It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 am

A Grand Tournament Fighting Thread 2 (Closed) 
Stablehand

Post A Grand Tournament Fighting Thread 2 (Closed)
((OOC: Thread here: http://www.evernight.com/boards/canon/viewtopic.php?t=431

Things were going marvelously, Lia thought, as she sat back and watched. The maps had been distributed to Kajor and Lucien, Calenia and Mumeishi were on the field and preparing for their own battle. The blademistress' figure was one of barely restrained fury, and Lia was quite shocked at Calenia's temper.

She didn't know what she had done to invoke Calenia's ire, but it seemed like the sidhe fighter woman was vexed. Lia frowned for a moment and pondered this, trying to figure out what might have caused such anger.

The midday sun continued to shine brightly on the field, and the specators were gathered and still placing their bets, chatting merrily. Several hired mages were busily erecting viewing portals for the specators that led out to the forest, where Kajor and Lucien could be watched in their archery contest. All in all, Lia was satisfied with this tournament, and felt quite happy that it seemed to be going well. She made a few notes to herself to have messages sent to various judges who hadn't sent in scores that she would need them after these matches, in order to make sure that she could announce the winners.

Chu-nin, Ronin
[/center]

Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:05 pm
Stablehand

Post the Archery range...
Lucien had decided to start in the hilly section of the archery feild. Wandering back and forth across the hills he located several targets. The stationary targets were easy enough, just a matter of aim and concentration. If he wasn't sure he could hit it, he simply moved closer until he was confident of success.

Some of the stationary targets were basic bullseyes (although some were difficult to spot), others resembled wildlife. Such as that stuffed rabbit over there. *thwip* *thunk* Correction, wooden and very well painted rabbit. He was wondering what the moving targets would look like when he paused to stare at a very odd sight. A large yellow ball was floating through the air, two black dots and an upward curving line formed a child's depiction of a smiling face. After a few seconds of staring, Lucien shook himself and quickly shot the slow moving object. The ball continued on it way with Lucien's arrow sticking out of it's side.
Leaving the hills the halfelf had proceeded north to the bridge. He'd been examining a stationary target (a bullseye somehow grown from the bark of a tree) and wondering how it had been created when he got the feeling he was being watched. Spinning around and placing arrow to bowstring he came face to face with an eyeball the size of his head. The eyeball was on the end of a tentacle emerging from the water next to the bridge. Lucien reacted swiftly.

GAH!!! he exclaimed managing to drop his arrowas he lurched backwards into the tree behind him. By the time he'd drawn another arrow and was ready to fire the thing had retracted beneath the murky water.
Lucien advanced along the southwestern back of the river. He had waited for five minutes, in hopes the eyeball would re-emerge but there'd been no sign of it. He threw several dark looks towards the water as me travelled. The hunting was good along this bank, with several stationary and moving targets to fire on. He'd spotted a 2 foot long dragonfly darting above the river earlier and, after three missed shots, managed to hit it.

Spotting movement in a tree Lucien took aim and fired. The arrow struck home and knocked what looked to be a clay bird from the branches, a pigeon to be precise. He watched as the magically animated creature flew back into the branches then continued on his way.

Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:39 pm
Stablehand

Post Match Five, Round One
Calenia, tired of all the standing at waiting for Mumeishi's attack, kneeled down, her eyes closing. She remained in that position for a full minute, submerging herself with the ring about her. She could feel the anti-magick field that had been raised by Xyen and WuJen surrounding her, but that was not her goal.

Instead, the sidhe became one with the land, learning every crack and rock within the surrounds. Her footwork would now become sure, and there would be nothing keeping her from her goal of advancement.

Standing up now, she felt the earthlink flow through her body and down towards her feet. Once the link connected to the ground, she started to walk towards her opponent, her hands still at her sides, swords held seemingly negligent in her grasp. Roughly five feet before her opponent, she danced into action.

Crouching low to the ground, she twirled around and brought the katanas up, seeking Mumeishi's flesh from below. First one katana, then the other began its deadly arc, heading straight for the man's spleen area....

((OOC: due to board downtime, everyone recieves an additional 24 hours.))

Bladesmistress - Ronin

Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:22 pm
Stablehand

Mumeishi stood waiting in the arena, his naginata held by his side. His purple ribbon around his topknot blew slightly in the breeze as he watched Calenia approach, sunlight dancing off the polished black laqcuered chainmail kote and haidate of his gusoku styled armour. Purple lacquered steel plates were affixed over his hands and shins, the armour completed by a purple and black steel breastplate adorned with the kanji for Ronin, Tsuki-nin and his unit designator.

This one's wa is strong. was Mumeishi's thought as he watched the blademistress move. He felt her focus move outwards and brought his naginata around as she swung her twin katana upwards towards his midsection. This one will kill me if I let her...

Twisting like a cat he interposed his weapon between himself and those glittering blades, a clash of steel on steel and steel on lacquered hardened wood ringing out. His face was an implacable mask as he whirled away, bringing the polearm up and over in an overhead strike, almost inviting her to cut him open...

Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:56 pm
Stablehand

Post Round One, Match Five
Many had laughed at her intention to build up her arms and upper body strength in order to master twin katanas. But it was this skill that she harnessed that allowed her an advantage before her opponents.

The block was expected and welcomed - as with the next overhead move. It seemed to be a failure in most men's training - the overwhelming need to bash something's head in. Calenia's eyes burned as she smirked, swirling about. Her left katana came flying up to deflect the incoming blow, the crash of steel against lacquered wood loud in the ring.

Her other katana cut through the air, whistling. It came within an inch of Mumeishi's armor, but that wasn't her intended target.

Instead, she continued with the momentum of the blade, pivoting on one foot. The hand that held the naginata aloft in a block released the hilt, and it began a plummet towards the ground. Meanwhile, the woman herself twirled about, her right katana aiming directly for Mumeishi's left shin.

Deftly, Calenia caught the dropping blade and brought it up towards Mumeishi's head, the left blade thirsting for the right side of his neck.

