It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 am

Darkness Rising 
The Warlady

Post Darkness Rising
Quote:
"Rook to Bishop.
Checkmate I do Believe.
One could say you represent the Bishop.
Continuing to try and maintain a futile balance in a world of change.
Eneviatbly, even the Bishop falls.
Yet another good game Ristin.
This makes us about even. Perhaps another game?

May Leto grant you Wisdom,
Emir Ligneus

*Ristin had to grin.
Chess was a faithless game.
Mind against mind.
He saw Ligneus not as a heathen, but as an intellectual opponent.
Of course few would see it that way, but GrandMasters in the Barnabas faith were few and far between.

"Got to miss the Suzerain.
Probably the smartest; perhaps most lethal Letorian guild there ever was."

He thought to himself as he prepaired to reply eager for another match... when he noticed something was wrong.
Dangerously wrong.

The hair stood up on the back of his neck as his ears raised. He froze in place scanning the room with his eyes.
He was alone...
Or was he?

The Cardinal was not a prophet by any means, but he had on occasion been given slight preminitions of foreboding. Signs from the Warlord of the heavens.

But this was much more severe. Stronger than the coming of the false Gods.

A shadow out the corner of his eye!
With one solid motion he was on his feet, holy sword drawn and spinning fast about to face....

Nothing.

A slight grin formed on his face as he attempted to solve this strong premenition of foreboding*

"Heh.
I must be getting older than I thought."

*He said to no one in particular.
But he knew it was not his imagination.
The feeling did not go away.
He slowly sheathed his holy sword and walked to his window looking skyward*

"What is it you wish of me Milord Barnabas..
What are you trying to tell me...

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:19 am
The Warlady

*Ristin had studied hard the current status about the world.
Aside from the ususal wars going on, balance was maintained.
Whatever the problem was, it did not lie with Barnabas. For this Ristin was sure.

"So what could it be?"

He thought to himself. His concern actually rose when he determined that the lands of the Warlord were not particulary in serious danger at all, yet his feeling of horrible dread grew.

"Much worse than yesterday.
I can barely concentrate.
If the problem does not lie with Barnabas, it must lie elsewhere."

His first response was to check the library of the Alfheim estate in hopes that maybe he could find something of similar circumstance from ages past.
But Shayanna had long ago destroyed many of the ancient texts before he could put a suitable guard on the library that answered only to him.

"I wonder...
Does the Angelican and Letorian clergy feel the same..."

Heading to his study, he frowned annoyed moving a half eatten steak from his scribing table. He prepaired some parchment and dipped his quill prepaired to write.

But the well was dry.

Closer investigation revealed that the steak was covered in ink.

"I've got to ask."

Then he decided that he didn't want to know.
Whatever Shayanna's reason it was guarenteed to enrage him.

"Who needs children when you have a Warlady.."

Getting a fresh inkwell he began anew penning multiple messages to various Angelican and Letorian kingdoms he suspected of being in high stature with their respective diety or those known to have prophets of various ability*

Quote:
Greetings esteemed Colleagues of faith and mind,

First of all let me say that although I may disagree with your particular faiths and beliefs, I respect them.
I come to you not as an enemy, but of a person of mutual divine and spiritual interists.

I have sensed, or should I say felt; an Ominous presence of dread in my mind. It has grown stronger by the hour and I am convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is not caused by my Lord Barnabas, or has anything to do with my faith at all.

It is with keen interist that I inquire as to your states of mind.
Am I alone in this?

I respectfuly await your reply's.

--}Ristin Pieare{--
Cardinal of the Warstate of Altercation

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 am
Stablehand

It was a voice like wind chiming through the summer grass. Each word drifting out of the dark like leaves to the ground in a listless breeze.

'Awake my descendant, we would speak to you of fear...'

Tohu slowly opened his eyes and stared at the carved rafters of his ancestral house. He was alone in his village, his people had left many moons past...

...alone but for them.

'...of an endless song that wanes, of an eternal light that waxes'. This voice was different - like the shiver the adze sends through the felled totara tree.

Tohu cast off his cloak and, sitting up, he propped his immense frame against the wall. The moon cast a fitful light through the covered windows and the only other sound was the constant chant of the sea against the nearby shore.

'Ka nui to matou wehi... we are afrai-'

'Oh, nonsense! Stop scaring the boy. One of you has a bad feeling and you've gotta frighten the dimwitted giant half out of his mind'. Tohu rolled his eyes at the sound of a third voice. Communing with the spirits of his ancestors invariably meant all of them - including the ones related twice over.

'Curse you, e Hine! We had such a reverential tone going'.

'Ae, e Hine, 'tis little wonder the boy doesn't repect us'.

'Oh boo-hoo, the lumbering oaf just needs a boot up th-'

'Silence!' The adze nigh split the the tree in two this time, and, once again, only the sea could be heard.

'E puta ki waho, tamaiti. Follow me outside'.

Tohu got to his feet and followed the voice of his grandfather into the open, ducking low through the door and into the moon-light.

'Listen, child. What do you hear'.

Tohu frowned before replying. 'I hear old spirits bickering, otherwise, the land sings the same song'.

