putting my thoughts together, i'll get to working on somthin that incorporates Voice Jade's vison as well as your request, that is if Jade doesn't beat me to it.

Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 pm
Voice

What if the harbour was outside the city? That way the river would still run through the city, and because it would be so close to the sea/ocean, it would be a great river.

Or the city itself could sit along the coast of a great ocean, and the city wall could extend from the ocean up and around. MUCH like Baldur's Gate city in the game? Remember that? This picture is very simplified, I am just using as an example of what I am talking about.

I like the idea of a wall, especially after seeing a picture of what Elessar envisions for the city in Islan. That city was just so secure looking.

Tue May 13, 2008 6:16 pm
Stablehand

Actually, outside the city WOULD be a better idea, for many different reasons.

I like that concept a whole lot.

Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?

Tue May 13, 2008 6:35 pm
Voice

Just a reminder that all players are welcomed and encouraged to bring forth their own ideas for a city(ies).

Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 am
Stablehand

This is the sort of architecture I see for the Empire strictly akin to ancient Rome or Greece.
Guards patrolling every street, Arena's for honourable combat which would be a popular means of settling disputes amongst the citizenry.
A vast harbour with a dry dock for the fitting of the Emperor's royal fleet.
The citizens would be stiff and rigid living by an ancient code of honour people not born to the region would be a second class citizenry filling the menial labour and unwanted occupations of the lands.

TDOD!/OSM/RK/WEEC/GOBLINS/MTS/COF/OAFS/GF

Sat May 24, 2008 2:07 pm
Stablehand

I also see The Empire as very Romanesque(sp?). You have the Emperor who supposedly rules the region, then you have young Barnabas who is from an ancient family and a general. I see the armies falling inline behind Barnabas, and you know what they say. He who controlls the army controls the Empire.

Mon May 26, 2008 1:25 pm
Stablehand

Location: Out of that pit of uncaring and beggining life anew
Well... I am thinking to start RP'ing Silverwolfe again........ I am going to have quite a bit more time to do so sometime soon, and I always describe his cities in every new land... so.... Don't have to use it if you don't want to, but here it is. Also, I dont know the geography of the empire, so "the Mountain Range" can be named something else....

Verthicha

Founded by Juriel Dlorian (aka Silverwolfe), Verthicha is the last remaining bastion of few left of his race. Situated within a valley deep within a mountain range, Verthicha is a smaller city, protected on all sides by cliffs, created years before when the rock was torn away by Juriel and his peoples magics. Some of the best weapons and armor in all the empire are known to come from Verticha. The founder of the city, Juriel, having several centuries of practice blacksmithing, for a price eagerly teaches those willing his techniques. All of his students must serve him and the city for ten years.

The city is separated into four steppes, with the lowest steppe inhabited by the lower class citizens. Many taverns and other places of vice have sprung up here. Also, a large lake created by a dam sits in the low level. Here a dock with several Warehouses sit, bringing food and other necessities into the city. On the other side of the lake, built into the mountainside sits a Massive prison, daunting, and seemingly inescapable. To the north and south are massive walls, built into the passes that lead into the city to protect it from invaders. Two large Ballista towers are built on the shore of the lake, to protect it should any enemy attempt to invade by ship.

The second Steppe is separated from the first by its own granite wall. Here reside the middle class citizens, and this area is more heavily patrolled by guards than the first. Several inns and shops dot the cobblestone roads set here in the middle district. It is booming with economy, and craftsman come from far and wide to learn the trades offered here. However, the most impressive feature of the second Steppe is the massive forge, standing nearly fifty feet tall, and taking up nearly an eighth of the second steppe. Nearly a hundred individual ovens sit within the forge, and all of the weaponry and armor produced here is unparalleled. Juriel himself is known to visit the forges on occasion.

On the third steppe, which is also separated from the other two by a large wall, the upper class citizens reside. Here one would find two Lavish hotels and several shops. The streets are marble, and lined with statues, some Ancient, made by Icarii and Sidhe sculptors aeons ago and recovered by Juriel, and his Icarii. A large museum, showcasing ancient art and weaponry sits just outside the gates of Verthicha's University. In the University, young scholars and mages are trained in their prospective arts, but the cost of admission is high, leading to only upperclass and nobles to be taught there. However, some exceptions are made for amazingly brilliant individuals.

On the fourth and final steppe, lies the Pearl Tower, where Juriel, his wife Khelestra, his two children and the few remaining Icarii reside. It is massively beautiful structure, standing over a hundred feet in tall, and iridescent in the sunlight, and accessible only by flight. At the base of the tower, and surrounding it is a lavish manor. It is here that high priority visitors and personal guests of Juriel are housed. Laying at the base of the tower against the northern cliff is Juriel's personal forge. Here Weapons and Armor are created that only few have ever wielded. Unlike the weaponry created in the forges below the city, these weapons are imbued with Icarii magics. They are gifted to only close friends, and the occasional noble. He is also rumored to have gifted a blade of some caliber to the young emperor.

Also, heres a VERY quick drawing done up in paint....
[img][IMG]http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9017/verthicharn1.th.jpg[/img][/img]

Its about skidding in sideways, screaming "Holy Shit, What a ride!"

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 pm
Voice

The Empire is being 'built', if you would, by those that inhabit it.

Your city has been added.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:40 pm