It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Cost of Freedom 
Stablehand

Post The Cost of Freedom
The rift opened up and he stepped out to solid ground. In front of his stood the gates that barred any outsider from the tower within. He made his way to them as did the gate keeper once he saw him coming. With a sigh the gate keeper opened up the gates. Smiling to himself Maer walked by the man and patted him on his balding head.

There's a good lad now. I'm glad you've learned your lesson.

He kept walking up towards the tower and could feel the servant's eyes on him. He turned his head quickly towards him to find him scowling and red in the face. He laughed then, knowing that the little man was angry.

The huge oaken doors were shut as he stood in front of them. With an open hand he pounded on them loud enough for anyone to hear. Of course those that were in residence would already know that he stood there at the doors. He just punded on them to see what reaction he would get from the people within. Sure as sure, Oriana opened one of the doors. She stared at him with malice in her eyes.

Come now, there be no need for stares that could kill. After all I have done for you. Are you not happy with the way things have turned out for you and yours. A big happy family and all that comes with it.

At that her eyes seemed to soften towards him.

There we go. That's better. Now for the task at hand. Is your father still around. I would truly like to have a word with him.

He stood there watching the woman. A simple smile played on his face as she studied him.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:44 am
Peasant

Oriana had been bent over a long piece of fabric, needle in hand working on the hem of what was to be new drapery for the windows in the main hall of the tower, since Guidion had been so kind as to point out how cold and dark the tower had become, she took it upon herself as the lady of the house to try and make the tower what it had once been. A warm inviting place for all who entered, and to of course make it once again a warm comfortable home for her husband and her children. Tierney would need that warmth when she was allowed to come home from the Isle on holiday and Gabriel could not be raised in such gloom. She had almost been smacked in the head by the orb zipping straight for her, something she had not been expecting and she jabbed herself with the needles point. Cursing quietly she put her thumb in her mouth while she left her sewing intent on breaking the hands of whoever was now pounding on her door.

Jerking the heavy oak door open the words that had been ready to fall from her lips were swallowed heavily when she saw who was standing on the top step. Her violet eyes narrowed and the tiny hairs on the back of her neck started to rise, that was until Maer reminded her just how much she had to be thankful for, she would let him believe that the sudden change in her was because she owed him, the truth however had nothing to do with him, she relaxed simply because she thought of Guidion, Tierney and Gabriel. They were far from being the perfect little family but they were happy. Sighing she opened the door a little wider and waved the man inside.

You may have done more than most would for us Maer but you have also have much to explain, we will get to that later though. I am curious to know what it is you want with my father, he is here but will be leaving for his home shortly.

There was no way in hell she was going to fetch her father without first knowing if what Maer wanted from him was going to be nothing more than a waste of time. If there was one thing she had drilled into her head was that Azrael abhorred having his time wasted and she was in no mood for the backlash that would come should Maers need for him be just that.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:01 am
Stablehand

Kain could feel Ana, she was back on this plane again, but just as soon as he could pinpoint where she was, he lost track of her again. He didn't know what to do. He needed guidance, he was greatly fatigued from his use of the potion of haste, and the loss of Anarane. He needed help, then he felt the pendant at his neck. The charm, Oriana, yes she might be able to help. He whispered to the horse, Oriana, my friend, take me to her. You know the way. The horse nodded and neighed slightly and took off in the direction of the mage's tower. Kain was nearly passed out, only awake enough to hold on, and not fall off of Megilturo, his steed.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:19 am
Stablehand

She was a sly one at that. Trying to pry out any information she could. It was just like a woman he thought, to want to know everything.

Well, my reasons are my own. But I will tell you that it involves a certain young lady that is indeed in need of his help.

He stopped deat in his tracks as he felt for the other people in the tower. He knew he would have to face Guidion at some point in this little visit, He only just hoped that it would be after he had a talk with Azrael. He was sure the topic would influence him to delay his vengance against him.

And where is your husband if I may ask? Is he doing well? I do hope that no harm was caused to him because of the reawakening. I guess I should have told you that you calling his name would bring back his memories. I thought it better for you to find out however.

