It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Maxim General Discussion. (OOC) 
Stablehand

*Nods* I found Campaign Cartographer pretty easy to get the hang of, and capable of producing maps in pretty much any scale you need. The website has some pretty good examples of map outputs.

I'm planning on picking up the modules for city design and dungeon design to map out some of the RP locations we have (subtle hint, taken, Lyssia ;))

Maxim - where the game is the story

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:09 am
Stablehand

Those programs really look cool Lyssia. Any Ideal how they could be incorperated into threads? Or would that be a possability somehow?

I could design and create RavenFire Island and people could see where they were going and such . And as more people added details to the Island I could add them to the map.

Hmm would it be something that could be added to a thread Easely SD?

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:46 am
Stablehand

You are allowed images in posts, I believe.

I'd be more inclined - especially if it was a large map - to host it somewhere and put a link in an OOC note at the start of the thread.

Maxim - where the game is the story

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:36 am
Stablehand

And to be honest, I don't see why we should not have one, if someone is willing to make one.

Alcestis has a great idea, in that instead of showing Guild locations on the map, which could be very unrealistic, to place landmarks and major cities on the map instead.

I think it is unrealistic to think that all the members of one guild would always have to reside in one area with the others of their guild. It of course would happen in some guilds, such as Tiavain, which is a city and we do not have kingdoms for rp purposes. (although, some members, besides a city residence, may have another one somewhere else for all I know). Other guilds may have kingdoms scattered across the map (such as SO), but it would be helpful to know where their major landmarks are.

I see this simply as a point of reference. I love visuals. I do not think it would restrict rp and I don't think it should be used as such. People who don't want to use it do not have to.

As well, this Isle has a capitol. How many people in recent rp have visited it? Do they even remember it's name? There used to be alot of rp centered in the capitol and it was open to all races and all faiths.. A neutral zone. Each guild might even have a guild office in the capitol.. think of the great rp which could result from that. (I can already)

Also, besides guild landmarks, I think it would be great to name mountain ranges, plains, seas etc. The idea is not to restrict, but to open up the rp possibilities of the game.

We need to expand our vision. We need to see how the map can help us and not restrict us. I think we can make a map which is not restrictive. We don't have to do things the way they were in the past. Let's make one and use it merely as an aid and a prop to our rp.

It might even be fun to turn it into an event for actually making the map, naming landmarks, a random lottery placement of the capitol, etc. We could have cartographers, from each guild, submit in rp, descriptions of their landmarks, (and yes, a FAMOUS, long running tavern could possibly be a landmark) That could be included in the Map Thread and could be a great reference for rping with certain people and in certain areas. I know some people and guilds (including Tiavain) like people to rp with them as they present their kingdom or guild, not as to what other people might assume their kingdom is like. (ie, people attacking Tiavain kingdoms, which do not exist for us rpwise, for the most part) This thread could be added to as needs be, whenever the cartographers have something to add. If it is a major landmark for inclusion on the map (ie a discovery of a series of caves in "Such and Such Mountains" they would rp the locale, the discovery of which would have to have been rp'd somewhere in a thread, and contact the creator of the map and have that person edit the new locale onto it.

Tiavain has a map of a portion of "The Shoppe District" in each Streets of Tiavain thread. This is not to restrict people in their rp, but to give them an idea as to what they might find there and where they could go to rp with others. There is an Inn, a Magic Shoppe, a Smithy and Stables, a Seamstress, A Bazaar, a Coffee and Smoke House, a Rooming House etc. A great deal of the rp in those threads takes place in the Magic Shoppe, but it is not confined to there. There has been rp at the gates, the streets themselves and all of the locales mentioned above. I want to give people options for rp and a place to start. If someone wants to create a new locale for rp in that thread, that is great also. We are not confined by the map to that one small area, or to restricting ourselves to what appears there. It is merely a launch point and a reference.

A map IS a good idea. Look how many ideas it can inspire, and those are just a few of my own. I am sure that you and others could come up with all sorts of possibilities when using a map.

This game is about rp. Let's support it in every way that we can.

I say, make a map.

My stave predicts my path, white on winter white,
cold as bones left in the ashes of abandoned fire rings
[/center]

Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:51 am
Stablehand

I for one agree that posting is very important to an RPG game, I know that I for one have been very laxed in the posting, not because I'm lazy, but I got tired of all the EVENING BALLS, The QUest for this or that, this is an RPG game, people I think forgot that, they log in and look at numbers, I have been very disappointed in War chats, people would not stay in character. The game for me lost some thing, kingdoms just aren't numbers. I tried different threads to get people to interact and if they arent very good at posting, so what, at least try and stay in character. I for one will try my very best to make my posts interestign and imaginative, even If I dont get invited, I hope the caliber of posts gets upgraded. I am by far not the best writer or poet, but I do love the rpg role playing, wether your a Dardaian Warrior or a Droben Priest, I hope people don't forget the role playing. I thank the Hosts of this game for keeping it alive and well. And what good is an RPG game if there is no RPG.

Thank you

Cougar, Guardian of the Sword of Tesh!

Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:45 pm
Stablehand

Do you have any sort of timeframe in place for these changes?

Not sure if you are still entertaining ideas, an idea that I have been tossing around in my head,

a. Set timeframes for joining the game, have "open" membership for one week every month (could be longer or shorter), allowing anyone who wants to join to join (along the lines of what was used for LGS and LMS)

b. Grant an admin or voice (Voice Caleb is now a bigwig so give him the job, some of us know he used to love this game) with the power to boot people from the game for not roleplaying, give a one week notice that your kingdom will be eliminated if you do not bring up your RP (this can either be a subjective or objective standard)

c. If you get booted for lack of RP then your evernight game account will be restricted from rejoining the Maxim world during the next open period but can be reinstated for the following open period (aka at least one month away from the game in order to become more RP active)

My thinking for the above is that I want to give everyone a chance to play the game without having to make judgement calls on people who do not have a history of RP. Admin/Voices will have to keep up to date with the ongoing RP in any event so it probably isn't too much of a stretch to grant them the power of life and death in the game. Time restraints on entrance to the game will reduce the hardship on Admin/Voices by only expecting them to review new entrances once a month, rather than ongoing, and it restricts the problem of booted people immediately making a new account and re-entering Maxim under an alt.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:21 pm
Stablehand

I've already got most of the details worked out on how this deal is gonna shake out. It will all be explained when I bring the game back up. The game will be up later this week. I'm almost finished with the changes, and then I need to run it through a bit of testing before I turn everyone loose on it.

Patience is a virtue. ;>

Questions of the Evernight variety? Ask at ICQ #95982751.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Stablehand

Just used a picture for the first time in a thread.. that makes it way more interesting.. Cool.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:25 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4