It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 am

The Asylum 
Stablehand

Post The Asylum
Moon Rad wondered the land....lost......alone.....

For many ages he had been beyond this plane, but now he had returned.

But something was different....there was nothing familiar about this place. The lands had changed, people had changed, and he himself was not his true self anymore. He felt a burning anger inside unlike any other. His mind flashed with images of long-forgotten battles.....death......and destruction. His friends cut down like dogs in thier final battle........then pain.....pain like no other, it twisted and burnt.....and then there was silence. There was relief.

Moon Rad fell to his knees and buried his head in his hands.

WHY!?!?!!!

After all I have sacrificed, WHY would you leave me like this?!

But there was no reply.....and he felt that there would never be one. The familiarity of his life had all but withered away into the nether. He finally realised there was no going back.

But why am I here? Why am I alive?

Suddenly a voice whispered.....

Moon Rad

He shot up and looked all around, clutching his sword. There was nothing, only darkness.

Moon Rad, you are the chosen one.

Who are you? Where are you?

The voice grew louder and more brash.

Listen to me. You have been chosen to live again. You have a purpose. But first you must listen to me. Your wisdom and experience will help you, however, you cannot survive alone in this new world. You must find others to help you. When you have done this, I will return.

Wait! I have more questions!

There was only silence.

He thought for a minute on what to do. He knew he must find help, but where? He would need somewhere to start from. First he must build a home.

He mustered the strength and rose to his feet.

My magic should still work, even here

He held his hands aloft and delved deep into his mind. He visualised the area and the building itself, then he lowered his hands as they started to glow. Gradually, the light eminating from his hands grew brighter until a bolt of the purest light shone on the area.

No sooner had the light erupted than it had vanished, and there was only darkness and smoke.

As the smoke cleared, a bulding appeared. There were lights on inside and work was being done.

Moon Rad stood admiring his work and then quikly remembered his task. He hurried inside and grabbed some items and quickly left.

He was to search the lands for help. He searched everywhere looking for a welcoming hand, but everywhere he went, he was turned away. But then, when all hope was lost, he came upon a gracious lord who welcomed him into his kingdom. At first he was wary to trust, but it soon became clear that there was no need for alarm. He spent some time discussing this new world until it dawned upon Moon Rad that he must return home and begin construction of his own kingdom if he was to survive this world in one piece. He said his goodbyes and offered his home to his lord, should he ever wish to visit.

In honour of our new found alliance, I shall build a tavern for us and our fellow comrades and name it "The Asylum".

With that, Moon Rad left his lords kingdom to continue his work...

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:06 am
Stablehand

In honour of our new found alliance, I shall build a tavern for us and our fellow comrades and name it "The Asylum".

He cocked his head to the side as the quizzical fellow left what most would call the throne room. Slowly, surely, lords and ladies of the lands, warriors and diplomats alike, sought him out.

Why, he never could tell, yet it sat before him as a simple truth. It was tangible. Though, he knew, this was the first time that any such leader of the lands offered a civil gathering place as homage to an alliance with one another.

He pondered it longer, then motioned for of his messengers to come to him.

Yes Sir?
Follow our new found friend to where he claims home. Offer him any assistance that he may need, then spread word to our allies when the task at hand is done. Mayhaps they would enjoy some new entertainment as it were.
Yes m'lord, at once sir!

He smiled and watched the messenger scurry off on his way, his mind falling back into deeper thoughts as the moments passed.

Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:29 pm
Stablehand

"Come"

A servant entered the room, and bowed before Moon Rad.

"What is it?"

"M'lord, no-one has visited the tavern."

"Hmmm...perhaps they do not know of its existence."

"What would you have me do m'lord?"

"Send word to our comrades. The Asylum is open any time and is free for all of them to enjoy. And send out invitations, there's going to be a party."

"At once m'lord."

The servant left the room quickly and began his task.

Why would they not come?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:58 am
Stablehand

Location: Out of that pit of uncaring and beggining life anew
It had been ages since Silverwolfe had left his kingdom, busy as he was with the affairs of his realm. A huge amount of work went in to running his realm, considering the amount of documents his attendants brought to him on a daily basis. Conscription orders that he had to sign, permission to use gold from the coffers, personal requests from his serfs, and permission to build temples to Angelique.

