It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Bored Soldiers and the Pit of Enjoyment (Open) 
Stablehand

Post Bored Soldiers and the Pit of Enjoyment (Open)
Flare had spent the morning at her desk in a vain attempt to quell the rising tide of paperwork that seemed to accumulate overnight. She was relieved when she heard the quiet unassuming knock of her chamberlain at the door. At that point she would have welcomed any interruption. The fact that she absolutely adored the man was a bonus.

May I enter Your Grace? Something was wrong. His voice was too high, his speech too fast. Flare sighed and braced herself for the latest disaster.

Of Course you may Mitchell. And for the love of Darden call me Flare. She added uselessly. She knew that her chamberlain would do no such thing. To him, calling her by her first name would be the moral equivalent to dressing in women's clothing.

She was genuinely alarmed when she saw the man. His normally well-groomed hair was almost standing on end. Dust covered his clothing and he was perspiring heavily. He didn't wait for her to greet him properly before he spoke.

It's done! It's finally done!

Flare suddenly felt a weight lifted from her shoulders. No one was dead; there had been no invasion, no plague, or any other disaster to deal with. She had known for weeks that her men were planning a surprise for her to celebrate their latest victory. It seems they had finally completed it.

Well then Mitchell, take me to see it. I trust that's why you are here.

Of course Your Grace. I will have your horse saddled and we will be on our way within the hour. As the man sprang out the door, flare was forced to stifle a laugh. She had never seen this usually quiet and reserved man like this. He was almost giddy. She felt the first stirrings of anticipation. If it excited Mitchell this must it must be impressive.

Mitchell was as good to his word as ever and within a half an hour they were mounted and riding north through the forest. In three hours she found herself on a high ledge overlooking a part of her newly acquired territory that she had never explored before. She stared down in wonder. Below her several hundred of her troops were gathered around what appeared to be a massive hole in the ground. By her best estimation the hole was two hundred feet long and forty feet wide. It appeared to be quite shallow in comparison, at most five feet deep.

What do you think? Mitchell was staring at her obviously expecting a comment.

It's a big hole.

Her chamberlain looked crestfallen. Flare quickly searched for something more encouraging to say.

Um....It looks very well constructed.

The men are calling it the pit, Your Grace.

Flare nodded.

It is very impressive Mitchell.

Her chamberlain smiled up at her. She was surprised to see that the man was nodding foolishly in agreement. Surely there was something obvious that she was missing. After a few silent moments, Flare decided to risk looking like an idiot.

What is it for?

For the entertainment of the troops of course, Your Grace.

Oh. I see.

They are very excited about it.

I'm sure they are Mitchell. It looks very um exciting. Tell me, what is it that the men are pouring into it.

Ah, said her chamberlain excitedly, that is the best part. It is fruit juice mixed with gelatin um amongst other things.

At last Flare's manners were overcome by curiosity.

Mitchell, why are my soldiers filling a big hole with fruit preserves? Wait a minute......Amongst other things? What other things Mitchell?

Well, M'lady. Mostly strong spirits, although some have taken to adding chunks of melon. And they plan on....well they plan on getting into the pit and sort of swimming around in it why they...em...eat it, Your Grace.

Ahhh...Why is it green Mitchell?

The sorcerers insisted, Your Grace.

The sorcerers are a part of this? I would have thought this kind of thing beneath them.

Why no M,Lady! They have actually agreed to purify the pit frequently to remove certain contaminants.

Contaminants? Oh nevermind Mitchell, I don't think I want to know. Tell me, what is to be my part in this?

Your Grace....the men wish you to...the men wish you to swim with them.

In There?!?! Do you have any idea what that would do to my armor?

The men were hoping you would remove your armor, Your Grace.

Oh, so I am to ruin a good dress instead then?

Actually...erm....Your Grace, A dress was never mentioned.

Flare fixed her chamberlain with a level look. With wisdom born of ages, he stared fixedly at the ground.

