It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Where to begin? - Hidden 
Stablehand

Post Where to begin? - Hidden
Where to begin? That is a question that has plagued me as I have sat and tried to write this for many a day. Though I suppose that where to begin is not truly the correct question. More to the point is when to begin. Or rather, when did it all begin. The answer for that, I fear, is something that I do not know, nor can ever know.

The reason for this is simple in that actions and events, and yes conspiracies, have been in motion since long before my birth into this world. For that matter, and this is only my opinion, some of the same actions and events, and yes conspiracies, have been occuring since the earliest people began interacting with each other.

I suppose that the best I can do is to simply tell of myself and allow others to do the same. For if one of us attempts to tell too broad of a story myth and fact will become intertwined and leave no room for anything resembling truth. This is not necessarily bad in and of itself. It does however run contrary to what I am currently desiring to do.

My name is Coniuratus. Well, actually that isn't my name. Or rather that is neither the name I was born with, nor use in my day to day existance. It is however the name that best describes my essence, or reason for existance, so it is the name that I shall be using. I was born thirty some odd years ago. I consider the exact number irrelevent as I have no memory of the occurance and my drunkard of a father cannot remember either. I was born in the trading crossroads of Haverford to a father who was a provisioner that often supped cheap wine for dinner and a mother who was, simply put, a whore. I mince not words for that is what she was. Or perhaps still is. I know not as I never met her.

From what my drunkard father told me she abandonded me on his door step then caught the next caravan out of town. I suppose I should be thankful that he had enough of a heart to raise me rather than giving me home in the bottom of a well. Still though he cursed the day that I was thrust into his miserable life.

As a child I learned many things. The two most important were to be quiet and always listen and to keep out of the way of the old man when he was deep into his cups. Most certainly there were other lessons that helped me to succeed in this world, but none more important than those two.

I was thirteen when the bastard died. Can't say that I cried. Well, I could say that, but I would be lying. Not that I have any difficulty or aversion to lying, but in this matter there is neither point nor profit in doing so. I paid for his funeral. Well, actually I didn't pay for it. I bartered for it. The gravedigger needed a new shovel. That and two flasks of wine did the trick nicely.

The only thing the bastard did that was right by me was he left me his business. I should note right now that as you may have noticed I have yet to mention my fathers name. This shall continue as in that when I speak his name I feel an uncontrollable urge to spit and curse. Being that I desire to do neither at the moment he shall remain nameless. Anyway, back to the last, and perhaps only, decent thing the bastard did. In leaving me his business he gave me a chance to survive. Nay, more than survive. He gave me the chance to flourish.

The poor pititful fool never knew how to truly run the operation. He just wandered up to each caravan master that was passing through Haverford and tried to sell whatever he could. Dumb bastard managed to survive through the sheer bad luck of things breaking on the road. I did things differently. Sure I talked with the caravan masters, but only after I talked to others that worked for him. Others being the ones with the real power. Business became good. Nay, it became far better than good, it became lucrative. Wealth and the power that came with it were mine at the tender age of seventeen.

Looking back now I realize that what I called wealth and power when in my teens were nothing but a starting point. As my life progressed so did I, selling the provisioners in Haverford and moving to Minnick. There I took what would appear to be a far less important position with the Parkfell Limited Trading Company. Perhaps you are familiar with them as they control many, if not most, of the major trade routes in the northern half of the Isle. Or perhaps not.

As I stated before it would appear to most that I have taken a severe step backwards in the hierarchy of power. Nothing could be further from the truth. Speaking of truth it is for the best if I end my narrative now. For should I continue it I would most certainly stray from the truth so as not to reveal anything incriminating or important to our current course of action. I shall leave you with a single thought, no matter what you hear, or think you know, I am no one of importance.

[/center]

Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:10 pm
Stablehand

If never there was a greater power than darkness itself, then let us kneel before her might and pay homage to her overwhelming presence.

There are those who blindly speak of a good life. To live in harmony with the lands, and grow in age peacefully abiding to the rules set forth by life. Farm the plains, build a shelter and produce kin. Their goal not to survive but rather to maintain existence. If you have to ask what the difference is, you fall into the second category. Power sees not its way to these folk often. Power sees its way to those who will survive in power. To exist with power is to plan your own demise. To survive in power is to forge your name and legacy into the very same stones that hold up the gates of rapture. This is, after all, the sole reason for power, is it not? Greatness.