Bladesmistress - Ronin

Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:14 pm
Stablehand

Mumeishi grunted at the resistance offered by the woman's blocking katana and mentally noted her strength. Just so - niten-ryu.. he felt her wa expand and shift once more as her other blade whistled past his armour and she spun, the first katana being released.

Striving to gain cognizance of her intent he withdrew his weapon swiftly, resisting the urge to bring the butt of it down on her as she twirled which would leave him too extended if he should miss.

Spatially aware of the dropping katana he moved to intercept the rapidly approaching other blade directed at his shin with the haft of his naginata. His mouth formed a simple 'O' of suprise as he saw the blademistress pluck the dropping katana from the air and direct the blade at his head.

Misliking being on the defensive he dropped to one knee and twisted, angling the scabbard of his own sheathed katana to the path of the lower katana and bringing the blade of his own weapon up belatedly to protect his face.

A whitehot stinging pain and Mumeishi felt the blade slice across the top of his head, knowing that his topknot had now been cut off, along with a small part of his scalp. Letting loose his own tightly held wa he struck out with both hands on his naginata pushing the woman away before spinning the weapon in his hands briefly.

In kamae once more he levelled his gaze at her as he slipped into the Void, his eyes flat and expressionless awaiting her next assault, blood slowly trickling down the side of his face...

Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:41 pm
Stablehand

Post Round One Match Five
The blade bit into flesh, and Calenia felt the skin give way to her honed blade. A feeling of triumph swooped through her, distracting her momentarily. She paused, breathing heavily and watching as the blood trickled down Mumeishi's face.

First blood belonged to the bladewoman. If she had her way, last blood would too.

Quietly, she stalked Mumeishi, pacing around him in a circle, never turning her back to him. The katana that had tasted blood was now singing to her, visciously demanding that she feed it again. Having completed her circle around Mumeishi, Calenia began her attacks anew.

Feinting towards Mumeishi's right side, Calenia's katana screamed through the air as it raced towards his armor. Keeping her arm extended, she twisted around and performed yet another catch of the hilt, this time crouching low and holding the katana above her head.

Instead of pausing her motion there, however, she brought her foot and other katana around towards Mumeishi's back, fully intent on tripping her opponent, and causing him to fall flat on his back....

Bladesmistress - Ronin

Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:07 pm
Stablehand

Tentatively Mumeishi reached out to kokoro, touching the rhythm at the heart of all things as Calenia renewed her attack, her katana in contiuous motion. Tracking her blades with his own he searched for an opening and finding none.

In a blur the blademistress whirled around, her blades and foot extended in a sweep. Blocking the katana with his naginata he went down hard from the sweep, letting go his polearm and rolling over on his shoulder quickly in a breakfall.

Jumping to his feet he drew from kokoro, the force of his will reaching out in a brief focused assault of jaho the dark power of the dorokusai. For the two protagonists the rest of the arena vanished, replaced by the moiling turbulent clouds of the jaho adept's mind.

Lunging between the now ineffective blades of Calenia he lashed out with rapid percussive strikes intent on disabling the blademistress. A downward elbow to her hip forced her to a knee while a palmheel from Mumeishi's offhand to her hara her solar plexus nerve meriadan knocked the remaining wind from her.

As Calenia reeled from the psychic and physical assault Mumeishi prepared to finish her, his hand coming back to strike when he felt a thrown shaken bite into his shoulder. Clamping down on the pain the veil of jaho lifted as he turned to face this external assault, a hubbub running through the crowd. A lone figure clad head to toe in black stood at the edge of the crowd, the throng drawn back from him, a black cowl over his head showing only two hazel eyes, empty hands by his sides.

Mattanashi, dorokusai. Time is up for you. the figure intoned, switching from nihon to common mid sentence.

Mumeishi stared at the figure. Which of Yoshimutsu's lapdogs are you, Ronin? he sneered as he lashed out with his mind, jaho flooding his being.

I am your Death, uragirimono he spat, his own will expanding and engulfing the force of the dorokusai's assault, launching into a rapid series of atemi kites.

Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:51 pm
Stablehand

Post Round One, Match Five
Things appeared to be going quite well... until an unmistakeable pressure started to exert itself on her, and things slowed down to a crawl.

Calenia began to feel like she was wading through water, trying to fight the current as she moved. The first blow came as a complete surprise as she found herself knocked down. She attempted to fight back, to find Mumeishi and show him that she didn't appreciate this and he would pay dearly... but to no avail. Her head twisted and turned, but it felt like she was moving in slow motion - that her brain couldn't send the synapses to her body fast enough.

And then there was the pressure. Horrible and unrelenting pressure began to work its magic upon her body, increasing the pain she felt tenfold. Crying out, she could hear the words die before they even passed her lips. The ground below her began to feel strange as she continued to attempt to move, her body slow and the pressure and pain excruciating.

Calenia whimpered, and once more attempted to fight back, the only thoughts in her mind struggling to be recognized. "What is this that I'm fighting?" and "I can't believe I"m about to be beat by a man..."

((OOC: the rest of the action can be found here: http://www.evernight.com/boards/canon/viewtopic.php?t=1001 as it is mostly action outside of the fighting rings. Archery - continue on. ))

Bladesmistress - Ronin

Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:35 pm
Stablehand

Post Archery Match One, Round Five
I growled in realization that my opponent had entered the match fields before me, mostly at the irony that I had been the first to appear on the archer's field, but no matter. He would need all the time he could get.

When I rushed though the portal, the lands before me were a far cry from what I expected. Still, Lia had given me a map of sorts, and I could already see some of the stationary targets resting on the ground and up on the trees. Without thinking, I rushed for the nearest tree and quickly scrambled up it; the added height would improve to my accuracy.

