It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

The Search for a Home (open) 
Average

Post The Search for a Home (open)
The Night was cool as the breeze gently swayed the tops of the trees. Dew was beginning to form on the lush green grass as fires began to light up the country side. War was at hand and threatened to destroy everything in sight ,yet, Nether fought on. His army was pummeled and dwindled drastically from what it once was. Where a vast force of 13,000 nubash stood, now only a few thousand remained, yet, Nether fought on. Every ounce of strength and aid his kingdom and army could muster was sent to the front lines. He had little communication with his allies, for thier contact was severed, yet, Nether fought on.

Then one night as he laid his sore bruised body to rest a messenger presented him with a parchment. At last! Word from his brethren had arrived. In his mind he knew already what the parchment would tell. Although, he was suffering greatly surly the others had better luck. He smiled slightly as he unravelled the parchment, however, his smile soon faded as he began to read. A bit taken back he had to read it again for surly the words did not say what his eyes saw. His heart stopped as he realized what he had just recieved. This was a blow that he hadn't expected, a blow to his heart and loyalty to his guild. For days he had strived for victory in the name of NV, only to recive this petty parchment of ridicule.

He spent the rest of the night reading over the parchment, searching for a hidden meaning or jest. He found niether. He had been accused of trying to over throw the leadership of NV. Slowly his heart began to beat again, his fingers and lips tingled as his eyes began to burn. This letter had stuck a blow to his very soul and had broken it. Gone now was his willingness to fight. All the endless nights of planning and sacrifice were lost in a single moment of pettiness.

The sun slowly began to peak over the horizon as he stood. The fields around him were scorched by the night's fire. He slowly looked around and suddenly felt very alone. He looked to the single banner waving proudly above his head. He watched as it's purple cloth flapped in the morning breeze. He walked up tho the pole supporting it and slowly pulled it from the ground, and lowered the banner to his chest. He stood there staring, counting every stitch that held it together. He traced a single finger over the golden letters, and then let it fall to the ground. With his will to fight with the guild gone he decided to leave. He would leave the only home he had known for ages, and he would never return.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:59 am
Peasant

Nether. The name was quite familiar to the mage, and why wouldnt it be? She had afterall fought beside him what felt like ages ago when they had both served under the banner of NV. Now the winds brought news, whispering in her ear that her brethren and former guildmate was happening upon troubled times. A slight frown turned down the corners of her mouth, the details of what was taking place were still sketchy at best. She was well aware of Nethers loyalties to NV, none had risen to defend NV and even Ryloc himself quicker than Nether during the unfortunate incident that had caused many to fly banners other than that of NV. What could have possibly occured to now bring about the changes that were reaching her ears? With a heavy hearted sigh the mage turned from the open window no longer listening to the whisperings. Sitting herself down at her desk set before the same window she penned a simple letter.

Nether,
It would please me greatly if you could find time to visit me in my tower so that we may discuss your situation and perhaps find a solution to your, shall we say problem. Should you wish to pay a call, all you need do is burn this scribe in any fire that burns and you will find yourself at my gate.

Oriana

Sealing the scribe she sent it on the wings of magic. Settling back in her chair her ears pricked while she listened to the winds once again.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:27 am
Average

The day seemed to pass by at a snail's pace as Nether walked down the long dirt road. Homes were scorched and abandond as far as the eye could see. The long arm of war had a long reach indeed. The sun sat high in the sky when Nether finally decided to pitch camp. It seemed early but he wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere. Finding a large oak tree that hadn't been molested by the war Nether gathered up small twigs and sticks for a fire, nothing to large for it was still the middle of the day. With his "oven" going he pulled out of his pack a small skillet, some eggs, and an old piece of salted ham. Nether chuckled to himself as he prepared his meal, he was accustomed to serveants and large meals and here he was infront of a small fire with eggs and old ham. First he cooked the ham, it sizzeled in the hot skillet coating it with a thin layer of grease, then came the eggs. It wasn't much of meal but he didn't care.

With the cooking finally done Nether leaned back against the tree. His plate rested on his chest as he stared into the fire. He watched as it slowly devoured(sp?) the twigs and sticks he had gathered earlier. It flared up as the wind began to blow once more. Closing his eyes Nether drifted into an uneasy sleep. Images of warfare and betrayal haunted his dreams. After less than an hour he awoke to find a letter resting beside him. Surprised he stood dropping his plate and its contents into the dirt. He looked all about him and saw no sign of life, yet here the letter was. Calming down he stooped down and picked it up. He quickly unrtied the string keeping it ravelled and read it to himself

Nether,

It would please me greatly if you could find time to visit me in my tower so that we may discuss your situation and perhaps find a solution to your, shall we say problem. Should you wish to pay a call, all you need do is burn this scribe in any fire that burns and you will find yourself at my gate.

Oriana

He was shocked, he had only made his descison to leave the ranks of NV a few short hours ago. He knew no one in the guild would have missed him this quickly let alone anyone from another guild. With letter inhand he sat back down, paying little attention to his ruined meal which was now covered with ants. The name signed at the botom of the mysterious letter struck him as odd. Indeed he remembered Lady Oriana very well, what shocked him was that she would send such a letter to someone like him. He thought he had gone largly unnoticed or known in the guild apart from his frequent talks with Ryloc.

He sat in thought as he pondered her message

"It would please me greatly if you could find time to visit me in my tower so that we may discuss your situation and perhaps find a solution to your, shall we say problem. Should you wish to pay a call, all you need do is burn this scribe in any fire that burns and you will find yourself at my gate."

Indeed such an invitation was recieved in great appreciation and honor. With one last quick glance at his spoiled meal Nether tossed the parchment into the now dieing fire...

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:27 pm