It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Silence goes to war 
Stablehand

Post Silence goes to war
It started simply enough. Most messes do. The leaders of the realms that made up the Cacophony of Silence had come together in conference. Their reason was to determine the short and long term course of action for their guild.

There is an adage that states something like it is all fun until someone gets hurt. Well, someone got hurt. Several someones actually. Spirits were drunk and tempers flew. Before anyone realized what was going on the council room had been divided into factions and they stood hurling insults at each other. Well, they only hurled words for a short bit, then they moved on to various crockery and finally ended up with weapons drawn and spells flying.

The fight spilled out of the chamber, through the keep and into the city streets. Proud leaders who had long worked side by side drew blood and attempted to kill one another. Troops of guards stood by in shock as they watched those who led them in battle against heathens take up arms against another. As their shock wore thin they too drew their weapons and attacked their fellows.

After so very long at peace war had finally come to Silence. Only this time the combatants were from within. Sides were drawn and blood was to be shed. May Foret's most devout win.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:29 am
Stablehand

"WE SHOULD ACT NOW!" Kyoji could not sit any longer. Since he joined the Silence, there had been nothing but that. Silence. "I came to this guild because I heard of it's glory and bravery. And now I will NOT sit here and grow fat and complacent."

The others sitting around were surprised. Akodo Kyoji usually kept silent in matters like this. He came from a land where station was everything and here he had very little. Kyoji drew his sword and pointed directly at Edgar. "I was told of glory and you have delivered none. I was promised war and my troops use their weapons as cooking utensils. I will have my war if it costs your blood. And any of you who do not agree will pay similarly."

Others stood with Kyoji but others still opposed him. And the fight broke out. Sprites retreated to Kyoji's kingdom to inform the armies that they would be going to war. With their allies. These days would be the days where great generals were admitted into the books of glory and their adversaries would be lost in the sands of time. Kyoji would not be lost.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:43 am
Stablehand

War. That is all that people come now a days. U cant even say hi to someone withouth holding your sword for a "just in case" situation. People only want to war when boredom comes to them. War is a serios. Blood is spilled, even if its just your enemys blood. Ive been in war for over a month now, and in both wars, both sides come out loosing. no one even care about the families that get torn apart by war. The only thing people think about is, Who am i gonna kill today?. Peace is something that everyone should joice about, make festivities and be happy about it. People only care about war. I defend peace, even if it takes me to war.

!~Kitasstrophy~! WeeC

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:49 am
Stablehand

Starving from lack of nourishment, the crow was becoming weak. It had been months since it had seen its last meal. The lands that usually comprised the battlefields of Silence, were most often filled with the carcasses of foolish humans who dared an assault against them. However they had long since been abandoned. The lands which were normally a haven for scavengers were now a desolate wasteland, devoid of food for starving crow. There had been lack of war for months.

The crow weakly took flight trying to scan the landscape in vain for any kind of nourishment possible. Against all hope from the unfortuanate crow there was none to be found.... It faltered in the air as it flew not knowing how much longer it could last.

All the sudden the crow espied a great clammering of swords and heard an uproar pouring out from the halls.

"How could this be, there are no invading forces in these lands, what is all this commotion", thought the crow.

Just then the crow realized what was happening... A revolt had begun within Silence. The crow cawed in delight, and began circling in the air... at long last there was to be a great feast tonight... he quickly sped to the nests to gather his brethren.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:53 am
Stablehand

A smile lit the necromancer's face. It was echoed on the face of his mistress, Vayne, as well.

War. He cared little that it was among their newfound guildmates. He lived for the chaos that was battle, and loved the smell of the death it brought forth.

Foret did not place us here to be cattle; we are to serve his will, and eradicate heathens, regardless of their strength in proportion to theirs. They are heathens, they rebel against Foret's will. For that, they should be killed, he spoke to the group.

Others spouted off about conversions of heathens to add to Foret's faithfull, only to be cut off by another who desired conflict. To Abhorsen, there was only one choice. The weak must be separated from the stong.

The Dark Couple stood back to back, daggers drawn and spells at the ready. They eagerly awaited the deaths of some of the attendants so they could be raised to serve their purpose.

A crow cawed in the distance, and again that smile lit the faces of Abhorsen and Vayne.

Death was near. They were salivating.

LoF/TGA

Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:41 am
Stablehand

Soveliss watched silently as the mood of the meeting went from ugly to revolt. Men stormed out of the chamber with rage in their eyes, as some openly drew their swords in a show of contempt. A great deal were infuriated when the announcement came that Silence was still to remain at peace, building until further notice. It was their belief that Foret's will was for war, that the heathans should be removed from their lands in the name of God. It was no secret that the men of Silence were restless, but this was an outrage. An offensive now would only fuel the foreign rumours of Foret's lust for power, however this was not enough for them. They wanted war and denied it had turned on their own guild.