Looking at the map, I realized I was in the Northwest corner of the forested land, and quickly made my way to the first line of targets, leaping from tree to tree, the claws on my feet protesting slightly; they were more used to the ground then being gripping devices. As I made my way to a clear vantage point, I spotted the line of seven targets. Two of them appeared to be moving targets, one being a strange four legged creature I had not seen before, the other some small type of bird with light blue feathers and a very small profile. The other five were stationary targets, four of which were shaped like similar animals to the I mentioned above and over-sized leaves and fruits as well, but the fifth one was just a simple bullseye that seemed to be part of the tree it rested on. I took careful aim with my composite bow and loosed an arrow at the first moving target, the four legget creature. It had been rapidly darting back and forth between three of the trees, so I wasn't surprised when the arrow missed. Realizing I would have to work quickly, I decided to tackle the stationary targets, they would be easier, and indeed they were. The first four fell easily to my arrows, but the fourth, the one that was the simple bullseye proved to me that this was going to be much more a match of patience then anything else, especially when it faded away, reavealing the trunk of the tree as it reappeared about twelve feet up! Growling, I sent a second arrow at it, and heard more then felt my blood boil as the target phased away again and appeared on a branch. I imagined one of the Roinin magicians was having a ball with this, laughing at the big troll screwing up.

I made a note to kill him after Kressog.

I was no student of rage, not like Zollken, but I did have my pride, and that pride refused to let me be mocked by little targets. Turing back, I nestled an arrow in the neck of the moving bird target and then sent a shot where I thought the moving four legger would come. By some stroke of luck, it just moved in the way in time and now ran back and forth with my arrow angrily piercing its flank. I smiled grimly and thought "six down, one to go."

The last target was still waiting on the branch for me, and then I realized the trick. Unlike the four-legger and the bird, who were supposed to move at random, this target was supposed to respond to the sound of the arrow being loosed. Though this enlightenment boosted my ego, it did little to help me, because the target had two possible places to return to. In a completely random guess, I sent an arrow where I first had shot at it, and saw it appear at the second place, twelve feet up from where I was aiming. My snarl could probably be heard across the forest, but I didn't care at this point. I sent two arrows, the first one at the branch, and the second at the base of the trunk, and laughed when the target was struck as it fled to the trunk. The second part of the movement trick was that it had to move, it couldn't remain in place.

A nagging thought struck me, and I quickly leapt from the tree I was in to the tree on which I had shot the annoying moving target and saw the river for the first time. It was a beautiful thing, its sapphire blue water winding their way through the forest. Then a fish and a rather large looking multi-armed monster popped out of the waters and glanced up at me. Quickly, they withdrew under the water the second our eyes met. A map check revealed they were the two moving targets in the river south of the bridge. I took out my longbow and waited. The multi-armed thing appeared first, and the second we made eye contact, it rushed back under water. I frowned and memorized its location. Moving so the trunk of the tree was inbetween the thing's and my line of sight, I waited until I heard the waters rustle and then quickly twisted back so I could see it, but not before letting two shots out. My first one missed completely and spashed in the water. The second barely hit its target, sticking the the very top of the creature's head as it dove under water. I heard a sound below me and quickly looked down. Lucien had come into the area and would now be shooting at the targets I was just at. Moving back the way I had come, I saw and hit a stationary target by the bridge that was in the shape of an large nut before I leap down to the ground.

When I got to the bridge, the stationary target that was supposed to be there was nowhere to be seen. I began to scan the bridge as I walked and then tripped on a raised plank and went head first into the river. The current was strong, but when a troll is pissed off, such things don't really matter. I muscled my way back to shore on the north western bank and made my way back to the bridge. When I got there, I sent a satisfying shot into the arrogant plank and made my way across the bridge where the map said there were twelve targets, ten stationary and two moving. I did the tally of my own hits in my head, six stationary and five moving. Lucien would no doubt be able to beat that now, but I planned to quickly move through the northeastern part of the forest and be on my way to the hills in the southeast. Just for good measure, I stood on the center of the bridge and fired three arrows at the fish that had been near the moving creature I had hit earlier. Shots one and three went wide, shot two hit it in the side as it dove under again. "Thats eighty." I thought with a smile and continued on my way to more targets.

Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:51 am
Stablehand

Post Be vewy, vewy qwiet, Lucien's hunting targets....
Lucien was almost to the northern bridge now, and he paused to check his map. Counting up his points he got a total of 105 points. The map also showed that he'd soon be coming up upon 2 moving targets in the river.

He'd nail those 2, then move up and hit the stationary targets on the brige and in the water north of the bridge, then head south down the western side, clearing those targets. After that he could swing back and pincushion that damn eyeball before moving into the north-eastern section.

Moving north, the halfelf kept an eye on the river for movement. There! Lucien spun and drew back the arrow but the fish that had attracted his attention had vanish back into the water. He did however see a 4 armed monstrosity emerging from the depths and fired 3 arrows in quick succession. The first grazed it's cheek, continuing on to spash into the water. The second impaled an arm while the third sped through the gap between to arms, missing completely.
I hope that counts as a hit. he thought as he set another arrow to the bowstring and waited for the fish to reappear. In the end it took him three tries to finally hit the fish, by which time he was eager to move on.

Stepping out onto the bridge he tried to determine where the bridge target was. All he could find was a plank with one of his opponents arrows sticking into it. Shrugging he shot the same plank then turned and, with a little effort, spotted the northern river target, a large bullfrog. Quickly sinking an arrow into it's form, Lucien heads west off the bridge and starts hunting more targets.

Once again the stationary proved easy points. After missing the quadruped mobile target, Lucien noticed a tree with several of the troll's arrows stuck in it, some of them nowhere near the target.
Heh, guy couldn't even hit close to the targets sometimes. Lining up a shot on the quadruped, Lucien finally nails it. turning back to the tree target he stopps, eyes widening in surprise. Huh? wasn't the bull's eye down lower?[/i]

Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:38 pm
Stablehand

Post "The Little Bugger," Archery Match Five, Round One
As I made my way to the northwest region of the forest, I turned to the sound of an arrow and saw my opponent on the bridge. He was aiming at something north of the bridge in the river, and a quick map check revealed it to be a bullfrog that served as the stationary target. Cocking my longbow, I sent and arrow at it as my opponent turned and headed back towards the line of seven targets that I had started with. My shot hit the artificial creature in the side, and after confirming that, I made my way to the next set of targets.

Oh did someone have fun with them.