'You are wrong child... the earth-mother... she... she whispers... something is wrong. The land sings the same song but there is foreboding in its voice.'

'And you have not asked the earth-mother what troubles her?'

'She no longer speaks to us, child'.

The half-giant sat cross legged under the eaves of the house and stared out to the ocean. Some time passed before he replied.

'I would not speak to half of you lot either. Of what use is this information to me?'

'You are the last of us to walk this land, child. Perhaps the living can divine the answer where we spirits falter. Regardless, I would warn you, blood of my blood, I fear more than a spoiled harvest'.

Silence reigned and Tohu watched as the first light of dawn bled into the night sky, alone and surrounded by his ancestors.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:01 am
Stablehand

She shited with a start from where she had been laying this night. She turned to see what was happening and she saw something strange. The dessert had turned into a massive dust storm with only one cause to it. The lady Angelique seamed to the the one caught in the middle of it all. She was still and pale, as if deceased.

She shook herself out of it and let herself forget what she saw. She found that a missive had come from another faith. She replied herself. She needed no shaman to know that something was going to happen.

Quote:
Ristin,
I have seen the Lady Angelique as if she were dead. I know not what it means, but it has to be something to make the dessert turn into a massive storm of dust. If I get any more clue of this sort then I shall pass the word.

Your Angelique sister,
Adriana, the Dessert Rose

She sent a messenger with the note and sat in her study thinking about what all this meant.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:53 am
Stablehand

It was a garden.
                           A heaven of nature.
                           Untouched by war.
                           In a place so far away,
                           it could have been the end of the world.

A place forgotten by man,
                           a place forgotten by war.
                           Home of one of the last,
                           of a race of ancient druids.

He was bound to this place,
                           From his own life came the peace.

Image                                                                        Image

Usually his attention would be with the doves,
                           And other animals,
                           which would fill this small alcove.

Yet now he felt a shimmer of change,
                           Which even was reaching out,
                           to his own place of peace.
                           From his own blood came nature.

Image                                                                            Image

Ganethaeril, a being long slender,
                           Rather palish with clear eyes.

Something was wrong, he could feel it.
                           Something that reached even to here,
                           touching a place that was to be preserved,
                           from all that went on in the far away world.

He frowned, realising he would have to go,
                           Find what was going on, back to this world.
                           Which he had left so many years ago.

So it was that he took his walking stick,
                           Saying goodbye to his havon.
                           walking on his new path,
                           to investigate what was wrong.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:18 pm
Stablehand

“Where am I?” It took a few moments for the room to stop spinning and for Brett to recall that she was still within the stone walls of the Ministry. She had been dreaming but now as she tried to focus her mind on that dream she couldn’t remember it. All that was left was a feeling of disquiet and an almost overwhelming urge to return Baccarin Spires.

The room would have been as black as pitch but for a few embers that glowed stubbornly in the hearth. Brett wondered what the time was. The small tallow filled alcove that was lit in the evening and left burning all night had burnt out. “Dawn can’t be far away”, Brett spoke quietly to herself as she felt her way to the large folding doors opened onto the enclosed veranda she tugged on them gently and they easily and silently swung open. Bare foot Brett stepped onto the veranda the tiles under foot were still warm from the previous days sun. The warmth was a distinct contrast to the cool dampness of the perspiration that lay on her skin. She shivered, but rather than returning to her room for a wrap she whispered a simple warming incantation. A warm breeze stirred around her and soon the chill of perspiration was a distant memory. Standing in the central arch Brett looked out over the expanse of land towards the sea. The night was inky black and no apparent difference could be discerned between the sea and the sky. “It can’t be any more than an hour before dawn” she thought and almost immediately the light of the rising sun flickered and parted the darkness to separate the earth from the sky.

Turning from the scene she padded across the tiles and back into her room and toward the fire grate. Crouching she stirred the embers and fed them with small dry twigs as she did so she pondered the urge to return to her ancestral home. Memories of things she had read and seen from her previous visit flitted through her mind and she knew without really understand how she knew that great change was upon her, just not her but the whole of the lands of the Isle.

The candle guttered from the movement as she sat it on the small writing table. Thoughtfully she dipped the quill into the ink pot watching the ink roll down the nib and ball heavily on its tip. Carefully she wiped the nib across the brim to the pot and the excess ink dribbled quickly away and returned to from where it had come.

Quote:
My Lord Iblade

She paused for a moment and then decided that being to the point was the best way to go.

Quote:
My Lord Iblade

By the time you receive this missive I have will have left the Ministry of Stone. I have an overwhelming need to return to my ancestral home, Baccarin Spires. You may not recall me having mentioned them for I did not speak of them often.

There are changes a foot in our lands. Exactly what those changes are I do not know nor for that matter do I have any insight as to whether I or any of us will survive what is to come. I may be being called home to die or I may be being called home to survive I do not know. I just know that I have to heed this call.

I pray to what ever gods may hear and heed that all will be as it should. That we will indeed met again in the future. Until that time Sir, I bid you farewell.

