It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 am

A Grand Tournament Fighting Thread 2 (Closed) 
Stablehand

Xyen as Lia stood up and applauded the match between the Demon Lord and Zollken, impressed by the fighting skill that both had shown. "Excellent job!" she smiled, and the crowd roared with her.

As the healers made their way to the field to guide both men off, she took a look at the empty magic ring and wondered here Norgarth and Lucien were. Due to error in the judging, Lucien would no longer be facing Nereis the Adept - instead he would be fighting Norgarth, and the both of them would more or less fight with whatever tools they had available to themselves.

Nereis would now be fighting Bracus the Archmage. Standing, she smiled and made the announcement on the changes. Due to error on our parts here at the tournament, Norgarth will now be fighting Lucien in our magic circle. Preceeding that however will be a match of fantastical proportions between the Archmage Bracus, and Nereis the Adept."

Applause thundered through the crowd at the thought of such a fantastic magical matchup, and Xyen smiled. "Here in the weapons ring we shall see the match of the Jo-nin of the Ronin, Yoshimutsu Watanabe, against one of his own Blademistresses, Calenia Meriane."

Many cheers went up at the thought of the blademistress fighting the Jo-nin, and already wagers were again being placed. Nodding discreetly towards Yoshimutsu's tent, several runners went and whispered to the armed guards there where Lia and Yoshimutsu were, under heavy guard.

~ Ronin ~ PMS ~[/center]

Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:03 am
Stablehand

Post Beginnings (Magic Match One, Round Two)
(OOC: My spell list is as follows, Bio, Ice 2, Sancutary, Farie Fire, Fire, Cure, Darkness, Endure Elements, Ghost Sound and Hold Person. I will be introducing them from the "message" I recieved in my spectator post, though not in any particular order.)

IC:

Nereis sat watching his giant friend battle with the Lord Ten, a powerful demon who proved to be quite the match for Zollken's strength, and Nereis was sure that Zollken considered himself quite lucky to have suceeded in knocking the demon out.

Now it was his turn though, and like Zollken, he aimed to please his crowd. The only question though, was how? He dredged up in his mind the message his patron saint had sent him:

"Say goodbye to your soul.
Strike with the power of desecration.
Be vigilant wthin my arms.
The purity of crystal shatters all.
The heart's light shows the way.
Waters annoint the weary.
Shadows drink the light.
The elements rage outside the eye of the storm.
Echoes marr the mind.
The chains of death are always strong."

Even as he made his way onto the magic field, feeling the reassuring tingle of the magic walls placed around the field to protect the spectators, Nereis still could not piece together the riddle that had taken over his conscious thought. His centaur opponent was not on the field when he arrived, so Nereis simply took a moment to open himself up to the limitless magic energy that flowed from each blade of grass, rode on the slightest breeze and shone down on him from even the smallest ray of sunlight. The world of magic was open to him now, and even as the lowliest student of his practice, he could find more nourishment in but a breath of air then many wizards found in hours of meditation, such was the power he had been taught.

But he was still new to it, still untrained, and now he was competing against magic users that had been practicing their techniques, however pragmatic he might now consider them to be, for more years then he may have been alive even! His master had taught him to respect such individuals and to offer them his services and assistance whenever he could, and because of such setiments, he felt that now he had already failed with Lady Xyen; he only hoped that now he would be able to lessen the blow with his next opponent.

Xyen.

The name cut through the storm of thoughts in his mind and, though it rekindled painful memories of his previous match, Nereis allowed himself to picture the sidhe in his mind for a fleeting moment. As he pondered why he had not seen or heard of Xyen since his last match; the merwoman would have surely been by Lia's side since the attack on her. Lia had been wounded, and her personal sacrifice had no doubt further endeared her to the warrior Yoshimutsu, but that didn't explain why she was continuing her duties without the merwoman at hand. Nereis turned slightly and looked at Lia where she sat and felt the same ripples in her magic signature that he had found confusing before. Though he knew little about Lia, he did know that compared to Xyen, the mistress of ceremonies had little magic power in her signature; Lia seemed to be more of the stealthy, cunning type who was probably skilled at looting, not conjuring up magic.

