It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:42 am

Of Justice And Dogma [open] 
Teh Spam!

Post Of Justice And Dogma [open]
It was a bright summer night. The sickle of the moon and the brightly shining stars illuminated the streets of Trepolis and many had gone to inns, pubs or squares to share a drink with their friends. The streets were bustling with activity and except for the occasional pickpocket who took the few remaining coins from the drunkards, there was no sign of disturbances. Not only the city guards, but also usually brisk and dogmatically strict Temple Guards who protected the buildings dedicated to Angelique in the city were relaxed and almost friendly.

The casual talk was mostly focused on the weather. People hoped that the pleasant temperature would remain over the coming week, when the feast to celebrate the return of Angelique would be held. Three days of military parades, feasts and public executions were to take place. All three were things these loyal followers of Angelique held very, very dear. A few of the people on the streets were discussing politics. There was something about Belenos, the new governor of the city, which struck some as odd. He had publicly questioned the judge’s rulings if he deemed them too strict. Because of him only fifty criminals would be quartered this year, instead of the usual ninety-nine. And then the hangings! The only reason that enough criminals and prisoners of war would be hung this year to cover both sides of the road leading to the city, was that the council was as outraged as the townsfolk and had saved the annual Hedge of Justice.

However, not all were drinking and chatting on the streets. Above the townsfolk, on the rooftops of the shops and houses, a number of hooded men in grey cloaks were moving toward a central point. They were moving stealthily and slowly and stopped before they crossed larger open spaces or prior to climbing toward a higher roof. No one was to see them, and no one did.

One by one they arrived on their destination. After scaling a wall they reached the terrace of a deserted house. They nodded their heads to each other in greeting as they all took a place in a circle. The one to arrive last stood in the center of the circle and took a crossbow from his belt, which he pointed at the woman in front of him. She then pulled back her hood. He nodded and aimed the crossbow at the man sitting to her right. He too pulled his hood back. When all had done so, he himself revealed his face and took his place in the circle. In a low voice, he quietly spoke.

“ Welcome, my brothers and sisters. I am glad that all of us have been able to make it. Especially you, Belenos. Since none of you contacted me, I expect all preparations have gone as planned over the past month? ”

All nodded, except a slender elven woman with a large hooked nose and honey blond hair.

“ Almost everything. Some more of my team have been captured and are on the list to be used as road decoration during the festivities. ”

The emphasis she put on the last word betrayed a deep hatred and loathing.

“ Yes, Belenos had informed me of that. All that means is that we’ll have to do slightly more work with a few less persons. There were six of them, correct? ”

The woman nodded.

“ That leaves enough of you to handle your part. I will send two men from my team in order to support yours with the final preparations. Tomorrow the first phase shall begin. Belenos, Endorak, you two know what to do. We shall proceed as planned.

May Leto be with all of you. We shall save our brethren from the filthy paws of the heathen scum! ”

They pulled up their hoods again and left in groups of two or three, discussing what was left to be done and how they could help each other with it. Only the leader and the one called Belenos remained.

“ If this gets me killed, Nagash, I’ll come back and haunt you. ”

The latter boomed.
With a boyish grin, Nagash replied:

“ I had better find myself a good exorcist then! Worry not, this will not get you killed. However, once this is all over, those idiot heathens will see you as a hero. I cannot reveal my plans to you, for your reaction must be a real one. Besides, it cost us a lot of effort to get you in this position. After you’ve set the last things in motion here, I’ll even be happy to see that ugly mug of yours! ”

“ Ha! Now that’d be a novelty! I have to go before someone realises that I’m not where I’m supposed to be. Until next we meet, and good luck in the coming days. ”

“ You too, Belenos. ”

Tue May 20, 2008 8:13 am
Teh Spam!

Post Re: Of Justice And Dogma [open]
Although the first sunbeams had barely touched the rooftops of Trepolis, the city was already awake. People were dressing at their best for the festivities. Those who went to the square in front of the arena in order to get the best places cheerfully greeted each other and expressed their joy about the bright weather, as it looked to become a very sunny day.

Two soldiers who had been burdened with the task to round a dozen prisoners from the cells weren't so happy with the warm weather though. They expressed their particular views while leading the chained prisoners to the cell where they would await their execution.

" Bloody sun will turn these guys into maggot ridden corpses in no time. The smell will be awful! ", one spoke.

