It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Something Stalks the Walls of Armengar (INCA) 
Stablehand

Post Something Stalks the Walls of Armengar (INCA)
[OOC]
For the rules of this thread, please visit this page.
WARNING: There may be some descriptive material here that some people may find unsettling.
Comments are welcome - in fact, requested - at ICQ UIN 15114434.
[/OOC]

~//~

Kyler Hearton fought - unsuccessfully - to suppress a shudder as he pulled his cloak tighter about his shoulders and wondered, not for the first time, if he had made the right decision in lying to the recruitment officer.

City Guards were supposed to be of at least eighteen summers, for the inheirent dangers were deemed unsuitable for those of younger ages. Kyler, however, had never agreed with such a rule - he did not understand the logic that said that some magical day could suddenly render an unsuitable youth a capable guardsman - and when his father, a member of the venerable Red Wings, elite guardians of the city, was killed last autumn, Kyler had vowed he would guard Armengar in his father's place.

So a quick lie to the recruiters - yes, he was eighteen, he only looked sixteen - and the younger Hearton found himself here, high atop the battlements of Armengar's Eastern Fortifications. The most pointless position in the entire city.

Armengar was situated high in the mountains, and had been built to be as impregnable as possible - a successful venture, given the city-state's moniker The City That Never Falls - and as such, was perched on the brink of a great cliff, where an entire half a mountain had been sheared away by some great geological cataclysm before time. Then the great Eastern Fortifications had been built on top of that, three hundred feet tall, to bring the total drop to just over four thousand feet. Straight down.

No enemy, in thousands of years of warfare, had ever attempted to scale those cliffs. To do so in any kind of numbers was ridiculously impossible. Nary a sword had ever been swung in defense of the Eastern Fortifications, and Kyler could not help but wonder why a guard was posted here at all, other than to be frozen by the constant winds that howled in from over the great chasm. Indeed, it was often joked that the walls were more to keep the city from spilling over the edge than to keep out some horrible foe. Yet here he was, stuck in the backwater of guard postings, far away from any chance at proving himself and gaining the attention of the Red Wings.

Kyler shivered again, and took a moment to curse, rather gratuitously, whoever had stuck him here. Of all the postings in the city, why, oh why, did he have to be stuck where there was never any action....

The young man's thoughts trailed off as he noticed something strange up ahead. There, near the edge of the wall, the sky seemed blacker than the night around it... Kyler shook his head and blinked several times. He was being ridiculous, he knew. Blacker than black? Lunacy. And yet... the young guard walked closer, his hands tightly clutching his frost-covered spear.

It was when he stood before the blackness that Kyler Hearton suddenly, chillingly, heard it.

Or rather, didn't hear it. The howling wind, a constant companion on the high walls of the Eastern Fortifications, had gone completely silent. Kyler lifted the butt of his spear and banged it, hard, against the stone wall beneath him - nothing. His first wild thought was that he had somehow gone deaf from the cold, and he would get better when he had warmed up back at the station.

And then he looked up, and realised that he was wrong.

The blackness was not a patch of dark sky at all, but rather a shadow, a moving, living shadow. A tendril of darkness whipped out from the thing, and then arced away from him trailing a line of red.

Kyler's breath came up short. He didn't want to look down, but for some reason his eyes dropped anyways, and he learned why he couldn't inhale. Most of his chest was mysteriously missing.

The young guard thought desperately of all his dreams as he sank to the stone. It wasn't possible, he knew. He was going to follow his father, join the Red Wings... This was just some cruel dream - real stone wasn't this cold, not in real life.

It was cold. So very cold....

An alt brought to you by Creaser.

Last edited by The Story-Teller on Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:07 pm
Stablehand

Arduth sighed as he sat on his heels, hunched over the corpse. The boy could not have possibly been more than seventeen, yet here he was, dead on the high walls of the Eastern Fortifications.

