It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Redanga: Marketplace of the Mist (Open) 
Stablehand

Post Redanga: Marketplace of the Mist (Open)
(OOC: This thread is open to all, all I ask is that you roughly stay with the storyline. Thanks.)

The art of making a few honest pennies was beginning to wear him out. Dragging himself from township after township did little for his general well being but essential for him to continue making a profit. Running three long fingers through his long black hair Makado decided that life was comfortable enough for his liking at the Mist; he had everything in place for a successful stay for some time as yet.

He had just prepared his own stall for the long day ahead, a large oaken table provided the space to display his items, and a somewhat crudely designed roof incorporating four corner posts and waxed fabric sheet would keep the worse of the rain off his stock. It had been with him for many years and continued to more than serve its purpose. Today a jewel incrusted dagger and a carved wooden horse were the most viable items to catch any potential customer’s eye.

The proximity of the Inn where he was staying to the centre of Redanga was also beneficial. Every morning all he had to do was make his way down underneath the inn to collect his possessions and make the short walk across the square. Even though he detested the mornings the ease of this task made it easier for him to face the day ahead.

To say Redanga was a square would be incorrect. The mosaic floor spread its way around in many directions. There were two stonewalls on the north and western perimeter and the south and eastern borders tailed off into dense forest. There were many paths and walkways that lead their way to and from Redanga. The stalls were situated around the edge of mosaic, covering almost of every need of the citizens of the Mist. Next to Makado a solitary fish trader wiled away his days, he wasn’t a bad chap but the stench drove Makado to distraction.

Inside the stalls a number of performers and musicians attended regularly and even though he didn’t particularly care for the noise it seemed to cheer up the citizens and therefore make them more likely to part with the hard earned gold. Redanga attracted a wide range of cliental from many nearby townships and a wide range of citizens all with different needs.

Gazing up at the morning sky all he could do was wait for some custom. A solo violinist began to play a merry tune as Makado gave way to a smile; Redanga wasn’t such a bad place to live.

Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:18 pm
Stablehand

Her ears twitched, this was not right, this was not home.

Her whiskers brushed against something, it was too dark for even her feline eyes to see.

Where was she?

Scratch stretched out, her claws catching on something in the darkness. On reflex she brought her paws back towards her, but whatever her claws had caught upon wouldnot let go. It touched her face, feeling rough and coarse, some kind of material perhaps? But it was all around her, the alley-cat had never been in a situation like this one before. She could see nothing in the darkness and her nose could only catch the scent of stale air and herself. Why was there material all around her? What did business did a cat have with the cloth-weavings of the two-legs?

More cautiously this time she stretched out, trying to find the limits of her dark prison. It was a small space, not even a enough room to properly stand up on her four legs. The rough material would not give away in front of her, but it was gathered together at one point. Perhaps it was tied there, holding her inside itself...a sack? She'd seen others of her kind get put in sacks by cruel two-legs, their desperate cries not helping them at all, Sractch could even remember listening as a kitten to an older cat tell the sorrowful tale of her lost litter, bundled into a sack while their eyes were still shut, thrown in a river to drown. Was that what was about to happen to her? She couldn't remember exactly how she'd got inside the sack, just a vague memory of putting her nose somewhere where it shouldn't have been.

She chose a section of the sack at random, working at it with her claws and teeth, spitting at the foul taste of the material. No two-leg was going to throw her into a river, most certainly not. Scratch had lived through too much to end the last of her nine lives drowning beneath the waters, becoming food for fish. Becoming food for such things was not right at all, no, it should be the fish being eaten by the cat not the other way round.

Strand by slow strand the material gave way, letting in light little by little until there was enough of a hole for Scratch to push her head through. Her nose wrinkled as she caught the scent of the place outside the sack. Out of the darkness into unknown light, she purred in a tongue that no two-leg would understand. She wriggled her way out of the sack, a scarred stray in a place that she certainly didn't know. It looked all wrong, it felt all wrong, it smelt all wrong, not at all like home.

There were plenty of two-legs about but none of them paid attention to the cat that blinked and looked about the market-place with curiousity. Scratch was never going to be a cat that caught attention, not unless she was doing something wrong. Her fur was more often that not slick and oily, marked here and there with the trace of a scar. Even her tail had not escaped her life on the streets untouched, it was shorter than it should be and ended in a nub of scar tissue, a reminder of a one-eyes tom who hadn't been pleased when she'd rejected his advances.

Her nose twitched again, catching a most familiar scent in her most unfamiliar surroundings, her stomach rumbling in answer to the smell. Where ever she was, Scratch was hungry and she could smell fish. In her mind she could imagine the scales of the meat giving way, the white meat within tasting so very good as the blank eyes of the creature looked back at her. Where ever she was there was fish nearby. Her tail flicked behind her as she imagined the fish. Where she was would have to wait till later, now it was time to hunt down the delicious smell.