Kyoji it seemed was trying to rally people against their very leader as his lust for battle overwhelmed him. As the rebels massed Soveliss quickly rose and left the room. Sending a rider ahead to warn his kingdom of the imminent battle Soveliss himself rode in another direction, his mind plagued with thoughts. This was an outrage, Foret's own followers declaring war on their breatheran. If this could not be settled peacefully it would strike a great blow to the guild's foundation. Those that remained loyal to their leader would have to convene as quckly as possible if they wished to settle this affair wtih minimal bloodshed.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:05 am
Stablehand

She entered the chambers as the newest addition to the ranks of Silence. She had heard of their exploits, their courage, their thirst for combat! It was this last options that drew her to their numbers. She was old, older than most would guess in their wildest dreams, but she had too many surviving enemies to allow her to sleep comfortably at night. This, hidden among the ranks of Silence, was a better condition than sleeping alone in the woods, living a life of solitude, unattached and unguided. These were ugly and dangerous times, better to lose ones self among a crowd of big strapping young warriors. An old and weary hag would be considered the least of their worries when faced with those odds. She grinned wryly at that thought, little did her enemies know of her, overconfidence in themselves and underestimating this death ridden old woman had cost the life of more than one heathen.

Unfortunately, these men and women of Silence were not what she was anticipating. When she had slowly dragged herself into their council room, their newest member, her face lost in their crowds, her head barely reaching the breast plates of most of these warriors she heard nothing but talk of peace and tranquility, building and loving these times. They toasted each other, drinking and laughing, no worries on their minds, they were growing complacent, fat and lazy.

No, this would not do, this was not the way of Foret, she had not come to this place for such a crowd, no, she would leave, they would not miss her.

But it was before she left the chambers that a voice caught her ear, a voice questioning the choice of peace, a voice looking for war. It would seem there was still a wolf among these lambs. Then another voice grumbled and a few grunts of acknowledgment and agreement arose among the council.

Well now, it would seem I may have judged these fickle minded men a bit too soon. Perhaps there are a few here who still carry the lust for blood and battle in their hearts. Perhaps I can be used here after all….

She turned back around, slowly straightening to her full height, her short walking stick gave her an appearance of an even smaller stature than was rightfully accurate. She wrapped her cloak around her shoulders and edged her way through the crowd. Closing her eyes and shutting out the room she now peered through the darkness, into the very depths of each man’s soul.

Yes, there it is! The crackling words were too soft for any to hear, but none would have know what she muttered about anyways. There are a few of you here, your hearts are hard, you seek to fight, to kill to decimated all that is before you….some of you seek power, to overcome those above you, some of you are oppressed, you sir, have a need to prove yourself, yes, we can work with this!

She moved then, her eyes still shut, reading the hearts of these men, making her way through the crowd like a shadow she came to them, whispering in their ears, her words soft and coaxing like the tongue of a snake slipping out to sample the air. None knew of her presence but they heard her words and like a potent ale these enchantments engrossed their minds, clouding judgments and changing wills. It was not long before open protest resulted and then the open challenges that spilled out into the streets where the swords were drawn and friends killed friends!

Perhaps it would have happened without her, there had been more frustration and will for war than she had thought, but it was always better to help the situation along, besides, Foret had little use for peace such as this. After all, she wanted to contribute to her new found home, to bring to these men the will of Foret, and His will was the way of war!

Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:27 am
Stablehand

The council united as to decided what would be the fate of Silence. They spoke, they gave there opinion. It was long since all the members of Silence sat in one room to decide if we war or not. For over 5 hours we sat there, and yet, no decision has been made. Peace, War. My head started to ache. I started thinking

Ez fer war, I call it murder,-
There you heve it plain an' flat,
I don't want to go no furder,
Than my Testyment fer that,
Foret has said so plump an' fairly,
It's ez long ez it is broad,
An' you've gut to git up airly
Ef you want to take in Foret

Many still think war is something to cherish all day everyday. There's many a boy here today who looks on war as it where all glory, but the truth is that its all hell. Yes boy, you need to comprehend the actions one must comit to when warring. You only think about the prosperity and reputation you will have in Saying I Killed a Man, but you dont think about the orphan children that are now to grow up without a father, the wife that is anguished by the lost of the loved one. The family that once was united, is now tored apart by the rage they have at you.

I myself prefer the most unjust peace to the justest war that was ever waged here in Tonan.