Then the thought clicked in his head. It was not a certainty, but Nereis figured he had some time before Braccus appeared on the field, so he reached out to Lia and sent her an image of his face with much more defined, sapphire colored eyes rather then his calmer aqua. The message was simple: "Xyen, is that you?"

Nereis knew the merwoman would never give him a direct sign back, but still, it would be interesting to see if he was correct about her. The gesture also helped relax him, allowing him to focus on his task at hand, deciphering the cryptic message St. Tyris had sent him. Though he mentally struggled with it, something in his heart told him that when he needed to know the answers, they would come to him...

Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:35 pm
Stablehand

Post Magic Match 1, Round 2
(OOC: my spells: Bolt 2, Ice 2, Cure 2, endure elements, sleep, unseen servent, silent image, fire, hold person, and grease.)

I walk away from the incident with Lia and the other Ronins. I shrug as the others go about taking care of Lia and so I walk away and then Inn and Sane start their bantering once again. I try to ignore them but then they start yelling and I can't take it.

Would you guys just just the hell up! And maybe I should have listened to you two, but I didn't. You guys were so rude I'm surprised that Yoshimutsu guy didn't try taking all our heads off! I can't belive the words that spew forth from you two. Just be quiet for a few minutes at least. I want to be able to hear who is in the next round.

I wander through the crowd and watch the people. There are people of all shapes, sizes, races here to watch the tournament. For some reason my mind is drifting to old memories and a twinge of pain picks at my heart for some reason. I start to think of Christina, my wife and I'm about to ask whaen the last time I saw her was....when Inn and Sane decide to start talking once more. I sigh and continue to walk. Then I hear making an announcement and I find out that i'm going up against Nereis the Adept. Ahhh, the one that fought Xyen. He's an Adept? He seemed pretty strong to me, and intelligent. I'll have to be attentive and I better get over to the field. I make my way over to the magic field and I open myself up to the magic. I gather it from the earth and the air around me and it almost feels tangible. I then store that power in the well that is inside me. I mix it with my innate powers and I'm glad I'm not a wizard and more a Sorcerer.

I see that Nereis is already here and I canter out onto the field. I smile over at Nereis and give him a slight bow. I decide to use a defensive spell right away and I speak the arcane words of one of my spells. The air around me starts to swirl before me and the dirt make it look like a small tornado and a small thundercloud forms above it and thunder booms and lightning crackles. The cloud then moves above me and the tornado follows it and the weather strikes at me.

Some weather eh? I hope I can "Endure the Elements"!

The cloud and tornado disappear as I finish the spell. Now what kind of spell shall I use offensively? Ah, I know what I want to do. I close my eyes for a moment and when I open them They glow a deep bluish grey color. I then hold my hands together and I speak into them in the arcane language once again. It looks like I'm talking to my hands when I do this and after a few seconds of this I stop and I open my hands. Perched on my hand is a squirl. A squirl made of fire. It's tail swishes around and the flames waver and small sparks fly from it. I smile down at the squirl and I bring it closer to my face and I whisper into it's ear. I then throw the squirl into the air and it spreads it's leags and it starts to glide towards Nereis. It picks up speed and it does a dive bomb straight for his head.....
(OOC: the last spell there is fire.)

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:54 pm
Stablehand

Post Secrets Unveiled (Magic Match One, Round Two)
The brash archmage sent the fire spell streaking at his head, and Nereis quickly begins running through the riddle in a desperate attempt to determine which spell to use. Each of the obscure statements ripples across his mind as the fireball starts to pick up speed. Then, one of them comes to him, forming on the lips of his mind.

"Shadows drink the light."

"Shadows?" Nereis thinks to himself. Then suddenly, "not shadows, but 'Darkness!'" The spell from the spell chart leaps into his mind, and the young adept gives mental sigh of relief as he summons an aura of dancing magic energy around himself and reaches into the impurity of his own heart to feed it with images of the many sins and trials he had endured his life.