The creeping cat, looked up.
[/center]

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:54 am
Stablehand

In a different life I could have been beautiful. Once, a man told me that he could see beauty around the hard edges. I laughed in his face, certain that he was drunk or mad, or maybe both. In my eyes I am anything but beautiful. Yes, I drew stares but not for my auburn hair or piercing green eyes. No the looks that follow me are the stares of those who do not know what to say or how to act around a one-armed woman.

People are strange in that way. They stare unable to tear their eyes away from my useless stump. Most act like children who are caught stealing sweets when their gaze meets mine and like embarrassed children they quickly run away, usually in the opposite direction. That doesn’t really bother me though, such people are insensitive, and I prefer the lonely life of an amputee to the shallowness of people who put so much stock in two good arms.

There is yet another group of people out there that disgusted me. This particular group makes my blood to boil and on more than one occasion I have been tempted to forget my peaceful life and kill the bastards where they stand. These are the people who felt sorry for me and attempt to do things to help the “poor pathetic girl”. It is almost disturbing. I once asked one such woman what exactly she thought I had done for the sixteen years prior to her “helpful” intervention. That was the last time she offered to help me. I mean the whole thing was ridiculous. She was old enough to be my grandmother and there she was taking my basket of food from me to carry it home. Yes, my right arm is useless but it has been useless since I was born. I’ve adapted, and quite well I might add. I’ve never known what it is to have two good arms. With only my papa and I it was necessary for me to adjust very quickly.

I was the woman of the house even before I could reach the pot over the fireplace on my own two feet. Papa made me a special stool with a sling so that I could I carry it around the house without tying up my good arm. Papa has always been good about that kind of stuff. Well he was good about it before his eyesight failed him. Now, he mostly just sits at the table, his cloudy eyes staring at nothing. I tried to get him to come with me today, but he refused as he always does. He says that it’s hard enough for me to go to the market as it is and dragging the old blind man around would only burden me further. He’s been like that here lately though. So down on himself, I just don’t know what to do with him. I think that while I’m at the market today I’ll try and find him something special. Something that he can appreciate without his vision.

My steps lighten and I smile slightly at the thought of being able to do something special for my Papa to bring him out of his misery.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:52 am
Stablehand

He had been awake for hours, as the fish wouldn’t catch themselves. Leaving his quarters as soon at the first sight of sunrise he had bustled down to the banks of a nearby stream. The water flowed clear from down the mountain and this stream eventually ended up flowing into the lake. Not many were aware of this particular spot, and he was always guaranteed a bountiful catch.

This way of life was somewhat different from the hustle of running the Daffodil Palace; the peaceful morning spent on the banks was a different world to the shouting and exuberance of a dozen drunken soldiers. He had enjoyed his time there greatly, but the Inn had fell upon hard times and it was now time to relax and use his fishing skills to bring in some much-needed gold. Theo wasn’t getting any younger after all.

His equipment was crude but effective, the reel he used was years old and had been handed down through his family but it worked as well today as it did the day it was made. His catch was always varied, some bigger species were snapped up immediately but it was rare for him to be left with anything when the sun disappeared over the horizon.

Theo enjoyed the walk from the stream to Redanga. Familiar faces and wide smiles always greeted his arrival, as the residents of the Mist were always keen for their daily supply of fresh fish. He was lucky enough to be the only one trading fish at Redanga and although he was never overburdened with riches he could now lead a comfortable existence.

Gazing across to his nearest neighbour Makado he could feel his mocking stare falling upon himself and his stall. He didn’t care much for the rogue but they could on occasions exchange the odd pleasantry. Something glistening had caught his eye on Makado’s stall. He couldn’t quite make out what it was but it looked special, and knowing Makado it could have came from anywhere.

His fish was all neatly displayed on slabs of white ice. With his arms folded and huddled inside his warm robe he awaited custom.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:49 am
Stablehand

The ten foot tall ebon demon had had little intention of shopping in the little town he now passed. Infact he wasn't even going to enter the place, but that was before Max had decided to run off. Seconds before Venorik and Max, his two-head hound had been walking along peacfully. Then Max had stopped his dual heads sniff at the air. With a twin howl the hound had set off running for the town and seemed to be heading straight for the market.

So that was how Venorik found himself now runnig. As he chased the dog that also happened to be his best friend. As he ran the demons leathery wings streamed from his back like a great black cloak of living flesh. Claws bite into the ground as he move tossing up little bites of earth. His double horned head following Max. The pupil-less swirl orbs of crimson that where his eyes always trained on the dog.

"What do you think you are doing? Get back here you! Why if I get my hands on you, your entrails will be over half his market!"