When Silverwolfe first heard the old gods had returned his reaction to the old gods returning was nothing more then an uncaring "Oh." He remembered them, and cared less for the old gods then he cared for the gods who recently governed the land. His people wanted the temples though, and he saw no harm in letting them worship. After all, FOUL followed Angelique, so it was in his kingdoms best interests to build temples to worship the useless gods.

Silverwolfe looked at the massive amount of paperwork before him and despaired. Even with Khelestra's help it took forever, but it didnt matter now. She had gone to sleep several hours earlier after a long nights work, and he didn't want to disturb her just yet. Deciding that he should get some rest too, he knocked one of the neatly stacked piles of parchment off his desk so that he may lay his head down on it. Looking at the now messy floor, he saw a strange envelope mixed in with the documents.

Picking it up, he opened it and read the brief note. "You are invited to a party at FOUL's tavern, The Asylum."

Confused, Silverwolfe shook his head. "Foul has a tavern? First I've Heard of it."

Using his sidhe art, Silverwolfe traced the path the letter had taken back to its source and pinpointed the location of The Asylum. Walking to Khelestra's room, Silverwolfe gently woke her by poking her beautiful black wings. As she sat up her Fiery red hair fell across her shoulders and draped her heart shaped face. After stifling a yawn, the once demon gazed questioningly at him with her vivid green eyes. "Is something wrong, my lord?"

Silverwolfe chuckled and shook his head. "No, nothings wrong. However I believe it is time for us to end this seclusion and return to the world." Thinking a bit, Silverwolfe looked back towards his study. "I think Ill have my Steward appoint a few people to take care of the paperwork from now on. Its long boring work, and I'd much rather be out there." Remembering his past adventures, a large grin formed on Silverwolfe's rugged face. "Perhaps I'll be able to practice my swordsplay once again. Its been too long since I've held the twins in my hands."

Khelestra raised an eyebrow and blinked. She did not understand why someone with such trememdous magical power rarely used it but for the most mundane tasks. Even in battle Silverwolfe refrained from using his abilities, only using it when there was no other alternative. Turning her attention from her thoughts back to Silverwolfe she examined him carefully, as she did every morning, making sure he had not finally gone mad after so long in the company of the Lunatics. Satisfied that he was still sane she posed a simple question. "So, where are we going?"

Not immediately responding, Silverwolfe walked to her closet and pulled out a silken, Icarii sleeveless tunic and an icarii skirt. The tunic had a large square cut in the middle of the back for the wings, and was buttoned directly above and below the square cut hole. The Skirt was made out of a strong material that appeared a different colors depending on the angles, and when worn reached slightly above the knee. Walking back to Khelestra he handed her the clothing. "Here, put these on and get out of your birthday suit. Were going to a party."

Khelestra wordlessly took the clothing. As she began to dress, Silverwolfe retrieved a basin nearby, and filled it with clean crisp water from the hall fountain. Returning to Khelestra's room, He set the basin on the table. "I thought you might wish to freshen up a bit too."

Returning to the hall and entering his room, He retrieved he two blades and strapped them between his wings. His first blade was Sidhe made and represented his mothers people. The other sword was an icarii battle blade, representing his fathers people. Both blades were intricately designed, and both beautiful as they were deadly. Changing out of his old clothing, He put on a golden icarii tunic and black trousers. Retrieving his mother's ring from his desk, he set it on his right hand. Taking a golden, snakelike armband out of the same drawer as his mothers ring, he set it on his left arm, right below his shoulder. Stretching out his pale, silvery wings, he shook them, and removed a few loose feathers. Flapping a couple times to test for flight, He leaped out of his window and flew to the top of the tower he and Khelestra resided in. Looking down at the palace, then the ground several hundred feet below he waited for Khelestra to arrive. She did a few minutes later, and he pointed to the northwest.

"There is a tavern owned by FOUL called 'The Asylum'. That is where the party is taking place, and that is where we are going."

They departed then, Soaring through the sky for nearly an hour before they finally spotted the Tavern. Landing outside, They warily entered the tavern and saw but a single man. Silverwolfe spread his arms and wings wide and bowed low, and Khelestra followed suit. Afterwards He led Khelestra to a Small table near a corner.