He continued walking with her a bit before they stopped at the fireplace in the main hall. With a snap of his fingers the flames consumed the wood. The fire played in his eyes a bit, almost hipnotizing him. There he tried to find where Anarane was but only found himself eing blocked by some strange fog. Turning back to Oriana he smiled at her again.

Yes well, you see, I really do need to speak with your father dear. It is of an urgent matter.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:24 am
Peasant

She watched him and made no attempt to hide the fact that she was watching him. Slowly she grinned when she saw how he had stopped in mid stride once he was inside the tower, he must have just remembered exactly where he was and who else was living within the tower. Sure enough Maer questioned her about Guidion and her answer came quick in an almost hissed tone.

My husband is busy tending to a very important matter. Not that it is any of your business but he is with his daughter spending time with her before she leaves tonight.

There was no more she could do then, not until they all knew exactly what they were dealing with, Maer would not be wasting Azraels time if Oriana was correct in her assumptions, Never was dark, dangerous, and powerful, if he were behind Anaranes troubles, then Azrael truly was needed. She would not need to send for the Archmage, he would know and he would answer when he was ready and not before.

My father will come to you when he is ready, he is aware of what is happening, understand that he is already in the process of investigating and that he will make no moves until he is entirely sure of what is to be done.... and now that you know that.... you can tell me why the hell my husband seems to think that you once loved me!

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:47 am
Stablehand

tell me why the hell my husband seems to think that you once loved me!

Shocked that she would know something like that he stared back into the fire. The memories of that long ago place, that lost time came back to him. He did love her then. And loved her still. A love that had gone beyond the traces of space and time. It had been hard for him to let her go when he found out about her and Guidion. It had been a long lonly road that he had traveled, only to find himself entertwined again in their lives.

Ahh, yes. Well it was a long time ago you see. Before my dear brother had entered your life. I had crossed the path of the red wyvern and that's when I saw you. But then, that story is for another time to tell. Maybe I will tell the tale when we are alone and have less pressing matters to attend.

He turned to her and looked in her eyes. He could get lost in those eyes forever if only he had the time.

I feel someone nearing. Kain is it. He comes.

He looked towards the door. He must have found the opening he had left behind for him. The silvery surface broke as man and horse crossed the threshhold.

Here now. He might not be too happy seeing me. Do try to stay his hand before he does something we will all regret.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:13 am
Stablehand

The horse was moving at a rapid pace, and a portal opened just before them, Kain barely noticed it, pointing at it there my friend, take me there. The horse slowed just before it entered the portal. As soon as they were through the silvery portal it closed and they were in front of Oriana's tower. Kain's grip on the reigns loosened, and as if the horse knew what was going to happen, it quickly dropped to it's knees as the bladesinger fell from it's back, and onto the ground. Nearly unconcious, the man stumbled to try to get up, he was a complete mess. The horse neighed and the look in it's eye showed that it was worried about it's master. Megiltura was a good steed, and completely loyal to Kain, Oriana had seen him many times.

Kain managed to get to his feet, through blurred vision and tear filled eyes he saw two figures, one he recognized, and another which he had no clue who was. Oriana.. help.. was all he could say. The man was broken, and shattered, thinking he had lost her.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:27 am
Peasant

So it seemed that the tower was to become the central point where anyone who had been called upon for aid or who was in need of aid themselves would gather. She tried to keep herself from becoming irritated at Maers answer to her demand, even more so she tried not to lose her temper because her daughter was going to be leaving home and the time that could have been spent with her, was now to be filled by a home full of people. She felt guilty for the way she was thinking. Kain was her friend, Anarane her kin perhaps not by blood but she was Guidions sister and Tierneys Aunt, if she were in trouble then of course Oriana would put her own needs and wants aside until everyone was safe and happy again.

She watched and listened for Kain, and when she saw him she rushed to his side and knelt down touching his face gently. She smiled while hiding her concern for the warrior.

Hammered shit again Kain? Really when will you learn that rest and sleep are good things?

She helped him to his feet, let him lean on her as she guided him completely inside the tower to a chair near the hearth. She winced when he all but fell into the chair, his exhaustion was clear to see, and the misery he was in felt just as easily. Kneeling down at his feet she touched his face again.

