It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 am

The Riders' Commons 
Stablehand

Post The Riders' Commons
It was a broad, rough cut room, more designed for comfort than style. Tables scattered the room, the bare wood floor was scuffed with chair legs and darkened by too many years of dirty boots and dropped meals. But it was clean and dry, warm and comfortable. The hearth was its greatest luxury.

And that was the Falcon's favored resting place when she ventured into public view. She was one of the oldest of the Riders, as such she'd been granted much in the way of respect even though she spent little time in the presence of her fellows. Many just took it as an occupational trait of the aging thief, secrecy.

She did not look her years, approaching 40 years old, still with the clear youthful look of her late twenties. But she felt the touches of age where no one would notice. She thought perhaps there was a slowness to her body that was new, a loss of agility that was ever so subtle. Closing her eyes she leaned back against her chair, absorbing the warmth of the fire as Riders moved around her.

They were relaxing, chatting and many eating, which was the primary use of the commons. Here they could be themselves. Opening her eyes, Falcon looked around herself, wondering how many of them still knew how to be themselves. She knew that she did not. She'd been a Rider for most of her life and knew nothing else.

Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:57 am
Stablehand

The firelight toyed playfully with Decker's face, exploring with soft hands the freshly formed dips and folds and defining the lines which roamed an unnaturally youthful countryside. It was a face marked by contrast, the deep-set eyes peering out of the shadows dwelling restlessly under a brow that was only beginning to see the encroaching rifts of age. His shoulder-length hair hung limply about his head, adding to the dark atmosphere of his character. It was still thick and full, but thin lines of grey had begun to creep into the jet black mop. Inside his mind, the scenery was bleak. Youthful ambitions lay scattered about a field of grey, the dust of age binding them, unrealized and lifeless, to the once-green landscape.

An observer, comparing him to the woman sitting across from him would have noted with a sense of irony the differences in their appearance. Spritely age against aged youth. But the fire warmed them both, and the heat that it gave it gave to all, regardless of age.

It's a nice fire. He said it slowly, carefully, but with a wispy, almost absentminded quality. The voice was tragically raspy and weak, but loud enough to be heard in this relaxed setting. His head rested in his hands, his elbows rested on his knees. A smile crossed his cracked lips and stayed there, making itself home. He sighed contededly and gazed into the fire.

Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:49 pm
Stablehand

Post Winter's cold followed him in from the dark...
He walked in, shaking the clinging, mud-like snow from his boots. It was one of those dready nights... one of those nights which called for quiet time witha snifter of brandu and a warm fire. Not bothering to look around, he went to the bar and got just that. Dammit, he was cold... but anyone could see that wasnt just because of the weather.

Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:17 pm
Stablehand

-Slithering in as a rather large cobra Nagah quickly shifted to her more personable for in which she had two arms a wickedly fanged maw and a thirst for good company-

Hail riders! I am a new member, they call me Nagah, for obvious reasons.

-Cackles loudly-

I am tired from war and wish to imbide alcohol with good friends!

-Looks around the fire, and sees Blue Heron at the bar-

Ahhh, my friend, may I join you in a drink this eve, I have traveled far to learn of the ways of the riders, once you wet your tongue a bit, would you be so good as to introduce me to the wise one they call Falcon?

-Orders an Ale, warm please-

Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:40 pm
Stablehand

The Hawk reclined in the semi-shadows of a corner of the commons. She was relaxed, and trying to enjoy the unusual feeling. Time to be able to actually relax was uncommon enough among the Riders...she had been with them long enough to know that already. She sat slouched down in a comfortable chair with her feet propped up on a small stool. If one observeed her sitting there, it would seem that she was staring off into space, deeply absorbed in her thoughts. The actual truth was however, that she was engaging in something that she very rarely had a chance to do....absolutely nothing. She wasn't even thinking really, more like just staring off into space and enjoying the companionship of her fellow Riders.

Then someone new entered the commons and as she did, she rapidly changed into a more humanlike form. The Hawk smiled as she saw her, for it was her old friend Nagah. It was about time she settle in enough to find her way to join them. Staring thoughtfully into her chalice, the Hawk realized that it was empty. She sighed softly and realized that it was time for her to give up her seat in the shadows and refill her cup and see how Nagah was doing.