" Yeah, especially the fat ones as their bladders will empty. ", his colleague agreed, nodding at a rather chubby prisoner, who started sobbing.

" Oh, shut up. "

They walked on silently for a while, the only sound the muffled sobs from the fat prisoner and the moving chains. When they arrived at the death cell, one of the guards suddenly chuckled.

" At least this one won't be a burden for our granaries anymore. "

The other laughed at that.

" Ha! Those decadent Letite bastards are expensive prisoners. I'd rather have Barnabites, who stubbornly try to escape rather than meekly awaiting their death. "

With that, they locked the prisoners in the cell and left, joking about the swift decomposition of all corpses of the executed today with the hot weather.

Thu May 29, 2008 5:54 am
Teh Spam!

Post Re: Of Justice And Dogma [open]
The morning had progressed and the heat of the sun was beating down on the crowd which had gathered in the streets leading to the central square and the arena. The smells of sweat, dust and ozone dominated the nostrils of all present people. The elderly had gathered in those places which offered both the relative coolness of the shadow as well as a decent view on events which were to start any time now. Because all were focusing on the gates and balcony of the arena or chatting with their neighbors, the Letite conspirators were able to move unnoticed easily either through the crowd or over the rooftops. From his place on the rooftops, Nagash overlooked the streets and square, every last inch of which was filled with people. From above it became even clearer that the people of the city were well disciplined: even now, when everyone longed to see the yearly executions, there were very few people who pushed their way through the crowd. Those who did were either children or idiots and all were reprimanded by the bystanders. Nagash smirked as he picture the chaos these people were to experience very soon. There they stood, in blissful ignorance. Like sheep to the slaughter.

He gestured to the commander of the team to join him and pointed at three places: underneath the balcony and on both the easternmost and westernmost edges of the square.

“ They’re all in place. Are you absolutely certain that you know where to focus your fire? ”

The commander acknowledged this and pointed to the places himself, saying the names of the team leaders there as he did. The teams could be recognised because they wore large straw hats “against the sun”.

“ Good. Focus your fire on the centre of the square first. Use rapid fire until they panic and casual fire once panic has broken out. There has been a slight change of plans though: once people are starting to come bursting out from the streets on the east and west, our teams will have moved and you’ll be able to divide your attention between both these sides. Shoot until you run out of arrows, then restock at the safehouse and meet us in the hills. Good luck, and may the gods grant us victory today. ”

As he was speaking, the crowd below roared and cheered. Governor Belenos has appeared on the balcony of the arena. The large man was dressed in a fine tunic of white silk. He was flanked by four halberdiers who wore the ornamental armour of Trepolis and the blue cloaks of the Angelique temple guard. He raised his hands and smiled.

“ That’s my cue. I shall meet you in the hills. Shoot sharp and don’t be late. ”, Nagash said. The commander straightened and beat his fist to his chest in a crisp military salute. Nagash did the same and proceeded over the rooftops to the terrace they had picked for him to play his part. As he did so, the crowd calmed down and the governor spoke.

“ Dear citizens of Trepolis! Dear followers of Angelique! True believers in Justice, I salute you! ”

Once again, the crowd roared and cheered.

“ Today, Justice will be served as it is supposed to be! Examples will be made, so that the order is our beautiful city will no be disturbed lightly! Today, we shall show the heathen criminals and conspirators why Angelique shall not be messed with…. Why we are not to be messed with! ”

The gates of the arena opened and twenty men were led outside by spearpoint. A section had been kept clear and a stage had been erected. Soldiers with halberds stood beneath it, to cut down any who tried to escape. One by one, the prisoners were chained to poles.

“ Behold the sinners! Look at them! The filthy heathens are little more than mere vermin, trying to live off our society by stealing and exploiting. These twenty are a band of thieves who sent what they robbed from us as tribute to Barnabas.

Hear me, heathens, and know that this is the last thing you will hear, save for your own screams. Angelique and Trepolis spit on you!

Gut them like the swine they are! ”

The executioner, a small man with a big sword, moved in. He wore a black robe and a mask with a beautifully crafted face of porcelain. The face of Justice. One by one, he gutted the chained men and the air was filled with screams of agony and fear. A soldier followed him and used the point of his sword to pull the entrails of the dying men out, and to wrap it around their necks. As they died, their screams died down with them, while the crowd cheered and applauded.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:32 am