It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 am

Forging a new blade (Verthicha) 
Stablehand

Location: Out of that pit of uncaring and beggining life anew
Post Forging a new blade (Verthicha)
The courtyard rang with the clashing of metal, and the hissing of displaced air as two figures fought. Both men were winged, and were fighting masterfully. One man had dark brown hair, and silver wings. He also looked slightly older than the other. The other man, just a few inches shorter than his counterpart, had Silvery blue hair, with wings of the same color. Neither man seemed to be older than 25-30 years old.

The two were fighting with such masterful grace that it seemed almost a dance. Their blades moving with such speed that all that was visible of them were blurs, and the spark as they connected with each other. The fight moved about the courtyard as spectators watched, all silent to the proceedings. The younger man leaped back as the older made a swing towards his head. Standing a good dozen feet from his opponent, the younger man's light hair settling down on his shoulders as he gripped his sky blue blade and held it before him. The blade was a sight to behold. A beautiful curved blade with intricate red designs flowing down it, seeming to flow into the hilt, as if each was a blood vessel, traveling to a heart.

Smiling, the dark haired man charged the younger with amazing speed, and again their swords clashed. The fight went on for five more minutes before a sound, echoing like thunder echoed from the courtyard and the blade of the older mans sword went flying, and a cloud of dust erupted around the two combatants. When the dust settled, the older man was on the ground, with the younger's sword at his throat.

Raising his hands in the air, and dropping the hilt of his broken sword, the older man smiled once again. "I concede, my son. Your swordsmanship is astounding for one so young."

Lowering his blue blade, the younger man returned it to its sheath, frowning. "You were holding back Father. I could tell by the way you were fighting. You were holding back. When you battle Manhael, you are nowhere near as slow."

Still smiling, the older man stood. "Yes, Iscaron, I was holding back. But you must understand, I have had over a thousand years to practice with my blade, while you have had merely twenty. I fought at a level that matched your own. Manhael and I both lived on the Isle of Maxim, when It was still a young island. We were constantly at war, and constantly fighting each other, and later as allies, battling our enemies. But Even then I was nowhere near as good as you are with a blade. You make me proud my son."

Shaking his head, the younger man Knelt before his father. "Lord Juriel, I hope that battle was enough to prove to you that I am ready to serve in the cities Army. To protect this City's and the Empire's citizens from outside harm."

Smiling, Juriel turned and motioned for one of his Icarii retainers to move forward. Drawing the retainers blade, he turned back to his son. Dropping the blade to one of his sons shoulders, he spoke.

"By rite of this ceremony, you are, from this point forward, until the point you fulfill your service a member of the Cthyllvistha*. The Cthyllvistha are an elite force of Icarii warriors. Always striking silently from the air, their attacks are devastating. They show no mercy to the enemy, and give no quarter. To die in battle as a Cthyllvistier is an honor known to no other. However, to the citizenry and to allies of the empire, the compassion of these elite twenty is known to be great. Should you bring shame, or mar the name of the Cthyllvistha you shall be imprisoned for two hundred years in the deepest, lightless levels of the Abyss, Verthicha's own prison. Now, rise my son, and join the ranks of this Glorious brotherhood."

Embracing his son as he stood, Juriel Dlorian, the lord of Verthicha, and king of the Icarii smiled. The silent crowd of spectators erupted into cheer. Whispering in his sons ear, the young Icarii nodded and leaped into the air, and with a stroke of his wings, disappeared over the High wall separating this steppe from the rest.

Turning to the crowd, Juriel motioned with his hand, and it dispersed, leaving only Juriel, his wife, Khelestra and his retainer in the courtyard. Returning the sword to his retainer, he moved to pick the hilt, and the broken blade of his sword up. Holding the pieces of his sword, he sighed, and shook his head. Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he turned to see his wife, her face framed by her beautiful red hair.

"This blade was nearly as old as I am Khelestra. It was forged by the greatest Icarii and Sidhe bladesmiths of my youth, when our races were still strong. It saddens me to see it broken, but I am proud to say that I created the blade that destroyed it. It now gets its long awaited rest. I will set it on display in the museum. However, now I must craft a new blade for myself, and a blade of this caliber is very difficult to create. It will take a lot of searching to find all the materials I need. I haven't left the city in over a century. I'm in need of some good adventure, as its been ages since I have done anything worth talking about. There is a blade I need to collect from the old icarii tombs. Its my father's blade, and I have not been able to find fel steel anywhere in the empire. I used the last of what I had crafting our children's blades, and my fathers swords and armor are the only source of the metal that I currently know of."

