It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Maxim General Discussion. (OOC) 
User no longer exists

Post Maxim General Discussion. (OOC)
This thread is for discussion purposes only. Please try to keep it civil. Do not bring your personal grudges here, or waste up posting space with content that is better suited to be dealt with in private.

Feel free to comment on each others posts.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:53 pm
User no longer exists

The new forum rules and the way its going to be.

Quite simply - I am tired of all the whining and bitching in Maxim. You have taken threads which had specific purposes and turned them into your own personal grounds to bitch and moan in. That is no longer going to be acceptable. OOC threads have specific purposes. They will be used as such. This new "General Discussion" thread is for you all to put your comments in. Again, try to keep it civil - if you want to gripe about a certain person do it in private.

The new three strike rule will be in effect. If it becomes obvious to my staff members that you are not wanting to play or partcipate in Maxim, then we will gladly remove your ability to do so. This game is for those who want to play here only - its not a privledge.

The game will be reopening shortly. I hope a half day of downtime has given some of you a new perspective on this game. When it reaches the point that I feel this game is no longer surving its purpose, I have no problem at all removing it. Keep that in mind the next time you want to complain about the way the game is going, or you want to protest something you do not like. Life isn't fair - neither is Maxim.

With that in mind, there will be a Maxim event starting as soon as I am able to sit down and actuallly write some of the storyline out. The forum is now open.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:57 pm
Stablehand

Sooo...posting in part because Demmy told me to. *smiles*

On a more relevant note, I'm glad the forum has been re-opened. Here's to a hopefully less whiny Maxim! *crosses fingers but thinks better of holding her breath*

Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:53 pm
Stablehand

Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:49 pm
Stablehand

OAFS

Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:55 pm
Average

::kicks himself for being stupid in his war thread::

Indeed the prospect of loosing maxim made me open my eyes to how childish i had been. Embarassing really.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:02 pm
Grand Arbiter of NPAC

Post strategy
i didn't read any of the last thread.

but i figured that i would comment on isonia's and darden's current strategy.

i will do what maverick has so often done in guilds. posted, quite literally and truthfully, why the other faiths are failing at winning.

i was baffled, today, when tara sent me an icq telling me that oafs and tiavain want a 2 week pact for foret not to hit them, and for them not to hit foret.

strategically, this course of action makes no sense.

yes, tga and saints could hit the whole of isonia. just like tga hit isonia before. and we'd do some pretty good damage.

but consider the alternative.

silence, foundation and goh beat darden down. then, 2 weeks from now, when they're done, all of foret turns it's attention

to you.

we could even include darden in the stats, and just call it a straight out faith war.

and we'd win the first couple of weeks. it would take you four to five months to take us all down.

but

but if you struck now, isonia, you would have a chance at taking us down in maybe a month.

why?

because silence and foundation will not have reaped the rewards of darden land.

because if you get first strike advantage, you have better morale.

because you could coordinate with the remains of darden that have yet to be decimated.

but, you don't.

instead, foret will do as it has always done: divide and conquer. we will divvy you up and slaughter you at will. i'm not saying this arrogantly. and this isn't because we are arrogant. but because we can. because we coordinate. we can have a faith chat any night of the week, on a moment's notice, because we're always online.

i love being in foret because we can determine the course of what foret will do in a matter of minutes.

not because we use "magic" to beat you, or hordes of scum support, or sending kingdoms from guild to guild, dropping cash, or what have you.

i've NEVER asked for scum support from ANY of my faithmates. not even a scout. maybe they haven't noticed it. but never, EVER have i done it. i'll use my own kingdom, or get one of my members to do it. i consider this game a personal challenge, and a challenge of my members' abilities.

so, there you have it.

i've wanted darden and isonia to hit us for a long time now.

i told kat and cru during peace discussions "you have no idea how much i wanted you to take us down."

because the game is more fun when you get to hit up and still win. or when you're dragging someone down in a fair fight.

because this is what i recruited my members in tga for.

so cheers. i'm outta here.

WeeC | WTFPWND | NX | NPAC
officially endorses MoP's candidacy

Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:46 am
Pseudo-Voodoo Sidhe

First of all thank you Souldemon for returning the forum to us (though I am still not sure that we deserve the game for what has occured recently). You have no idea how much you scared me by taking away the forum.