We will be the laughing stocks of Tonan when the other's hear of this.

Mitchell moved his eyes from the ground to stare at the sky. Flare inwardly groaned.

When did the invitations go out Mitchell?

This morning Your Grace. We planned the celebration for a week from today.

He actually had the good grace to look embarrassed.

Very well Mitchell. If it's my party then I guess I am forced to attend. I will be wearing the attire that my men have suggested Mitchell, and you will be dressed to match.

Flare turned her horse and rode back into the forest at a full gallop.

Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:24 pm
Stablehand

For hours now the cloth of Rastal’s extravagant bed had encompassed her petit frame, laid out amongst the sheets and blankets. On her right side, facing the lone window in her chambers and her head resting on her arms positioned above her head she paid no heed to the beautiful blue sky and the wisps of clouds that floated by the aperture, nor the small robin that had begun building a nest in the tree that bordered the window. Her mind wandered and thoughts of the times past mingled with daydreams. Her lands were peaceful and had been for many weeks on end, and she had grown weary of the dull comings and goings of everyday long since. Her anxiousness and feeling of tediousness had only grown as more time passed, her domain never having seen such extended periods of amity as they did now.

Rousing herself slowly, her senses slightly sluggish to react after such an extended rest, she paused at the edge of the bed while her eyes and balance readjusted themselves. Once her senses had been regained she stood and stretched her arms out to her sides and examined her appearance in the mirror on the wall opposite to the window, and satisfied that she was at least in somewhat of a presentable state, she stalked out of the room, shutting the door with a familiar creek behind her. Seeking refuge from the silence of her bed room she aimlessly walked down the hall, suddenly becoming aware of the scuffling noise of footsteps moving towards her. From around the corner ahead came one of her closest and longest serving hands, Kendra, a small parchment in her possession, and smile on her face.

“A letter comes to you m’lady, it is from Lady Flare.” Kendra beamed at the last bit, she had been aware of her lady’s recent state and knew what Rastal’s reaction would be. Lady Flare was very dear to Rastal; they had been the closest of friends for quite some time, and it seemed they just clicked together as if meant to be the best of friends by the Darden himself.

Rastal’s face immediately lit up.
”Thank-you so much Kendra.” She took the paper from Kendra’s outstretched hand eagerly.

Kendra stood and watched as Rastal excitedly but most cautiously removed the seal and opened the parchment and read the message, her eyes filling with glee. Squealing aloud Rastal bounced about ecstatically, almost jumping into Kendra’s arms as she wrapped her up in a strong embrace.

”Prepare your things! I’m going on a journey to Lady Flare’s lands, and you’re coming with me!!

Letting go of Kendra, Rastal grinned at her for a moment and then they both spun around and ran back down the hallways they had just travelled, each to her chamber. Rastal had a great deal to do before she was to leave, and the first thing was to pack.

[/center]

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:10 pm
Stablehand

The former leader of the ill-fated Knights of Someplace Else was in the dumps. His Knights had become quickly distracted by the wonders to be found in this place; really, everything was so much more exciting than in Someplace Else. Unfortunately for Sir Loin, this meant that his band was soon gone. Sir Tin, Sir Cumference, Sir Cuss, and others had all gone their own ways, seeking their own adventures. Sir Loin didn't have a clue what to do.

Aimless, he decided to just wander around and see what there was to see. He couldn't return to Someplace Else a failure; he had to do something in these lands worthy of boasting about. He needed to find something incredible enough, something different enough, something strange enough to wow everyone at home, so they'd completely forget about his initial quest and its utter failure. Thus he found himself wandering alone through the lands of some Lady Flare or something -- he no longer bothered to keep track of who owned what. Everybody claimed every track of land they could find, only to lose it to other lords or natural disasters or breaks in the space-time continuum or to unexplainable bouts of utter randomness. It was then, of course that he saw it -- the thing he was looking for.