Kain... do not worry yourself so, you are among friends who will do anything they can for you, for Ana, you need not ask for help because help is already here. My father and Maer will do what they can as will I and Guidion... do not worry any longer this day my champion, just rest now please, you must if you are to be strong for what may come.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:34 am
Stablehand

Hammered shit again Kain? Really when will you learn that rest and sleep are good things? Had he thought about it he would have realized that he found himself in this state often. Many times it was by his own doing, over-exherting himself with the little magic he knew. This time it was the potion he inbibed and the loss of his love that fatigued him both body and spirit. Kain waved his hand dismissing the horse, but it didn't go far this time, however stayed around the tower. It was obviously concerned about Kain.

Oriana helped him into the tower, and over to a chair, which the warrior fell into with little trouble. His body was shaking, he was miserable, his eyes had a clouded, jaded look to them. She kneeled before him, touching his cheek, Kain... do not worry yourself so.. you must if you are to be strong for what may come. He knew the truth in the words, he did need rest, but at the same time he couldn't. How could he sleep knowing she might be in danger, not knowing where she was, he was so jaded however he didn't feel anything in the link the two of them had together. Nothing, just emptiness, like before all this happened, before everything went to hell. He cursed himself silently for all of it, for opening himself up, for betraying Guidion, for falling in love, for having a heart. He didn't want it anymore, it was all too much.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:51 am
Stablehand

He saw the rider slumped in the chair. He waited for the woman to start doing something to soothe him other than words though nothing came. He sighed and walked over to the man. He looked him over once then looked over at Oriana.

I'll take care of him dear. It seems that you might have other matters that might need your attention at the moment.

He looked up at the stairs and wondered if she had caught his drift. Guidion was in the tower now. He felt him close. Closer than he would have liked to be at that moment. Unfortunately there were more important things at hand. Kneeling beside the rider he took hold of his hand. Feeling for pulse, Maer could just faintly feel the blood flowing through the man's veins.

Stupid man. Taking potions and such is not good you know. Ahh.

He let his life force flow into Kain. Healing what needed healing. ther ewas only so much he could do to help him. He would need to rest and recover his strength. For that he knew no cure. With his hands over the man's eyes he closed them as if closing the eyes of a dead man.

There, he should sleep like the dead I would imagine. He will be alright in a few hours once he regains what little strength he can.

He saw Oriana at the foot of the stairs looking back at him for a moment then taking two steps at a time to the top.

Will we ever learn...

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:25 am
Peasant

She didnt need Maer to tell her that Guidion had returned from his time with Tierney, though she did appreciate his willingness to tend to Kain so that she could tend to her husband. Oriana was not a stupid woman and held no false hope that Guidion would be alright having Kain in his home, she might have been the lady of the tower but Guidion was the lord and true master and because of this she thought it best that she go to him right away and tell him just why Kain was there. Taking a deep breath she stood at his door and knocked then turned the knob entering the room and closing the door softly behind her. She could see that he was not pleased at all, that he already knew of Kains arrival, which meant he knew that Maer was present in the tower as well, having the two men there made for a hostile envoirment and the potential for violence was great but she knew that Guidion never truly resorted to such measures unless provoked and she sure as hell was not going to give him any reason to draw anyones blood. She also saw the faint gleam of pride in his eyes peeking out from behind his anger, and she couldnt help but smile. His time with Tierney had gone well as she knew it would. Crossing the short distance that seperated them she planted a kiss on his cheek and snaked her arms around his neck.

I'm glad your back love. There is much I must tell you and I do not want to keep anything from you now that you are here. First let me tell you that there is trouble Guidion, with your sister, and because of this, Kain and your brother have come to the tower. Maer is seeing to Kain so that I can be here with you where I belong. I thought you should know right away, I know you are angry Guidion, but for your sisters sake put your anger aside until we know she is safe, then you can confront anyone you wish... I do not want Tierney to lose an aunt she has yet to meet love, will you help my father if needed? Maer has come here to ask him for his help in this matter....

Not quite sure what his reaction was going to be she brushed her thumb against the side of his cheek...