The effect is immediate; the aura starts to turn murky and then finally a raven black as it twists around him. Reaching both hands to the sky, Nereis allows himself a smile as the entire aura of ink-black energy surges up his arms and begins to vibrate wildy in his hands, which then close to fists. Letting his hands fall dramatically, Nereis opens his fists and spreads his arms apart but keeps both bent at the elbow. The aura rockets down his limbs and spreads across a section of the field, coating it in an unnatural darkness that will be all but impossible to see through, unless the archmage thought to include farie fire in his spell repertoire.

Though he was relatively safe, there was still the fireball, which was only seconds from hitting his head. Nothing else coming to him at the moment, Nereis did a quick sidestep and felt the burn as the diving fire spell grazed his shoulder, and quickly smothered the fire that threatened his robe. He regretted not including wall in his list of spells, but he trusted St. Tyris to help him, and he knew if she had reason to avoid the spell, there was no reason for him to be worried about it.

He needed to do more then just hide, he needed to set himself up in a position to strike at the archmage...

"Echoes marr the mind"

"Echoes marr the mind..." Nereis runs down the list of spells that involve echoes in any way.

Only one matched the cryptic rhyme "ghost sounds"

Letting his conscious race along the breezes, Nereis begins to gather them around him and starts to whisper softly to them while he alters their magic flows. The winds start to mimic his whispers and then spread out eagerly into the darkness he created like children just pointed in the direction of a sack of presents. As they traverse through the cloak of night, some begin to whisper as the adept had done, others rustle the grasses, making footsteps and varying their paces so that it would be more convincing.

It was truly a remarkable sight...well it would be, if one could see it that is. Nereis then stepped outside of the darkness on the far side from the archmage, but stayed ready to run back inside lest the archmage decide to patrol the outside of his illusion. Either way, he was safe... for a little while, and could wait out the endure elements spell, then he could fight back.

It would now be Bracus's job to determine how to approach the young adept, and anyway he did, Nereis would be ready...

Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:28 pm
Stablehand

I smile as Nereis casts the Darkness spell. Hmmm...not bad and now I wish I would have chose Faerie Fire. Oh well, I wonder if he will try to remain defensive or go on the offensive yet? As I try to think of a spell to get around the Darkness I start to hear noises and voices. What did he do now? Ventriloquism, no not that....Wait, it must have been Ghost sounds? Ok Bracus, concentrate fool! What spell would be useful witht his darkness in my way? I put my hand to my chin and contemplate this for a few moments.

I wonder if that would do any good? Ah he is good. And those sounds are distracting me. Ok now, just block out the sound and think man! Maybe the Unseen servant spell would work?

Huh? Ah man! Would you two quit yelling at me! I know what...Hey now! Take that back Sane! You agree Inn? Oh I'm gonna wring both your necks when this is over! Friggin, fraggin gol damn, sons...of...grrrr...

As I grow angry at Inn and Sane my eyes start to glow even brighter and Then decide to go with a different spell altogether. I start to chant in the arcane language of magic and I hold my fists together. They start to glow a yellowish color and I then spread my arms apart and lightning crackles betwen my fists. I continue to chant and the lightning crackles and jumps around my entire body. I then open my fists and spread my fingers. All the lightning just arcs between my hands. My chanting get's fatser and louder and then I suddenly stop. I hold my hands out before me and I then say...

Shining Bolt!!

The lightning bolt (bolt 2) arcs across the field, throwing up dirt and creating a wide path of scorched ground in its wake. It enters the darkness and I don't wait to cast my next spell. I start to chant once again and the area right to my left starts to glimmer and it looks like the air itself is wavering. I stop my chanting and it looks like there are now two of me standing there. (silent image) I stand as still as possible and try to discern if my bolt spell did any damage or if it missed him completely.

Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:53 am
Stablehand

Post Magic match one, round two
Nereis couldn't believe his good fortune, the archmage's thunder spell lanced into the artificial darkness...and emerged from the other side a good five feet from where he was. While he could have taken the time to contemplate the power output of the centaur's spell, he knew he needed to go on the attack.

Making his way back into the darkness, Nereis hazarded a peek out of the swirling clouds...and saw two Bracus's? The young adept frowned and then recalled the image creating spell he had seen on the spell lists; surely the centaur had decided to play the waiting game. His endure elements was still up as well, leaving Nereis with little he could actually do to the centaur.

"Say goodbye to your soul."