Afterwards, I will have to visit the dark depths, and trap the essence of a demon's soul for my forge, in order to make the fel steel of my father's weaponry malleable again. Then I will have to find a mythril hammer, and a lodestone anvil. It's going to be one hell of an undertaking... But I can use a bit more adventure in my life. It's been horribly dull sitting around in the city handling politics.... I need a break. Manhael can handle things while I am gone. But first... I need to find a weapon to take the place of my blade for a while. The museum should have what I need."

At that, Silverwolfe leaped into the air, and with a stroke of his wings, was over the wall. Looking at Khelestra, Juriel's retainer, Car'vel merely shrugged and was over the wall as well.

Seeing she was now all alone in the courtyard, Khelestra shook her head and mumbles something about the gods damning impulsive men. Then she was gone also, following the two men over the wall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Cthyllvistha- An elite unit of Icarii warriors. Cthyllvistha means "the Wind" in the Icarii language. They are the last line of defense of Verthicha. Only twenty warriors strong at any time, they are comprised of ten Master Icarii Swordsman and ten Icarii mages, who's abilities match the Sidhe of Old.

Its about skidding in sideways, screaming "Holy Shit, What a ride!"

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:21 pm
Stablehand

Post Re: Forging a new blade (Verthicha)
[OOC: If anyone wants to join in, Feel free. Consider this an OPEN RP :END OOC]

As he entered the Museum, Juriel noted with a grin the Amount of Locals and foreigners visiting the well lit entrance plaza of the place. He had it built for this very purpose. He wanted to give the people a taste of what he had lived through, with the skulls of ancient dragons lining the main walls, grinning menacingly at the patrons. There was Artwork abound in the main Halls, some of it Salvaged by those who escaped the long gone Isle of Maxim. The centerpiece however Was a statue to Oleander, the only god Juriel had ever worshipped, dating to the latter days of Mo`pri. Although the wear and tear of time had gotten to it, it was still beautiful.

Moving past the artwork, Juriel moved into the Weaponry section, to an empty platform. Placing his empty blade apon it, he wove a spell in the air, making the air around it as hard as steel, preventing the blade from being touched, protecting it the same way every other piece in the museum was protected. Wandering through the weaponry, he sought a good blade to use. After passing up many pieces, He stopped in front of a particular dias. The blade lying here was an interesting sword that he had used ages past, before he had recovered his weaponry from his tomb. It was the sword, Pandemonium, a blade of pure magic. The hilt of the blade was a white golden color with a gem inset at the base so black that it seemed to suck the light out of the air. The blade itself was a mass of light and pure darkness that seemed to battle each other for dominance.

Removing the enchantments on the dias, Juriel picked up the Dual Scabbards that were lying beside the blade and strapped them on, crossed between his wings. Smiling, he reached for the sword and it began to glow, almost as if in recognition of its old master. Picking up the blade, He noticed, and remembered its weightlessness. Twirling the blade through the air, it began to hum and hiss, the air beggining to smell like burnt ozone. Bringing the hilt to his lips, he kissed it.

"Hello my old friend. It seems I have need of you once more. One more adventure, and we can finally lay you to rest."

Grasping the hilt with both hands, Juriel Pulled his hands apart, and with that, the sword split in two, becoming two seperate blades. One shone with dazzling light, and the other seemed to be of pure darkness. Slamming them each into a their scabbards, Juriel turned to his wife and grinned. At that, his form began to shift. His wings shortening, and turning into a black cloak that draped his shoulders. He shrunk a whole foot, becoming the height of an average human. His flawless features dissolving into something more rugged, a long red scar appearing over his right eye, and down his cheek. His Hair shortened slightly, to just above his shoulders and turned an even deeper black. He had become Silverwolfe, the Ranger, once more.

"I say we travel incognito. The less people who recognize us, the better."

Shrugging, Khelestra changed also, but not quite as drastic. Her wings faded away, and became a cloak also, but her face and hair stayed much the same. She also shortened to about the height of a human. Any who looked at her would think that she was simply a beautiful, red haired elf.

"Travelling on foot will take much longer. Are you sure about this?"

Laughing now, Silverwolfe gave a quick kiss to his wife. "Thats part of the reason I want to do this. We haven't gotten away in such a long time, that the longer it takes, the better. Anyway, lets head off."

Turning to his retainer, Silverwolfe put a hand on his shoulder. "Car'vel. I am going to need you to stay here and help handle things while I am gone. Make sure the castle steward stays true to his duties, and take care of my children."