Your time with Tierney went well did it not? She loves you so much I know she would not want to leave you, but I also know she is as wise as her father and does what she must because it is the right thing to do...

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:38 am
Stablehand

Yes, she is wiser beyond her years. She should make a good student for your father if his patience holds up long enough.

He sighed and decided to give in to the events at hand rather than to cause more hate and discontent. There would be time enough in the future to deal with the past happenings in his life. For that he made sure to leave time enough.

Of course I take it my brother had some hand in this. Is there no one that is safe from the man's prying. Sometimes I wish..

The words were cut short as he looked at her. A small grunt came out as it to take those words back. There was nothing to do now but to await the answer from Azrael. Till then he would see how the two visitors were doing. No doubt that his brother was thinking of the consequenses that were to befall him as soon as he reached him.

All in due time Oriana. All in due time. I will do whatever your father asks of me of course. I just hope for my sister's sake he is not too late.

He took her be the hand and walked out of the room. At the head of the stairs he looked down at the two men in the great hall. One seemed to sleep on a chair near the fire. The other paced in front of it as if contemplating what was to come. Guidion smiled within himself. Having his brother on edge atleast bought some sort of compensation from the man.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:53 am
Stablehand

Azrael really had no idea what to expect when he first came to the keep. His first thought was there would be yet another philosophical argument of love and the pros and cons within. These arguments would be brief and he would depart promptly for his own tower leaving Oriana to mull in her own misery.

He never imagined he would end up spending the night with his now young granddaughter and preparing to depart with her as his apprentice. Guidion had finally regained his memory, so he was to spend some time with his daughter before they left. This left Azrael with nothing to do except twidle his thumbs. Being a person who hated wasted time, he took it upon himself to use this time to forage for some herbs around the keep that were not commonly found on the Isle of Winds.

He made his way through the wild brush around the keep in a casual pace, every now and then plucking a piece of vegitation and placing it in one of his many pouches. This area in particular seemed to favor an abundance of fhilweed, an important ingrediant in navigation spells. He was thoroughly enjoying his walk until some thoughts began to enter his mind. They were from Oriana.

Most were just fleeting images and spoken words, but enough for him to get a picture of what she was trying to say. This was her way of asking him for something without actually asking for it. It was sly, he would give her that much, and much more intelligent than to bother him with a sit down.

He sighed to himself, it seemed once again another helpless soul needed his aid. The old adage of "give them an inch they take a foot" still held true. If he breeched his seclusion for a moment, it seemed the entire world had reason to speak to him about some subject or another.

Shaking his head he made his way back into then keep. When he neared the room where all were gathered, he stopped a moment outside the room to hear the last minutes of the conversation. When silence fell on the room, he made his entrance. He always enjoyed this part. With hood drawn, shadowing his mirrored eyes and hands folded his the sleeves of his robe, he entered the room with a light chuckle on his lips.

You see Oriana, our fmaily isn't so bad after all is it. Guiidon's family makes us seem like a cozy country farm family who says their prayers together every night before supper.

I hope I am not intruding, I do believe Maer wanted to speak to me about a matter involving his and Guidion's sister. Obviously it is something important, for their petty conjuror magic couldn't solve the problem.

Well Maer, what it is? Please do not bore me with formallities and social etiquette. Just make sure after you make your request you can answer these two questions.

Why am I the one you seek for assistance...and why should I care.

We shall never rest[/glow]

[/center]

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:54 pm
Stablehand

Maer looked up from tending Kain. He stood gawking at the mage as he made his entrance. Indeed he had always held the highest respect for Azrael since the first time he had seen him so long ago. Not wanting to squander his chance for an audience with him he stood and bowed his head to the man.

My request is simple. Our sister is in the lands of Taivain under protection of the one named Neve. She carries within her a foul spirit that takes over her being once the moon rises. Neve took it upon himself to bind both my sister and this foul being to him. I tried to help her but to my dissapointment Neve had her taken back to his lands. It seems that there is a link there that I did not see. There is also a matter of the babe she carries. I am worried that this other inhabitant of her body will try to take over the body of the babe. My request to you is for your aid in getting my sister back from this Neve and separate the being from her body. You have the knowledge to do this. Also you have the influence that might get her back without a struggle.