The emergence of that single line sent Nereis back into the realm of questions, for how does one say goodbye to their soul? Surely there was no spell that offered the removal of the soul on the list, and then, an old seminary lesson was dredged up. In it, it described a wizard who utilized toxins and venoms so well, that he actually injure the souls of his victims; burning away the very essence of life itself from them. Of course, such things were often considered myths, but then, even myths could be used to create ways to harm, couldn't they?

And so, after retreating back to the outside of the field of darkness from where he came, Nereis reached down into the deep Earth, where the bodies of old were laid to rest. He was not a necromancer, but even the priests of Castillia were taught how to command spirits and control souls, so the task was not that difficult. Drawing up five ancient, ummified corpses, Nereis organizes them into a straight line in front of him. Though the centaur was attempting to play mind games with him, Nereis knew that just as Xyen had been smited by his spell's weaker cousin, he could bring the centaur to his knees with this one as well.

Etching a more defined, more potent poison rune into the air, that of bio, Nereis begins a chant of his own, hiding his smile as the figment noises in the field of night start to mimic his words. The corpses in front of him begin to glow green with infection and pestilence, and the runes from his fingers begin to appear on the chests of these once notable souls, for one must be notable to be mummified. So potent is the runes he draws, that Nereis's own eyes begin to water as the stentch of rot and decay escapes from its linen bonds wtihin the corpses. Nereis raises his right hand and watches as the five delivery mechanisms for his spell begin to swell and expand, filling with the components of his runes.

When he can fill them no further, Nereis calmly lowers his hand and snaps his fingers once.

With a sickening thud, the five corpses explode the instant the sound is made, and amidst a high spraying blast of rotting, infected gibbs and bone, a wall of putrid, toxic fluids erupts from each corpse like a gyser in the direction of the Archmage and his magic image. Following close behind that tainted liquid is a visible yellow cloud carrying the stench of death mingled with what would best be described as sulfur (to diverge into actual components would be crossing the line between merely improper and horribly disrespectful).

It was perhaps the most vile spell Nereis had ever casted, and he made a note to include the components of it in future spells he might cast after the tournament. But for now, watching the bio-enriched liquid and cloud descend upon the centaur with pieces of stinking flesh and bone still raining down, burning into the ground they touched was a sight enough.

Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:13 pm
Stablehand

Post Final Actions Magic Match one, Round two
Nereis was not sure if the archmage had been struck by his bio spell yet, but he knew that at this point, the archmage's endure elements had to be close to failing, and it was time to drop the deception and strike at the archmage with all he could muster.

"The purity of crystal shatters all"

Not even needing to ponder the answer to the riddle, Nereis formed a war staff of green magic energy and swung it about himself as a staff fighter would to loosen himself up. His shoulder still burned a little, but he would heal that himself after the match. When he was sufficently relaxed, he weaved the weapon around in an intricate pattern that quickly formed a blue-colored that chilled the air around it. Drawing as much energy as he could from around and even within him, Nereis felt his body temperature drop as the heat from within him was sucked by the powerful vaccum of the rune. With his teeth chattering, Nereis cried out to the archmage, answering his haughty remark at the beginning.

"There was once a goddess of ice Bracus, and though I am not her servant, you will find my ice magic to be more then powerful enough."

With each pause during his speech, the young adept blew out fog from his breath, perhaps the only thing still warm that came from him at this point. He held his staff vertically in front of him, and then dramatically twisted it so it laid horizontally, and in front of him the darkness split and parted, revealing the centaur and his mirror image. The bio spell still surged towards him, and Nereis knew that the archmage would have to move at some point, less he be hit with the bio spell, but at this point, he didn't care. All that mattered was finishing the spell he started before he fell asleep...

Lifting his staff, Nereis watched as a beautiful, flawless crystal formed above his head. It pulsed with the power of the ice element, and even through there was a magic wall, Nereis hoped that someone was feeling the cold he was. So cold was the gem suspended above him that it gave off a healthy mist into the air. With the grass beneath him for about a five foot radius frosting over, Nereis tossed the archmage a faint smile, mostly because he was too cold to do better, and spun, his staff swinging up at the crystal.