Brett MacGregor
Servant of the Wheel

Once the ink had dried she slowly folded the parchment and sealed it with the seal she had found long ago at Baccarin Spires. The large globed tower surrounded by the four smaller ones, each marking the four points of the compass stood out boldly in the lavender and gold streaked wax. Sighing with acceptance she pushed her chair back from the table and set about the task of gathering together her belongings.

Keeper of scrolls, Callineb

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:38 pm
Stablehand

[ooc unfortunately, our guild has not been accepted yet. too bad :\]

the hordes of gy'bur were thrown forth. for days, the clan leaders had debated how they would save tonan. for days, they haggled. forever, it seemed, they seemed stooped in political maneuvering and showmanship. but only until he drew his sword, and cut down the strongest of the clan leaders who had gone off on a particularily immaterial tangent.

a first among equals was found.

thereafter, things moved swiftly. strategy was devised. goals were set.

the altar would destroy everything. they had to prevent it from killing all the inhabitants on the isle. their armies drew up to their starting positions, poised to find the release of blood which would satiate the altar.

"do not stop," he spoke, "until we can be sure the island is safe."

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:14 pm
Stablehand

Zen had a vision as he slept. The phantasm that visited him was unrelentless, attempting to draw him against his allies. For the longest time, he could not place the feeling that lie deep within his gut, something telling him of massive change to come. The phantasm showed him of a fierce battle and the destruction of the isle on which he and everything he ever knew dwelt. The strangest part, flashing like a strobe light in his brain, was of an altar. A simple altar. What did this mean?

Within the ministry, Zen grew to a state of great anxiety. Even the most simple task grated on his nerves, until one day, three days recent, while working in the garden, a complete sense of deja vu enveloped him. It was so strong that he was immobilized. In the distance, below the high mountains that the ministry is located, he gazed upon a hawk feeding on a small rabbit. A perfectly ordinary event, however, the phantasm showed him this. Things would not be long now, he imagined. He then caught a glimpse of a great battle, which was no ordinary battle, but one of a savage melee, where old alliances were of no concession. The winners, drunk on victory, were celebrating in view of an altar. Mere viewing of this altar sent chills up and down Zen. This altar craved a sacrifice. A large sacrifice. The battle of battles would be happening soon, the destruction of the isle was not far off.

Things were happening quickly. Meetings with his closest friends and allies were to be scheduled immediately. Zen told these trusted sources his tale, and his feelings. No immediate action was taken, but one by one, the scribes came in:

"Let us stop the destruction."

The Insurrection began more casually than most would admit. The thought of initiating such a slaughter gave him pause, but the fact that it was to save the isle reaffirmed his conscious.

I'm going to save the world, he thought silently, and then chuckled not so silently.

Although long in preparation, the beginings were not without a candid mannerism. Once it had begun, however, there was no turning back. This was known by all and the final decision was made to proceed. A sacrifice was in order. A large sacrifice.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:39 am
Teh Spam!

The priests were troubled. Many a High Summonner, Cardinal and other important spiritual folk had come to Nagash with suspicions. They thought that something bad was going to happen, all of them. But they didn't agree on what it was. Some admitted they did not know, others came with tales of fell beasts of the past being resurrected and regaining power. The Craskit would be back as well as the armies of the Prophet whom were slain several ages ago. And they were coming to wreak havoc.

Currently the Cardinal of Leech was with Nagash, bearing a message of the indisposed Cardinal of Pavlashire.

" But don't you feel it then? Something's clearly wrong. The trees, the soil, the water, the air: all whisper of the upcoming disaster. "

" Ask them to be a bit more specific then please. I've heard many a silly tale today. "

" They don't respond to anyone. They say whatever they like, whenever they like. "

" Well, am I glad I don't hear them then... Here, come along. "

Nagash led the way to his beloved gardens and stopped before a tree. He started knocking on it and asking all kinda of questions. He then turned to a daisy and repeated this routine.

" See? They know jack. sniff the air, man. It's a beautiful day and I won't let it be ruined by you and your lot of doomsday-predictors. And if I find anyone spreading these tales among the people, I will have them crucified. Now leave me, dismiss all other depressing people and let me sit here in the sun for a while, will you? "

The Cardinal sighed and shook his head, but did as he was told.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:29 am
Stablehand

As the night's embrace drew the sun below the treeline, the archaelogical dig site was quickly abandoned in favour of the feasting house. Across the area, students carefully placed their trowels down next to the half-uncovered artefacts which had held their attention, made final notes in the days dig journals, and made their way across the broken ground to the shanty town of hastily constructed huts and cloth-covered washing areas towards the building which dominated the scene.

The feasting house had once been living quarters for the monks who had worked in the library, Chalchiuhtotolin had pronounced. Its grand marble columns and mosaic tile flooring spoke volumes of the wealth of the area before its downfall, and spacious fireplaces in each room provided more than enough heat to take the edge from the evening's chill arrival. The cooks had once again outdone themselves, presenting a series of platters stacked high with cuts of boar meat and vegetables which had been discovered locally and pronounced safe to eat, and so the students took their places along the long table and awaited the evening's blessing.