Venorik cursed as he chased after the dog. All his threats where empty of course for he would never to anything to hurt his friend and the hound knew it. Max just continued to run and he barked almost as if mocking the demon as one of his heads turned to look back at the demon. Max ran into the market soon dissappearing from sight. Venorik growled to himself and then stopped dead almost bowling over a young women. The large demon's face soften at once as he looked down at her.

"I'm sorry, my lady. I'm just trying to locate my dog. You didn't see which away he went did you? Nevermind I hear him now. Good day, prehaps we shall meet again."

Venorik said as he heard Max barking from close by. He moved off again leaving the young women behind. As he past her he notice she was without one arm though his hardly phased the demon. In his immortal life he had often seen more then he cared to remember. Rounding a corner he at last saw Max. The hound seemed to have something cornered. Venorik walked over to investigate. What he saw was a small rather beaten up looking cat. Luckly the dog hadn't gotten near it yet.

"This it what you ran all the way here for? a CAT!!! Leave that thing alone I wont have you killing somebody's pet. I mean look at the thing it would hardly make a good meal, far too skinny. No get back here. I mean NOW!"

The demon said to the dog. With a little whimper Max returned to his master's side. Venorik moved forward to make sure the cat and not been hurt. He bent down picking the thing up with a clawed hand. He hardly cared if it scratched at him his thick black hide would protect him. Infact the only thing the demon wore was a wolf's hide loincloth and a great crimson sword straped to his back seven feet long. He looked at the cat his spiked tail swaying slowly behind him.

"Well you seem okay? You do look hungry though. How about I get you some food for your trouble? I do believe I saw a fish stand back there when I was chasing this infernal dog."

Venorik place the cat lightly on one of his broad shoulders. He knew it would know what he had said to it. Just as Max could understand his masters everyword. Then he turn looking around trying to remember just where that fish stand had been.

Dogs

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:24 pm
Stablehand

What was this? A two-headed dog? Scratch hissed, her ears laying flat against her skull, her claws extending, ready to defend herself against her race's natural foe. Though the place where she found herself was not home she still knew better than to go down without a fight. In Ran'Kur she had never backed down from a fight, not with other cats and she was most certainly not going to play prey to a [i]dog[/], no matter how many heads it had. Leash and master, collar and home, she purred in cat-tongue, Poor pup has forgotten the wild while the children of the moons run free. It was a usual insult of cats to dogs in her city, suggesting that the felines were free while the dogs were forced to obey their masters. The dogs of Ran'Kur had always hated it, but of course the two-headed creature in front of her was no dog of that city. Or at least she could not remember having ever heard of one like it on her prowls through the city.

Before Scratch had the chance to speak further the dog backed off and she herself was picked up in a vast clawed hand. She lashed out with her own little claws but to no obvious benefit, her captor didn't seem at all bothered at her little attacks. This was not what usually happened, not at all. Usually if anyone was silly enough to pick up Scratch they would drop her just as quickly when they felt the sting of her claws or the bit of her teeth. The two-legs of Ran'Kur had never wanted to keep hold of a scratching, vicious ball of fur. No they'd just drop her back to the ground, holding their hands to stop any bleeding while she darted off out of the way.

This two-leg was different though, very different.

Different enough that she could understand his speech, something that had never happened to her before. Of course she had often just the jist of what a two-leg was saying when they wer chasing her away with broom or bucket, that wasn't diffiult to get. But with this one she understood the words themselves. It was a strange type of speech to her way of thinking, very strange, not at all how a cat would speak, it was more akin to the tongue that the house-cats that she had often teased spoke. It was full of that strange word 'I', a word not known in her cat-tongue, a word not used at all by them. The speech of the alley-cats was more akin to their truly wild ancestors, to the lions and the leopards that they claimed kinship with. The feral ones spoke as if telling a small part of another tale, as if they were the storytellers in the tale of their own lifetimes. They were proud of their dialect and taught it to their offspring, laughing at all the tamed cats for being reduced to the level where they had forgotten it.

The two-leg speaks, the daughter of the moons understands, a strange state of affairs indeed. Two-leg and cat where never meant to understand the other. The strange, tall two-leg put her up on his shoulder, causing the little alley-cat to grip on tightly with her claws. Of course she had been up high before, she had climbed all over the city of her birth, exploring her domain, finding new sources of food, or just finding ways of getting into the docks without the cat matriach Bitter-Claw finding out. But whenever she hadclimbed so high before it had always been on walls or the like, not on two-legs, not even on things that moved.

Still the two-leg had mentioned fish, that she had understood without a doubt. Perhaps being carried by a two-leg wasn't so bad if she was going to get some fish out of the deal. She'd just have to hope that none of the cats backat home every found out about it, Scratch knew that she'd never hear the end of it if they found out. They'd call her 'hearth-cat', 'two-leg lover', names that she would never be able to live down. Well she'd just have to make sure that they never found out, besides...there was going to be fish.