With a sound like one had dropped a cathedral window, the crystal shattered into dozens of pieces of ice, which began to spin angrily in the air like a swarm of insects that has just had their nest disturbed. Nereis used the last ounce of his energy to point his staff to where the archmage and his duplicate stood. The shards needed no further prodding and surged forward at the centaur in a wall of icy blades.

Whatever hit his opponent first, the vile fluid or the shards of ice, Nereis didn't care; he was tired now, and wanted only to sleep.

And when he hit the ground, sprawling over into the frosted bed he had made for himself, thats just what he did.

(OOC: Last spell was Ice 2, not ice, sorry for any confustion)

Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:31 pm
Stablehand

Post Magic match 1, Round 2
As I begin to try to see around the Darkness I notice something rather nasty looking coming out of it. It is heading straight for me and dripping...flesh and bone? Ah nuts! It must be a Bio spell. This is not gonna be fun. I try to wait till the last moment tomove out of the way as it looks like the cloud is heading slightly towards the image of me. When the cloud get's right in front of me I step backwards and try to shuffle to the side. A small portion of the cloud touches me and a piece of flesh lands on me. I falter as the smell of the nasty cloud almost makes me retch. And I get out of the way of the rest of the cloud. Coughing and almost chiking I suddenly don't feel too well. Then I hear Nereis call out...

Quote:
"There was once a goddess of ice Bracus, and though I am not her servant, you will find my ice magic to be more then powerful enough."

Oh man, he's not doing what I think he gonna do is he? Most likely he is.....I better cast ... COUGH!! HACK!! COUGH!! RRRAAAAAALLLLPPPPHHHHH!!!! Oh, that's not good....uhhhh... I hope I can cast this cure2 spell before he get's that ice one sent. Oh, I can't concentrate, damn! He is good, better than I thought even. I can do it! I then fall to front knee's and barely stay upright. I begin to chant and I close my eyes. I reach deep inside my well of magic within me and bring forth that witch is my greatest ability, healing. My body glows a bluish-grey as I chant and the cure spell begins to work. I stop my chanting and the spell is finished. I'm not 100% healed, but it will hopefully be....oh crap! The endure elements is gone! I look up as the wall of icey blades is hurtling right for me. Well, at least some of it will miss me...Damn it's getting cold! I stay low and....

thwip....thwip...ching....thwip...thwip...ching....ching...thwip...ching...

The blades of ice hit me many times and I can hear the ones that miss shatter as they hit something behind me. I hold my arms in front of my face and take a majority of the blast.

OUCH!!

I don't know if I can manage another spell or not....damn that hurt....oh look at all the little spot's of blood....it's kind of....

THUMP!!

I fall to the ground unconscious...

Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:38 pm
Stablehand

Xyen-as-Lia nodded at the guard who was quietly speaking to her, and she informed him that he needed to go and let the Jo-nin know of his match - which would be beginning, now.

The second part of the tournament seemed to drag a little longer than what the first one did, but this didn't bother Xyen in the slightest. There were so many details to pay attention to - it was amazing how Lia did it all.

Xyen's attention had been so focused on everything else that she never felt Nereis' mental greeting. Of course, she wouldn't have felt it anyways, having cast many shields to keep prying eyes away from her. Since the other day when the malevolent eyes had watched her, she had been extra careful.

Xyen never paid heed to those who randomly spoke to her mentally anyways. Conceit? Perhaps - but the merwoman simply didn't care if others did it - it was a waste of time and energy, and a poor attempt at showing off.

She stood and spread her hands wide, commanding the attention of the audience. Drawing her mind into herself, Xyen-as-Lia began to speak. "Bravo! Good match, y'know." She smiled and waited for Calenia to appear in the weapons ring before continuing. "An' now we'll be seein' two very talented warriors in th' ring, y'know. I present to you Calenia Meriane, bladesmistress of the Ronin an' her opponent, Yoshimutsu Watanabe - respected Jo-nin o' the Ronin."

((OOC: sorry folks - been busy as heck. Anyways - on with the Calenia/Yoshimutsu match. Norgarth - you need to post your match or you'll be disqualified.))

~ Ronin ~ PMS ~[/center]

Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:57 pm