Chalchiuhtotolin took his feet at the head of the table, and regarded those sat before him; the cream of the academies which he had visited, bar those who had been drawn into the military and thrown into the charnel house of war. They had been with him some months in this far-flung forest, following a trail of old campsites and corpses in an attempt to locate the site of the old library which had once been the seat of knowledge in the area.

The land nearby had long since been scoured of civilisation by combat; regardless of which deities claimed dominion over the land, it was the nature of power which dictated that the rulers of the land squabbled and fought. The land had slowly regrown, the forest taking over and finding its way across what had once been a thriving city to cover the mark of man with nature's touch. The living quarters had been relatively easy to locate, as it appeared that they had served as a home for a group of bandits or exiles who had strayed into the forest before moving on once more. The rest of the area, however, was a more difficult proposition.

"Rather than a blessing, students, tonight we take stock of what we have found, and what we seek. We have uncovered much of what this town contained; though uncovering most of the shops and houses is wasted energy, we at least have maps of where the streets ran, where the wells were located, and the town walls. We know that possibly just yards away from this building, the library sat and hopefully sits still, for such a collection of knowledge is harder to erase than people would expect.

"Why do we seek the library, rather than the buried treasury of some age-old warlord? Any of you could have made yourselves ample salaries working as scribes and scholars, and yet here you are - in the middle of a deity-forsaken forest, eking out our lives in the hope that we'll find the writings of people who died before our grandfathers drew breath.

"Several of you have spoken to me today of enduring nights filled with nightmares, or of finding yourself shivering under the midday sun knowing that something, somewhere, is very wrong. I do not know why, though I share a sense of forboding. It may be that this library contains knowledge which the world at large should not know; it may be that the forest contains something we should not meet.

"Keep your eyes open. We institute a shift rotation of teams keeping watch over the site from tonight onwards. All those on the first segment of the table, you will take your food outside with you and take first shift; we move down the table, with each team taking 3 hours on watch. Eat well, for if the forest does contain a menace then this may be our last full meal for a while. And stay safe."

Chalchiuhtotolin resumed his seat, and tried to ignore the low murmurings which resulted from his warning... as well as those inside his head, telling him not to dig any deeper, not to open the library, not to let out what would lie behind the great wooden doors which tomorrow would be uncovered.

Curiosity was, as ever, his greatest flaw.

And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:45 am
The Warlady

*Ristin stared out the window in deep thought while Shayanna gnawed on an old leather boot completly oblivious to the impending doom that only Ristin seemed to sense.
Ristin had gotten quite a few replies to his missive.
Surprisingly enough, most were Druids and Shamans.
Those with the magic of the earth rather than the Gods.
They had the strongest sensations. Some had even began dreading something weeks ago.

The ground began to shake as if an earthquake had struck followed by an incredably loud explosion, ash began falling from the sky as MT. Verton blew its top. Lava flowing down its sides harmlessly away from the kingdom*

"I did nae do it ye Eminance I swear!
I was with ye the whole time.
I do nae have the personal elan for such a blast."

*Ristin ignored her.
MT. Verton had been dead for over a milenia.
Not once in Ristin's life time had it ever erupted*

"Great One, I would recommend tightening the defenses and bringing the peasents off the fields and inside the fortress for their own safety. I will clear up the cathedrial to make room and to prep for emergencies."

*Shayanna twisted her face in thought trying to figure out the reasoning behind this as the lava flow was harmlessly going the other way.

"When in doubt with Ristin, agree."

She concluded*

"Ye Eminance.
I want the peasent brought into safety.
Prep ye cathedrial to take in any refugees we cannae handle at the keep."

"An excellant suggestion.
It will be done."

*On his way to the Cathedrial he was stopped by a page.
Taking a knee and averting his eyes, he held up a rolled pachment which Ristin promptly read*

Quote:
Greetings:

You are invited to attend an exploration of signs, prophecy, and recent events at the Library of Tonan in three days' time.

New information has come to light that may interest you and the entirety of your kingdoms.

Reservations are neither required nor requested; all interested parties are invited to attend. Please refer to the map on the reverse for directions.

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

*Ristin rolled up the pachment, paused then decided it was best to get as many involved as possible. There was talk among even his own faith of possible crucifixion for those that gave these preminiotions some actual thought*

"Child, I want this parchment copied and sent to all of the people I have corresponded with over the last few days.

Attach a foot note.
The meeting is endorsed by Cardinal Ristin Pieare.
Let those faithful to the Warlord of the heavens attempt to crucify me."

*Ristin was both amused and curious about these other religious figures. He had been searching for modern day clergy for some time, but had no clue it would be under conditions of possible hostility*

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:30 am
Stablehand

Later that day a new missave came by messenger.

Quote:
Greetings:

You are invited to attend an exploration of signs, prophecy, and recent events at the Library of Tonan in three days' time.

New information has come to light that may interest you and the entirety of your kingdoms.

Reservations are neither required nor requested; all interested parties are invited to attend. Please refer to the map on the reverse for directions.