This brings me to a rather simple dilemma. What happens when a fool comes into power. A fool who chooses existence over survival. A fool who watches with satisfaction rather than acts with vigilance. Such is the bane of my very own survival. My kind is not capable of holding power, yet without it we can not survive. That which keeps me alive is also beyond my grasp. Torn I was for decades on end, so torn that it nearly ceased the life which pulses through my veins. Until he came along. One so weak in judgment yet so strong in character. Flawed he was, and I noticed it the moment our paths crossed. But those existing in this poor excuse of a world saw only his noble appearance.. his disregard of all that is fearful, his natural ability to lead others. I saw a child, trapped in a hero’s body.. frail and unwitting. For these qualities I knew would make an ideal host and so it came to be, the story of greatness.. and the demise of existence.

Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:46 pm
Stablehand

"War should be the only study of a prince. He should consider peace only as a breathing-time, which gives him leisure to contrive, and furnishes as ability to execute military plans"

This is, or was the saying back to the castle I worked on. The eager prince was ready to learn. To be like his father, to a point where he can surpass his expertise. How do I know this?
I was his profesor. I taught him the art of war. The art of peace. The art of diplomacy. The young prince was stubborn, filled with irony. His only will was to kill. I noticed this when he rejected The King, his fathers' order. He wanted for his son to learn peace, to cherrish all life, from the simple owl that hoots in the night, to the tree, that stands tall and strong for ages to come. To respect al living things.

But he did not learn. He only wanted war. He only wanted blood. He only wanted death to anyone inferior to him. He awaited death for anyone superior to him. He wanted to be a lord to his people, but everyone thought he would be a tyrant. The kingdom to what the King has made the city cherish, would crumble if the young prince was ever to set foot into the castle as King.

The King noticed this. But he could do nothing. He told me it was my own fault for making him grow in that manner. But he was wrong. I only followed orders. His orders. It was his own choices that brought him his own demise. There was nothing to do, for the prince was his only son.

I left the kingdom, on King's orders. Last I heard was that the prince killed his father to make that kingdom his own. That day, all hell broke loose.

The day that the prince is de-troned, shall be the day that i will rest.

Hidden[/center]

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:08 am
Stablehand

To understand the forces that work behind the moving stage of life one must drop all sense of reality. Dimensions do not exist apart but rather as a one mess of perspective. The things you see may exist in one dimension or another, but from your perspective they are all one. Humans are a simple race, they see and they believe. Many of us, my kind and others that lurk well beyond the comprehension of such simple creatures, have for years taken refuge is this simplicity. Because we can not be seen, we can survive without question or causing chaos. That which I see would change the human race indefinitely, not because it poses a threat, but rather the complexity of the many dimensions would be so far beyond the basic minds that interpret what they see.

There are those who, through dealings with forces of an evil or destructive nature, are given a small taste of all those races that travel through the dimensions. Dark mages who have given their souls and existence for what they believe to be power. A pity really, since of all the races that survive humans pass such a small time in life. But as the times pass, most humans walk the planet in the bliss of their own lives. My kind seeks out those who carry with them strength and will. For we have but one gift in our feeble bodies.. the ability to alter thought and belief. We claim no strength, no ability to battle or conquer races, we have no control over the forces of the dimensions or insight into the future. But given the opportunity, given one small chance to transform any race into our own toy puppet, and we will not fail. This is, by all means, a difficult task. But we do not follow time. We will be here long after races die off and new races are spawn.

Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:00 pm
Stablehand

I was born with a destiny that would cripple even the strongest of man. Born just to die a useless death. One where no one would notice I was gone. But yet some how 20 years later, here I sit next to Lord Steven himself. Him dependent on my every word. For he gained his throne through inheretence but not knowing a single thing about ruling. Afterall he was only a 12 year old boy. Yet everyone was forced to listen to him anyway. Because they knew saying no would involve their beheading because I was always listening. For maintaining his integrity I was put in pure control of the army and my will soon became his desires to please.

