It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Veradane's Forge 
Stablehand

Post Veradane's Forge
While wandering around the countryside Tovarn spots what appears to left of an ancient path. The path now is overgrown with thick brush leaving only a small portion of the entrance exposed. Soon Tovarn finds himself lost in a forest older than any he has encountered. Pressing forward he finds the forest only becomes denser and finding his way is becoming more difficult with each step. Several days pass before he can begin to see the faint outline of what looks like a clearing. It takes Tovarn two more days of almost nonstop walking to reach the clearing. Once he finally escapes the nightmare of a forest he spots a large neglected building.

Tovarn runs up to the building and opens the large door. Upon opening the door he finds row after row of dust covered books. He begins looking through the books to see if he can find any information on who built this building. Looking through maps he discovers the land the library is situated on land that once belonged to the Verdane Empire. Some of the books detailing the empire's history speak of a cataclysm. Further research shows that the empire declined rapidly after the disaster. None of the books he finds speak of what caused the disaster.

Looking through books in a different area of the library he finds documentation of a legendary forge lost to history. The follow passage interests him the most.

Quote:
"We have created weapons of a higher quality than anticipated by combining the bones of dragons and the most resilient metals we have discovered. The test swords have completed shattered all of the swords we have brought with us. Even the swords by our most skilled blacksmiths have been shattered by these magical blades. We believe the swords made here are superior due to the involvment of mages in their creation. The dragon cave located in the Tarnoc Mountains that houses the bones of fallen dragons is instrumental in our efforts. This site should remain a secret to ensure the continued existence of our glorious empire. We should have the preliminary orders of one thousand swords completed by early next year. I suggest only giving them to the elite guard of the empire so our enemies do not find out about of our plans. Future generations will regard these weapons as legendary and seek the secrets to create them. We must ensure that only our descendants retain the knowledge of making the dragon blades."

Nothing else was written in the book. It appears the book was brought to the libraby for safekeeping and never reopened afterwards. Tovarn searches the maps for any indication of where the Tarnoc Mountains were located on the isle. He had never heard of this particular mountain range. "Perhaps the mountain range has been renamed and no one has come across the cave yet. Tovarn finds one small reference placing the mountain range in the northeast of the ancient empire. The northeastern portion of the old empire is covered in hundreds of documented mountains.

"I will have to seek help to find Veradane's Forge in all of the mountains in the area that is referenced in the book. This will not be easy even if others age to aid me in my latest quest. I will return here once I have recruited others to help me."

Tovarn departs the library and closes the doors behind him carefully. Tovarn spots a small town in the distance and starts down the only road he can find in this long forgotten area of the isle.

Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:55 pm
Stablehand

He remembers he left the map of the Veradane Empire in the library. He carefully looks around the area to make sure no one is following him. After surveying he makes his way back to the library.
He reenters the library and grabs the map he had found. He also takes the book that describes the mountain range where the forge is supposed to be located. He departs the library once again following the same path.

Several hours later Tovarn pulls out the map and examines the map. He discovers the library is in the southwest corner of the old empire. From the looks of the map the ancient empire controlled a vast territory. Tovarn has decides to travel east until he can find a road leading in a north easterly direction. Soon a dust storm appears on the eastern horizon. Tovarn decides to walk through the storm since he is on an open plain. Soon he finds himself engulfed in the sand storm. "This was not a good idea. I should have flown above the storm instead of choosing to be pelted by sand for hours."

He grabs his canteen and washes his mouth out with water. Completely covered in sand Tovarn begins looking for a river or stream to wash the sand off of him. After walking for about ten miles he finds a river. He walks over to the river and jumps into the river. Soon the river washes most of the sand away.

He pulls out his sword to see the sand has worn away the polish on the blade. "I will have to take my sword to the blacksmith in the next town to have it resharpened. Hopefully I will find the forge so that I can make a new sword that is stronger than this one. I will continue on my journey tomorrow."

Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:37 pm
Stablehand

Tovarn starts walking down the road early the next morning. Looking at his sword again he sees the blade worn and starting to rust. He followed the road for almost the entire day before coming across a town. Immediately he searches for the blacksmith but finds the shop has closed for the day.

After spending the night at the local inn Tovarn makes his way to the blacksmith's shop. This time he finds that the shop is open. He walks into the shop. "Can you sharpen my sword it is starting to rust and become dull."

"Hand me the sword and I will see what I can do."

Tovarn hands the blacksmith the sword. "You are right this sword needs to be sharpened. What happened to the blade this sword is so dull it is almost useless. I doubt this would cut a twig in its current condition. Follow me I will teach you how to fix your sword. "

He follows the blacksmith into the forge. He sees the large furnace and hammers required to craft swords and other tools made of metal. "I will have to reforge your sword if you want to keep it or craft you a new one."

"Ok I want my current sword reforged and a new sword. This way I will have a backup sword incase I need one."

"If you wish time to get to work. We will start by reforging your old sword. " The blacksmith begins to show Tovarn the techniques of reforging a sword. After the blacksmith if halfway done reforging the sword he hands Tovarn the tools. Tovarn places the sword in the furnace and begins to hammer the heated metal to reshape the blade. After several hours of reheating and hammering the metal Tovarn is finished. "Now all we have to do is sharpen the blade on the wheel over there. "

He watches as the blacksmith begins to sharpen the sword on the wheel. "Now you sharpen the other side of the blade." Tovarn begins to sharpen the blade. Periodically the blacksmith would check the blade. After two hours of practice the blade is finally sharpened to the standards of the blacksmith. "Come back tomorrow and we will craft you a new sword."

"I will be back to craft my new sword. He take this pouch of gold coins as payment for your services. "

"Thank you."

Tovarn exits the blacksmith's shop and heads back to the inn to buy a meal.

Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:26 pm