The Hawk moved slowly from the chair, stretching limbs which had stiffened somewhat from the lack of use while she had been sitting in one place for so long. When she had finished stretching the kinks out of her limbs, she moved slowly towards the bar.

Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:05 pm
Stablehand

Post Riders Commons
I saw the light was on through the door, and knew that warmth and friends were within. I went to my horse and retrieved the Cloak and Pin that was given him by the Gryphon so long ago. The Cloak along with my armor had seen better days. But constant war and long battle do tend to wear things out, but I would not trade either for any other. I opened the door and smiled as I saw familiar faces, with a couple of new ones.

I knew this was a place for Riders Young and Old to come and get to know each other. As I crossed the room making my way to my favorite seat, one that faced the door, but let me feel the warmth of the fire to warm tired old bones, I nodded to the Hawk, I could see the weariness in here eyes and new like me, that we had come for a slight rest, restore the vigor for the upcoming wars and the glory to be handed to the Great Mistress.

I walked by the bar and helped myself to a warmed up tankard of wine. Let the young ones have the ale. I proceeded to my chair. I sipped the wine and thought back to all that the Riders had been through. A lot of good times were shared, and some bad, but through it all we had been brothers and sisters in The Great Mistress's Eyes.

Cougar
Love Of Life Is Great, If you Value Yours Sheath your Sword.

Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:23 pm
Stablehand

There was another entrance somewhere beneath the hangings that fell from one wall; older, worn versions of what could be found in the greater halls, more meant as an extra layer of insulation against the world outside than a glamourous display. The entrance itself was hidden, each slat of the wall looking nearly the same.

It wasn't used mostly nowadays, so only a handful of the older Riders remembered it's prescence, where it was. Although the previous leader had liked to use it to appear amongst them, bright and sudden, the Gryphon was more practical. Saidh appreciated that.

But it was for practical reasons that she herself used the hidden door. Slipping out from between the drapings, but not for the splashy entrance that previously had been the doors purpose.

No, she slipped in quiet, unobtrusive. Not sneaking, but not presenting either. Not that there was much to present; these days her dress was that of the children of the desert though they were in no ways near those sandy plains. Flowing yet fitted, face veiled and hidden behind sheer yet dark fabric.

Some speculated, she knew, that that had been where she'd gone when she'd left the Riders for a time, and that was why she wore their gear now. Some speculated that she had something to hide, that her capture in a long-gone war had left it's mark. They were both right, somewhat.

But the clothing was so more comfortable than her old gear, and she could slip so quietly into the chair beside the Falcon without disturbing even one fold of it. The eyes, the most visible part of her features, turning towards the other thief with a movement born of ease. Familiarity.

"Thinking again, are you? Sometimes I worry you think too much."

There was only a tinge of worry in her voice, though. This was no new conversation, this was not the first time she'd said those words. It was almost as old as they were. At least as old as their friendship was. Familiar.

The Wolf Who walks in Twilight
Riders of the Wild Hunt

Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:35 am
Stablehand

She watched Decker approach out of the corner of her eye, somehow curious. He was a bit of an enigma, even to the Lady of the Riders and Falcon was grateful for any chance to glean knowledge of him. Her eyes were barely open, the blue just visible if one looked her fully in the face.

It's a nice fire. is words stirred her, as he settled into the seat opposite her and she sat up a little straighter, brushing loose strands of white and dark brown off her face, eyeing this Rider who had come to them broken. Her eyes flicked around the room and she thought how that's the way it used to be. The broken came to the Hunt. Broken....like herself....and like the Wolf....like this Decker. Now there were those that heard the call, without suffering the heartbreak. She wondered what that did to their dedication, if they were losing the edge that made them Riders.

"Fire doesn't know how to be nice." she mused, turning her bright blue gaze upon him. "It is terrible and beautiful...and we use it for a time, for warmth, for cooking, for destruction," her eyebrow rose, in inquiry it seemed. "But in the end, it will turn on us. If we are not cautious, it will turn on us. But yes, it is warm, it dries us, for now it is useful." She was a thief, skilled in the ways of sabotage, how a flame could be set just so, and then no one would be able to save the destruction wrought by a single spark.