Excited, Sir Loin ran over for a closer look. He couldn't believe his eyes. This was quite possibly the Greatest Thing EVER. Hiding behind nearby shrubbery, he watched the events unfold before him in quiet awe.

There, not too far ahead of him, were a massive number of soldiers. Before them was the largest man-made hole Sir Loin had ever seen. And into the hole, the troops were pouring some sort of green concoction that smelled strongly of fruit juice and alcohol.

Yep, the Knight thought to himself. Greatest Thing EVER.

Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:24 am
Stablehand

Caylindren walked around the circumference of the...pit. It was certainly big, and the men around it, pouring...whatever it was they were pouring...into the pit seemed to be enjoying themselves muchly. Cayl had only stopped by to see Flare, an ally he rarely had the pleasure of seeing. He wondered if this was what she had spent so many days a nights constructing. Very...interesting. That was the only word that came to his mind.

He wandered around aimlessly, tryign to spot Lady Flare over the heads of those clustered aroudn the pit, but he could not find her. "Oh well, I'll try bacvk another day. Hopefully the stench of this place will ahve died down a bit." Cayl mounted his horse at the far edge of the pit and left the area. He certainly hoped this "pit of enjoyment" would end up being a little more fun the next time he came around.

Second Drinker of Bowl

Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:35 am
Stablehand

It was getting quite late, the moon, about a quarter full, had fully risen and was high above in the sky, glowing brightly except when the occasional cloud lazily made its way across the moon. There was a light breeze, but the night was still warm and actually quite enjoyable, the sounds of the forest were lovely. Owls hooted from amongst the trees, and the leaves rustled lightly in the soft wind. There was the intermittent scurry of a small animal trying to avoid detection by the owls, but other than that, there was silence.

”Should we have made camp?” Rastal broke the extended silence that had befallen the group.

[color=#006633]"Patience, we’re close now, there was no need to make camp again tonight and delay or arrival by another day.”
Kendra’s voice came softly from to Rastal’s right, and Rastal knew she Kendra was right, she was just overly eager, and was becoming worried that their late arrival might disturb Flare’s rest, or at least Mitchell’s. She giggled quietly to herself at the thought of the subdued Mitchell. For reasons unknown to her, she found his submissiveness rather hilarious, though it was common, and expected of servants.

The trees began to thin and the anticipation and excitement rose up in Rastal. They were minutes away. As civilization came into view, starting with a few small homes and quickly progressing into shops and keeps, the smile grew across Rastal’s face. The tiny group rode on towards Lady Flare’s castle, and a wondrous sight it was. A short time later found themselves within the safety of its walls, Rastal was now wide awake, and completely overtaken by the excitement of the antics sure to present themselves in the days to come.

[/center]

Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:40 pm
Stablehand

The lone figure had crested the ridge in the middle of the night, showing her silhouette to the 'lings on sentry detail. Her stumbling form indecipherable even in the glow of the Taradar

Apropos as ordud it be identify n detaind.

Before the words had even left his mouth, Kobolds had scurried from the gatehouse, within a minute, his boys had surrounded the wench and were closing in, appearing as they did from the mouths of the tunnel network. As they drew closer, Dagz could see them relax. Their poise left them, as they obviously recognised their prey. And soon it was apparent they had been noticed by the shambling trespasser.

Flames arced from the sky, flashes of brilliant light blinding and dazzling the kobold guards. Dagz' heart almost stopped, the shock was enough to unsettle a stone.

The bolts flew down and within seconds had engulfed the leading kobolds, in the flashes that covered the moor, the silhouette was emphasized, and given some detail, the robes of an Archmagi flew, billowing in the aftereffect of the concussive reports. It was Rachael! Dagz' head was spinning - an enraged and drunk Rachael! Attacking his own guys!