[/center]

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:17 am
Stablehand

The thunderous howl of two dogs breaks the quite of the morning. I keep my pace steady as the marketplace is just ahead. A large creature races by me and as I watch the blur of an animal I think I see two heads on one body. A two headed dog! How strange. Seconds later another creature crosses my path, well actually practically runs me over. I look up at the gargantuan man and as I do it is immediately apparent this is no man. This is a creature straight from Hell, taller than my own modest home.

I'm sorry, my lady. I'm just trying to locate my dog. You didn't see which away he went did you? Nevermind I hear him now. Good day, prehaps we shall meet again.

My tongue refuses to work as I look into his odd eyes. They are mesmerizing, terrifying, but mesmerizing nonetheless. I’ve never seen such a creature as he. I point in the direction that the two headed-dog had gone, but the large demon-thing is gone before I can raise my arm and I stand there in shock with my arm extended pointing like an idiot.

I quickly gather myself, bring my arm down, and I look around to see if anyone else has seen the oddities that I have this morning. People are talking and pointing, some in my direction. For once though it seems that my stump is not the subject of interest. Obviously I’m not the only one that been shocked.

Should I continue to the marketplace? That is where the creatures both were headed. Is it safe? The demon-thing had been quite polite and indeed did not knock me down though he could have easily trampled me. I can’t return home yet, I need that hoe to do my work this morning, and there is still Papa’s gift to brighten his day. Perhaps the two creatures will breeze through the market just as quickly as they breezed by me.

I continue toward the marketplace and almost immediately see the two-headed dog and his demon master. The demon now has a scraggly little cat perched upon his shoulder, quite a sight to be sure. Today, at least I will not be the subject of attention. Can this day get any stranger?

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:12 pm
Stablehand

Venorik continued to walk looking for the fish stand he had rushed by earlier. As he walked his mind wandered through the ages for he had lived years untold. He was an oddity even amoung demon-kind. He was a chaos demon, of the true chaos-born. He was not evil as where most of his demonic brethren, but neither was he good. He had but one purpose and that was to spread chaos, though this often took on tasks that others could not understand. For they saw chaos on only one dimension and he could look upon it in all its glory. As such Venorik was both a bane and a blessing upon his land.

Many would talk of him though they didn't know it was he they spoke of. Whispers would run through towns of glowing eyes in the dark, of a great beast the would leave none alive and devour your mortal soul. Also rumors would spread of a dark angel, I great fearsome being, one whos frightening visage was to scare his foes. For he had saved wayward bands here or an Innocent young girl there. Only to dissappear from whence he came without word or looking for a reward. Surely the gods sent such a being to help them or so many a peasants thought and many prayed to keep him safe. Venorik found it all rather amusing. For he was all that they would claim beast and angel. Yet truelly he at the same time he was neither. For to be one thing would be order but to be an ever change thing was to take chaos with you wherever you strode.

The demon turned his head slightly looking at the cat on this shoulder with one crimson eye swirling. His eyes meet with the cats as they swirled softly, invitingly. To draw the looker into their depths and lost within those crimson swirls one could learn more about Venorik then if they had known him for years. That was if one knew how to look. He smiled at cat displaying rows of sharp pointed teeth. Stark white they seemed and almost blinding against the demons black skinned lips. He found he liked the cat. Though it had been a long time since he had had a companion other then Max. Even one such has he longed to be around others.

He grinned wider reaching up to give the cat a pet and ruffle its fur. Careful not to cut the small beast with his claws. He kept moving through the market the people parting before him as if he carried the plague it's self with him. Some even pushing others in a struggle to get out of his way. Venorik watched it all quite pleased. For even know he spread chaos, he could feel it all around him. Long ago he had learned that he could spread more chaos within a village by simply walking into and acting civil. Then he ever could by rasing it to the ground. Even know people pointed at him whispering to one another. Their very minds in chaos as they jumped from one unanswerd question to another. For who had the answers but the demon himself and none would dare ask him. Not to mention the physical chaos around him as people struggled to get out of his way.

The whole time Max skulked behind his master brooding, maybe even a little jealous of the cat now perched on his shoulder. Why it had called him a slave. What a thought, thought the hound. For Venorik was not truelly his master they were like brothers. Yet he still listened to the demon at times for to raise his ire was ill advised. Venorik watched the cat amusement apparent in his eyes. She had referred to him as a "two-leg" and yet at all times he was not such a thing. For he could walk on all fours if he wished bring him greater speed across land and improved agility. Mostly he like to stay a "two-leg" though. He was more impossing as such and most beings he interacted with were of that kind.