The council still whispered. What could they still be whispering about.

I stood

War in Men's eyes shall be
A monster of iniquity
In the good time coming
Nations shall not quarrel then
To prove which is the stronger,
Nor slauger men for glory's sake,
Wait a little longer

Peace with honor.
Let us have peace.

I pulled my sword out.
Peace at any price.

!~Kitasstrophy~! WeeC

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:52 pm
Stablehand

...Yesss! what gloriousness befalls the realm of the living, my dead heart soars like the rabbit....the maleavolent spirit cackled as it swirled around the room. It had taken longer than expected but, it's hard work had corrupted the mightiest of leaders. War for no reason, strife for a pittance, pestilence for free. If the spirit could feel happiness it might have warmed at the anticipation of so much blood. But it was hesitant, some of the lords in the room had not yet taken up the rage of their comrades.

....my lord Dante...these are not your friends...they covet your gold...your kingdom...your...beloved...

Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:22 pm
Stablehand

She had been there, oh yes, they all had, in the council room when Hesketh called them to meet. She'd been led down from the mountain fortress by the Shade, swaddled in Darkness' cool embrace. The two stole through the Silent lands, so quiet and peaceful the cities were these nights. Once they'd come to the council chamber the Shade let lose the Darkness around his charge, allowing Alcestis to walk freely into the place and take her seat at the table. The Shade himself retreated to the shadows, melding as one amongst his dark servants.

As the talk grew more heated and insults went flying, the Shade chuckled to himself and hoped the guild his charge called family would finally reach down from their lofty positions in the land and crush those that would oppose them with finality.

But what was this, the council divided, two factions, one for war, one for peace. The men yelled at one another, not even noticing the small old woman with the walking stick easing her way through the screaming match. The Shade watched this one with interest, hoping the old woman would reach out and crack a few heads with her walking stick.

The thought of that produced a low chuckle that emenated from the shadows and reverberated through the room. Alcestis tried to calm them, pleaded with them to stop screaming at eachother but she went unheard over the din of the men's louder voices.

The very second weapons were drawn, Alcestis no sooner stood up with her hands out rushing to break up the fights with no weapon of her own, the Shade reached out, tendrils of shadow wrapped 'round her waist and shoulders yanking her back from the fray into the protective hold of her guardian. She watched helplessly from the Shadowlands as one might see a daydream, as the fights spilled out to the quiet streets and their guild finally went to war. With themselves.

Back through the shadows the two went home to the mountain, the range that surrounded the Silent lands, and through every city they slipped back through now, peace was not what they found anymore.

The peasants had taken up arms, the armies fought amongst themselves, fought the peasants, women and children even took to the streets armed with anything they could grab and swing. Sheer riots broke out all over, peasant and general alike looting and ransacking the gold coffers and shops, burning homes and salting the land.

High up in the caverns, her own city lay unburned yet, the sentries stood at their posts, though talk of the civil war was running like a hot current through the cavern homes. The shadows entered Alcestis' private chambers, released the woman and the Shade into the warm firelit cavern. Alcestis was in tears.

The Shade drew her close and pulled her chin up to look at him full in the face. His countence was firm, his eyes blazed and he had no comfort to offer his charge this time.

"You see now what these months of pitiful peace have brought your family now? Every city below is in chaos! Your leader sought to be a shining light of peace and plenty even for those he calls heathen, and now look. Your own people want to war, they know war is what the gods of this world call their followers to do in their names."

Alcestis had no words to reply, hot tears flowed down her otherwise unblemished cheeks as the Shade went on.

"Would you still show peace and love to the so-called heathen of these lands? Would you still believe that is what's best for the people of Silence? Look now and see the fruits of peace! Peace with the heathen has brought death to your own."

With this Alcestis finally sank down to her knees and screamed like a feral creature. The Shade stalked off out of the chambers to see any unrest on their mountain put down as quickly as it would arise.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:28 pm
Stablehand

The diminuative one called Edger was standing on the table, his ears back and his fur bristling as he screamed at the top of his little lungs.

You claim peace yet you draw forth a weapon of war! You filthy hypocrite. You claim to follow the First Born, the God of Justice, yet you desire to let an unjust situation continue on the Isle. You wish to spare the lives of the foul heretics directly opposing Foret's Will. He needs their souls to win his war for supremacy. Only through war can he obtain them. You dare oppose Foret's will? Coward. Despicable coward. Afraid to fight your God's enemies yet you dare draw your weapon on me. Bah! Furless sack of worthless bones!