The targets here were heavily disguised and it took me a few moments to find even the first stationary one. It was an emerald green leaf that was nestled among others of its color. What distinguished it was that it was slightly deeper in texture then the rest. I hit it carefully and moved on. Other targets included a snake-like creature the same solid brown of a tree trunk, a moss-colored beetle nestled among the plant with the same name, a tiny lichen on a rock and a nest of some kind at the very top branches of one of the trees. I had to climb up to actually reach it. I made sure when I hit the targets that I did so at odd angles, that way if my opponent came this way, he wouldn't be able to find the targets as easily. It was purely for competition, having never met the man or elf as he looked to be, I could not really lay insult or deliberate harm on him.

After I had hit all ten stationary targets, I started on the moving targets. The first was a lizard creature about a foot long that had the ability to blend in with its surroundings. It was also an avid climber and jumper, and even though I eventually found that it's movement was limited to the tree it rested on and the one next to it, the little creature was a bastard about getting shot. It would change to the color of a trunk and scurry into the grooves in the tree bark, where arrows could not reach it. Then, when it thought you found it, the little thing rushed up and hid among the leaves, where it turned color to match the leaves. So skilled was the wizard who operated it that the little thing actually was able to turn multiple colors at once. For example, when it nestled among the leaves, if one leaf was a healthy green, and the other a sickly brown, the creature would be able to mimic both colors and distribute itself correctly between them. A regular nightmare if I ever saw one. The only reason I was able to continue is by a stroke of luck I hit it in mid-air as it leapt from tree to tree. The creature immediatley changed color, and my arrow actually changed with it!

Muttering a few words of luck to my opponent, I began to seek out my next target. What I was about to find was beyond my ken. The target was a creature that looked like a kobold, seemed as bright and incoherent as a kobold, but wasn't. It wore a mask on its face and a small skirt of grasses and forest plants around its waist. It was dancing in a tight circle around a small totem and making small chanting noises in a language I had never heard before. When it turned to face me, it stopped dead in its tracks. Its face mask glowed for a second, signifing it was the target. I nocked an arrow in my composite bow when the creature emmitted a strange, high pitched noise that was somewhere inbetween a squeal and an agitated voice.

"Jbblebdldiba!"

I was stupid enough to pause and try to decipher the things banter, when it turned and quickly tore off into the forest. I persued it, but the little bastard was fast, and unlike me, it knew these woods like the back of its hand. It ducked and dodged though bushes and under trees, all of its maneuvers designed to make hitting it difficult. It ran in a zig-zag pattern and leapt up and down trees, dashed around rocks and even led me to the bank of the river, where the little thing jumped in and began to swim upriver at frightening speed. To add annoyance to insult, it continued to babble in its rediculous language the entire time.

I revised my list to include the death of the wizard in charge of this insane little creature.

When the creature saw that I would not follow it, it stopped in the river and turned to face me.

baddidebaddidevebbledevebbledeba?

I smiled and waved at it, and then rushed up the nearest tree. The little thing squeaked and began swimming rapidly in circles, occasoinally diving under the water for long periods before emerging again. I gave up on finesse and sent a stream of arrows at it, not caring if any of them missed. Five minutes and about thirty arrows later, one finally hit the little bugger in the eye of its mask.

I didn't think the creature could go any faster.

It roared out of the water and rushed back to its totem, screaming words I don't even want to try to spell out and running twice as fast as before. I wanted to laugh, to congradulate myself on my accomplishment, but I knew that Lucien was probably already on his way over to this part of the woods. I decided to head south, hitting the moving target in the water, a creature with an eye on one of its tentacles, and the ones on the bridge before making my way to the hilly section of the realm. Lucien had been here before, and as I began to shoot at bulleyes and a wooden rabbit that bore arrows of his, I hoped that he was still finishing the northwest.

Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:54 am
Stablehand

Post "Who came up with these targets anyways?"
Examining the tree, Lucien notes that all the arrows cluster around 3 spots. The lower spot where the Bullseye was, the spot where it is now, higher up the trunk, and off to the side on one of the larger branches. Obviously, that's where it's going to move next, so Lucien confidently aims at the branch, fires, ... and misses as the bullseye moves back to the lower trunk.

Huh?
comments Lucien. Glaring at the tree, the halfelf fires at the upper trunk, three more arrows impact the wood, the third finally hitting the target. After that the halfelf located and shot a small blue bird (after 2 missed shots and a brief rest to calm his temper). Then he moved south.

The south western area presented 4 stationary and 2 mobile targets. The stationary ones included a sunflower rising from the middle of a thorn bush, a small cave in which a small patch of bright white glowed, a large central 'eye' on the tail feathers of a stuffed peacock, and a large frog bathing in a small spring, complete with showercap, soap suds and long handled scrub-brush. Lucien tagged them all (though the frog demanded a doubletake, and he almost walked past the cave without noticing.

The mobile targets were, of course, more difficult. Lucien was definatelty going to have a talk with whoever created and controled one of them. A 4 ft tall human, dark, reddish skin, dressed in buckskin pants and footgear, it
started running the moment he saw it.

It ran quickly in and out of cover, several times popping out and throwing pies at Lucien. hitting him twice. The rogue finally nailed the thing (at the cost of getting hit by a third pie). Once hit it walked calmly back to it's start point. Lucien noticed a sign near by where it now stood. "Little Running Gag."

The other wasn't nearly as frustrating, though just as difficult. It was a small blue hedgehoge, curled up in a ball and rolling around a clearing. Lucien noticed it never left the clearing though. Finally nailing it, Lucien hurried over to the southern bridge.

Unfortunately that damn eyeball was still out of sight and so he continued into the north east section.
[color=blue]

Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:08 pm
Stablehand

Post Finale (I'm NEVER using a bow again) Round One, Match Five
Quickly finishing the remaining targets in the hills, I made my way to the southwestern corner, where my opponent was, apparently. Indeed, he was within eyesight as I sent my first arrow at a small spiny creature that he had hit. It rolled around and evaded my shot, so I quickly closed the distance and hit it with my composite bow. We passed each other, neither saying a word to the other, though I did notice some...food? on his face. I barked a quick laugh as I hit a sunflower that looked like one of the targets.