At last Venorik located the fish stand and he walked toward it looking down at the merchant's goods on blocks on ice. He glanced at the cat out of the corner of his eyes flexing his clawed hands. He gazed down at the merchant from his ten foot height his crimson eyes ever swirling.

"Good day, my good sir. It seems you have a fine collection of fresh fish. I would have some for my friend here."

Venorik said as he thought. Friend? He did not even know the cats name. This would simply would not do. For how could you have a friend and yet not know their name? Venorik rubbed a shiny ebon horn in puzzlement his claws lightly grazing it. He turn to look at he cat as best he could.

"I'm Venorik, demon lord. Who might you be my furry little friend? By the way you may pick any fish you like here. Just let it be known and it shall be yours."

Venorik said as he return his gaze upon the merchant. Waiting to see how the cat would answer. A slight breeze blow teasing the wings folded against his back and sending ripples up through them.

Dogs

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:23 pm
Stablehand

Scratch gripped tightly with her claws as the strange two-leg carried her through the marketplace. She couldn't help but notice how the other, smaller two-legs kept out of his way, some pointing or whispering, their eyes flitting towards him at times. Were they afraid of him because he was bigger than they were? Or perhaps it was because he looked different to them? Though the feral stray could not claim to even begin to understand much about the two-legs or the way their minds worked still she could recognise the confusion in the others faces. It was not at all how her kind would have reacted to a new one in their midst, especially not one who was bigger or who might be more powerful. If another cat had apepared in her territory back in the city of Ran'Kur then she would have sought them out, trying to protect the streets that she claimed as her own. She would have puffed up her fur and readied herself for a fight, not meowed from the shadows about the newcomer.

Her territory in Ran'Kur...what had happened to it since she had disappeared? It was a good area of the city and her disappearance from its routes would not have gone unnoticed for long. No doubt some younger cat had already moved in, seeking to claim it for themselves, probbaly thinking Scratch dead. Cats weren't going to just leave prime territory like that be left unattended for long, not when it had so many hunting grounds within it, places where a cat might find vermin to catch. And there had been the place where a two-leg had kept fish, trading it to other two-legs for shiny pieces of metal. Oh that had been a wonderful place where she had always been able to find a meal if she was careful. But now some other cat had probably taken her place, strutting about her home, eating her prey.

And yet however much the thought annoyed Scratch what could she do about it? She had no idea how far she was from Ran'Kur or even what direction it lay in, she was lost it was as simple as that. The alley-cat might fear what would happen should the cats of her home see her being carried by a two-leg but how would they ever find that out when she had no idea where she was? Her territory was far away, the place she had found herself in didn't even smell the same as home had. So it didn't matter how much the loss of her territory annoyed her, she had no way of getting home, no way of defending it from afar. All she could do was try to survive and hope that eventually she would make her way home. Only when she was back within the walls of Ran'Kur would she finally allow herself to thinking on the matter of retaking the streets that were rightfully hers.

Scratch looked down from the demon's shoulder to the two-headed dog that followed him along, allowing herself a little smile. As she did so she noticed for the first time that the two-leg had wings...wings!, she had never seen a two-leg with such things before. Wings were for birds, wings were for flying, two-legs never needed that kind of thing, or at least none of the twp-leg she had ever seen had. They had been carried around by wooden contraptions and by horses, all that she had seen, but never had she seen a two-leg with wings. Exactly what kind of two-leg was he? He walked like the others but was far larger, had wings like a bird and horns too. The only two-legs she had ever seen with horns had not at all been like this one that now carried her and promised her fish.

She looked at him curiously as he reached up and ruffled her fur, his eyes meeting hers, wondering exactly what kind of two-leg he was. Perhaps he had some kind of two-leg magic used on him, she'd heard about that kind of thing from the elder cat Cracked-Tooth, back in Ran'Kur. Cracked-Tooth had known all about the two-legs magic, some even whispered behind his back that he had once owned some kind of two-leg witch. She turned her attention away from memories of old friends back in the city, looking into the two-leg's eyes. Eyes like a snake, not in how they looked but rather in the feeling that they gave her, the feeling of almost being drawn into their depths. She'd heard of snakes mesmerising their prey, looking deep into their eyes, the prey falling head over heels into those bottomless depths. Again the question reverberated through her mind; what was this strange two-leg?

The strong scent of fish danced through the air, causing her mouth to water and her stomach to growl, complaining that it had been too long since it had last been fed. Her tail twitched from side to side, seeming to take on a life of its own as she looked down at the fish and then towards the two-leg. The moon mothers called her Scratch when the black cat first danced in their beams, she said in her own tongue, still confused by how the two-leg-Venorik could understand her and how she could understand him. Perhaps he was some kind of elder of the two-legs and therefore wise in the ways of other races, maybe that was why the others looked at him so fearfully.