As the chief murder investigator of the city guard, Arduth had seen a hundred violent scenes of death - but never anything like this. The only way the boy was recognizable as human at all was because his head had been found further down the wall. All that remained of the body was a grotesque husk - and a massive stain against the stone. No beast nor man alike could have torn apart a body like this, not here, in the middle of the strongest fortifications in all the known world. Sometimes deep in the mountains an unfortunate trapper would stumble across a victim similarly ravaged, but that was out in the wild - this was in the safest part of the capital of all INCAn realms.

This simply was not possible.

Arduth growled in frustration and reeled away from the mess. There was nothing there for him, he knew. No one had heard or seen a thing, indeed the murder wasn't even discovered until early this morning when the light of dawn revealed the scene to the watchmen of the station not four hundred feet down the wall. None of them had heard anything, which was no great surprise given the constant howl of a wind that drowned out your words the moment they passed your lips. With no witnesses and no ideas, Arduth was having a very bad day.

There was nothing to be done, he knew, but to wait until the killer struck again. And anything that so obviously rejoiced in the slaughted would strike again, of that Arduth was certain.

Arduth shouted over the wind at the nearest guardsman as he stormed from the scene, "DOUBLE EVERY WATCH."

An alt brought to you by Creaser

Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:05 pm
Stablehand

Post A Tour Gone Sour
With the war between his new brethren and the forces of SAO and Ronin at an end, Icclictus was more then happy to announce Bilefroth's elevation in rank and the granting of his wings. Now the Creature of Tonin and his army had yet another way to strike at those that would oppose Foret, and Bilefroth's insect wings, which unfolded from within a hard, magically-grown shell on his back, glimmered faintly in the moonlight. Icclictus had seemed unsettled at the idea of such wings, but Bilefroth assured him that they were best for the kind of fighting he did, and that seemed to satisfy the angel. In the daylight, they appeared transparent with only the vessels in them flickering slightly as they pumped blood through the new appendages. At night though, they were, for all intents and purposes, invisible, and Bilefroth had been working on keeping them quiet as he used them, so he looked forward to the new positions he could reach and strike from when he did his nightly hunts.

After a small ceremony with his troops, Icclictus had suggested the idea of visitng an INCA fortress and giving a small tour of it, to further advance Bilefroth's knowledge of his brethren, and the creature had agreed. To that end, Icclictus had suggested the heavily guarded citadel of Armengar as the first stop, claiming that he knew it best of all the other places. We both agreed to spend two days and two nights there, and then would continue on to another area.

Neither of us could have prepared for what we would find in the capital, and looking back at the trip, I often question why the first time we saw the body we thought to stay. She looked like a servant of some kind, or at least she smelled like one, probably a bakers assistant; the scent of bread and pastries was thick on what little of her was left. Her entire lower body was stripped of flesh and only blood-stained bones remained; the murderer had either wanted to eat a little of his capture, or he wanted to make her suffer before she died, either prospect unsettled me. Her face had large slashes in it, and pulverized brain matter continued to seep out of a crack in her skull. Both her eyes had burst, and a pool of the fluid from them had formed in the hole in her cheek. Her neck was gone, and when I tore her linen shirt to check her chest, I found a rather large hole inbetween the breasts.

Neither lung nor heart was inside.

Icclictus was horrified at the buchery, but then, he had not seen the deaths I had. What the elves had done to my people made this seem like a merciful death, and the I found myself envying the girl in the saddness of my ripped-anew emotional wound over the plight of my people. I had joined the forces of INCA so that never again would we have to suffer or see such horrors again in our lifetimes.

But now was not the time for such regresses. I had a tour to continue on, and was about to suggest that we find an inn to stay at, then I heard the call.

"DOUBLE EVERY WATCH!"

At this, I told Icclictus to find an inn for us, while I did some investigating. These Armengarians would be able to play guard, but none of them could hunt this...man or whatever it was like I could, and I intended to find the answers for myself. Bidding me a shakey goodbye, Icclictus went to one of the more closely guarded inns while I continued to walk among the streets. The blocks were deserted, and then I saw the light for the first time.