Then I saw the sign. It said "Little Running Gag," and nearby, a human-ish thing with reddish skin stood patiently. The second we made eye contact, it smiled merrily at me and sported an innocent posture. I smiled back, thankful that the little thing wouldn't run like my jabbering companion from the northwest had.

My list of murder targets expanded when the first pie hit my face, yet I checked my rage and slowly advanced on the thing, my bow up and arrow ready. The second pie blinded me, which, bad news for me and worse news for the little "Gag" caused me to trip on the remains of the first pie that had fallen to the ground. I landed on my back with a hard thud, and sat there, contemplating. Though this may seem a flaw of judgement given the circumstances, when I am reflective, it means I'm too pissed to do anything else but determine how I'm going to direct my anger. I was torn between a blind assault and another try with the bow.

The blind assault won, and I was on my feet and charging full speed at the smaller human, who immediately ran for dear life. Because I was focused on catching and beating the stuffing out of him, I found it easier to avoid the pies he tossed over his head at me. We ran a race around the entire area, through waterfalls and over rocks leaving a trail of pies in our wake.

In the end, the battle was won by a combination of attrition and a good body check that sent the little fellow sailing through the air. When he landed I was on him like a harem girl, wringing his neck in rage.

He was still under me when I shot him in the head at point-blank range.

The arrow seemed to take the fight out of the little guy, for he got up an just walked off. I stood and let out a war cry of triumph...which was muffled by a fruit pie parting shot. Taking my map out, I made a quick check of the remaining targets in the area. There were only two more targets in the region, and as quickly as I found them, I shot them. Having wasted much time with the little "Gag," I couldn't afford to be sloppy as I made my way up the edge of the western and northestern forest areas, and though in my haste I missed quite a bit, I did manage to hit one of the four stationary targets and the single moving target, an enlarged song bird that let out a sharp "tweet" when my arrow struck it in the leg, in my initial assault. I had lost track of the number of points I had made, and decided after I hit the remaining two targets, the uppermost stationary in the northwest. Someone had the good sense to cut both of us a break, and one of them was a regular bullseye that required a high angle shot my composite bow was capable of after three tries.

The last target was me though, well, an image of me. I (being the statue), was resting against a rock in an arrogant pose with a smug grin on my lips. I smiled as I hit the image in the head and then took one of my arrows and set it on my head so we resembled eachother. Laughing, I struck the same pose as my dupilcate and said in a conspiratoral voice.

"You know, I'm glad I saved the best target for last, aren't you? I tell you, you and me pal, we're ready to take on the world now..."

I hoped the wizard projecting that image was laughing as much on the ouside as I was on the inside about the whole spectacle. Taking a count of my targets, I had hit 13 moving and 29 stationary. From a troll that had never used a bow, those months of hard work had paid off. Even if I didn't win, I had proven it was possible, and I even allowed the thought that I didn't care what the scores were at this point, I had had fun...and never wanted to use a bow again.

Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:56 pm
Stablehand

The wizards had their hands full with the archers known as Lucien and Kajor, and it had taken all their skills at magery to keep the targets coming, and unique. The sheer amount of magic that had gone into the archery contest was quite breathtaking.

Already scores were being tallied. Even with the commotion that had taken place just earlier in the battle ring with Lia being hurt and Yoshimutsu aiding her, along with the sheer mess that had been caused by the one known as Mumeishi, the tournament must still go on, even if Lia were incapacitated at the moment.

Scorers ran to and fro, tabulating votes and scores, and preparing for the next round. Blood was washed from the ground of the ring and from the weapons that were around themselves by another set of wizards, the steel gleaming in the sunlight.

In the Magick Circles, the shields and land itself were being repaired, and already there were lists being posted. The lists themselves were blank, but ready for names to be inscribed upon them in a moment's notice.

Xyen the Sorceress was quickly taking over, her concern for Lia evident in every move that she made. Calenia had been taken off the field and into a healers tent, which would be the next place that the injured Mistress of Ceremonies would be going.

Efficiency was Xyen's angle, and if things were running smoothly enough for Lia to be able to continue in her capacity of Mistress of Ceremonies, then even better. But until then, it was up to the merwoman to keep things running, at least.

(Judges, please get your scores into me by Thursday, Midnight Gametime. I will be averaging the scores and posting those who advanced on Friday. Thank you for your patience, and I hope you are all having as much fun with this as I am)

~ Ronin ~ PMS ~[/center]

Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:33 am
Stablehand

((Continued from: http://www.evernight.net/boards/canon/viewtopic.php?t=1001&sid=5ac46da20beb12333cbd7b5190cefae9 - to see new matchups, go to http://lightning.prohosting.com/~katalyna/tourn2.html))

"An' now fer the advancers an' the upcomin' matches!" Xyen-as-Lia smiled, taking a better look at the parchment. "Fer the first weapons round, we'll be seein' th' Demon Lord Ten against Zollkan't'Kardas!"

Cheers went up as the crowd cheered for their favorites in that match, and Xyen smiled. She glanced at the parchment once more and blinked, her eyes going wide. "An' fer the second round matchup we'll be seein' th' Jo-nin Yoshimutsu up against th' blademistress Calenia Meriane..."

Well. It did seem like the issue between Yoshimutsu and Calenia would be cleared up - one way or another.

"An' in the magics department, our first match'll be Norgarth against th' Archmage Bracus!" Once more the crowd began to go wild at the thought of a spectacular match between equals, and one that involved magic was bound to be an exciting one. "An' the match after that we'll be seein' Lucien Starshadow show off his mage skills against Nereis th' Adept!"

Privately, Xyen felt a bit sorry for Lucien. Nereis had been a strong opponent, and if it hadn't been for her wall spell that had knocked away his elemental spells, he probably would have won. She smiled brighter as she announced the results of the Archery Contest.

"Th' winner o' the archery Contest, wit' 270 targets hit is Kajor! Fer this round he'll have a buy, an' then he'll be participatin' in the free fer all in the next round.

Judges - I hope yer all ready for another great round of wonderful match ups. Game on!