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

She looked on what the map stated. It seamed that it would make for a longer journey than she would like. If she made good time she would make it in three days. If not it would take four or more. She prepared herself with a few additional white wrap sets and her finery that she only used when she needed something of an offical apperance. A small number of soldiers were with her with all nessecary provisions. Without another look back she took her own visions of the dessert sands. She only hoped that this meeting would prove to be without any problems.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:35 pm
Stablehand

Kellen held his blade up before him as he made his way up the passage and toward the light. For months he and Granger had been lost in the caverns and tunnels that seemed to crisscross under the very skin of Tonan.

Of battles there had been many, too many. Battered and bruised they had sought shelter in a natural formation of rock - or at least what they had though was natural. It had turned out to be goblins, hundreds of them.

Granger had sacrificed his life so that Kellen might have a chance to survive. Kellen remembered...

The cleft of rock cut across the wide expanse of granite. Its jagged edges grabbed at Kellen as he pushed himself through. Bleeding from numerous cuts and scrapes as well as sword slashes, he paused for a moment.

That’s when he heard it, or rather didn't hear it. Granger was not following him. He scrambled to the cleft and peered through it towards his friend.

Granger! What are you doing man!! You have to come now, the goblins are close - this is our only way to by any time to escape!

From the gloom he heard his reply, I'm tired my lord. Let me do this last thing for you. Let me serve you in the only way left to me. Go. Run and pray that you get out of this accursed darkness.

I will not leave you! Kellen said as he pushed himself back into the cleft and began to claw his way towards Granger. He was at the half way point and could just see Grangers head silhouetted against the glow given off by the moss at the mouth of the cleft when he heard the goblins.

Whooping and hollering rebounded within the cleft They have our scent now Kellen, for Leto's sake turn your ass around and go! Don't let me have died for nothing!

The old soldier engaged the goblins with his sword. Kellen had backed out the way he had come, listening to the metallic ringing of Grangers sword upon the goblin's shields and swords. As he stepped out of the cleft a cry rang out, as if the very rocks themselves were crying out.

RRRUUUUNNNN!!!

Kellen ran. He could hear the goblins clawing their way through the cleft, their claws scratching against the rough stone passage. Silently he prayed to Leto for Granger, for himself, for the death of his enemies, any kind of release from this torment.

Leto answered his prayers....

Yeah Leto had answered his prayers alright. The earth began to shake, knocking Kellen to the floor of the cavern he had been threading his way through, the goblins in hot pursuit. The floor of the cavern had been littered with razor sharp rock shards and Kellen had sliced his knees and hands on them as he fell but it was nothing compared to what the goblins experienced.

Kellen watched in amazement as the floor beneath their feet simply fell away. The tiny circles of their bottomless eyes had grown huge with shock and then they were gone. No sound was issued, only the sound of them striking the new chasm's walls.

Kellen had laughed then, he had laughed for a long time until tears no longer ran down his face and the blood had dried on his hands. Carefully he had stood and then he had felt the draft. The breeze of air that meant that somewhere, close by was a way out.

He had followed the wind and had found the exit that had been opened for him. As he passed from the earth into the open air he collapsed onto the grass. In the far distance he could see a mountain smoking, the people like ants were running to and fro loading carts and making toward a building of some kind in the distance. It seemed that his earthqauke could be both a blessing and a curse.

Kellen didn't really care, he was just glad to be out of the dark, if only Granger had been able to be there with him.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:01 pm
Stablehand

It had been some time since he started walking.
               Allready he had gone through many vilage, many realm.
               Rumors of events to come,
               impending doom seemed to fill the streets.

As he walked, stopping at a tree now, at a flower then.
               Kneeling beside em, his fingers exploring them,
               Almost as if he was talking to their minds.
               And so he was, in a way.

The plants to were uneasy he felt.
               They to felt of comming change.
               Of events which could well spell the end to it all,
               yet they to were at a loss at what was wrong.

Some said it was the earth itself.
               Some said it was the rain in the sky.
               Some plants even thought it was the light of the sun.
               But as the men walking seeking did not know,
               so it seems a lot of the plantlife was at a miss.

For days he walked, as finally he passed through a city,
               Papers stuck into a wall, as if it was some notice.
               Searching for answers,
               yet not finding his attention turned to those.

Reading the first one, which seemed days old.
               A letter asking about events amiss in the world.

Quote:
Greetings esteemed Colleagues of faith and mind,

First of all let me say that although I may disagree with your particular faiths and beliefs, I respect them.
I come to you not as an enemy, but of a person of mutual divine and spiritual interists.

I have sensed, or should I say felt; an Ominous presence of dread in my mind. It has grown stronger by the hour and I am convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is not caused by my Lord Barnabas, or has anything to do with my faith at all.

It is with keen interist that I inquire as to your states of mind.
Am I alone in this?

I respectfuly await your reply's.

--}Ristin Pieare{--
Cardinal of the Warstate of Altercation

For a moment the ancient wondered if he should reply.
               It was clear more were troubled about this sense of foreboding
               Then he realised he did not know how old the letter was.
               What date it was to the world outside.
               And even less where this state of Altercation was.

Then his hand moved on to another note,
               He guessed it was some kind of reply to Ristin's letter.

Quote:
Greetings:

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

The letter seemed new.
               And to speak of the same events as Ristin's did.
               He wondered how much time was left.
               Realising he would have to go.