What he doesn't realise though is I control this realm. I own everything. But what he knows is I won't back stab him. It's better off this way, if I do anything to piss anyone off. It won't be my head the enemy will be looking for. It's Lord Steven's. Total dictation but without the threat of being killed. I guess now I believe that destiny is something you can change.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:39 am
Stablehand

A man who has lived as long as I, has two choices, and a possible third which might be inescapable. Either he must continue to smile and grow, or he must give up and fall to the earth for a sleep of apathy and giving up, never to really reach his perdition. Although, insanity is also a possibility, one I was never lucky enough to achieve.

A long time ago, I was but a Lieutenant in an army. Ages upon ages ago in fact. We faught under the flag of the FLAME, in the name of Barnabas.

During the period of a series of large wars, I lost myself, my legions and kingdom lost me. I had a dream though. I wandered these hellish fields of decaying corpses for days on end, insomnia, or the unconcious will to keep going took the reigns. Then he came along. A man of no faith, nor kingdom, nor country. A man whose identity I could never hope to grasp. He seemed to tower over me, cloaked from head to foot, forcing fear through me, paralyzing fear. I looked deep within his hood, when finally a single glimmer of an eye, or what should be an eye pierced my concious. From that moment, it all turned white, blindingly so. When I awoke, I found centuries of knowledge ingrained within my mind, and a will to power so great, I knew not how to contain myself, I laughed, and laughed some more, I had a purpose now, one higher than any aspiration I had ever had as a mere officer upon the field of battle.

I will not bore you with the details of the inbetween, for there is more history there than anyone could hope to absorb in months of reading, if that's all you could do.

Now I sit, intellect, politician, sorcerer, and trusted advisor to a Kingdom's ruler, or perhaps he is the one who is sitting and I the one standing far, far above, casting my shadow of reason upon his every thought.

Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:50 am
Stablehand

It was a cloudy day when Vego came accross this particular castle. It looked promising... He entered the gates to find the magistrates office and begin his new life.

Damnit. Who builds a kingdom completely underground anyhow?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:30 am
Stablehand

The day was almost here when his sister would marry and take her talents out in the world. Her name changed every bit about her changed and he the only one who really knew what she was outside their own people.

A small group generations before their parents came to create a faction that joining with another of races or stations and others after them were the Occulo Sodalis long ago further than some care to remember.

His mind wandered. Today he would see his sister off.

-Occulo Sodalis-

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:22 am
Stablehand

There was little real ceremony about it all, that just wasn't the way of their kind. For ages now people from one end of the isle to the other wondered what happened to many of the sidhe, she and her brother had the answer to account for a good plenty of sidhe. As she walked to a small platform on the floor in the center of the shrine she looked at the man her brother had sent her to. A close counselor, seer and friend to the one he called sire. It was said Levi Gaige was taken in by the prince's family as a newborn and he even carried their name to this day. Their holdings were modest but the possibilities were endless.

She looked through her veils at her brother. He would never be too far away she knew and he was her only link, the only one who would always know where she was and could bring her back if things went badly. A few words murmured by Levi she'd scarcely remember and her hands were being held by the other sidhe's and blessed in short but fervent prayer and it was done. When she might be heard from again remained to be seen.

Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:00 am
Stablehand

Thinking to myself, I wonder where our realm would be if I were not here today to dictate the control of the realm. Steven is foolish. He does not know how to lead. He only thinks 1 step ahead of him. But every leader knows that he must think 20 steps ahead.

That day when he came to me in tears asking me to take over, I looked him in the eye and I saw his father. Now that was a man that could lead. I knew that I would die for him and I knew that every one of his followers would die for him. Because he raised his realm up with love. Being lord EvilElmo sounds nice. But seeing Steven's father succeed even though he is not in this realm was even better. I'd be more than happy to help Steven along until he was old enough to hold his own.

Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:50 pm
Stablehand

A few weeks had passed since she wed Levi Gaige and in that time she was becoming more and more aware of the other women of the Crown Prince Garrett's court. The courtesans regarded her with mild distain for many of them had their eye on Levi themselves and now the Prince's right hand had been snatched up by an unknown outsider. No those women were not pleased one bit by what they viewed as a sudden and surprising marriage.

The older women of the court, the various wives of nobles and other court attendees gave Kaliska a wide berth, never saying a word but for the common daily pleasantries and once her back was turned the idle gossip continued. Thus far, the stranger in veils, as some of them had taken to calling her, was a sorceress who cast a fell spell over Levi; a desert assassin sent to kill their precious Crown Prince; a horrid shapeshifter that would somehow slay Garrett and take control in mere months along with several other stories. None of these were entirely true, though some of it could be close.