"All we can do now is wait for others to arrive, unless of course that curious man over there wishes to speak to us."

Its about skidding in sideways, screaming "Holy Shit, What a ride!"

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:05 pm
Stablehand

"Greetings my friends, my name is Moon Rad Silverbane, welcome to The Asylum. I know very little about you, but I hope that will change."

He gestured for them to enter further, and walked them to their table.

"Can I get you anything to drink?"

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:44 pm
Stablehand

Silverwolfe stood as the man introduced himself, but mostioned for Khelestra to stay seated. Silverwolfe reached out and clasped Moon Rad's hand, and giving another slight bow of his head.

"My given name is Juriel Khael Dlorian, but I am more commonly known as, and prefer the name Silverwolfe. " Gesturing to the woman at his side, he smiled. "This beautiful creature is called Khelestra. She is my confidant, and sometimes bodyguard."

Khelestra stood then and clasped Moon Rad's hand, then gazed around the tavern, taking it all in. Turning her attention back to Moon Rad, she simply said "It is a pleasure to meet you." Folding her wings about herself like a cloak, she sat back down.

Silverwolfe thought a bit, then decided to tell Moon Rad a little about himself. "Hmmm. You wish to know a little about me, perhaps I shall tell you of my bloodlines. I share the blood of the sidhe, although you probably cannot tell. My tanned skin and black hair hide that fact from many people. That is thanks to my vile fathers blood."

Silverwolfe gestured to the chair across from him. and motioned for Moon Rad to sit.

"He was an Icarii, a race that is even more rare then the sidhe themselves. He himself is an evil man. He was a warlord, and a shapeshifter. He conquered countless lands, and I ruled beside him. The icarii were a feared race, and although few, we were powerful. At least untill an army of Sidhe, led by my mother, struck out against me and my father. They defeated us, and nearly wiped our race off the face of the earth. "

"During that last battle, all but ten of the icarii were killed. The survivors were intombed in magical prisons, created by the sidhe. It was in those tombs that I slept for nearly a millenia. When I finally woke, about two hundred years ago, the world had changed drastically. There were new races abound in the land. The sidhe were a dwindling race, and I had no memory of my past life."

"When I woke, I had traveled the isle, righting wrongs, delivering justice I had become a ranger, and taken the name Silverwolfe. It was around that time that I discovered that I was also a shapeshifter."

"I finally regained memory of my life a few years back, and It was a painful experience. Me and Khelestra had been hunting eachother for decades before that, and finally almost killed eachother. Thats when my locked away memories were released. When I learned of my dark heritage."

Looking at Khelestra, his memories of what he had done to her those several months he had her in captivity seeped up. Tears formed, and he quickly locked that memory away again.

"I had captured Khelestra, and had personally tortured her for months on end. I was not myself during those times, my dark heritage, and my fathers blood had taken over. Towards the end, I regained control of myself. It was during that time that me and Khelestra came to an understanding, and now there is no one I trust more."

Sighing, Silverwolfe stood up and stretched. Shaking his head, he started laughing. He hated how once he started telling a story, he couldn't stop untill the end. Shaking his head, Silverwolfe pulled a few gold coins from the pouch at his side. Handing them to Moon Rad, he grinned.

"How bout those drinks. Ill take a pint of your best ale." Looking at Khelestra Silverwolfe smiled as he remembered her reaction to the flavor of ale. "I guess you can get Khelestra a glass of your finest wine?" Silverwolfe looked at Khelestra to make sure she wanted wine, and she simply nodded. "Get yourself something too, and perhaps you would be willing to tell me a little about you?"

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:31 am
Stablehand

[ooc:]yes, laus is kidnapped in the warthread, but i'm not carryin that fact over in this thread.[/ooc]

He had been dozing as a slight pressure trailing down his throat woke him.

And what is it that you think you are doing?
Waking you up.
And why would you wish to do that?
The messenger you sent to Moonrad's lands has returned. The tavern he promised is up and running, and your presence is requested.

He nodded and wiped the sleep from his eyes. He stood, slowly, and gathered his clothes from the end of his bed and got dressed.

And what are you laughing at now woman?
Venturing out in public in peasants clothing again our we?
Aye, and why not. But, I expect you will not be joining, yes?
Peasant clothes do not present the master of a guild well Laus, and yes, I will not be joining. I have other business to attend to.