All of us have to take responsiblity for how bad things got lately in here. All of us must look at ourselves, at our guilds, at our faiths and see the flaws. None of us can play the martyr here, all of us played some part in bringing Maxim low.

I hope that we see people role-playing more, and not just in the normal tavern threads. Let's get some more quest threads up and running, ones that are open to all to foster better in-character relationships between one another.

And once again, thank you SD.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:31 am
Stablehand

At the risk of being labeled arrogant as well, since Bundes mentioned this deal I approached the top two Isonian guilds with last night, I wanted to explain my own intentions of doing so.

In looking at the ranks now I see 2 Darden guilds not involved in the current Foret-Darden war. SO and SoD. Whether or not they decide to involve themselves is to be seen. Thus far both guilds have remained neutral in all respects.

I see Oafs and Tiavain in decent position to try and jump into the war if they were so inclined to assist the Dardens, but truly it would first be to their detriment, though with the number advantage sooner or later the pressure would crack even the most staunch of Kings. Or it could go the other way and the Isonians top is ravaged, then our top grows and starts their build cycles while the mid to lower range kingdoms keep the pressure on enough to keep the Droben guerilla raiders and the sorcery kingdoms from getting within range to do heavy damage to the top ranks.

Either way it would be a mess for everyone all over again.

And so. I was talking to a few Darden players and they were telling me part of the problem was the Foret guilds have not been givin a hefty challenge because no guild(s) have been able to build up enough in peace without being pummelled once they broke into the top ranks. We do want this challenge please believe that. We don't need to "land grab" our top end has land as far as Silence is concerned, Foundation's remaining top kingdom(s) definitely have open land after so much sorcery lately. The mid-lower end kingdoms can still attack unguildeds for good land occassionally enough.

If one of the faiths is going to be able to build up quicker than the other and bring a good hard-hitting war to the Foret top, it's going to be Oafs and Tiavain. I offered to do what I could to secure them peace for a time period determined (Nagash said 2 weeks). TGA agreed. Foundation agrees in that they are for all intents and purposes part of Silence for when this war is over most of Foundation's members will be joining Silence. Tiavain I've not heard accepts or declines as yet. During this time we will not take offensive actions against eachother, whatever other wars come for the guilds involved in this have no bearing on this deal. 2 weeks from now, Oafs and Tiavain would be far more ready to engage the Foret top guilds. Depending on how the Dardens keep us busy, we may not just have been building all that time either.

I don't know that all the problems here in Maxim are solely about who's on top and who's not but you've got to understand most of us aren't the vile demons you've got us in mind as. We want you to have fun too. War would be fun for us, war you start with us will be fun for us. Being pulled from the top and rebuilding again would be fun for us. If we have to give guilds peace to guarantee them build time like this to try and ensure someone has a even shot at us then we'll do it.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:10 am
Stablehand

because you could coordinate with the remains of darden that have yet to be decimated.

I don't know about anyone else, but I see that as a pretty bold suggestion, and more than a little arrogant and isulting.

How many characters are so fanatical that they will not stoop to assisting, or attempting to gain assistance from another faith? And does anyone remember when getting help from another faith was such a taboo that you were as likely as not to be shunned by your own faith for doing so? I'd expect there to be a rather significant ammount of complaint if this suggestion was taken up.

That suggestion alone indicates to me a belief that first, Isonia players have, or should have no respect for their own faith, and second, that they as a faith are now, and will ever continue to be completely incapable of besting those in Foret.

That's just my take on it.

Questions of the Evernight variety? Ask at ICQ #95982751.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:29 pm
Stablehand

I need no rankings to know that the heathens are beneath me.

I need no rankings to know that the followers of Foret are nothing more than a mass of land crawling savages (and who for the most part cannot RP their way out of a paper bag).

I need no rankings to know that the slaves of Darden are twisted souls whose foul breath alone threatens the sweet air I breathe on Maxim.

It would indeed be a remarkable day before I would stand next to either of your ignorant kind, but do not be mistaken...

if it is decided that Isonia would benefit from such actions then I would suffer a temporary 'alliance'.