He who felt the call of change,
               Taking the letter he watched the map on the back.
               As he compared it to the landmarks,
               and cities that were around.

Finding it would take a day, maybe two to reach.
               It had to be done. This was an event he could not miss.
               And so it was that the pale man started walking again.
               Ever following his strange path.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:47 pm
Stablehand

The shaman stood inside the door quietly waiting to be acknowledged, watching the back as of the Leader of his Tribe. The taste in his mouth was bitter, bitter as gall. He should have been the leader of the tribe not this conniving woman that had bewitched his dear brother and then murdered him. Poisoned Gazali suspected. He had died a cruel painful death. And now the bitch upstart had the temerity to keep him waiting. Him! The Shaman of the Seuche tribe. Hate smouldered within his heart ‘Did she not know what power he had at his hand?’

‘What is it Gazali?’ her voice was as smooth as silk and as cold as the blue in her eyes. Her gaze trapped his and for a time he felt he was falling down down down deep into the clear icy waters found in the polar region. A sensation of numbness swirled around him and he clawed his way mentally to the surface and as he took a gasp of breath the spell that had bound him broke.

Breathlessly he spoke, 'Please pardon my intrusion Azra', the niceties like sandpaper on his grief ensuring his wound of hate would never heal. 'One of the young lads, the seers had another vision'. She said nothing just raised her eyebrow in a subtle questioning way and he pondered for a moment just how much to tell her. He cleared his throat, he breath now steady and continued, 'he found himself standing in the forest when two birds flew overhead. He did not know why but he followed them. They landed .... '

Azra stifled a sigh of boredom. She was tired of the soothsayer and the doomsayer already and it had been barely a moon since she had taken on the mantle and responsibility of her husband’s title. They, the tribes’ people had wanted to bestow it upon Gazali but she had told them she was with child and that it should remain in her keeping until her husbands’ child was born. That would give her a few months to dispose of Gazali and feign a miscarriage.

'… but when they moved the coals aside the bread was gone. It was as if it had never been'. The words filtered through her thoughts and she shuddered violently as a cold finger clawed its way down her spine. If she had been a superstitious woman she could almost have imagined that he had told her a tale of herself.

Taking a deep breath she spoke quitely and with confidence as if her heart was not beating so hard and so fast she fancied it might explode. 'It sound to me like it’s a warning. I will take it to the council and see what they determine it might be'.

Gazali opened his mouth to speak, to protest then thought better of it. What better way to undermine her and allow her to reveal the grasping woman she truly was, than to do it amongst her peers. The corner of his mouth twitched slightly as he turned his secret smile inward. 'As you wish Azra'. He bowed stiffly and without waiting to see if she had anything further for him retreated backward out of the room.

With the Shamans retreat Azra considered again the prophesy, a strange foreboding filled her and she knew without a doubt that she had to rid herself of Gazali. He was the only thing that stood between her and the Queen ship of the Seuche tribe and from there well … the Gy’Bur were for the taking. She already knew her coin had been well spent among the traders that passed by the great altar. Even some of the soothsayers had been more than eager to, how would you describe it, embellish their prophesy to her advantage for the promise of a few extra coins, or rare dyes or parchment made from the hide of unborn calves, the latter were both rare and expensive. She smiled to herself, all was as she had been told, and the foreboding she had felt earlier forgotten amid her lust for power.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:47 pm
Stablehand

Blinking with amazement Brett rubbed her eyes wondering if the sight she had materialised into was real. She looked again, shaking her head slowly in disbelief, it was real. Baccarin Spires had in her absence become a thriving community. Where once had been a barren cobbled courtyard the only hint of what had been were the foundations that had remained. Now, now as if by magic it had all been rebuilt and the people, where had the people come from?

A slight woman with mousy coloured hair and with a snotty nosed child in tow hurried towards her. Brett spoke to her as she approached and the woman stopped. "Where have all these people come from she asked". The woman frowned and looked a Brett oddly, "They have always been here Miss. I was born and raised here just as all of these people were".

Brett must have looked as confused as she felt. The woman continued, "Are you feeling alright would you like me to help you inside?" Before Brett could respond the woman had taken her by the arm and led her up the stairs. The door opened before them and she was led into the great hall that was filled with servants apparently going about their business or attending to the needs of the people that seemed to be conducting business of some description in the hall.

"Ah! Your Ladyship we have been expecting you". An older man approached dressed impeccably in a suit that befitted a steward. "Welcome back to Baccarin Spires". "Thank you but who are you? Who are all these people? The last time I was here this place was deserted." "Let me take those" he said as he took her panniers from her and handed them to the lad that had suddenly appeared beside him. "First things first Miss you must be hungry and breakfast is waiting in your room. I will escort you and perhaps answer some of your questions along the way". He turned to the woman "Thank you Elesha I will look after her Ladyship now". The woman who had helped Brett bobbed a slight curtsey in her direction before taking the young child by the hand and leaving the way she had come.

Still confused but somewhat obediently Brett followed the Steward up the stairs towards the rooms she had occupied on her last visit. He opened the door stepping through and inviting her in. Following him into the room she noticed it was much the same as when she was last here.