She looked down at the fish laying upon their icy beds, she had known ice before, cold stuff that threatened to freeze to her whiskers in the coldest weathers. They sleep now on ice where once they danced in water, food for two-legs and four-legs alike. But she would choose the grey-scaled dancer of the water to quiet her stomach's growls.

[/center]

Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:13 am
Stablehand

Venorik looked down at the fish thinking as he watched their dead forms and listened to the cat. He wrinkled his nose slightly as he studied the fish. For he prefered his food to be living, still writhing in his grasp as he took the frist bites of warm flesh from his prey. He ran his deep purple forked tongue over his lips as he thought of this, savoring the imagined kill. His tail twitched excitedly behind him the spikes on the end gleaming in the light. He shook his head slightly returning his mind to the task at hand.

"It seems we will take one of the grey ones. Whatever they might be for I have studied fished little myself. How much will that be?"

Venorik inquired of the fish merchant. He looked around at the other merchant stands as he waited doubting they would have anything that would interest a demon. He would have to get Max some food too he thought, for he didn't want the dog getting to jealous of the cat. Then he might not beable to stop him from attacking it so easily. Not that he minded the prospect for the ensuing ruckus would cause more chaos. Yet he found he like the little cat called Scratch and he didn't want it to get hurt. Which was rather likely if the let that happen. So he what have to be content with keeping that cat safe for now.

He thought he saw the young lady he had almost ran over earlier for a second but then she was lost in the crowd. He wondered how it had come to be that one so young had lost a limb. Then again it really wasn't to surpise for this was a time of war. Often even childern where not safe from the many war bands of the land. Maybe he would seek her out later too find out. For he had decide he would stay in this town for a while, what else did he truelly have to do. He thought about it for a second and decided against inquiring about her missing limb. For he was sure that he would be annoyed if someone asked him such questions. Not because of the question its self, but because surely very one would ask the same question. After a time anyone would be annoyed at such. Yet still he decide that at sometime he would seek her out. Just so he could properly introduce himself to her, after all he had almost ran her over.

The demon flashed Sratch a smile and returned his attention to the merchant before him. He hoped the fish wouldn't be too pricey, not that he didn't have money. It was just that he had brought little with him. The demon did have ways of getting more coins if he need them though.

Dogs

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:46 pm
Stablehand

The days were passing, and Ginger was still walking on to a destination unknown to her. She wasn't quite sure what she was doing. All that she did know, was that she could no longer hide in the temple any longer, and that she needed to find something to take away the shame and guilt that she could not shake. This was how she was here... walking towards a small town and knowing that she would walk straight through it, and possibly never know its name. For some reason, she figured that she would know in an instant what it was that would take away the memories and disappointment.

As the town had grown closer, Ginger saw the marketplace. She looked down at her feet and the blisters that she imagined seeing through the leather straps. Ginger let her eyes wander back to the marketplace, pondering whether or not to take the time to look around. She tilted her head slightly, amused at herself. It wasn't like she had anywhere else to go, and she was in no rush to figure out what to do with herself.

Smiling, Ginger walked slowly into the marketplace, letting her eyes gaze upon the stalls and the wares. She let her hand slide into the pouch, worn at her waist, and felt around for the amount of coin left there. She frowned; It was nearly empty and she really could have done with some new footwear. She sighed and settled herself down to just look unless she saw anything she could use as a bargaining tool.

Folding her arms across her chest, Ginger trudged along past stall after stall, every now and again remembering the time she could have afforded the wares on display. A smile tugged at her lips as she recalled the last time she had visited a market. If she recalled it correctly, it had resulted in her having to pay five traders for the damage to their goods... and that was the last time she had let any of her old friends out of her sight after the morning in the taverns. But that had been long ago now... and the friends all gone. Ginger actually smiled as she came across a violinist playing. She watched him a while, her fingers delving into her pouch again, pondering if there was anything at all she could afford, or whether, like the violinist, she would have to use any of her own talents to earn a few more coin before continuing on.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:35 am
Stablehand

His eyes shifted quickly around the market square for the appalling weather had been troubling him for some days now. Today it was colder as opposed to being wet which provided some rest bite at least. Makado was wrapt head to toe with three shawls, and hood covered his head and face where only his beady, sneaky looking pupils could be seen. He couldn’t afford time away from the stall due to illness so the attire was essential, even if it did annoy him greatly.

Trade had been steady, but not spectacular mainly due to the weather. The night before last he had acquired twenty gold pieces from a band of rather well watered footmen, how he in fact got his grubby mitts on their earned coinage was still a mystery to him but he wasn’t worried, it provided more than sufficient to provide himself with some rather splendid pheasant feather flights for his new set of darts.