He nodded and headed to the stables, mounting the lamest steed and urging it on it's way to Lord Moonrads kingdom.

The journey had been slow and tedious, the beast truly indeed the lamest on the island. Several times he had pondered killing the damned thing and finishing the trek on foot, but had withheld his hand everytime.

Eventually he had found himself in front of the tavern known as The Asylum. He looked it over slowly and dismounted the steed; failing to tie it up.

Should anybody be petty enough to steal the damned thing, they can have the blasted creature...

Shrugging, he sighed and entered the tavern, taking a seat at the table nearest the door. He looked over the occupants slowly, pushing his mind to remember their names, and watched them as they conversed.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:01 am
Stablehand

Kain had been recovering quickly from the disaster that had befallen him during the war. He was to lead Angelique in a glorious battle for dominance of the land, to show them all the one true god. However in his preperations his kingdom had been assaulted and he had no way to get to the frontlines. His assailant left his lands in ruins and Kain had no way to get to the main body. He had wondered how they faired, it wasn't until later that he learned without his guidance the leadership fell to a more inexperienced general. For that he was truly sorry, the outcome might have been different if he had not been held back.

Things were going smoothly once again, Angelique was on the rise, and he vowed that he would not be held up like that again. If need be he would leave his kingdom in the care of his teacher in the arts of war, Ash Gallant, and make his way to the main troop to lead them himself. That is if Foul called upon him to lead them once again.

Weeks passed, and a missive, the first in a long time reached his realm, it invited him to a tavern, where the leadership of Foul could get together and get to know one another. Kain decided he would show himself there, and apologize to his allies in person, as well as to let them know that in the future, he would be there. He wouldn't make any excuses, he would simply apologize and then make a promise. If any of them had problems with what happened, he'd ask them to step outside and draw their blade. They would settle it like any other who lived by the sword.

He let Ash know he was leaving, and for the large elf to look after things while he was gone, and to make sure his son continued his training. Pulling his cape on, with the Dragonhand family insignia embroiedered on it, he went to the stables, and found his horse, Megiltura. The jet black horse had been with him for more than a decade now, and despite it's age it looked rather young. He spoke to it in elven before he mounted, and then asked it to carry him to his destination.

Soon he would meet the rest of Foul, and for that he was glad. He wanted to know what kind of men he associated himself with.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:21 am
Stablehand

She sat lazily sprawled in the chair with a bored look on her face. Word had reaced her of the tavern, "The Asylum". While Taverns weren't her normal haunts, she was contemplating making a visit. She still much prefered her woods and wild animals to that of many bodies crammed in one room. The stink of sweating flesh and ale was never a pleasent one. Orrha meerly shrugged and studied the small knife she'd been playing with.

"Ready my horse, would ya,"She instructed one of the young boys that were usually running back and forth from the kitchen. She stood and left the room and wandered out to the stable. She'd go if only for a short while. She wasn't overly excited about the prospect, but seeing how the Tavern was there to serve her and her guildmates it might do to make an appearence.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:20 am
Stablehand

Apon Seeing Laus enter the tavern Silverwolfe quickly stood up. Putting his hand on Moon Rad's shoulder, and shook His head.
"I'm sorry my friend, but we will have to postpone our talk for another time. Someone has just walked in, and I must meet him."

Turning back to look at Khelestra, he beckoned her. "Come, In all the time we have been in this guild, we have not yet met our 'Illustrious' Leader. We should pay our respects."

Silverwolfe began walking towards Laus, then stopped. Deciding to approach Laus in a form that was not so imposing, He Shifted to his half sidhe, half human form. Silverwolfe's wings shrunk, cracking as they dissapeared into his back. His muscle definition faded slightly and he shrank a whole foot.

Cracking his neck, Silverwolfe's piercing gaze set once again on Laus, sizing his leader up. They were now about the same height and build, so Silverwolfe decided it would be better to approach now.

Turning back to look at Khelestra, he chuckled. She was now a half foot taller then he was, and still more beautiful. He decided he had to teach her to shapeshift some day. The ability to change to the form of any living creature was quite useful. All you had to do was steal its essence.