A breath of movement behind her. She swivelled her head, knowing who she would see before she saw her. Blood sister. She wondered if that was why she knew when Saidh was there. Wondered if there was something in that ceremony that left blood calling to like blood or perhaps it was just the long awareness of one another. A slight variation of scent, the difference of movement. It could be so many things. But whatever it was, Dai heard her before saw her and waited for her friend to approach and sit without a word.

"Thinking again, are you? Sometimes I worry you think too much."

"That's because I do think too much, Saidh." She used the other Rider's name easily, it came easier than calling her Wolf. Perhaps it was because she had been there when the Wolf was only Saidh. And Saidh had been there when the Falcon had only been Dai'Alein, a scruffy little thief. "But I'm trying not to, and the children make it so easy with all their noise." There was a wry twist to her mouth as she gazed about the room, at so many younger Riders with a slight shrug, as if to say, "We were that young once, what happened?"

Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:56 am
Stablehand

"But in the end, it will turn on us. If we are not cautious, it will turn on us. But yes, it is warm, it dries us, for now it is useful."

Decker turned and met the woman's eyes as she spoke, his head still in his hands. He looked not with challenge but with a lazy sort of gaze, sleepily interested. The fire had dryed his eyes, and now he blinked once or twice. On his moist eyes reflected the firelight, brightly dancing on the pale blue maelstroms and sinking in their empty cores.

Hmm. The sound caught in his throat, causing him to cough a bit. He kept his smile, kept his contented features. Some things did not leave a person easily. But inside, he felt the words nick something deep. Yet he did not say anything. Taking his eyes from the woman, he leaned back in the chair and stared at the ceiling. The shadows dwelt there also, slipping in and out of each other spritefully. Maybe they held some secret that no one else could understand and mocked the "sentient" world with their dance. Decker smiled at that.

"We were that young once, what happened?"

No... His smile faded, if only a little bit. Yet the idleness had gone from it. He closed his eyes and sunk further into the chair.

Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:18 pm
Stablehand

Post In the guise of clumsiness...
The Swan brushed, accidentally of course, against the Heron's arm, sloshing his brandy. Assuming horrified shame, she gave a dip of her fair head, gems glinting in the curly blond locks. "Pardon me, my lord Heron..." she murmured, blue eyes sparkling with....mischief was it? "How are you this evening?" She querried solicitiously as she dabbed at the brandy she'd spilled over his hand with a cloth. Her nature was bright and warm, if it had a trace of lightness that lent itself to insincerity. "I am afraid I owe you a brandy now." Kaudri smiled up into his face with just the right hint of apology.

Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:19 am
Stablehand

Ahhh, that is much better. I feel like I have not tasted something this sweet in my life.

-looks around-

I feel more at home here than I have anywhere else in the world. Not that I have felt at home anywhere yet. I just hope that I can die a good death helping one of my brothers or sisters out. I hope to be a good member of the riders. Hopefully I will be able to help out the guild with my abilities.

-realizes that she is babbling to the group, flushes, as much as she can flush, and buries her face in her drink-

Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:43 pm
Stablehand

So it is my brothers and sisters that we are at war. Our guerilla tactics seem to be paying off. The war is indeed devastating our lands. I think that there shall be no peace until the heathens are pushed out of our borders, and their faith stamped out.

-turns to the bar to grab her full cup, and takes a drink-

I remember a time when there were other gods, and in that time, there was chaos as well. The war rages not only amongst the gods, but rather amongst us as well. Each one of us is a warrior at heart, and no matter how much we would ever yearn for peace it would never suit us.

-realizes that she is preaching-

Ack, I will leave now, but I shall return, I think that I shall go and pick a fight with someone, I feel the need to get out some of this rage...

Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:10 pm
Stablehand

Richard crept rather quietly into the room. He had no reason to make grand entrances at this point in his life. Often he was more content to listen and observe the conversations in a room before he made his presence known.

There was little indication of his presence as he took a seat. He had allready made his plan for his entrance. He would first seek ale, and then seek the warmth of the fire's glow. And lastly he would enjoy the warm company of his guildmates.

Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:16 pm