Nodding curtly, Car'vel clasped hands with Silverwolfe. "Anything Milord. Be safe, and return to us when you can." Turning, he leaped in the air, and with a couple strokes of his wings, he was gone.

Pointing towards the setting sun, Silverwolfe sighed. "It is much too late to leave now... Lets go and find an inn near the docks, and see what trouble we can find."

Shaking her head, Khelestra sighed also. "I swear, when you get into your adventuring mood, you are incorrigible."

Turning, the couple left, travelling down the steppes, towards the docks.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 am
Stablehand

The lower quarter was much like he expected. Not quite squalor, but close to it. Observing the people around him, he saw that many men were staring at the blades on his back, but saw that many more were looking at his wife. Shaking his head and smiling, Silverwolfe walked on, deciding to deal with problems if they arose, and not to start any. Stopping by one of the few guards that were wandering the district, Silverwolfe grinned.

"Excuse me sir, but I am looking for a decent inn for my companion and I to stay the night in. Would you be able to assist me? Im afraid I do not have enough coin to stay in the higher level establishments, which is why I am here"

The guard looked fairly incredulous at Silverwolfe's statement after examining him.

"Yeah. I can help. There's a decent inn right up the road here. Its called the "Dragon's Fang" and of all the inns here in the docks, its perhaps the best. Still, its not really any comparison to those of the upper levels."

Nodding, Silverwolfe smiled and began to move on.

"Sir, please be careful. Your lady friend there is quite beautiful and the men here can be fairly dangerous"

Turning around, Silverwolfe lifted one of his blades two inches out of its sheath.

"Im sure she will be fine. Besides, even if I wasn't here, she is more than capable of handling herself. Still, I thank you for your warning. Have a good night."

Once again, Silverwolfe moved on, in search of the "Dragon's Fang" and a place to sleep.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 pm
Stablehand

Silverwolfe and Khelestra wandered down the streets of the city, Searching for the Dragon's Fang, and stopped on multiple occasions to ask a rare guard for directions. One of the final guards they encountered was a shifty fellow, and pointed them through an alleyway. Although he was speaking to Silverwolfe, his eyes never left Khelestra. Thanking the guard for his directions, Silverwolfe and his wife progressed through the alleyway, In search of the Dragon's Fang Inn. As they got deeper into the alleyway, Silverwolfe heard a familiar twang, and leaped to the side, an arrow whizzing past his face. Cursing his own stupidity, he wove a quick spell in the air, Illuminating the darkened alleyway. Taking a quick look around, He saw that there were roughly twenty men surrounding them, the shifty guard that had given him the directions through the alleyway among them. He could see the greed and the lust in their eyes as they looked at his wife and him. He began to laugh.

The guard looked confused. "Wha'cha laughin at, ya fool? Ain't cha know we gonna kill you and have our way with that purdy lil elf girl there? When we done, we gonna get a purdy good amount of gold from your weapons and jewelery."

Silverwolfe continued to laugh, but looked around, pinpointing all the men with bows. He stopped laughing then, and his voice took on a dark and dangerous tone. "You boys do not know what you are dealing with here. I will give you all one chance. Turn around and walk away now, or you all die."

The guard looked shaken, but shouted. "You can't take all twenty of us! End him boys!"

Khelestra flicked her wrist and every bow in the area dissolved into ash. Turning to the men behind Silverwolfe, she smiled. The alleyway filled with screams of pain and horror as the men there began to sizzle with heat, their blood boiling. The men on the other side of Silverwolfe watched in horror as their companions' screams slowly died out, and they began to fade away, burning like charcoal, embers from their charred bodies floating into the air.

Silverwolfe glared at the men in front of him and growled. "I gave you all a chance." Charging forward faster than lightning, Silverwolfe's sword arm moved in a blur, the blade hissing as it twirled through the air, its movements barely registering to the eye. Within seconds, All but three of the men were dead. Kneeling with his back to the three remaining men, Silverwolfe cleaned his blade on the tunic of one of the dead men at his feet. This particular one split in two from head to naval, his body cauterized where Silverwolfe's white hot blade had sliced through him. Standing, He returned the blade to its scabbard, and turned to the remaining men. Looking at a now pale and terrified guard, Silverwolfe shook his head.

"Draw your blade man, and defend yourself."

The terrified guard drew his sword, and held it shakily. The other men did the same. "Please, milord, I'm sorry. By the gods I don't want to die! Please, let us go!"

Silverwolfe's voice became a quiet whisper, barely discernable in the night breeze. "You all were given your chance. Now you pay for your crimes."