Continuing his short walk to Laus, Silverwolfe clasped a fist to his heart and gave a slight bow, His long silken hair draping his face. "Greetings, my lord. In all the time I have been in our glorious guild, I do not believe I have had the pleasure of meeting you personally. Allow me to introduce myself.

Standing up straight now, Silverwolfe grinned, The long scar, stretching from his scalp, over his right eye and down his cheek a rude interruption on his otherwise flawless face. "My name is Juriel Khael Dlorian. I am the bastard son of a sidhe sorceress, and an icarii. The Icarii I was born of, is named Sor'jus Talhana, He had mastered the art of shapeshifting, and I learned it from him. Im afraid my fathers race was driven to near extinction long before humans became a prominent race upon the isle. Only ten others live that I know of, nine are in a magically induced slumber, prisoners in their tombs, my father one of them. The tenth is the beautiful creature that stands behind me."

" Please, although Juriel is my given name, I spent seventy-five years as a ranger, and recieved a name from my master at the time. I am called Silverwolfe, and I prefer it to the name my bastard of a father has given me."

Looking Laus from top to bottom, Silverwolfe started laughing.
"My lord, I must say, I had expected the leader of one of the most powerful guilds on the isle to be dressed more lavishly. No matter, I believe in some cases comfort is more important then presentation."

Silverwolfe's laughter died down to a half smile as he waited and hoped for a response.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:43 pm
Stablehand

Moon Rad followed Silverwolfe and Khelestra, and waited as they made their introductions.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:52 pm
Stablehand

He watched curiously as the three broke off their conversation and approached him. The one had changed from it's former shape to that of a humanoid as it approached him. He pushed himself to recall their names, but found he could barely do so.

He regretted the fact, but as most of his relations with those sworn to him have been by scribe as of late, he was hard pressed to recognize him. Even if he had seen them everyday, he wondered if he would still remember their names on sight, with the amounts of people constantly vying for his attention.

He nodded and focused as the shifting creature explained and introduced itself, and nodded at the female creature when she was mentioned.

My lord, I must say, I had expected the leader of one of the most powerful guilds on the isle to be dressed more lavishly. No matter, I believe in some cases comfort is more important then presentation.

He chuckled and smiled slowly as the comment came. It always amused him when people questioned why he wore commoners rags as they were called. It was never a matter of comfort, though they were more comfortable, it was always a matter of where he saw himself positioned beside other people.

Silverwolfe you say? Then as Silverwolfe you shall be known to me. Greetings my friend, and greetings to your companion. Please sit, regal me with stories of past wars. Perhaps Lord Moonrad has a lad or lass or two that provide us refreshments.

He nodded and looked up at Moonrad, motioning to a seat beside him.

Greetings Moonrad, it has been some time since we last heard of your venture here. Join us and be merry, no need to do all the work yourself.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:09 pm
Stablehand

He entertained himself on the lonely road by humming, although Megiltura seemed opposed to it. Kain wasn't a musician, and it was hard to make a disaster out of merely humming, but if there was indeed a way to do such a thing, the half-elf had found it. He stopped humming when his thoughts came to that of the men he had allied himself with. Would they be any worse than the demons of Demonic Reality? Or the backstabbing mages of Tiavain? He didn't know, his loyalty now was to Angelique. In her absence it had been to Sircko Asacorto Onicel, and above and beyond that to Oriana Tengwargul... how he despised hearing that on the end of her name.

NO! That's the past, stop bringing it up. He spoke out loud to himself. Megiltura stopped, looking back to it's rider with a confused look. It's nothing Megiltura, only memories, come let's ride, we have new faces to meet. With that the Bladesinger and his faithful mount sped towards the desired destination.

It was cold, and Kain had little in the form of protection from the elements. Here in the north that could be a grave mistake. Halting Megiltura he dismounted and drew his blade. There on a small grassy knoll Kain began a spell in the intricate form of the bladesong. While Kain couldn't hum a tune for the life of him, he could make a beautiful song with swift arcs of his blade. The Bladesong replaced the need for a book, material components, and it was the verbal and semantic components for the magic. The spell was a simple one really, it granted Kain and his mount protection from the elements for a set duration. With that, he sheathed his blade, mounted Megiltura once again and sped off towards the Tavern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was several hours before Kain arrived at his destination. Thanks to the speed of Megiltura he had made it in half the time it would take a normal horse. Dismounting he whispered to the horse again, and it nodded in acknowledgement. As intelligent as the beast was, it was a wonder it couldn't speak. The horse trotted off into the wilderness. Kain then turned and went for the tavern door. How long had it been since he gathered to meet other lords and ladies of the land? And what would these people be like? Would the leader of FOUL be present?