However I have yet to see what 'alliance' would make this worth while. The heathen have never managed to take anything from Isonia that is not readily replaceable.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:06 pm
Stablehand

was a reply to the idea of faith alliances and I have since discovered has actually confused at least one Foretian.

The post was IC concerning OOC gameplay. Sorry for the confusion, perhaps I should not attempt to post with alts I can't post OOC with in future.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:45 pm
Stablehand

i was baffled, today, when tara sent me an icq telling me that oafs and tiavain want a 2 week pact for foret not to hit them, and for them not to hit foret.

I am baffled also.

Tiavain does not make and would not make pacts such as this. It is not in our best interests and it is definitely not in the best interests of this game. It's all news to me and we would not want anything to do with such a pact. That's probably why no one has heard from us. Note to everyone: In the future, please do not include our name in any negotiations without having discussed them first with Tiavain.

On a side note. Thank you to various Foretians who have contacted me with, or suggested stratagies here. How deliciously gracious and patronizing of you. ;p *smiles* I don't discuss our plans or tactics with anyone. As always, we will do what we deem best for Tiavain and Isonia, when and where we choose.... if we are given the opportunity. *smiles again*

Thanks to SD for taking the game down and laying things on the line. Something I am really glad you did Demmy. (I was biting my tongue and don't know how you held yours for so long.)

Now, back to the game.

My stave predicts my path, white on winter white,
cold as bones left in the ashes of abandoned fire rings
[/center]

Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:56 pm
Grand Arbiter of NPAC

sorry cru, my bad. wasn't made clear to me.

good thing you aren't accepting the pact. you make my life a whole lot more interesting :)

WeeC | WTFPWND | NX | NPAC
officially endorses MoP's candidacy

Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:00 pm
Stablehand

i don't like to be burned in my kingdom for nothing
i don't like to be landgrabbed by kingdoms having 4 times my networth
i don't like to play faithwars
i don't like to ask enemy gm''rs for help
i don't like to be at a gm meeting at 0300 am my time
i don't like to have only 3 turns an hour
i don't like the constant changes in all of the games
i don't like arrogant posters who wants to influence the players how they should play

i like to play the way i like

so i don't play at all at the moment because normal gameplay is impossible.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:12 pm
Stablehand

I didn't mind the downtime, it gave me more time to tend to guilds. It only helped those other than Foret mainly. *shrugs* It's not going to take a day to turn my ways here though.

I found some things that Bat said kind of... how do you say - ironic?
"i don't like to play faithwars" It's not maxim related, but wasn't he the guy involved in the faithwar in guilds that was a total fluke?

"i don't like to be at a gm meeting at 0300 am my time" Nobody said you had to. SD and Magus made it quite clear -you- don't have to attend, only an AGM. If nobody in your guild can't make it, I'm quite sure you can talk to SD about that.

"i don't like to have only 3 turns an hour " Last I saw, it was 4. Guilds is 3/hour.

"i don't like the constant changes in all of the games" That -is- Maxim. Maxim is supposed to be Decae's toy. I welcome any an all changes within reason. Just about all of them were RP related, and this is SO an RP again.

"i don't like arrogant posters who wants to influence the players how they should play

i like to play the way i like" Only the weak minded get influenced easily. It's apart of the game. It's Politics, and its welcomed. I could say that I don't like Darden and Isonia complaining and whining to Admin to have the game down, but I don't. It gave the time you all needed to simmer down - it shut must of you up, thus I welcomed it with open arms.

That is all I have to say.

A chocolate candy bar who wants to eradicate western culture - without a cause!

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:24 pm
Stablehand

If you can see this, you're late to this week's GM meeting.

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:54 pm
Sticky Fingers

Foundation has an active Disband Order in effect.

My own reasons why ... Furor is in charge if anyone needs to contact us.

Contact me on ICQ for more information.

Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:24 pm
Stablehand

I was just wanting to comment on the fact that it seems like Foret is slowly losing its domination of the top. TGA has been crippled (even though they hold the top 2 spots). The Isonian faith can deal with those two. Now only Silence remains as the overwhelming Foret powerhouse. I'm sure they will be involved in a shit storm before it's all over.

It's just interesting that all the converations I've had covering the "untouchable" Forets, have really meant nothing. Cause it would seem, Iso and Dards have begun making good progress.

Comments?

Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:41 pm
Stablehand

Post Strategy
Posting is an interesting concept....