Xyen inhaled and sat back down, feeling suddenly weak. The strain of speaking in public had pulled part of her concentration away from keeping her disguise in place, and she had found the spell itself weakening. Taking a few moments to close her eyes and refocus her energy, the disguise once more became completely impenetrable to any physical eye.

~ Ronin ~ PMS ~[/center]

Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:46 pm
Stablehand

[ooc:]I'm sorry to have to do this... again... but I need a bit more time. I'm at my ex's place until tomorrow afternoon some time. So I need to have this match postponed. Sorry to inconvenience you, Zollkan.[/ooc]

After his weapons match and his magic match, the demon had been quite hurt. He had, for god knows how long, been stretched out on a cot in the healers tent. They were working incredibly hard to fix him and his regeneration was helping but there were internal injuries that were a bit difficult to fix.

He asked one of the resting healers to let the tournament management, and his opponent, know that he would be late for the match due to injuries from his previous two (consecutive) matches. When the healers relocated his hip he winced. They jumped back when he yelled curses and threatened to dismember them all but after a moment he calmed down and they went back to work, casting spells and feeling out fractured bones and torn muscle with that powerful mental touch that healers seem to have.

He grunts at the displeasure of being detained. If it had been his choice... he would have walked out into the ring with his leg broken... regardless of what might happen during the battle... But oh well, he would soon be on his way into the stadium to wallop his next opponent.

Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:13 pm
Stablehand

Post Weapons Match One, Round Two
(OOC: I understand Ten, just contact me when you can.)

IC:

With the early afternoon sun tainting his skin a sickly orange color, Zollken finished his "focus dance," as it was translated from the goblin tongue and returned to his newly pitched tent to retrieve his weapons for the round. His first inclination had been to stay with his quarterstaff, but now that he had an opponent that might fight in a manner similar to his, he opted for the two swords he had so recently forged. He allowed himself a nod of satisfaction at the blades as he retrieved them and held them up in the mid-day sun. Gleaming quietly, the weapons screamed to be used again, having been initially used against Zollken's lord, Maktor.

As if reading his thoughts, Zollken turned and saw the little goblin standing at his feet, a smile on his lips. Nodding his head, Zollken gestured to the weapons field.

"Milord, I pray thou wouldst grant me leave to pass thee, as again it is time for me to defend mine name in this contest."

The little goblin nodded knowingly and held a hand up, halting me.

"Let me speak with you first Zollken, I do have a concern. I wanted to speak to you about this next match.

Without waiting for a response, mostly because he knew Zollken wouldn't give one, Maktor continued.

"You know already that I am proud of you for succeeding in this tournament thus far. It is very difficult, especially when one is always in the first ring of fighting, to advance, as your opponents will have ample opportunity to measure they're own abilities against yours and thus improve their matches. I don't think though, looking at the matches, that such a thing will be an issue anymore, so I want you to fight with your own ability, no rage, not unless you have to. These people want a show, and though combat is something we take very seriously, if we are to prove to them our valor in it, we must follow their rules.

You make me proud Zollken, I know you can succeed."

He turned and left me to roll his words in my head as I sheathed my swords and began my walk to the spectator fields. When I arrived, I was told that my opponent, the demon lord, would require a small delay to recover from his injuries; his past two matches must have worn on him. I almost felt sorry for him, and made a note to have Triliona visit him after our next match, with any luck, the demon would be able to use her potent healing powers.

Sitting in the center of the weapon field, I began to meditate, but before I cleared my mind completely, my thoughts turned to Kajor. The troll had done well in his own regard, and now had a buy in for the weapons matches. I knew full well he wanted to face me, and secretly in my own heart, I knew I wanted to face him as well. When two member's of the goblin races cross weapons, it is a truly amazing sight, and I also didn't want him to face the swordsmen Yoshimutsu until we both had a chance to sit and compare notes on him. I had a good idea of what the small man was capable of, and I looked forward to seeing his next match.

Finally though, I began to feel the tug of my concentration, and I slowly put thoughts of fighting, demons and swordsmen behind as I let myself be lost in the gentle flow of the spirits, not to be interrupted until my opponent was ready.

Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:13 am
Stablehand

Post Weapons, Round two, Match One
As the flow of conscious thought returned to Zollken, he stood and quietly looked around. He saw no sign of his opponent, and time was quickly running out on their match. This troubled the giant, for he thought the demon lord would have been more tenacious then that, and while the action was not insulting in the least, it simply left Zollken in an uncomfortable position. The people in the fields began to whisper amongst eachother, the din of their buzzing slowly growing into cacophony. Turning so that his gaze swept across the spectators, Zollken found his companions waiting at their staked area, a mix of thoughts on the faces of each one. Maktor seemed thoughtful, Triliona concerned, Kressog anxious and the troops unsettled; they completed the spectrum of visible emotions, ranging from dissappointment to a desire to come and give the giant something to spar with.

But of course, the most aggressive look was that of Kajor's. The troll had his axes in both hands and was gazing longingly at the field. He had the buy in, so if the demon could not appear, he would be the next in line to face Zollken. While Zollken knew such a match would be an incredible sight, he had been hoping to avoid drawing steel on his own...

Then the messenger from the healing tents came, bearing a message from the Demon Lord himself. He was finishing his recovery now, and though he was still slightly wounded, he would be fit enough to continue his match with the giant. Zollken nodded and then turned, realizing that the grounds had fell silent while the messenger was speaking to him. Now, everywhere, people looked to the giant with anticipation in their eyes; they wanted to know the answer.

Smiling, the giant heaved his chest, threw his head back and let loose a war cry that resounded across the fields and dropped the first two rows of spectators to the ground as they covered their ears from the power of the sound. He could hear Maktor and his companions raising their own, and he whispered a silent apology to Kajor as he held the roar for a few moments longer and then let it subside, traces of it still carrying on the winds...

Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:27 pm
Stablehand

He rose, blood still dripping from the places where his wings had torn from his back and the fire of the salamander pouring through his veins. He heard the warcry and grinned... an evil thing to say the least. As he strides from the healer's tent to take the field he lets loose a deafening warcry of his own, calling his blades to him. He sees his enemy on the field... a Goblin Giant a full 4 feet taller than Ten himself.