He stood there with hands clasped and sweaty. He knew that without Azrael's help he was going to have a good time trying to accomplish all of this by himself.

As for why you should care. Well just think of your own grandaughter. Think of the many roads she has traveled. You see her now as the child she should have been since the begining.

He produced the black orb from his robe and sent it to Azrael.

There is the dark and twisted element that inhibited the soul of the child. Removed at the crossing of the gates where I could separate the two. I guess you should not care either way what happens to someone not of your line. But I ask you for the child that has yet to be born. It will have a rougher road to travel if things are left as they are now.

He dropped his head to face the floor. There was nothing else for him to say. If the mage decided not to help he would have to figure out how to reclaim his sister. Perhaps Guidion and Oriana would help. Doubtless they would, he had no doubt about that. But what were they to this Neve if the man could send one of his minions to a rift in time and space to get at his sister.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:58 am
Stablehand

He stood at the top of the stairway with Oriana at his side. He saw how his brother humbled himself in front of Azrael. He shook his head in disgust. How someone would lower themselves like that to get aid from someone like him was beyond him. His sister's thought entered his mind like a warm wind running through leaves.

Guidion, my brother and guardian, I know not where you are, what plane on which you travel or if you can hear me, but I need your help. I can not find the man that I love. I barely feel his life force. I can not maintain control of my magicks for much longer. I feel the burning growing inside. I sit now in my garden. The roses that are growing there are wilting and dying as I speak to you. I just need to know he is safe. Before the insanity overtakes me again. Guidion please help me.

Walked down with Oriana at his side. He grabbed Maer and shook him from the daze he seemed to be in at the moment. Looking down at Kain sleeping on the chair he let out a sigh.

Oriana, stay here and look after Kain. He will need a familiar face when he wakes. Let him know that I am taking care of the circumstance my sister seems to find herself in.

Still holding on to Maer's robes he pulled him over to the door.

You don't need to be asking the likes of him for any aid when you have not come to me first.

He shoved the man forward into an opening in the wall where he disapeared. Turning to Azrael he simply smiled at his father in law.

You almost make me regret sending my daughter with you old man. I fear she will not know what comassion is on her return. I fear she will forget to love as you have. I thank you for hearing my brother's plea, but I will handle this situation.

He turned towards the opening. Before he entered he turned once more with an open palm towards Azrael. The dark orb winked out of the mage's hand to find itself in Guidion's own.

I believe this belongs to me.

He stepped through the rift before it shut behind him. On the other side he saw Maer standing near a tree in a garden of sorts. He took the orb and tucked it into one of the secret folds of his robe. He looked around and saw that indeed they were in a garden. A garden that they also shared with their sister.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:25 am
Stablehand

Anarane's eyes had been closed as she rested. So many times as of late her magicks had soared out of control. Ana was exhausted. She had nearly fallen asleep where she sat, when she felt something. Someone was in the garden with her. Her eyes came open and she looked around.

Kain? Kain is that you?

Ana looked around again, not seeing him. The feel was not that of Kain, but she knew the feel. She heightened her senses. There was more then one person here. Both were familiar to her. She saw a slight movement by one of the trees at the edge of the garden.

Who is there? Show yourselves.

As she watched the two robed figures, her hand went to her dagger. She was not sure that she had enough energy to cast a fireball, but she readied herself to do so. She got to her feet taking a defensive stance.

I said show yourselves!

Death in Effect

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:06 am
Stablehand

He shoved Maer forward out of the shadows the tree had cast.

You forget yourself brother, I have sheltered in these lands before and know the layout of the lands enough to get me here. There is still honor left in these lands you know. Besides, you still owe me.

Maer stumbled to a halt still grumbling under his breath. There was no retort to what was being said. There was only compliance to what the younger sibling said to the older. In the broach stood their sister, hands raised as to cast. Guidion let out a chuckle at the spectacle.

Stay your hand sister. We mean you no harm.

He looked at Maer and rephrased his comment.

I mean I mean you no harm.

Those words earned him a harsh stare from Maer. Although he meant to do good by people the man usually ended up blundering everything he touched. Though sometimes, out of sheer luck he did manage to wither out a victory out of the darkness. His sister ran towards them as soon as she regained her thoughts. Though she ran for Guidion first he simply put out a hand to stop her.