Turning to the Steward she asked again, "Who are you and where did all these people come from?" He replied as he indicated to the lad to place the bags on the small bench beside the door. "My name your Ladyship is Mar’zal and I am the Steward of Baccarin Spires. As to where the people have come from; they have always been here. Perhaps what you are really wanting answered; is why you did not see them on your last visit?" She nodded and he continued, "I cannot answer that question for you, but you might find the answers in library. There is a missive that has arrived waiting for you also."

"A missive? Surely Iblade hasn’t already received the missive I left for him"; Brett shook her head, "Surely not. No one knows I am here". Mar’zal gave a slight shrug. "Do you wish to freshen up first or do you wish to eat now". He lifted the cover that revealed a plate full of sliced grilled bacon, tomatoes eggs and roundels of fresh fragrant bread. Brett’s stomach rumbled in response. "I think I will eat first" she grinned "then I’ll wander down to the library". "Very well You Ladyship", he bowed "I will be back later to clear things away". "Just one more thing Mar’zal before you go; why do you keep referring to me as Your Ladyship?" He smiled at her "I think you will find the answer to that also in the library".

Keeper of scrolls, Callineb

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:21 pm
Stablehand

Something is happening…Did you get everything…Not that ugly thing…Your mother!...I want my bear!...Forget it, just hop in the back…We can’t take your fathers spittoon with us…

Kellen walked through the throngs of people and heard snippets of conversation as he walked. It seemed that he had walked smack dab into the middle of an evacuation. He had tried to talk to one of the soldiers that were standing by watching and he had gotten nothing in response except for the typical, ‘move along, pack your stuff, by order of so and so and such and such you have to leave’.

Kellen was less than impressed. He dodged a man who kicked a boot at him as he passed to close to the mans cart, Get away you vagrant!

Kellen cursed the man for a fool and then chuckled to himself. With his tattered clothes in probably did look like a vagrant of some kind. He needed answers to what was going on, not only here but also with the Ministry. He had been to long out of touch with his brethren, to long out of touch with his people on the Shining Coast as well. He needed news, and in a town like this the only place for news was the local tavern.

It didn’t take him long to find a prosperous looking tavern. He straightened his clothing as much as possible and then made his way through the entrance. For a moment his nerves kicked up a notch as his eyes adjusted to the gloom.

Here now, we don’t serve beggars and vagrants in the Dead Llama. said a voice from the shadows in front of Kellen. As Kellen's eyes adjusted to the gloom he made out a bar with a man polishing glasses and packing them in crates as he finished each one. There were perhaps a dozen people in the tavern with little activity besides drinking going on.

You heard me stranger, you better have gold or I better see your backside sliding back out the way you came.

Kellen shook his head and reached into the small coin pocket behind his belt buckle and tossed a few of the coins from it onto the bar in front of the bartender. Four gold coins spun on end until each came to rest, on edge – the bartender dropped the glass he has been polishing in shock.

I want your best red wine, a loaf of bread, a square of cheese, and news. Kellen said as he took a seat at the bar.

The bartender nodded and produced from under the bar a dusty bottle of red wine, along with a loaf of bread and the requested cheese.

Here you are my lord. My name is Havisham. Anything else you need you just ask for.

I need news Havisham. Why is everyone leaving? What is going on? What is happening to the lands of Tonan?

Havisham paused for a moment and then leaned across the bar towards Kellen so as not to be heard by everyone.

I heard whispers from some who know, those with the sight, that it is the end of the world. Two nights ago a gypsy woman walked in and ordered a barrel of the finest rum. I kicked her out of course, her being the lowest kind of riff-raff and she cursed me like a Gonland Sailor. She said that the world would end and that I would die and I wouldn’t have the Gypsies to push around anymore.

Course I have heard other rumors in the last two days, especially since the evacuation was ordered. I was also asked to post a letter from the Librarian. Strange things are in motion, make no mistake.
Havisham spoke quickly and low so as not to be overheard by anyone else. As he spoke about the letter from the Librarian he pointed to door. Kellen turned and saw that there was indeed a note nailed to the backside of it.

Thank you Havisham. You have been most helpful. Have you heard anything about the Ministry of Stone or the Shining Coast?

Havisham shook his head no and returned to crating up his wares. Kellen ate his meal in silence as he thought of what all Havisham had said. His eyes kept glancing at the letter nailed to the back of the front door. Once he got full, he stuffed the remainder of the food into his pocket and walked over to the door to read the letter from the Librarian.

Quote:
Greetings:

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

It looked like whatever questions that Kellen had might be answered at the Library. He counted out what was left of his money, it was just enough for a horse and a change of clothes. Whistling to himself, Kellen walked from the Dead Llama tavern with new energy.

First he had to find a horse, then some clothes and then it was off to the Library. Kellen loved it when a plan came together.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:08 pm
Stablehand

Long did he search the Isles from No Mans Point to the north all the way to the dark unknowns of the south yet tainted by mortal feet or blood, and still he saw no physical calamity upon the Isle. He searched the lands to the west that once belonged to the house of Tiavain yet there was no sign, he travelled as far east as the shores of the Letoian kingdoms and yet still all seemed unervingly content. Yet even his companion could feel the sense of foreboding and was nervous by sensation, and unease.