An old man sat on a blanket with a lit candle resting on the ground as he spoke a haunting text over and over again.

"Deaf I've been for many years, a curse in such sad times. But now I hear the voices, the voices telling me of the coming...the coming! YES THE COMING! IT is coming, IT cannot be stopped and IT will take the price in the blood of innocent and guilty alikE! IT WILL BE a RECKONING..."

His words repeated themselves, and a quick look at him revealed that yes, he had been deaf, for his ears were bloodied and mangled. His scent spoke volumes... he needed to bathe... but also that he was seriously frightened by what he was saying, and I had a hunch that he was telling the truth.

I tend to follow my hunches.

I shed my cloak, letting my dark, forest green skin hide me in the night, and opened my night eyes, lessening the darkness around me. Recently, I had been suffering some kind of infection that limited the potency of my night vision, but I shrugged it off as fatigue. Whatever it was out there would need this little benefit, but I didn't intend to let whatever it was reap the rewards of its boon.

Taking a vantage point atop a church, I waited for the first signs of motion, of murder, and hoped that the night would not be nearly as bad as I feared it might become.

Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:07 pm
Stablehand

Marcus Kael gave a long, hearty laugh at his friends jest as they trudged down the muddy lane towards the aptly named Mud Gate. The woman turned out to be the man's wife... oh that was a good one!

The Mud Gate was a small portal that ran beneath the North Wall, through which peasant commerce flowed into the smallfolk markets in the Northern part of Armengar. The gateway itself was about wide enough for four horses to ride abreast, or a small wagon, much like those the traders used. The constant traffic of dirty animals and even dirtier people left the ground in a perpetually muddy state, somehow staying moist in even the driest seasons.

The gate was closed and sealed now, as it was every night from sunset to dawn. Marcus and his friend Daymun were members of the city watch sent to relieve the shift that guarded the gate - largely a symbolic gesture, for the small entrance was of little importance to the kinds of armies that might try to seize Armengar. As they neared the gatehouse (actually more of a cave cut into the wall), Marcus gave a shout to the guardsmen whom were to be relieved.

"Hullllo!" He called our cheerfully.

Only a perverse silence greeted his call. Marcus shrugged it away - his esteemed colleagues had made plans to bring a bit of ale on their watch this night, he knew, and had evidently drank a bit too much.

"Seems theys tipped a'bit too much, what?" Daymun said conspiratorally, his words matching Marcus' own thoughts exactly. Daymun always added the questioning "what" to whatever he said, as if seeking approval for his words. Marcus thought that particular trait was rather funny.

But as they drew nearer, something began to tug on Marcus' conscience. Something was wrong here... but what?

"Hey shouldn't theys have on some light, likes a torch o' something? Theys should, what?" Again Daymun's words mirrored Marcus' thoughts. No torch burned outside the gatehouse as regulations required, and the interior was sheathed in shadow.

"Give me your flint, Daymun." Marcus commanded as he pulled the unlit torch from the bracket outside the gatehouse.

The torch was soon lit, and Marcus held he up as they stepped through the door.

"Come on now, boys. Where are ye at?"

Even with the torch burning brightly, visibility was still limited to a few feet as the darkness seemed to press closer than normal. Daymun's hand clutched Marcus' shoulder as they moved across the room. When they came to the far wall, Marcus knew something was very, very, wrong.

The wall was a glistening deep shade of red.

Marcus trailed a finger across the wall, and it came away wet. Blood. He lowered the torch until the floor came into the light. Daymun suddenly, violently, retched.

The floor was littered with small, lumpish piles of torn flesh and broken bone.

Marcus grabbed the still heaving Daymun by his collar and bodily threw him out of the gatehouse. He lurched out himself afterwards and grabbed fantically for his horn.

A long, powerful note of alarm broke the night silence.

Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:01 pm
Stablehand

The room was roughly square shaped, perhaps ten feet to a side, and about seven feet from floor to ceiling.

There was barely a spot to be seen that wasn't stained red with blood.

What is happening here...?

First there had been the murder on the wall the night before last. Then that same night there had been the baker's daughter - which the local inspector had somehow seen fit not to tell him about - and now this. On top of it all, there were three people who had gone missing from the public housing district under the shadow of the Eastern Fortifications. Arduth knew, he had checked.

Those three were undoubtably also dead, unless the killer had abducted them for some reason. Assuming they were, that brought the kill count to 6 - or 7, depending on who was counting. There had been two men scheduled to be on duty here at the Mud Gate last night, but now there was merely a mess, and Arduth could not be sure if it was the remains of the two men or just one.

One thing was crystal clear to the investigator, however. This thing had to be stopped now, or the situation would soon get out of hand.

Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:45 pm
Stablehand

As the echoing cry of the horn pierced the air of sleepy city, Bilefroth leapt from his position atop the church and began to bound across the buildings in an effort to find its source. The wind was just beginning to carry the scent of blood, and that, more then the sound of the horn and despite the fact he had no idea where he was going sent Bilefroth forward. The memory of the female corpse he and Icclictus had come across reappeared in his head as he cleared a final building and then leapt down to the streets.

When he arrived at the sound of the horn, Bilefroth silently ducked into the shadows, not letting the two unfortunate men who found the latest murder see him. There was no doubt that this was the location, the scent of blood and fear was much thicker here, but he dared not reveal himself to the two who had found the murders or murders; they had enough stress of heart and didn't need to see something out of a horror story appearing before them. Bilefroth was about to make hisway back to my church outpost and waited out the evening... then his aural membranes picked up another individual, turning him back to the scene he had been listening in on.

The man smelled of concentration, the first sane mind set Bilefroth had smelled since he began his nightly watches. Peering out from the shadows, Bilefroth spotted the man and recognized him as Arduth, a captain of the guard that Icclictus had pointed out when they first entered the city. The man had never met Bilefroth, and the creature was suddenly unsettled about the idea of revealing himself to the man, mostly because his visage was one of nightmares as it was, and with the current situation, his job was stressful enough. Still, the man needed to know he had a friend within the darkness.

Silently stepping from his hiding place, Bilefroth cleared his throat as he drew himself up on his hind legs and attempted to look as civilized as he could for the guard leader. The Creature knew his appearence had to be at the least unsettling, a large (7'5"), reptile-like demon creature with dark skin, bald head, no ears, tail trailing behind him. He would see Bilefroth's second pair of eyes, but that didn't really matter given the situation. At the least the Creature's head was like a human's head...

"Greetings sir, I am Zam, a visiting lord. I have been watching the murders, and while I have nothing solid, I just wanted to make my self known to you so that your guards do not see me and panic; I tend to like evening strolls, particularly when there is something to hunt."

Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:47 pm
Stablehand

The sword was in his hand before he knew he had reached for it. Perhaps all those hours training really had paid off.

Still though, Arduth knew he was a capable, but entirely unremarkable swordsman. He doubted that would be enough against this thing that confronted him.

And then it spoke.

"Greetings sir, I am Zam, a visiting lord. I have been watching the murders, and while I have nothing solid, I just wanted to make my self known to you so that your guards do not see me and panic; I tend to like evening strolls, particularly when there is something to hunt."

Arduth paused for a very long moment while he collected his thoughts. Could this creature be the killer? He knew instantly that it was not. It just stood there calmly, clearly used to this type of reaction, and awaited his reply. There was an aura of danger there, to be sure, but Arduth himself did not feel threatened. And then there was the speech - a pure killing machine, like whatever had been committing these murders, could not speak so civily, could it?

No. This was not the killer. But Arduth did not yet put away his sword.

"A visiting lord, you say. From where? Why are you here? What do you want? What is it that you like to hunt?"

Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:49 pm
Stablehand

The creature suppressed the meat-eating smile that just begged to leap onto his lips. This man was clearly in charge of the guard; no one else would be so suspicious. His questions though, were fair enough in their own right, and Bilefroth did realize that he owed the man an explanation at the least, an assurance at the most.

His eyes flickered to the sword in the guards hand, an Bilefroth quickly ran through a dozen or so scenarios in which he had killed men who merely possessed swords, much less drew them. The urge simply to return to his inn where Icclictus was waiting fought a war for control of his intent with the desire to leave this man unanswered and continue with his scouting unannounced.

Neither won, and Bilefroth simply shrugged.

"I am a warrior of INCA, much like yourself, and I came here with my political advisor, Icclictus to tour the lands of the INCA, and he suggested this city first. When we arrived, I caught the smell of blood, and thats when we found the baker woman's corpse. Since then, I have been scouting around in an effort to find this...thing that is killing before we have a panic or others trying to follow suit with it.

As for what I hunt... lets just say that whatever likes to come out a night and cause problems is usually at the top of my menu, uh, I mean, 'list'."

To further prove myself, I parted the shell that had been magically grown on my back and let my insect-like wings appear. They were barely visible in the dim light of the street, but the creature stepped into the light slightly, ignroing the fact that he never really did that sort of thing, and hoped his wings would be more visible.

Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:26 pm
Stablehand

Arduth did not believe such a creature could be bretheren with some of the most famous heroes of the Mountain Realms. But yet, Kllan Stonehammer was an orc, a notoriously savage race, yet the guardian of Armengar was perhaps the most legendary figure of them all...

And then this "Zam" stepped forward, and Arduth saw the faint traces of his wings. Odd wings, to be sure, but wings nonetheless.

He is one of them.

"My apologies my... Lord. You must forgive me my hesitation - dark things have been stalking the night. Of course you shall be allowed free roam of all of Armengar, the captain of the guard may be wary, but I will speak to him for you.

"I warn you though, what ever this... this thing is, be wary of it. Which each kill, I grow more fearful of what it may be capable of."

Only then did Arduth recall he still held his sword before him, and sheepishly slid it back into its sheath.

Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:12 pm
Stablehand

Post Friends in Uneasy Situations
Bilefroth nodded as the guard withdrew his sword and expressed his fears. Though he was no expert on managing providences in which humans, elves, goblins or elementals were the majority population, Bilefroth had no doubt that in the face of such a mysterious and malicious entity, panic would ensue. His own forces were those of the vampire general, and as such, they had little concern about morale; even the lowly Mulio would relish the chance to fight and die against something such as this.

Obviously they needed to do something about this. Perhaps put some bait out? Bilefroth knew the guard would at the least be doubled, anything less would just beg for trouble in such a time.

"I have no doubt the watch has been reinforced... perhaps we can figure out what it is this thing is after. The body I found was missing quite a lot of flesh, the heart and lungs. Whatever it is at least has the sense to take the most delicious parts..."Realizing that perhaps he has unsettled the guard with his knowledge of consumption and delicacies involving humans, Bilefroth shrugs."What I mean is perhaps we could offer it some bait, perhaps the buchers in the area have some spare organs they could be convinced to part with. At the worst it would allow us some time to observe the thing, and at the best, we could catch or kill it.

Also, and this is perhaps obvious to you, but I wouldn't tell anyone who you cannot trust about this, less we have a rise of crime due to percieved weakness on the part of the guard..."

Though he said nothing, Bilefroth's aural membranes were already picking up the sounds of broken glass and light, sneaking footsteps several blocks over. Someone was trying to take advantage of the situation, and the creature made a note to council them on proper behavior in times of crisis, though he did not let any of this show to the guardsmen; no reason to put the man on the defenseive...

Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:53 pm
Stablehand

Erton Bray spat as he peered down the alley and into the bustle of the evening street beyond. He hated them all - those snooty high-and-mighties going about their dusktime business, shopping here and visiting there, with their fine clothes and their "sirs" and "madames".