His were flaring with anger as he spit in Kyoji's direction.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:20 pm
Stablehand

Thorin immediately rallied to the aid of Edger. Edger's blood would not spill upon his own halls, not on this day, not if his sword could hinder it. He drew it from its sheath, and slowly stared down all that were present.

All of these newcomers had created rifts within the guild. Thorin guessed that many of the old timers would align themselves with Edger, however it was not certain. The newcomers, were powerful in their own right, however they were hasty and acted rashly.

He knew he somehow had to get to his castle so that he could command his armies to war should the need arise. However for the time being he waited patiently beside Edger; insuring no harm would come to him, he looked at his guildmates attempting to judge who would become his ally or his enemy.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:05 am
Lord of War

As Steven made it to the village to search for the rest of Silence he recieved an avairy stating that Silence has been found. They are in a state of chaos right now, mounting a battle againts Foret. Steven figures it was time he was able to expend his boarders. So with a quick shout of words. THe mobs of troops began running back to the kingdom. Within hours they were all inside the doors and plans for war began fleshing out. Steven sitting on top of his Opulent began to say his speech on what he wanted done. Today we will not war, today we practice our defense. Something we've never had to do before. I want the Ingins fixing what forts we have and mounting them. You guys will be throwing the stones and battling those who try to climb our wars. The bunars, I want you to lay in the neighboring forest and wait for the heathens to come so we can create a flank on them. The opulents you guys are to stand by the gates just in case the gate is to be broken in. As for my Nubash my pride and joy. You guys will be catupulted into the air and ot land among the armies of the enemy in which you guys will begin fighting to your death. Good luck and may Foret love us more than the rest.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:41 pm
Stablehand

UD was sittng at his normal spot, as he has been to many meetings of the leaders of Silence. As the discussions of war are discussed the tension builds. One cannot help but feel it. Some want war and some do not. As the discussion escalates all you here is the slicing noise of swords coming out of there holders. Then blades start flying about the room. UD slowly stands and pulls his sword, but does not use it. As he watches a few swords fly his way and with little effort he raises his sword to block the blow. UD does not strike back for he is one that will not draw a fight to a fellow Foret .
The room starts to empty as many have gone to the streets. UD sits back down and lays his sword on the table. Wondering what is to become of this land of silence. Only wishing there was silence.

Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:34 am
Stablehand

Ceridwen stumbled slightly as she entered the tent. She understood that she had been brought to the camp's leader. She sighed as she realised that they likely thought her to be some sort of a spy. They had, after all, caught her sneaking around the guard posts. She tried to think of a reason to give them for her presence, but she couldn't. The truth, what she remembered of it, would not help her now.

The leader turned slowly and looked at his "guest". "Well, what have we got here?" he asked his guards as he eyed her. Ceridwen was horrified to hear such anger in an elf's voice. She almost flinched as he pulled back her hood.

His reaction came as a shock..."Ceridwen, is that you? Where have you been? We have needed you here!". He motioned for her to take a seat. He dismissed the guards and sat down next to her. "How could you have walked away from the fight for our lands?" She looked at him blankly.

He shook his head and said, "You haven't been away that long, have you?".

Ceridwen decided that she could tell him the truth. She explained the last few days and her journey here. He then, explained the reason for the many scouts and the camp of elves in the woods. Their nation had entered a brutal civil war...

Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:47 pm
Stablehand

I headed home as there was no end to keep open the dialogue. People are just to stubborn, to blood thirsty for anything except peace. I had trouble getting home. Everywhere i looked, brawls, fighting, looting. It had turned into a civil war. I decided not to interfere, i wont hit another foret even if my life depended on it. The night was settling in. I was growing tired of this turmoil, this chaos to this war. How can Silence be fighting its own members. Apperently, we werent close enough as a guild to surpass our own diferences.

Few more kilometers where to be walked before something caught my attention.

Some thieves, apperenly a band of thieves, more specific, a band of Satyrs where looting a poor old lady. She seemed to be just coming from the market from buying food to feef her family. I couldnt believe it.

I grabbed my sword. This was just intolerable.

What is the problem here

They looked as if they where surprised that i would even dare to harm them.

No problem, we just wanted some food, and asked kindly Ma'am to give us some.

They laughed as they sed it.

I looked at the poor women who was in her knees gathering all her belongings. I looked closer. Tears where forming in her eyes.

Is this true? I asked the poor lady.

Sire, they where looting me. I find it hard enough to provide for my own family, since my husband died fighting for foret over a month ago, agaisnt the Isonians. But look!!!
He fought in vein. He fought for Foret, for his Goddess, and this is how his goddes repays his death? By ransaking, and looting a poor defensless woman?

She made a point. Only she could ahve seened it, since she lost a loved one to Foret.