As two Murisames appear floating next to each hand he begins to walk... then stride... then run.

He hits a dead tilt before even taking the weapons in his hands, yelling again at the top of his lungs as he tears across the field in a wild and violent streak.

He lays the blade in his left hand back against his arm and wields the other as always.

As he nears his opponent he feigns left before leaping streat into the giant and, without a sound, went directly for the head with the blade in his right hand.

<edit>Posts in the Maxim forum must consist of 3-5 paragraphs with three sentences per paragraph -- that's nine sentences at the minimum. Edit your post to reflect these requirements, as it is only 8 sentences currently. --Evangeline.</edit>

Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:39 pm
Stablehand

Post Okay, Forget you Maktor *Grins*
Something came over Zollken in the wake of the entrance, mob rush and reckless attack on the part of his demon opponent. His thoughts immediately turned to the rage within him and, seeing this a better time to utilize it, snarled fiercely at his opponent as his blades appeared in his hands in a flash, the dual swords quickly raising in a strong block against the strike at his head. Actually heaving with his real strength for the first time so far, the giant tossed his opponent to the side, and spun quickly, his swords up in a strong forward guard. The demon hit the ground...well, the demon rebounded off the ground (that probably being the better description) and went straight for Zollken's head again, his silence never faltering, the strength behind his blades never weakening. Zollken held his sword-hand closest to the demon forward in a weak guard to tempt the demon, encouraging him to come in through the weaker of the two guards, and with the ensuing slash at his head from that very side, the giant bought the hilt of the weapon down at the back of his assailent.

The demon spun quickly in the air and bought his second blade into the match for the first time, deftly blocking the attempt to cripple him. When he hit the ground, the demon lashed out with a violent strike from his right hand sword that could have easily taken off one of Zollken's legs if the giant had not leapt back at the last moment. As a result, the blade bit into the giant's shin, leaving an incision that, while not deep enough to impede his motion, still drew blood.

It would be hard to say of whom the prospect of blood empowered further, for soon both contestants were charging at each other again, not bothering with tenative maneuvers as they danced around each other, jockying for further bloodshed, the Demon Lord making use of his agility advantage with quick feints that would result in him suddenly shifting feet or angles and attacking with such strength that it felt like he was striking from a standing position at a stationary dummy rather then an opponent who was forcing him to be light on his feet. Zollken had to give him credit, the Demon Lord's rapid attacks had some successes, such as when they crossed blades, the demon's left to his right. Wtihout warning, Ten had half spun to one side, as if strking there, and then back spun and attacked the other side from the very position he started in, raking a slash across the giant's ribs that made a small but visible split in his armor..

He was also one of the few contestants who was not afraid to close to melee with the giant and grapple with him, forcing their blades together and winning quite a few of such sword locks, sending sparks flying as he followed with a side slash or deep thrust. In addition to his leg, Zollken also wore gashes and cuts on his lower arms and thighs.

But these were not made without their own punsishment. Following one of the Demon Lords thrusts, Zollken quickly sent a strong knee up into Ten's gut and then, after parrying a counter-slash designed to force him back while the demon lord recovered, the giant managed to draw blood when his blades cut the skin of the demon's back in the instant before Ten bought his swords up to block the attack from taking a chunk of him off. Leaping to his feet, the demon came at him again. Zollken knelt and quickly slashed inwardly with his swords, the maneuver ready to cleave the demon in hailf at the waist if he continued his run. Ten instead leapt atop the two blades, pinning them to the ground beneath his feet and then proceeded to slash at Zollken while the giant struggled to lfit his blades. One...two...three...four slashes from four different angles and then the Demon Lord swung both swords, and both bit into the shoulders of the giant. Howling, Zollken quickly lifted his blades, tossing the Demon Lord into the air, but Ten flipped and lashed out with both his feet in an effort to kick Zollken in the chest should he advance. Holding back, the giant lunged with one blade after the Demon Lord landed and then used the other to bat away a slash from above and then block a counter-thrust from below.

Ten took the offensive then, moving quickly from one foot to the other as he advanced, focusing his attacks at Zollken's sides and head. The giant stepped back calmly, letting his experience return to the match as he blocked the flurry of blows in small parries and quick blocks close to his body that resulted in overextention on the demon's part. After a final attack from the right, Ten leapt back a few steps and prepared to rush forward again. Zolken seized the opportunity and thrust at the demon's head, his blade cutting the skin on the side of Ten's face as he quickly moved his head out of the way; it would leave a nice horizontal scar from cheeck to ear if it went untreated. Not even giving the demon the chance to respond, Zollken put on a rush of his own, slamming into Ten and wrestling him to the ground, attempting to put as much force behind the body check as he could before the demon hit the dirt.

As he pulled back, the demon struck up and cut him below the left eye. Zollken ignored this and, once a reasonable distance away, checked his guard, making sure he could effectively cover ever angle while the Demon Lord got to his feet, but more importantly, before the Demon Lord launched into his next attack.

Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:23 pm
Stablehand

The demon grunted at the impact, feeling at least three of his ribs break. He lay there on the ground for a moment contemplating how such a large thing could hit him...

He had been doing good so far in the match... but he didn't want to be maintaining the current pattern of motion forever. He rolls backward onto his feet once again, repositioning his blades in front of him for a strong offensive.

Once on his feet he leans back on his left foot and kicks off the ground, immediately driving into a dead tilt once again. As he runs he keeps his eyes on the Giant's... flicking his gaze to the legs every once in a while. As he nears Zollken, the goblin giant swings his right hand sword down, not anticipating that Ten would stop short, spin to Zollken's right even further and bring the flats of both murasames against Zollken's knuckles.

As the blade falls from his hand, Zollken howls with rage, swinging the other blade. Just as Ten realizes what's going on, he is hit with what could easily have been a falling tree. The flat of the blade right in the mouth. He crashes to the ground, easily sliding 10 feet before coming to a halt, rebounding from the ground in a backflip, and throwing the sword in his right hand directly at Zollken.

