"Open your eyes."

"But I don't want to wake up."

"Open your eyes."

"Go away."

"Open your eyes."

"Leave me alone!"

"OPEN YOUR EYES!"

"NO!"

Screaming her defiance, the small slender woman sat bolt upright, golden eyes open wide and wild. Gasping for air, she looked about in confusion until her sight finally adjusted to the darkness. She was all alone in a cold small room in an inn she stumbled upon almost by accident just a day prior. It wasn't cleanest inn she'd been to in recent days, but it certainly was safer and more comfortable than spending a night camped up in a tree or tucked away in a hollow or cave away from prying eyes and shadowy theives.

Finally getting her bearings straight, Kotori took a deep breath and ran a shaky hand through her long dark green hair. As she did so, she paused in the motion to study the oddly colored strands for what had the be the umpteenth time since she had woken up two weeks ago.

"I wonder when my hair changed its color," she pondered to herself, remembering the long cornsilk golden locks she had once upon a long, long time ago. The witch who had brought her back to life her up didn't stick around long enough to tell her. Granted, though, that was partially Kotori's fault.

For the longest time now, Kotori had been contentedly dead to the world, or so she believed. After losing her lover and the only real home she ever knew with the guild of people who by this time had long since been forgotten, the half-dryad had found herself consumed by loneliness and grief. Having nothing left to live for, she ended it all, setting fire to the last vestiges of the tree that was her connection to her dryad's bloodline and taking a deadly poison to sever her human one. Both of those things should have been quite effective in killing the young woman.

She found out two weeks ago that she was quite mistaken.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:15 pm
Stablehand

Two weeks ago was when it all started again.

For the longest time there had been nothing but darkness and silence. Kotori had welcomed both, curling up in the cold blackness as if she were wrapping herself up in a warm comforter. She may have died lonely and heartbroken, but at least here in the void deprived of light and life her soul had found a sort of peace and she could forget her pain.

Then, one day, the silence was broken by a quiet voice whispering three simple words.

"Open your eyes."

The soft voice that would have been barely audible under normal circumstances was practically deafening in the dark place where there had been no sound before. It caused Kotori's soul to stir uncomfortably and she struggled against its gentle repetative command.

"Leave me alone. I don't want to wake up."

But the voice persisted, and Kotori fought harder. Little did she know, however, that the harder she struggled the closer she brought herself to wakefulness. She didn't realize this until it was too late, and before she could dive back into the heart of the void once more the darkness shattered around her with a blindingly painful white light.

"Open your eyes."

Kotori came back to the world of the living screaming at the horror of living again. The pain of life tore at her soul as she found herself once again in a warm body full of breath and blood with a steadily beating heart pounding like a jackhammer in her chest. All these nearly forgotten sensations made new again were absolutely terrifying, and she swore for a moment there that she would go completely out of her mind.

"Welcome back, daughter of willows."

Hearing the familiar voice, Kotori whipped her head around and locked her gaze on its source, almost grateful to have something to focus on other than the torturous sensations of her living body. She stared wide eyed at the wizened old woman sitting beside her bed.

The wrinkled crone looked as old as time itself, so deep were the wrinkles in her skin and so long was her stark white hair. Her crystaline blue eyes, however, were as bright and young and full of life as that of yearling child. She watched Kotori with undisguised amusement, which quickly worked on the reborn dryad's tattered nerves.

"Who are you? What have you done?" she asked the witch venomously.

"It has been a long time since you have walked the world. I was told it was time for you to wake up."

Kotori glared daggers at her, her golden eyes glowing full of deadly promise. "How dare you?! How dare you bring me back to a world I never wanted to walk again?!"

The old woman shrugged her narrow shoulders. "I'm just doing as I was told:

'Bring the body of the daughter of willows back to the forest of her birth. Bring her soul back to its home and give her all she needs to start her journey.'

"That is what I was told, and that is what I have done. Now you should listen carefully, for the world has changed quite a bit since--"

"Get out."

Kotori's voice was barely a whisper as she cut off the now very much hated witch's words.

"But daughter of willows, you need to know this if you are--"

The golden eyed dryad was now shrieking like a hysterical banshee at the top of her lungs as tears coursed down her face. "Get the bloody fuck out of my sight! I will not suffer your presence a moment longer! Get out! Get out! Get out! Or I promise, by the fury of the gods, I will rip you apart and hand feed your dry withered bones to the vultures!" Her screams dissolved into painful brokenhearted sobs that shook her body as she buried her face in her hands.

Dispassionately, the old witch watched her go through her tirade, then sighed and rose to her feet. "Everything you need to start your journey is here in this cottage, except for information. You will have to endure that pointed absence on your own. Good luck, daughter of willows. You will most certainly need it."

Somewhere in Kotori's scattered mind, a small grain of rational curiosity worked its way past her hysteria. "No... Wait... Why--?" She brought her face out of her hands and looked to the witch...

...Only to find that there was no one there. The crone was gone, as if she had never been there in the first place. Panicked, Kotori slid of the bed and went through every room of the small stone cottage she found herself in. Her frantic search proved futile, though, as there was no sign of the witch whatsoever. Aside from a few wrapped packages sitting on a table in the kitchen, and a few changes of clothing folded in a neat stack on a chair beside her bed, there was no sign that anyone had been living in the place in years. Not even the thick dust on the floor looked like it had been disturbed, save for Kotori's own footprints.

Weaving her fingers tightly into her wild unkempt hair, Kotori shook her head and sank to the floor in shock. "Why? Why is this happening? Why was I brought back to this world?"

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:15 pm
Stablehand

It is said that the hours between midnight and morning are enchanted with the breath of the gods. When the bitter winds of nightfall rage down empty city streets, it is then that the world truly comes to life.

~

A tiny insect croons its mournful song from the safety of its nest. The first sliver of sunlight dances across the paved tiles of the town square and casts a shadow of its central figure. An exquisitely carved statue of a woman stands on a short pedestal above the still waters of an exposed well. Ivy and moss grow over her massive wings and hide the weathered stump where her left arm should be.

~

With the patience of the ages, the statue begins to sway slightly. It lowers its right arm into the water and breaks the surface with only the tiniest ripples. The foliage at the base uncurls itself from around her feet and the woman's solemn face spreads into a knowing smile. She steadily lifts her body from its place and arches her back to land on the other side of the water. Her feet make a soft grating sound of stone against stone as she lands.

A sentience from the earth itself nudges the edge of her consciousness. There is something amiss; something that is not to be.

But it is.

The stone woman waits motionless in the square, hoping for a clearer explanation to reveal its secrets to her.

~

To the eyes of the un-enchanted who wake early on this morning, they find their familiar water fountain undisturbed. The statue at its centre stands as it always has, a symbol of solidarity for every citizen of the town.

The gods protect those who are not yet prepared for this truth.

Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:18 am