The hubbub of the square was distracting him too; a rather loud Jester was entertaining a small bunch of well-dressed passers by with some raucous jokes combined with some juggling. What the aged fool thought he looked like was another question, he was clearly far to old to be throwing himself around in such a jolly manor but the group seem suitably entertained enough to part with gold. His beady eyes very rarely missed the flash of gold, especially in the morning.

And now what was this! A feline all alone. There were plenty of strays and such like that kicked around the market causing trouble wherever they went, but this particular one appeared to be different from the rest. It sat content, staring up in the direction of Theo’s fish stall.

Fish! Of course our feline friend is hungry and in search of one of Theo’s finest catches.

The old fool was too busy chattering to notice and now he willed the feline to make the leap and remove him of one of his most prized catches. He smirked and waited with anticipation for there was little else to occupy his energetic mind.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:59 pm
Stablehand

He gave way to an uneasy smile for the demon creature was making him feel a little uneasy. Gazing upwards he squeaked out a rather nervous response.

The is one of my finest catches today Sir, for you one gold crown would be more than sufficient

Theo gazed patiently and awaited a response. He hoped one gold crown wouldn’t be considered as too much, he had toiled long and hard to ensure he netted this particular fish and that always added a little extra to the price.

The square was not particularly busy, maybe it was the weather that had prevented the locals from turning out this morning or maybe the nearby festival had drawn people away from Redanga.

Staring down at mosaic floor of the market square it was obvious it had seen better days. He pondered to think about the many dozens of people that had passed over it, and the many transactions that had taken place over the years. Theo could remember terrorizing stallholders when he was a youth, the market it seems had been here for years, it would take more than a few slow days to put it out of business.

Well at least he had one customer, it seemed the sly Makado hadn’t shifted any of his dodgy merchandise all day long. He smirked as if roles were revered the shifty character wouldn’t hesitate in mocking his own selling efforts. Swaying to one to see around the huge demon he now looked further across to see where the noise was coming from, and their before his eyes was Belfad, the foolhardy Jester.

Bloody Hell, that fool will scare any potential customers, I hope he doesn’t come over here.

Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:26 pm
Stablehand

He had scoured the vale of Ka tet, seeking any sign of his kin. When none was present, he broadened his search to the surrounding mountains and beyond. Another dawn had revealed the traders town, below him.
Slinging his bow across his back with his elkskin robe and quiver, he descended into the sleeping village.

He wandered the streets of aimlessly and alone. His family scattered to the four winds, Yiska was but a shell of a man, nursing hatred and hoplessness equally in his hollow breast. His dark eyes which had once burned bright in his quest for knowledge and understanding, now gazed coldly at all they fell upon.

As morning waned into afternoon, Yiska found himself standing before the stall of a fishmonger, who appeared to be engaging in some sort of transaction with a rather large demon. Approaching the stall, Yiska inquired in a worn, hoarse emotionless voice.

Pray, what is the name of this town, and is there work to be had here? I can track, scout and my arrows fly true. Is there need of a hunter? Or perhaps an arena where I might compete?

He hoped to earn enough coin for ships passage to Madral. He knew Fahd would employ his sword and bow and pay handsomely. There was nothing left for him hereabouts. At least as a hired blade, he could fall in battle, rather than die of grief.

Ka-tet

Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:24 am
Stablehand

The kitchen was warm and cosy, and had a real homely feeling about it. I sat at the table amidst the breakfast dishes as I talked to my companion. My old, faithful hound sat at my feet as we discussed and planned the meals for the day.

When I was in the Redanga markets yesterday I saw a Fish Trader. His produce looked fresh. How does that sound for our evening meal Miss, Catherine suggested.

Hmm I thought, That sounds nice Catherine, we could perhaps get some vegetable to help supplement what we draw from the garden. I wonder if we will find any of those exotic fruits we had the last time we went to the markets. What were they called again?

I don't now Miss, came Catherine's reply, but I will certainly keep an eye out for them.

I got up from the table and began to clear it taking the dirty dishes to the sink. Catherine fetched the boiling water and poured it onto the dishes. We let them soak for a while, as we cleared the remaining breakfast remains from the table.

It did not take too long to complete the morning chores and after a quick change into clothes more suitable for a young lady to be seen in public, I waited in the foyer for Catherine to join me.

Remus despite his age bounded in excitement and I chuckled quietly to myself as I called him to me. He licked my face as I crouched to put his special harness on him. I took the time to ruffle the fur on his head and pat him affectionately on his solid shoulder.

I heard Catherine approach, Are you ready Miss? I nodded my assent and grasped the dogs harness. The air outside the house was cool and fresh and lightly scented with the perfume of the lavender that grew in the front garden. Out the gate we turned to the left and walked down the street towards the markets.