He had been like them once. An owner of a quality tailor shop, Erton had been just like them. He had discovered, however, that he didn't need all that. He got rid of it all. Just threw it away like the garbage it was.

Oh, sure, some people said he drank it away, but what did they know? Nothing! He had gotten rid of it because he didn't need it. All he needed was his box here in his alley, and his whiskey.

The thought of the drink brightened his mood considerably, and Erton dug into his pile of rags until his fingers wrapped around the neck of his latest bottle.

Yes, I got everythin' I need here. I got my box for when it rains, and my whiskey... do wish it weren't so dark though, with all these buildin's pressin' close. My house use' ta have all kinds o' windows ta let in the light...

Just then, Erton noticed something strange. The road outside his alley was strangely silent. Oh, the folk were still streaming past as normal, never glancing down at the man who used to be one of them, but the clatter of the passing traffic - normally clearly audible as it echoed off the alley's walls - could not be heard. Erton raised a finger and flicked at the edge of the bottle. He felt the contact, but did not hear the usually ping.

Erton shrugged. Seems I've gone deaf. he thought. It didn't matter though, he knew, as long as he had his whiskey...

He raised the bottle to his lips, and let the liquid run down his throat. He thought he noticed a strange shadow out of the corner of his eye, but it didn't matter, he knew. He had his box, and his whiskey, and he was content to live there for the rest of his days.

Which he did. An instant later, Erton Bray was dead.

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:00 pm
Stablehand

"Bait... perhaps. But I am not so sure - there doesn't seem to be any consistent indication that this thing is killing for food. The scenes I've visited have all been way too violent for anything that is merely seeking a meal. I mean - just look at what happened in that gatehouse! The first one too, the one up on the wall, most of the body parts were there, they were just torn apart, for no discernable reason.

"The only consistancy has been the hearts - we haven't found any hearts in or near any of the corpses. It's possible that it is taking the hearts for food... but if that's the case, I don't think it'll settle for anything that it hasn't killed itself.

"This is all my own speculation of course, but I think we're dealing with something... different here. Something big. What I need is a witness. Someone who saw something - anything! - that could tell us where to start..."

Arduth shook his head. It was just so frustrating.

"Just... keep your eyes open Zam. Tell me of anything you discover."

Just then a guardsman appeared. He almost dropped his spear when he spotted the INCAn lord, but was smart enough to recover his composure and approach nervously.

"Inspector, my sergeant told me to fetch you. We found the corpse of a drunkard up behind a couple of the shops on StarCastle Way. It's a real mess up there..."

Arduth's face had drained of all colour.

Another one?!

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:49 pm
Stablehand

..Why do i always get stuck with these jobs... The man thought to himself as he looked to the sky. The sun was just getting ready to set along the horizon, a very beatiful view from this high in the mountains he thought. Definately much different than back in his homelands. Everything looked better here in the mountains compared to the vast rolling grasslands, so in a way, he was glad Ein had sent him here.

Supposedly he was here for a meeting that Ein himself was supposed to attend. He did not know why Ein did not come, but he was guessing because of his laziness, and want to stick around home. He was always doing that, it seemed he had a representative for anything that required leaving the gates of his castle. But alas, he was here now, and there was nothing that could be done.

Jet continued his stroll down the busy street. He was a taller man, so he was able to look above the crowd and see how lively it was. Everyone was on their from their various jobs, ducking in and out of various shops, or heading home hoping to see their families. How he longed to be back home with his....

Just then, he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. It was as though the sun hit it just right....he looked to his left, and saw a streak of blood on the ground. As he looked up...he was simply appalled by the sight for his eyes. But farther down the alley, he saw a man, a figure running away. This did not matter too him, he quickly went to check on what he though must be the remains of a human...but there didn't seem to be much remaining...