Leave here, before u get hurt

They laughed, as if i did not provoke fear in them.

I pulled my sword out, and pressed it in to the neck of what seemed to be their gangleader.

Leave now before u get hurt. Dont u ever dare to stand up against me, or any other Foret who comes in ur path, if u contradict this, I myself will hunt you down like the dog that u are in this moment!!

What has Foret become, what has happened to once prospering city. Not only do we have to protect from the attacks of Isonia and Darden, but now, by Foret alike. In the past we could find protection under other Foret. The life that is now upon us is to stand in guards always.

This was bad.

I helped the old lady up, and provided her some escort to her own home. I got a horse, and galloped as fast as I could to my own city.

I called up on to the generals for an emergency meeting.

Everyone came, my 5 generals that commanded my Ingin, Nubash, Bunar, Opulents and Shakes.

Stand at guards at all moments. Opulents and Bunar stand ready 24 hrs of the day. They shall guard the gates and borders. I dont want any Isonian, Darden, or Foret for that manner to come and wage war in my Kingdom. Ingin and Nubash, stand at guard if we are to march at war in a moments notice, since I assume our enemys will take advantage of this. Shakes will watch over the citizens of my city.

We are standing in a civil war gentle men. We cant let our guards down. Very importantly, if u come accross any foret being looted, help them by any means necesary. Our city will not come to wage war against any other foret, but I am gonna protect them, even if it means protecting them from themselves. Help any foret u come accross.

I went to my temple and started to pray...

!~Kitasstrophy~! WeeC

Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:41 pm
Stablehand

As the angry arguments and voices keep going on in the council room, one of the common guards on the inner doors suddenly chokes and starts to drool, caught in a fit of tremors. Quite as if fighting in his mind with an immaterial presence, and that's in fact what happens. Clearly the man is no match for the ethereal intruder, and he soon slumps against the doors with eyes open, oblivious of the many stares and alarmed faces turned in his direction. He blinks once, slowly. His eyes, black before, are now a cold, stone-like grey. And he smiles in a very self-mocking way, his hands vaguely gesturing to what he seems to consider improper attire, or perhaps manners concerning his arrival.

"Now that I seem to have your attention, however brief. I rarely step into the center stage of matters, so to say. Part of the reason I've lived this long, in fact. On a different body, I've sailed through the enclosing seas when this Island was but rocks on its cold bottom. On a different body, I've seen gods die, gods so old that nobody recalls their names now... not even me. On a hundred different bodies, I've seen empires rise, fall, blaze in glory, or crawl inside their own skins and eat themselves. It is all the same to me. Judging for the looks of it, you bunch of bored fools are about to do the last one. It is -still- all the same to me."

He walks to the head of the table and brazenly takes the cup next to the lord sitting there, and sips from it. He smiles a grim, amused smile, and throws the empty cup above his shoulder before talking again.

"What is not the same for me is you fools risking, in whatsoever minor way you might do so, my already mentioned very long existence. I do plan to go on even after this Island resumes his place at the bottom of the seas, and attend whatever funeral may be awaiting Foret himself, you see. Hence... Your banners are not recognized in my city until either only one of you survives the carnage, or you regain some sense and resume your bored peaceful ways or take your snotty frustrations out there to some unlucky heathen. Do not presume to test my now concealed by magic borders. There are worse things than death, if you will pardon my threats."

And as if on a second, minor thought, he adds after patting his current body probingly: "And keep this fellow off the ale, he's getting too soft for a guard of the council."

With this, the body of the guard does something close to an inverse fit of shudders and chokes, and the man, without memory or experience of what just happened through his possessed entrails, faints at the feet of the council table.

So it was that Teleute came, gave them a piece of his old old mind, and was gone.

Whose is the dark, dethroning secrecy
I cannot share, though I am king of suns,
And king therewith of strong eternity?
- C.A.Smith

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:03 pm
Stablehand

Watching silently as the council dissolved into heated arguments and in some cases battles before her, Coralynn saw at once that this situation could have no good end. Leaning over in her chair, she whispered instructions to her panther, which lay on the floor beside her chair. She told him to return to her lands and prepare her troops to come to the aid of the guild's leaders. That she would have to stand against those that had befriended her mattrered not. She only knew that Silence must not fall. Foret would be most displeased if that were to happen to another of his guilds. Looking across the room as she arose from her chair, drawing her sword only to protect herself should the need arise, she walked over to where Soveliss stood, and watched as he dispatched riders for his own kingdom. Guessing that he to, intended to defend the guild, she approached him and asked in a quiet voice.
"M'Lord, what should we do? They seem intent on killing each other, and this would make an excellent opprotunity for the heathens to attack. We cannot allow that to happen, Silence MUST NOT fall!"
Chest heaving with emotion, Coralynn waited for Soveliss' answer.

Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:42 pm
Stablehand

Before mounting Soveliss heard a quiet voice directed at him. "M'Lord, what should we do? They seem intent on killing each other, and this would make an excellent opprotunity for the heathens to attack. We cannot allow that to happen, Silence MUST NOT fall!"

The face was new so Soveliss carefully examined the lady looking for body language that might betray her emotions. Though she seemed sincere, at times like this you could never be too sure. "Worry not m'lady, Silence will not fall. Unlike those new to the guild I have belonged here since ages past and know the strength of our core leaders. Our priority now should be to gather the loyalists together quickly. A companion on the road would be welcomed if you would care to join me, though I warn you this will be no pleasant ride."

Impatient at the delay Soveliss mounted his horse and looked down waiting for the lady's response to his offer. "I've no time to spare, so if you choose to, we need to ride now."

Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:27 pm
Stablehand

She had made herself scarce as the fighting broke out after the council session. Not one to enjoy the pleasures of physical combat she preferred to move in the shadows, directing the hands of others. It was much safer that way. She had not lived this long by being a fool.

She left the town then on her old hag, mounting the mangy beast with an agility that contradicted her age. However, none would have seen her had they been looking in the right direction, she was concealed in a foggy mist that she had called down around her, thick and elusive, any that peered through would see only a dim image of what lay on the other side, her hag and herself were but faint reflections in the mist.

That had been days ago, now she peered deep into the ambers of her fire. She read the words that were spoken after she had left, she continued to read the souls she had sampled not so long ago. Still they remained hard and sold to their cause but so far only minor skirmishes had broken out. She understood this; they faced each other across familiar borders. Family, friends and comrades at arms they were obviously reluctant to fight. Yet it was this blinding effect that was hindering the mighty name of Silence! They did not see the effect it had on themselves but the peace they maintained was slowly bringing the giant to it’s knees. The heathens of Darden and Isonia were spared because of their smaller sizes, but this was the softness evident! NOW was the time to take them! Crush them when the battle was easy, when the victory guaranteed! The young men cried that it was not honorable; their enemies deserved a fair chance on the battle field. Bah! She scoffed at that attitude. They would not live long with such a mind set. Let your enemy arm himself and he will do nothing but ram his steel through your belly, then scoff at your weakness in allowing him to pick up his sword. Honor is for the young and foolish. Victory is for those who grasp the opportunities presented to them!

And now is the opportunity offered by Foret. She had no desires to kill the followers of Foret. It burdened her heart to do so, but alas there was no other way. It was only by pinching one's self that one awoke from a dream. This is what Silence required, a hard and sharp pinch to awaken them. The old leaders had their hearts in the right place but they were misguided in their actions. It was as outsiders, new arrivals to this mighty guild that she and others saw what must be done. And it was with this resolve, a desire to see the will of Foret established above all, even the will of her new allies that she sent for her Hag's of the Night. Cloaked and guarded ghosts of the night they would seek out those opposed to these new changes, and convince them of what must be done, it would happen, one way or another.

Also sent out were notes to those leaders of a resolve for revolution. AkodoKyoji, Abhorsen and others...

Quote:
My allies in this revolution, before us lie dark days, we battle with our friends and family. It is not a situation any would desire but for those who listen for the voice of Foret they will know it is a decision that must be followed through. We combat complacency, laziness and the ungratefulness of an army to their God who has rewarded them bountifully. Nay, we will continue this war for Foret even if it means turning on our own to reach that goal! So now I call you together as we must unite to overcome this new foe! Join me in this fight and we will change the destiny of a nation!

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:39 am
Stablehand

"Hippocrite? How dare you Edgar" The sarcasm in Kyoji's voice was evident. "I make no claim of peace. I follow Foret, the God of Justce. Is it just that we sit and wait for the end of the world? Is it just that we grow fat on our own properity? Is it just that we let our swords go dull? NO! It is not. I am fully aware of Foret's need for redeemed souls. Which is why I am willing to go through you to conquer them. You speak of hippocracy? You need look no further than a mirror. These words you say to me are very eloquent. They are the words of a politician. They have substance. Your words are the words of a coward, not mine. You will not see me again until we meet on the field of battle. I will respect the rules set down that no blood be spilled in the council chamber, but only so far as I am not attacked. Anyone who decides to attack me shall find themsleves a formidable foe."