As we approached the markets the streets got busier with people as they came and went, hawking their wares. Catherine stayed close and for this I was grateful as crowded places still scared me terribly. She led me quickly towards the stall owned by the Fish Trader. I think I could have found it on my own as fish has an aroma of its own, .. Even fresh fish!

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:17 am
Stablehand

Yiska surveyed the milling throng of the marketplace, and felt the ache of lonliness. Perhaps he had been a fool to enter this town at all. Perhaps he would have fared better had he continued to shun the contact of others and remained in the forested mountains. As he mused over his misgivings, he spied the lady and her companion who approached the same market stall he stood before. Yiska bowed slightly to the pair.

Ladies, I bid you hello. It is truly a fine day indeed when such grace and beauty shines upon me, even in passing.

He smiled, briefly, before realizing his forward manner may have offended them.

Pray accept my apologies if I have been rude or otherwise displeased you. My tongue wags oft times quicker than my mind is able to contain.

Ka-tet

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:59 pm
Stablehand

That fish smells very fresh Catherine I can smell it from here, I said. At the same time I was thinking about how it could be prepared for the evening meal. It was while I was contemplating dinner that I became aware of another smell in the market. It was an unusual exotic odour and I was sure it was the smell of the fruit that Catherine and I had talked about earlier.

I was about to mention to her when we arrived at the Fish stall. Intent upon finding the freshest fish I did not hear the gentleman as he addressed us. I was chatting away to Catherine and it wasn't until she didn't reply that I became aware that her attention was elsewhere.

Feeling in a somewhat mischievous mood I deliberately bumped Catherine in the direction from which the voice had come, pushing her off balance and I prayed into his arms. I smirked as I pretended to continue my search for the freshest fish.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:10 am
Stablehand

Yiska instinctively raised his arms and caught the jostled woman. As she reagined her balance, he thought he noticed a blush cross her cheeks, and quickly released his gentle grasp about her slender waist.

Feeling his own face flush, he lowered his gaze and studied the cobblestones for a moment or two before speaking.

A thousand pardons, My Lady. I meant no disrespect. I would never presume to place my hands upon you otherwise, but it would not have done for you to take a tumble. I trust you've not turned an ankle?

He raised his eyes to the woman, and summoned a rueful grin praying her gaze would meet his and fearing it would in the same moment. He cursed his foolish tongue for not speaking more eloquently, and debated dashing through the crowd and away from the market.

Once he had been a leader of men, an orator and statesman. Now his words came only with great effort, his heart and mind questioning each and every syllable.

Ka-tet

Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:29 pm
Stablehand

It was a lovely morning and the markets were as busy as they always were. The fish trader was set up in exactly the same position, as he was every day. There were a few people clustered around or near the stall and they all appeared to be involved in their own needs, so it was quite a surprise when a gentleman who introduced himself as Yiska stepped forward.

He was bold and up front and yet at the same time he certainly didn't look like he was totally comfortable in the market surroundings. He had a wistful look about him as if he wanted to really be somewhere else. I wondered where that might be.

Miss Alicia was involved with identifying and selecting the fish and as always talking ten to the dozen. Well, maybe not ten to the dozen but she talks a lot. I was totally unprepared for the shove I received from her that set me off balance and grasping at the nearest available thing to break my fall. That nearest available thing happened to be the Gentleman Yiska.

I felt a warm heat rise as a flush passed across my face and as I glanced from beneath my lashes mumbling my apologies and thinking how I would be having stern words with Miss Alicia. I noticed that the gentleman flushed and lowered his eyes as he spoke. A thousand pardons, My Lady. I meant no disrespect. I would never presume to place my hands upon you otherwise, but it would not have done for you to take a tumble. I trust you've not turned an ankle?

He looked more like a scared rabbit as he spoke, I smiled at him and hoped that it would make him feel more at ease, before I went on to speak. Nay Sir it is I that should be apologising for my clumsiness. I should be more attentive to where I am going; I turned and glowered at Alicia. Not that she saw it but she would have heard the inflection in my voice that indicated my displeasure at being so embarrassed. I turned again to the gentleman. Truly Sir I am grateful you were there to catch me and no I lifted my skirt just enough to inspect my shoed foot. I moved it to check it still worked, no it appears to be all right, thank you again.

I didn't really know what more to say. Just as I was about to make my excuses to get away Alicia whispered in my ear. Invite him to dinner. I looked aghast and I hissed back at her. I can't do that that would be most inappropriate Miss. Oh to heck with appropriateness Catherine, invite him to dinner. If you wont I will.

Returning my attention again to the gentleman, Sir Miss Alicia has insisted that I extend to you an invitation to join us at our evening meal. I would certainly understand Sir if you decline for I'm sure you have your own business to attend to. I blushed again under the intensity of his gaze.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:33 pm