As soon as it leaves his palm, Ten once again leaps forward, running as fast as he possibly can, with the disorientation of the head blow, toward Zollken again. The Giant swats the murasame out of the air like an insect but is too slow to stop Ten from sliding on the ground between his legs and picking up the 7 foot long sword at his feet on the way.

Ten stands, back to Zollken, and says quietly... and violently...

That's... more like it.

Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:39 pm
Stablehand

"Thats...more like it."

The Demon Lord held up Zollken's blade against his arm and sported his remaining sword in a threatening forward stance. Zollken, who still unsure of how the events transpired up to this point, held his remaining sword in a two-handed grip and pointed it at his opponent's throat. The demon came in quickly again, his original sword swinging wildy but precisely up and down at Zollken's mid-section. The giant set his feet and waited until Ten lashed forward with the stolen sword in an over-the-head cut that meant to cleave the giant from shoulder to groin. Zollken quickly swung upward, parried his own weapon, and then whipped his blade around, up, and then downward on top of Ten's, bashing it down and out of the way as he followed through in an effort to sever Ten's arm at the elbow.

The demon countered with his smaller sword and raked a slash across Zollken's upper arm before the giant could finish his attack, a strong slap with the pommel of his sword into the demons damaged chest. Ten hissed in response and jumped back to compose himself before feinting to the right...left... and then coming in low, under Zollken's guard with a rising slash from his shorter blade. The giant slapped his sword down in a parry that was more like a swatting gesture and then, using energy built up from the impact of his sword against Ten's, thrusted at the demon, his blade horizontal to maximize the chance of drawing blood.

Without even seeing whether he actually struck Ten, Zollken twisted the sword vertically in his hand and, with more brute strength then actual technique, swung the wide side of the blade at the demon in an effort to knock him away. Ten, anticipating Zollken's follow-through, ducked the swing and struck upward with Zollken's sword, leaving an angry diagonal slash wound in the giant's chest. Zollken moaned but continued to turn, and then, stopping for a split second to put all the force he could into his next move, spun and swung his sword like one would swing a club at the demon's head.

Now this was more like it...

He felt his knuckles crack and was sure a few of his fingers were broken; it seemed he had hit Ten with his fists more then his sword. The pang of failed calculation was hidden by the searing pain from his chest wound. Blood from the cut above his eye was starting to stain the edge of his vision on one side red, and the giant shook his head quickly, not willing to risk bringing a hand up and compromising his guard.

The situation was grim, but at this point, he was so injured and enraged that Zollken really didn't have any idea what had happened to Ten. What little thought was left told him to keep a strong defense and take a lighter stance, and thats just what the giant did. Blood flowed from his chest wound, but such a problem was nothing Zollken had not already dealt with at some time in the past. He figured he had two almost-full-strength attacks left in him before he collapsed, and hoped that the Demon lord had much less.

Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:35 pm
Stablehand

The impact was incredible. The sound of Ten's nose breaking and his skull cracking in places was deafening.

The demon crashed to the ground, sliding yards away. The blood from his nose spills down his throat and down his face onto his uncovered neck and chest. It takes him a moment to realize that three of his teeth have been knocked onto his tongue. He spits them into the air above him and watches as they fall on the ground a few feet away.

Laying there for a moment, he turns his head and vomits, blood coming up in a great spray. Like a geyser almost. He pushes himself up, fighting dizziness, and stumbles back to his knees.

After another great spray of blood followed by coughing and the shaking of Ten's head, he manages to stand and collect the great blade, throwing his other murasame at the Giant.

The short blade grazes the great beast on the shoulder and again, Ten charges, this time much slower. The blood running from his nose is coming in what appears to be a river, cascading down over his mouth and chin as he moves. Even his ears have started to bleed.

As he nears Zollken, the goblin giant swings the great blade again, but too slow... the loss of blood appeared to be weighing heavily on him. As the blade comes down Ten sidesteps, losing his balance for a minute, and with it... all hopes of mounting his own attack.

SHIT!

He wheels around to go on defense.

Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:38 pm
Stablehand

(OOC: Ten gave me permission to mode as much as I have for this)

It is said that when one loses enough blood, they become enlightened. Whether that was true or not, Zollken wasn't sure, he certainly didn't feel very enlightened. Perhaps the person who spoke of such things was drunk at the time?

It didn't matter, Zollken was bleeding too heavily to care about such deep thoughts. Ten was reeling from his blow, but Zollken didn't remember hitting him that hard, but then, the giant couldn't really remember anything right now.

What he did see though, was the demon rushing at him again. Hefting his sword with what little energy he had left, Zollken had swung a long, slow swing that the demon dodged, only to lose his own momentum and quickly throwing up a defense in the hopes that the giant would not take advantage of the sudden lapse in his assault to mount a counter attack.

Zollken could do nothing of the sort. He wanted to lie down, just to sleep. Sleep, yes, that was the answer to all his problems now...

Then reality came back, and Zollken turned slowly, his own armor stained with blood and held a wavering sword up at his opponent. Worse, the plant-like organism that helped strengthen his armor had actually grown into his wound, and Zollken felt the rise of infection coming.

Fighting this, he brings himself to swing at the demon on a downward diagonal, but Ten dodges it and swings back, missing the wound on Zollken's chest by mere centimeters. Unable to even bring the sword back to its former position, Zollken swings at the back Ten's legs, hoping to knock the demon on his feet. Ten, proving he still was able to fight, regrettably, leapt up in the air and over the weary giant's head. Zollken summoned what little strength he had left and, twisting his blade so that it lay horizontally in his hands, swung up over his head.

The demon must have had a very strong skull, because the impact of it with the blade shattered the sword, scattering metal shards across the field. One of them even landed on the podium where the mistress of ceremonies gave her speeches. When his arms failed him, he saw the hilt and maybe half a foot of actual sword still left. Turning, he saw his opponent sprawled on the ground, unmoving. He should have been overjoyed, should have raised his voice and howled in victory, but something just didn't seem to warrant it; perhaps the loss of blood?

Whatever the case was, Zollken simply grunted weakly and dropped to his knees, allowing his broken body to rest...

Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:23 pm