Kain opened the tavern door and a rush of cold air entered in behind him. He wore simple traveler's clothes, the only things about him that hinted him being nobility was the exquisite blade encased in a gold lined scabbard, with platinum veins running down the length of it. A sapphire, a ruby, an emerald, and a diamond formed a cross on the scabbard, with a platinum backdrop indicating it was in the form of a rose compass, each of the ornate gems indicating north, east, south, and west. The pommel of the blade had this design as well, and the hilt was solid steel with embroidered gold and platinum. The blade itself was the most impressive about the whole set, but it's beauty was hidden beneath the scabbard. He wore leatherbound armlets with the same design as the pommel of the sword, and that of the scabbard, with a small insignia of the Dragonhand family crest, along with that of Angelique. His white cape had a luminous aura about it, and it had a much larger representation of the Dragonhand family symbol on the back of it.

Kain's family crest was the very sword at his side, drove into the ground on top of a hill, with the sun rising behind it. From the left side a scaled arm reached for the blade, with a clawed hand grasping the hilt.

He saw other about in the tavern, but recognized no one, his skin did not show the effects of the cold, and for as little protection as he was wearing he was not shivering from the environment of the unforgiving northernlands. He went over to the bar and ordered a glass of elven wine, it was more expensive up here, but it could be found none the less. Even with the elves taking a step back from world affairs.

Taking his drink, Kain found a table in the corner, and sat with his back to the wall and side to the adjacent wall, keeping an eye on the tavern's inhabitants. His hand absently fingered the hilt of his sword as he sipped upon the wine.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:46 pm
Stablehand

Moon Rad turned to face the bar and motioned for the barmaid.

As he sat, the maid arrived at the table.

"Yes m'lord?"

"Would you be so kind as to fetch some drinks?"

"What would you be needing m'lord?"

"Two Ales, a goblet of wine and a brandy."

"Yes m'lord"

Returning to his guests, Moon Rad listened intently to the conversation.

Suddenly the tavern door opened and in stepped a fellow, clad in a white cape. Moon Rad watched as he closed the door and he made his way to the bar, the cape shimmering in the candlelight of the tavern, illuminating the a crest on the back.

Moon Rad thought for a moment, then remembered the reply he had received.

"Ah, this must be Kain"

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:54 pm
Stablehand

Kain had felt the eyes on him as he had paid for his drink. It wasn't unusual though, it was natural for patrons of a tavern to look at any who entered, and size them up, or see if they recognize them. Kain felt as if a few sets of eyes were sizing up the half-elven Bladesinger.

He sat as his table and looked over to the man who had said his name, someone recognized him, probably because of his cape he thought for a moment. Then he motioned for this person to join him at his table.

Please sir, sit, have a drink on me.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:18 pm
Stablehand

Consciousness came slowly to the crumpled form. He lay on the hard packed dirt covered in a layer of orange dust. His robe of gray silk lay torn at the red crest. Shards of a broken sword lay near his shoulder. His head throbbed and he tasted bile. His eyes were sealed shut by dried blood from a gash in his forehead. Every bone and muscle in his body threatened to rebel at the simple task of taking stock of himself. In short, he felt the way he looked...

Like hell.

Forcing the pain away, he snapped his eyes open. Brightness, the kind that might feel warm any other day, scalded his vision. He recoiled, but quickly recovered. Slowly, the pain subsided and he managed to focus on a distant shrub. Thinking made the back of his head burn. The shrub was only inches from his face, full of thorns, some with red tips. He remembered little, but the trip into the thorny bush came to him in a stunning blaze of light.

He made his body react, shoving away the pain as he sat up, then stood. He stumbled forward, dizzy, falling to his knees. The what made sense, but the how did not. He stood again, and did not fall. With effort, he brushed the dust off himself and looked around. The road went on as far as he could see in both directions. So he started walking.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:34 am