Little did they know Kaliska had been born for this. Raised and trained in the Hidden arts to work her way into this particular realm at this particular time in the isle's history and push Levi with her subtle ways to do make his Prince do exactly what the Hidden wanted. Years, nae ages her training had taken and no amount of gossip or anything else these women could devise would deter Kaliska from her agenda. She may in time even come to love Levi as his wife though it was not required nor even requested she do so. He was slightly older than she but as a sidhe the man had definitely held up well over the years. The thought brought a smile to her face as she made her way through the sunlit halls to court.

She had attended court every morning since the second day after her marriage. The Crown Prince's father was in horrible health litterally on his death bed now and his son Garrett had taken the reigns and along with him, his steadfast friend and advisor, Levi. At court three days hence the proposition of joining a new guild had been raised. These people had never been subject to a guildmaster before though times were changing. They had in the past lived unmolested in the shadow of what was called the Silent Valley though their king had never given himself over to the Silent ones.

When a court soothsayer had foretold the coming of Occulo Sodalis saying once the Silent ones were no longer together this new gathering would quite possibly be the only show of Foret's strength on the isle for a long time, the Crown Prince grew anxious. Later that night behind their closed chamber doors, Kaliska and Levi talked about what it could mean. To fly the banners of a guild or not. In times past they never had, living so near the borders of Silence their king hardly saw a robber in his land at all much less anything worse for most simply assumed a realm so close to that Valley was one of Silence and did not risk the danger.

Their present lands were set wonderfully in a defensive position; to the east of their holdings a vast wasteland of unclaimed territory. To their backs westward the land came to a bottleneck where it became the Silent Valley - a place that was now said to be shrouded in such darkness that even the days were pitch as midnight and none dared venture in for fear of being swallowed up by the dark and the silence that Valley held.

The Hidden had no reason to move on this realm in the past, no reason to gently push them in any direction, the time was not right then.

But now, oh now the time was most definitely right.

With the death of the king at hand and his son sitting upon the lion's throne, time was ripe for change. This small realm boasted a fine show of troops and its resources while modest were plenty and would grow and prosper, if their Prince moved in the right direction. With only one guild under the name of Foret, if they did not join forces, they might possibly sign their own lives away to slavery being taken and pillaged as unguilded heathen.

Long before sunrise Kaliska's gentle words, not to mention stories of how unguilded people were being enslaved and worse from one end of the isle to the other by the Dardenites and Isonians, Levi was convinced. Today was the day. Here this morning at court he would advise his Prince to send word to Occulo Sodalis and join under their banners. All their resources would be their's and they had but to call them to arms and their forces would march alongside to bring Foret's justice done. Kaliska watched on and smiled knowingly behind her veils as the Crown Prince dictated then signed the appropriate missives and called for his new banner to be raised.

And there that morning another small part of the Hidden agenda came to bear.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:18 am
Stablehand

My Lord, you called me?

The dark druid turned to him.

Yes, my faithful advisor. One more time. You must tell me one last time.

As you wish, my Lord. Though we both know the truth. You have to come to accept it. You have made the right choice, leaving the followers of the bitch goddess. She tried to play you for a fool, and with powers of the mind as she has, you had no control. She was using you as a pawn. Had you not left fled when you did, she would have had you completely corrupted, and then, sent you to your death to suit her whims. The so called goddess of equality did not treat you in such a manner. She did not care for her followers. She even deserted you when times got tough. You made the right decision. Under the banners of Foret is where you belong. You fight for righteousness. You fight to rid the the lands of the evil preachings of... He paused, and a look of disgust came over his face. Isonia and Darden

As Baldek spoke, Allonon became more appeased. He really did have a way with words. Every time he told the story, the dark druid realized just how right he was. He would fix the mistakes he had made. He would carry the banner of Foret proudly.

Seeing his lord in a state of peace, Baldek felt it best to use that time to slip out. Allonon really was a good man, he thought to himself. His ideals may have been wrong, but with some prodding for me, he will do well. A smile came over his face. He knew better. Soon enough, it will be my words that run this realm.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:16 pm