Walking slowly towards the men, the two with the guards charged Silverwolfe. Putting a well placed foot into one man's groin, he drove his elbow into the others face, caving it in, killing him instantly. Picking up the fallen mans sword, He removed the others head with it as he was writhing in pain on the ground. His eyes never left the guard. Dropping the vagabond's blade, Silverwolfe continued to approach the guard. Frantically the guard swung his blade at the unarmed Silverwolfe. As the Guards blade approached, Silverwolfe's hand lashed out, grabbing the guards blade arm, and with a curt twist, snapped the mans bone causing him to drop his sword. Kicking the guard in the chest, He fell to the ground. Bending over to pick the man's blade up, Silverwolfe examined it in his hand. Well made, and perfectly balanced, made in the forges of his city, as was all of the weaponry and armor wielded by Verthicha's guards.

Standing over his fallen foe, Silverwolfe drove the sword through the mans pelvis and into the cobblestone beneath him, Pinning the man to the ground. The guard's mouth was open with shock, and couldn't scream or breath for the pain. Looking down at the man Silverwolfe put a foot on his throat and pressed down, the bones in the guards throat cracking as his trachea was crushed. Looking impassively at the guards pleading face, Silverwolfe kept his foot there until the light of life faded from the man's horrified eyes.

Turning to go back in the direction they were walking, Khelestra followed in tow, the two of them sidestepping the smoldering piles of ashes that were once men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About a fifteen minutes later the couple found themselves standing outside a building with no name placard. All that was there to identify the building was the raucous coming from inside, and a large dragons fang hanging above the door. Walking inside, Silverwolfe walked to the innkeeper who looked annoyed at his approach. "Whaddya want?"

Silverwolfe smiled and handed the man a gold coin. "I want your best room, and I want a hot meal to be brought up to it as my wife and I rest. We are not to be disturbed otherwise."

Apon seeing the gold the mans demeanor took a U-turn. "Oh, Of course milord. Would the lady like a bath drawn up for her as well?"

Silverwolfe turned to Khelestra who simply nodded, and Silverwolfe smiled. "Actually, bring two tubs to the room, and fill them both. I believe that I could use a hot bath after the nights events. Other than our requests, If we remain undisturbed for the night I have another two coins for you."

The Innkeeper hastily nodded and agreed at the mention of more gold. "Yes milord, My wife Matilda here will guide you to your room, and I will personally see to it that you are not disturbed this night."

At that, the man ran to the back shouting orders, and the two Icharii followed Matilda upstairs to their room.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:56 pm
Stablehand

OOC: I'm back! I hope you're around...

As Toph rode along the road, he felt something he hadnt felt in a long time, and felt his breath catch in his throat. A light tingling in his mind that could be best described as... bells. This was part of the Art: the link that bound all Sidhe together and in their waning years had let them find one another when they had had need. Toph remembered once working hard to supress the sound in his head, seeking the quiet, seeking escape. Now, it was the other way around: Toph yearned to hear the bells, to know that he was not the only Sidhe left... but it was all silent.

Until now. But as Toph listened, he realized that the bells seemed slightly out of tune. Not so bad as it had been when that abomination had been made... a human with a Sidhe's soul... the desperate attempts by some of his race to move beyond the sterility that the icarii had long ago inflicted on their race in that final cataclysmic battle that had destroyed both of their empires, but still, slightly off from that beautiful music that another full sidhe would have created. For that was what it was: a half Sidhe, and Toph had a good idea of who it might be.

Toph brought his horse to a gallop, and turned it down a side road. As he rode, the feeling got stronger and stronger and more definied, until Toph could definitievly say that it was his friend, Silverwolfe. Toph pondered how odd it was that he and Silverwolfe were friends: Their races had destroyed one another, and yet here they both were. Toph imagined it probably had to do with being two anchient beings, both of which had only really had the other to talk to for many years.

Toph guessed the Icarii had won, in the end. Silverwolfe had managed to find an entire city of them a while back, and, if he recalled correctly, had a son now. So the Icarii lived, but the Sidhe... well, when he was gone, the Sidhe would truly be a myth. Toph had searched the islands for survivors... even looked for Lyssia's rumored 'Sidhe Sanctuary', but either the Sidhe did not want him to find them, or they didnt exist at all.

Eventually, Toph reached a city and stopped to survey it. It looked fairly normal for a city, but the castle in the distance... was definitely of icarii craftsmanship. Toph set off towards it, then stopped. He had assumed that Silverwolfe would be in the castle, but the Art was pointing him towards the most squalor-ful part of the entire city! Eventually, Toph came before an inn, plainly decorated with a dragon's fang. Silverwolfe was certainly inside.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:39 pm