First Ana, lets take care of this situation you find yourself in. Then we will have time to celebrate all that you want. Now if you would please, I need an audience with this lord Neve I keep heating about.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:38 am
Stablehand

One of them stumbled forward pushed by the other. She recognized Maer when he come into the light. She heard the other call him brother. She knew that voice. But it couldn't be who she thought it was. She had been told that Guidion was dead. How could this be her beloved brother. She stumbled back a couple steps and ended up sitting on the bench. Staring in disbelief. Did she want her brother so much that her mind was playing tricks on her.

Gui... Guidion? I... was told you were dead. Tell me this isn't a dream. It is really you?

Ana couldn't take her eyes off of him. She got up standing there for a few minutes. She was confused. Her eyes moved to Maer and grew hard. She spat her words at Maer.

You knew Guidion was alive and you didn't tell me. Again, Maer, your own agenda. As alway thinking of yourself again. I can see that Guidion is not happy with you and has said you owe him. So you were going to use me to get back in his good graces. Is that it? If you were not family, I... I...

Ana stopped herself from saying more. She looked at Guidion and her face soften. She noticed that the shadow where growing longer. She took a step forward, then she ran toward Guidion. She was almost to him when he raised his hand to stop her. Anarane looked at him as he spoke.

First Ana, lets take care of this situation you find yourself in. Then we will have time to celebrate all that you want. Now if you would please, I need an audience with this lord Neve I keep hearing about.

The color drained from her face and her hand went to the pendant around her neck. He wanted to talk to Lord Solis. The Patriarch of House Risetti. She just stared at him for a few minutes.

Guidion, he is a dangerous man. At least to strangers. I am sure he will ask why. I don't have much time left Brother, It will be dark soon. I will call someone to take a message to him. But I must tell you Guidion, he is not happy with what Maer wanted to do today.

She called for Jessel. She came to the edge of the garden and stopped. She saw the two men and looked at Anarane. Yes m'Lady. She motioned for Jessel to come into the garden. I need a note scribed and sent to Lord Solis. Please up in the note that Lord Guidion Tengwargul, brother of Anarane, wishes and audience with him. Put my seal on it and have it delivered immediately. Have the messenger wait at the gate for his reply.

The message will be dispatch right away Guidion. Guidion.... I... Night comes soon Brother and there will be a change in me. I....

She lowered her head hiding her eyes from Guidion. She needed to get the message sent before Farene took control. She did not want her brother to see her like that. She didn't know what his reaction was going to be once he meets Farene.

Death in Effect

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:01 am
Stablehand

Maer waved his hand in front of the warrior, and Kain passed out cold. He wasn't at peace even in his dreams... his nightmares. Memories of Ana taken away from him, and flashes of something more sinister, wicked. Something to do with Never Solis, and Anarane, behind closed doors. Pleasure, ecstacy, excitement, he couldn't see or feel what was happening. It tore him apart, something about it all was so wrong, so very wrong. Images flashing through his mind, while his body rested. Then a dark world, empty and black, sounds could be heard. Someone calling to him, someone close.

Kain, my love, I am well and back in the city.

Love, I am fine. I am at my manor. Please do not worry. We are safe.

Kain, my love, where are you?

It was her, Anarane, his elfess. She was calling out to him, why couldn't he wake up? Was it a spell? No he had to get up, he had to do something. Her last message showed worry and concern, damn him if he wouldn't be there if she lost control again. Snapping to the warrior lurched out of the chair, expecting to be in her manor and rush to her, but he found himself in Oriana's tower. Azrael in the doorway, and Oriana by the stairs, he looked about bewildered, he had gotten some rest but it was not hard to tell he was still deprived, and fatigued.