The kobolds, sent scurrying by the sorcere, had dissapeared, and by the time Dagz had regained full use of eyes, so had the Magi.

Sun May 04, 2003 9:47 am
Stablehand

The Mistress of Sorcere, somewhat sobered by her fray, peered along the obsidian corridor. A devils walkway, one might think.

Bravery, dearest, is not one thing you lack, yet you tremble - for what?

Her Lord's words helped nothing. But the voice, that brought solace to her. The trembling was not one of the body, no staring eye would notice her respiration, let alone the movements of her nerves. Her soul, her self, that shook. The pure lack of control, the self abasement she had gone through, all from a sip!

Great Lady, one wrong does not fail you! You know what acts the men lighten to upon a sip or two. Your body knew not what it did, and your mind knew less. Avoid the stuff, it does little enough good for those with sense and memory. Now go, rest. The War is not over tho the enemy now be weak. Tomorrow you may see harder trials than a rucus at the gates.

So she went, the Mistress of the Sorcere Deimos.

Thu May 08, 2003 8:58 pm
Stablehand

Slipping through the shadows of the dense forest around the edges of the punch bowl, Arma crept closer. Hers approach brought an edge of danger, though the others yet were blissful in their ignorance. Her invitation was sensed, as she always sensed. She had known Flare for millennia, there's was a friendship of honour, and emnity of fierceness. Arma's sense never failed her. It called her to crisi as it called her now to pleasure, and the revellry the night promised could not be missed. Deep in the shadows she bode her time.

Now, she had to hold her breath to a slower rhythm, work her pulse to a steadier beat. All around the devil pit, the woodland crwoded in, but the shadows could betray her, just as they did the others she didn't let escape. She wanted to wait. Her entrance could only be complete if she kept it under her control. She had not seen Flare for many years, this could not go wrong.

Inside her cloak, wrapped close around the curves of her body, Arma held the vial tightly. She brought for Flare a gift, one her sense had told her could not be forgotten. Now was the time for Flare to find it.

Arma's mind projected pictures into the dark forest before her. Her eyes burned in the darkness as she looked towards the promise of the hours to come.

Fri May 09, 2003 6:26 am
Stablehand

Arma gathered around her a small dwelling place, crafted out of the leaves, moss and trees by the two creatures who followed her always; followed her person, her orders and her praises. From the outside it was hidden from sight, merging into the shimmering canopy of the nighttime forest. Inside it was quite luxurious enough for her. Arma slipped in and settled herself down to wait. Flare and Rachael and the others had never been known to rush, even for such excitement, beside she had come early, to watch the proceedings as the bowl was dug out of the earth, and prepared. She had expected to wait. Nothing surprised Arma, she made certain of it. She dismissed her two creatures, who scuttled into the night, while she ate a few berries and wine and let her thoughts and schemes run through her head. She fingered the vial in her pocket. Thinking about the days to come she breather in deeply, her chest heaving, voluptuous in the dark velvet dress she wore. Her eyes glinted in the candle light of the little room, but her face gave away little of what she thought.

Arma's mind began to wander, tentatively into realms of her memory she seldom dared traverse. She thought of the poeple she knew would be coming to the party, she thought of the times she had shared with them before, and of what it would be like to see them all again. This was not only a careless reunion of friends: it couldn't be. So much had come to pass, that would never be possible. Deep in the depths of her memories were happier times they had spent together in Anthor, and the meadows and streams of Shitha, where they had made a beautiful house in the copse of trees in the valley of Drin. She smiled despite herself. Arma had made a choice, and these times could never be hers again. If she let the bitterness come, she might never escape its grip, and then she would be enslaved completely. Now she was free to roam, and she meant never to lose that freedom.

The candle light began to flicker as the wick burnt low and the stars were high in the dark sky, where she glimpsed between the trees. Arma took herself to bed and let the next day rush towards her. She was excited, yet she did not know how it would end.

Sun May 18, 2003 6:19 am