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:58 pm
Stablehand

Arduth was visible exhausted by the time he reached StarCastle Way. He supposed he should have summoned a horse to ride up, but in his hurry he had simply bolted.

Word was that someone here had seen the killer.

The road was simply packed with spectators. This section was part of the well-to-do district of Armengar, and a murder here had finally roused attention. The upper class of Armengar took little interest when it was guardsmen and peasents dying, but when a death occured here, amongst them - regardless of the fact that it was a drunkard - they stood up and took notice. Suddenly their haven of civility was not seeming so safe.

Pushing through the crowd, Arduth heard much fearful talk. They had a good right to be scared, he knew, but this was most definitely not good. The last thing he needed was a panicking populace hindering his investigation.

As he broke from the crowd and came to the mouth of the alley, Arduth needed only a glance to confirm that this was indeed the same killer. The arms and the legs of the street urchin confirmed that he was probably human, but the rest was splattered all across the alleyway. Identifying this victim would likely prove impossible.

Knowing he could obtain little from the scene itself, Arduth turned instead to the witness, who was standing flanked by two alert guardsmen.

"Mind telling me what happened here?"

Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:16 am
Stablehand

Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:02 pm
Stablehand

Jet was still in shock at what he was witnessing on the ground. Just an hour ago, there was a human here, one who was breathing, living. Now there was little to nothing of him left, except for perhaps the bloodstains on the nearby buildings and ground.

He looked up at the man, whom he figured must have been important, as the guards had cut off the area from the street. After he asked him the question, he broke from the formation of the gaurds and started to pace inbetween the buildins.

"I really cannot tell you much." He gave out a long sigh... "As i was walking down the street, i saw something out of the corner of my eye shimmer in the sunlight. I look over, and I see blood, spraying everywhere, and what you see here. I also saw a man, no, not a man, but something running away from the body. He couldn't have been human because of his size. He was about this big," He stopped and gestured with his hand, about 9-11 feet.

"And he had claws..all over it seemed. I just saw them on his hands and feet...as he appeared to be fully clothed except for those areas. His speed was simply amazing...I could still see the blood flying through the air, and he was half way down this alley into the darkness." Jet proceeded to sit down, to try and calm himself, his hands in his face. He looked back up at the man and the guards.I too had done some investigation work back in my homelands of Ganymade, under Lord Ein, but nothing I've ever seen compared to this...this mess...this horror."

Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:04 pm
Stablehand

The beast flew through the night like an arrow.

Sometimes it ran on two legs, but hunched over like no man would run. Other times it dropped to all fours and tore chips from the stone streets as it raced past. Other times still it leapt great distances, effortlessly sailing across the sky, bouncing from the sides of buildings with horrible gracefulness.

All this it did in completely unnoticed, for an air of silence seemed to accompany the creature wherever it went. It also moved with unimaginable speed, covering vast distances in the time it might take a man to cross the street. Oftimes it sped past unsuspecting Armengarians, with them dismissing it as nothing more than a passing shadow.

And much like a shadow it was, draped in a black cloak that covered near its entire body. Only the forearms and feet protruded from beneath the tattered cloth, with even the head being hidden within the shadow of the cloak's hood, the face indistinguishable. The forarms where massive, powerful things, and each ended in a hand that had not fingers, but rather four huge claws, each the size of a dagger and doubtlessly just as sharp. The feet were long and wide, and the creature balanced on its toes as an animal, not upright like a man. Those toes, too, ended in sickening talons.

It was hard to say how large the creature was, for it moved in a perpetual hunch, shying away from even the faintest bit of light. Had someone seen the beast, they might have guessed it to be perhaps eight feet, but who knew what height it might have reached standing up. It was bulky, as well, its great shape nearly filling the smaller alleys down which it past.

Finally, the creature reached the walls of Armengar. It did not hesitate, but simply leapt, its great claws digging into the stone of the wall's face. It scurried up the two-hundred-foot stone in an instant and then, in a blink of an eye, was over the wall and gone into the night beyond.

Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:44 pm