I need to get to her, Kain said to Oriana, he was obviously worried about her, and he had not yet known he could reach out with his mind and touch her, and so bewildered and confused as he was at that moment he hadn't even thought about the connection he had with her, his sould was bound to the elfess.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:56 am
Peasant

Inwardly the mage groaned and sighed forlornly outwardly. Guidion had no idea what he had done by refusing the Archmage, Azrael was not one to offer even his ear for listening most times, the fact that had even come to hear Maer out was somewhat of a miracle. She couldnt help wincing even as Guidion and his brother entered the rift dissapearing. How many times had Guidion gone off for one reason or another not returning until months later? Too many, and now that the possability of it happening again was there, she felt sick to her stomach. She couldnt think that way though, Guidion and Maer were needed by their sister, by her unborn babe, if he hadnt gone, she knew he would never have been able to get over the guilt and she would never have been able to live with herself if she had begged him to stay. The fear that he might not return at all was there, but it was a fear she would fight with the faith she held in her husband. She would do what he asked of her, she would keep herself busy tending to Kain. But first there was the small matter of her father to see to. Kneeling next to Kain she looked him over while talking to her father, it was an easy way to avoid the piercing gaze of those damned mirrored eyes...

Guidion can be stubborn, you know this... let him handle this his own way then... I am asking you as your daughter.... if it becomes too much will you please intervene?

She found herself looking into eyes of pristine blue and jumped just a little, she hadnt expected Kain to wake so soon and the words that came from him tore at her, she knew all to well what it was to love someone so much, to need to help them and not be able to do anything. Reaching up she smoothed back a lock of his blonde hair.

You cant get to anyone right now Kain... not unless you want to make your lady love a widow before she is even a wife. You are in no condition for much of anything my friend. Guidion and Maer have gone to her Kain, let them have their little reunion and when you are well, when you are needed I will not try and stop you from leaving. For now though, you are bound to this tower.... do not be angry with me Kain, it is for the best.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:02 am
Stablehand

He was confused, how had he got here in the first place? Maer? Who in the hell was Maer? Guidion was with Ana? Why couldn't he be with Ana. Why couldn't he be with the woman he was soon to be wed? So many questions, and here Oriana wouldn't let him leave the tower. ...you are bound to this tower.... do not be angry with me Kain, it is for the best. He couldn't beleive his ears? What was she saying, that she was refusing him see his fiancé? He couldn't stand for that, he was about to start ranting, then he looked at her. Oriana... he couldn't be angry with her... never, even now he wanted to, but he couldn't. He looked into her violet eyes, and he couldn't help but calm down. Kain could only recall one time he had ever gotten angry with Oriana, and that is when he found her drunk, in peasant's clothing, wallowing away in her own self pity. No he couldn't be mad with her now, she was only trying to help.

He began to think... if only things were different, no, he wouldn't let his mind wonder, things were set as they were meant to be now. No matter how much Kain loved Oriana, she was not who he was meant to be with, the thought had only come up briefly, and was soon replaced by more thoughts of worry for Anarane. He sighed... what was he to do? He noticed Azrael again, the man always seemed to appear when Kain was at his weakest state. He must have took Kain for some pathetic creature, thrown around to easily by his own emotion. His shoulders sunk as he made his way back to the chair, not even bothering to reply to Oriana, he sat worrying, scarred, and beside himself.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:46 am
Peasant

No matter how brief it might have been, she had seen that flash of anger in her champions eyes and had been wounded more deeply than any damage done by a blade. Did Kain think she was detaining him because she was cruel and did not want him to find his lady? She hoped he knew her better than that. Her reasons for keeping him were simple enough and logical, at least she believed they were. Kain, so new to true love and emotions he had never had to see to before left him vulnerable, like a babe lost in the woods, maybe she had no right to do what she was doing, but for Anaranes sake, for Maers sake and above all else for Guidions sake, she could not let Kain leave the tower, he could be used against her family, his emotions could get the better of him and that was something Neve or anyone else who wished to see Ana remain as she was could use as a weapon. She could not risk any harm coming to her husband and his siblings, or to Kain himself who would never be able to live with himself should he get in the way and something went wrong. Kain knew nothing of the babe Ana carried, and Oriana felt as the childs Aunt, as Guidions wife and as Kains friend, she had to protect them in her own way. Keeping Kain from racing off, was her way.

Now is not your time Kain, you will know when it is your time, but not yet. Please my beloved, trust in me just this once to know what is best for you, for your love, for my family...

Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:03 am
Stablehand

He was jaded, losing himself deep within his own thoughts, reflecting back on how things are now, and had turned out. How things could have been if things had been done differently. Now is not your time Kain... for your love, for my family... He felt helpless, powerless. There was nothing he could do, nothing to fix what he had done to betray one of his closest friends, nothing he could do to rid Anarane of Farene, nothing he could do to stop Solis from corrupting his love, nothing he was able to do when she was taken from his arms, nothing he could do now. Nothing, nothing...

He was shaking, fear, hatred, anger, hope, helplessness. Angry at himself, hating himself, and his emotion. Things were so much easier before... before he and Oriana kissed. Life was much more simple, free of pain, is this what it was like to live? To hurt, to pain, to suffer? Is this what it was like to have emotion, to be alive? He wished the gods would take it back, he wished he didn't have a heart. If he didn't have a heart, he would still have a friend in Guidion, he wouldn't be in pain. He wouldn't be suffering. Tears came forth and still he said nothing, not even a sound emerged from him. Just tears.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:19 am
Peasant

Closing herself off from her father, from everyone who had the power to reach into her being and hear her thoughts, feel her emotion access to her very essence at that moment was granted to one person and one person alone. Kains pain, his doubt, his fear bore into her harder than any piercing stare from her father, he was losing control of himself and she was there to feel it all. She was partly responsible for what he was going through, but she would not take blame, there was no blame to be had, Kain had never really known life, not since he was young and that was so long ago that he had not been able to remember what it was like, she had reminded him had shown him life, just as he had shown her many things. No she was not going to bear the burden of his pain but rather she would do what she could to ease that pain, to make him see what she had been telling him for so long..... their eyes locked then, she held him in her gaze and would not let him look away, gently she reached out touching his mind keeping her thoughts from any others...

Life is not all rainbows and romance beloved, you MUST endure the bad in order to appreciate and enjoy the good, for all the bad that is in the world, goodness always follows. Do not lose hope Kain. Be angry, feel defeated and helpless but do not linger on those feelings for too long, if you do they will consume you and you will not be able to help when the time comes. There are reasons even I cannot explain why you need to be here right now. I know you want nothing more than to go to her, but right now you need to be here, trust in Anas brothers to take care of her for now, you are needed Kain, she needs you, but she needs them more right now. Do not close in on yourself beloved, you are strong and you are wise..... it is your strength and wisdom that will make you see the truth of what I say. You are not alone Kain, I am here beside you in what you think to be your darkest hour as I have promised to be.... as Guidion asked me to be....

Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:31 am
Stablehand

Never Solis stirred, having been floating, in contact with an ancient, very black soul. They had been speaking, and the Patriarch had been conviencing. His eyes flashed open, looking specifically at the black candle which had led him through his wanderings on the other plane. It was burnt out, used up. Thankfully, what needed to be accomplished was accomplished.

It was a servant. This would not do at all, but there were two of them... Never spoke, [shadow=red]BLIND[/shadow]. A word of power. The servent fell to his knees. I cannot see! No master, please, no. I am sorry, I did not mean to interrupt you!

And now you shall learn. Never replied calmly. Tell me the message, and have your compatriot take you to the pens where you shall brush every horse in the stable. That should take you a month, after which time you shall regain your sight.

The servent didn't argue, thanking whatever gods he prayed to that his sight would at least return. Things had been getting lax lately, and he understood that he was to be made an example. The Patriarch was Just, he would still work, and he was not permanitely blinded. He answered.

Ye-es mmy Patriarch. A messanger from the Lady Anarane, she wishes an audience for her brother, a Guidion Tengwargul, who calls himself a lord.

Another issue? This was becoming tiresome quickly. His fledgling was losing her good graces slowly, yet very surely. Tell whoever she left he may have an Audience, at House Risetti. Do remind them of their manners, we do not need any uncivil individuals on my grounds. Those type of individuals tend to disappear.

I will tell the messanger that they will be curt and respectful, Lord Patriarch The servent reached up for his fellow, he helped him to his feet and led him away. Never looked back at the used candle. Aye, he would be having a conversation with his fledgling very soon...

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:43 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next