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:59 pm
Stablehand

Post Strategy
How many different types of strategies are there?

Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:00 pm
Stablehand

There r countless strategies, and each player has its own.

U could ask someone to show u the basics, and from that make ur own..

BTW, these types of questions should be in the New Players Area

!~Kitasstrophy~! WeeC

Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:17 am
Stablehand

Post Looking for Answers
Hi there, I am a Darden kingdom that is starting up, and I have a question.

Recently, I was attacked by three kingdoms for no apparent reason. As this forum is for RP purposes, I am forced to post my question here.

Are the kingdoms {removed names} part of any guild? They are ranked rather highly, and have been attacking my kingdom without any provocation. I sent questions to all three, but none have responded.

As they are all Isonian kingdoms, and have all started attacking in under 30 hours, I assume the three are part of the same guild, and thus question the reasoning behind this attack.

Now I don't know if posing such a question on these boards is 'legal' in Forum rules, but if not, just let me know, and I'll edit my message. Again, will the Guild Leader please stand up and explain your members actions? Thanks.

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:39 pm
Stablehand

First off: DO NOT post Kingdom names (or numbers, for that matter. Realm leader names are OK)

Ever. That's not legal, in any forum.

In response to your question - I think it's OK. If it ain't, it'll get deleted as soon as a Voice or passing Admin spots it. If I'm out of line, this'll get deleted too

At least one of the names you posted, I recognise, and believe to still be guilded.

You, on the other hand, are unguilded. Unfortunately, Maxim is a guilded game. This generally means that unguilded realms are considered "fair play". My guess would be that someone found you, and you're either showing up in a faith database as an unguilded realm, or you're listed in a guild banner or forum as an unguilded realm.

As I said, being UG'd means you're going to be considered fair game, because you don't have any friends. You can only tithe to a certain level, effectively. Beyond that, it's just not cost-effective to offer millions of gold for a handful of acres. Beyond that, there's only one way to get more land.

Take it. And when you're not at war, you take it from unguilded realms. Sorry, that's a cruel fact of life in a guilded game. You don't come and mess with my realm for land "Just because you need some". I'm in a guild. Hit me, and I've got an entire guild behind me who are going to take that personally.

Hit YOU on the other hand ... who's going to stand up for you? I'm sorry, we have rules against shadow-guilding. If I were to help you, I'd be breaking game rules. UG'd realms are, and always have been, considered "fair game". Yes, it's rough on new players, but Maxim has never really been pitched as an "introduction" game.

There's nothing stopping you going it alone, I know of several people who play unguilded. There are advantages. You can do whatever the hell you want to other people - if I randomly attack someone, I'm going to cause a diplomatic incident between my guild and theirs. An unguilded realm doesn't have to worry about that. Nor does it have to deal with internal guild politics, or worry about getting represented at the GM meetings. The downside, as I said, is the lack of protection from random land-grabbing that being guilded offers.

If you don't like getting randomly smacked around because someone else wanted land, I'd recommend finding a guild. I'm probably biased, but Darden's got a damn good set of guilds and is a great place to play. There's good guilds and good players in the other faiths, but I think you've made a good choice of deity ;)

-Elador

Maxim - where the game is the story

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:51 pm
Stablehand

Don't post kingdom names or numbers. Secondly, this is the discussion thread, not the question and answer thread. Now you've been officially advised of those two rules.

Elador pretty well summed it up. Unguilded kingdoms are, by and large, considered fodder for the guilds. A place to garner a bit more land and other resources with relative impunity. Certainly, an unguilded kingdom may attack a guild, and conceivably cause a fair ammount of damage, but realistically, the odds are against you.

My recommendation is to find a guild to join. Peruse the guild charters, be sure you read them before you attempt to join a guild. I can speak from experience, 80% of people that apply to a guild don't actually read the charter first, and in almost all cases, a GM that accepts members based solely on the fact they asked to join is a poor leader, and a less than outstanding guide to help you get the hang of this game.

While Maxim isn't intended to be an introductory sort of game, it isn't impossible to learn the game in this setting. The only requirement is that you do in fact post RP on the boards regularly, subject to the rules outlined in the aptly named Rules thread you can find near the top of the thread list.

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:43 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next