Kyoji left the building. Once outside he drew his sword again and cut down all who opposed him. He returned to his Kingdom to find the fogs already set and his troops already drilling for war. There was also a letter. It was from one of the new members of Silence. He read and smiled. Kyoji pulled out parchment and wrote that Kyoji's armies would be by her side this day. There were allies waiting to be found.

Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:40 am
Stablehand

Her Hag’s of the Night returned quickly, finishing their business with the efficiency that most leaders could only dream of from their subjects. The explanation was simple, this was not a kingdom of leaders and rulers, of subjects and servants, no this was a kingdom in which each individual had a role that was intricately tied to the others. Failure in one area meant the entire process would fall apart.

Now these, her Hag’s reported their findings in a short but to the point report:

Quote:
The loyalists, those with the resolve to defend the old ways, the ways of peace and complacency are fortifying and preparing for a long battle. Some see what is coming, as others still live in ignorance of what is to come.

Also of note is the increased animosity between the Lords and commoners. Many kingdoms are experiencing revolts among their peasants and/or personal guards. It would seem that even among the great armies of Silence the decision to fight or continue the peace is breaking everything up at all levels of authority. Thieves have also increased their activities, taking advantage of the disruptions that are distracting all law enforcing bodies.

It is our recommendation that we move now, before the loyalist have a chance to organize themselves. If we strike before a unified body is established among the followers of peace we will break them. As it stands right now we are of the weaker force, their numbers are much larger than ours, our allies are few but passionate of the cause. The loyalists will not expect a coordinated attack this soon. They believe us to be but new arrivals to these parts, not yet experienced in the ways of war and command. This is our advantage then.

Lady Mafore,
Hag’s of the Night

She looked around her immediate council. All women, and all as old as her, they were the last of her family. An ancient Elvin class that practices old and forgotten magic they had lived for centuries, accumulating experience and knowledge. They were of a secluded and private family. Their lands shrouded in fog and mystery no outsider had even found them unless either escorted or invited. They were not a large group, they had no interest in wealth and accumulation of property. They maintained what they had with the focus on perfecting what was already theirs.

Calling these around her to sit they began to debate what must be done. The largest concern was the lack of numbers among those seeking to restore the glory of Foret as a God of war. Instead, too many of the elders in Silence sought peace and these elders had a heavy influence over too many others.

Mistress, we must push now, we have no choice, to wait for these armies, larger in number and size to band together as a unified body is to accept suicide. We must push forward now, call those loyal to our cause together and take the advantage of surprise as our ally and cut down their numbers!

There were a number of heads agreeing to this statement but one in the corner seemed to have her mind on another matter.

Mistress Retoran what distracts you? You know this is an open forum, speak your mind and let us see what you have to propose.

It was clear that she hesitated with her information but slowly it came out. Her confidence returning with the knowledge that this was an open forum of discussion and no opinion would go punished or would be scoffed at.

Mistresses, we are outnumbered both in size and force, but there is an easy way to balance this equation. We could call on the followers of Darden to assist us. They would provide whatever armies and forces we would need.

To be honest, I had expected something like this. We had not survived this long by simply fighting the good fight. Victory and hence survival must come by any means necessary. At least this was almost always true.

Mistress Retoran we are in a desperate situation here, backed into a corner by this advantage that the loyalists have. We are also in an open forum to discuss any possible idea no matter how far fetched it might be and it is for these two reasons that you will be forgiven for your comment but never, NEVER will we call on the help of heathens to fight followers of Foret. If a problem splits our ranks we will not allow a heathen God to influence the outcome. We face a battle with the purpose of finding Foret’s true will. Under no circumstances will I allow the will of Foret to be influenced by either Darden or Isonia. We fight this fight amongst ourselves, I will not be responsible for bringing the heathens into this situation. Should someone else do it then so be it. However, it will not be us!

The meeting continued but the decision seemed to be made, it was time to attack, they would move forward as a combined force. The sorceresses and thieves of Sass, combined with the armies of those allies who would accompany her.

We leave in two day then, prepare our forces, we will supply the sorceresses and thieves, AkodoKyoji has pledged his alliance already so send him our plans, target and a request for military aid. Also, send out dispatches to the other leaders who have not yet responded to our invitation of allegiance, let them know that they are welcome to join us in this conquest. Also, pass around the word among the armies of Silence that those who wish to join our cause should not fight their own battles but join us as a force. May Foret forgive us for what we are about to do but alas there is nothing else to do. We march!

The messages were sent that same hour, the battle was beginning.

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:42 am
Stablehand

He crouched deeper into the shadows as the armored column thundered past, carefully noting their heraldry, numbers and direction. As the dust settled, Ohanzee crossed the road just beyond the bend and set off along the faint game trail toward the west.

It was his nature to wander and observe, rather than lounge about the village listening to the tales of braggarts and would be heros. The news of unrest in the lands of Silence had directed his feet well beyond the boundaries of his normal forays. The movement of armies, and posturing of the lords and ladies of these Foretians fortold of a great storm rising. A storm that might well engulf him at any moment.

As his moccasined feet ran silently down the path, his eyes scanned the forest around him. He whispered a prayer, drew his bow and notched an arrow. If Mountain saw fit, Ohanzee would reach his village by sunrise on the morrow. This news must be delivered.

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:33 am
Stablehand

Abhorsen and Vayne defended themselves from the onslaught. They both did it with a smile on their faces!

Death had come. Followers of Foret killing one another. This meant one thing to the necromancers, a golden opportunity for reincarnation! Raising dead heathens was one thing, but now, they would have access to the finest dead warriors on all of the isle, the warriors of Foret!

Precious, Abhorsen spoke to Vayne, we must collect these dead and return home to prepare!

Maybe, my dear, she replied, we should make a little detour on the way home?

What did you have in mind? he asked.

You see how well the raised soldiers fight, so much better than those of Darden or Isonia. Perhaps we should find more of them to raise...she left the comment hang.

He knew what she was getting at.

The Weeping Cemetary! He spoke. It was where the finest of Foret's fallen warriors had rested. It was forbidden to raise them again, but desperate times called for desperate measures. They were outnumbered, and they must even the sides and end this conflict, before the peace-mongers were killed by the very people they wished to leave alone!

The Dark Couple left the capital city, and headed towards the Weeping Cemetary.

They had in tow with them a good number of warriors who fell at the ill-fated council meeting as they made their way to the burial grounds. More than enough were there to alert them to danger.

That's what almost got the messenger killed. Good thing that it didn't!

I approached with urgent word for Lord Abhorsen and Lady Vayne! He shouted, obviously frightened of the dead surrounding him.

Do you think they are begging us to come back, Vayne asked sarcastically.

Abhorsen just smiled and approached the messenger. Relay your message.

Shaking in his saddle, the messenger read the old woman's message. Abhorsen nodded and smiled.

You may tell the lady that she has our support, and the support of the finest warriors who have ever served Foret! Go now, for our enemies are now our brothers, and no one knows us so well!

The messenger with great relief, and even greater speed, left them to send the reply.

This is fun, spoke Vayne.

Indeed it is, replied Abhorsen, Indeed it is!

LoF/TGA

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:06 am
Stablehand

The march had been organized quickly and had been carried out efficiently. Now they stood on the lands of Dante. They peered on his world and all he held dear. It would seem he had been preparing to defend his lands, his armies were of a sizable strength and skill, he was after all a member of Silence where only the strong could excel. It was why they had come here in strength. Individually Dante and his followers would have made a very tough fight. However, now with the aid of AkodoKyoji's armies at the side of her sorceresses they themselves were the bigger of the sides.

It was so that they laid siege to the capital, encamped and prepared to fight they waited for word from Dante. It was as the final touches were being completed, the siege weapons in place and prepared for use should they be called on that a messenger came galloping into the camp as fast his steed would carry him. Upon reaching her tent the horse dropped, exhausted, to die later, spilling the rider head over heels.

Mistress, the heathens come! They march on these very lands right now! The outskirts of Lord Dante's lands are under attack! What shall we do?

What of our own lands child? Does the fog still stand, do the heathens still wander aimlessly or are we needed back at home?

No Mistress, our lands are still safe and untouched, however, our allies, weakened from fighting each other are now under attack from another side!

I sent her on her way, there was no other useful information here. The truth was that Foret and Darden had seen their opportunity and had sent in their minions to take advantage of the situation. That could not be allowed to happen!

Scribe, take a note for Lord Dante!
Quote:
M'Lord Dante, it is with the greatest regrets that I write this note. Right now we may stand on different sides of the conflict but a common enemy to the two of us has invaded your lands. We have cut off all communication into your city so I feel obliged to inform you of the plight your people face.

I cannot in good conscience stand here with my armies while the forces of Darden and Isonia kill the followers of Foret. We may be of a disagreement, nay, even a argument that has escalated into civil war. Yet we are both still followers of Foret and I cannot stand here and allow them to assault your borders while we fight each other.

I am ordering my sorceresses to turn around and fight those very enemies that invade your lands. I have recommended to AkodoKyoji that he do the same. I invite you to join also, no blade of mine will be turned on a follower of Foret while a single heathen still breaths in the lands of Silence.

Mistress Sass,
Head Huntress of the Hags

Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:56 am