He found no sign or word of the prophet anywhere and this troubled him most of all, if calamity would strike the prophet would be leading it as was his right. Pyren held no alliegence to any of the gods that claimed piety of the mortals that walked the lands, no banner did he fly before him as such he was free to travel the lands unhindered by belief. He was on his return when he had found himself hungry and in need of thirst quenching, as he flew over the lands he saw a kingdom appear ahead of him.

He returned to the ground just outside of the realm and walked into the keep. The guards eyed him suspiciously as he approached the gates, but being ten feet in height and barrel chested made many take second notice of him as he approached.

Finding a tavern he crouched his head as he walked in and took seat by a window, looking around he saw many staring at him in huddled murmor. He removed his hood and threw a bag of gold upon his table, the tie that bound the opening released upon impact spilling it's contents on the table.

The waitress that was hesitant to serve him was pushed by the inn keeper to attend his need or want. His dark green eyes made many turn away as his gaze fell upon them in return to the stares.

Mmm 'lorddd, how may i serve you tttoday...The sound of her voice gave evident of fear and Pyren noticed she was rubbing her hands together out of nervous habit. He had come for food and drink and wished no trouble so in turn he simply smiled and took on a cheerful face as he looked at and in hushed tone he spoke. I seek meal and drink, and perhaps some information, i can pay well if what i seek is of value. She did her best to smile at his request yet he could sense her fear, he tossed another small bag of gold towards her. I mean no harm to you or your people unless provoked to do so, i am in search of what seems to be a foreboding fear that travels the land and talks in magic whisper on the wind.

She looked at him with a odd puzzled expression as she wiped the table and pocketed the second bag of gold. Deftly she looked to etheir side as to avoid any over hearing and spoke to him. M'lord what you seek is real, many of the high lords from all faiths and high priests of the temples were in turmoil this day she whispered...I shall return shortly with your meal and drink. She turned and walked back to the bar, Pyren watched as she handed the inn keeper the bag of gold for his meal and drink. She then disappeared behind the kitchen door. Turning his attention to the inn keeper he watched as the man made him his drink and then him calling to her thru a window. The woman returned and gathered his drink on a tray and brought it to him, in whispered tone she spoke to him again. My younger brother is a novice for our temple, he had heard his mentor talking to another high preist of the foreboding of which you speak.

A message was recieved from Cardinal Ristin Pieare a heathen preist, but the contents he had learned bore no malice or threat but was a gesture of the learned share in their findings...
She turned to the sound of the ringing bell and made her way to the kitchen in haste, momentarily the door swung open again and his meal was being brought to him. Her take this it, my brother snuck this to me today from his mentors desk it is a note that may provide you with more then local tavern rumor. She coupled the parchment within his cutlery hand cloth and placed it beside his meal, she then bowed to him and spoke. Will their be anything else i can get for you sir..

The meal smelled good and he sipped the tankard with a smile appearing, he looked at her and smiled. Nae , thank ye this will do fine for now, perhap another drink when i am finished.
The women bowed her head again and returned to the other patrons needs, he reached inside his cloak and retreived a few other scrolls and placed them beside the cutlery roll in a subtle hand movement he began to unfold the parchment and read it's contents.
Quote:
Greetings:

You are invited to attend an exploration of signs, prophecy, and recent events at the

Library of Tonan in three days' time.

Reservations are neither required nor requested; all interested parties are invited to

attend. Please refer to the map on the reverse for directions.

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

Turning the paper over it showed the location of the great library, and at least one place he had no as yet checked for sign of this foreboding. He finihed his meal and the waitress returned with his second tankard. He read over some other of the scrolls and then gathered them up and returned them to his cloak. His downed the remaining contents of the tankard and gathered his belongings, he tossed two more gold upon the table as he made to leave and walked out the door. He tapped his staff and the black shroud enveloped him to the astonishment and startlement of several passer by's the voiced their displeasure. In a blink of an eye he was gone and back shooting across the lands only now he was heading for the great library for an answer.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:21 pm
Stablehand

My Greetings to you Ristin Cardinal Pieare:

Even you be a heathen, I write this to you at the urging of some in my guild. I know not if the following answers your query, nor am I sure that I am well-advised to aid thee, yet, nonetheless, I shall relate to you the following most remarkable incident.

Some time ago, shortly after this month's moon had been born and gained her horns, I did here tell of of a most splendid beast roaming the forests not far from my lands. Several reports came to me of those who, whilst abroad at night, did see a magnificent hart with a coat of purest gold that didst shine with its own glow, a copper mark he bore upon his brow, his eyes were as emeralds, and his horns they were purest silver.

When I did hear these, there awoke in my breast the desire to have this splendid beast for my own, so I did call to my men and order that they prepare a hunt, and did tell them to use such instruments only that would not harm the coat of this beast for I wished it whole and undamaged.

At last the hunt was ready and we set out to capture this most wondrous beast. Although I took with me my best hounds, I made sure they were well-leashed for I hoped to take the hart alive so that I might show it to one and all that they might marvel.

For several days we did hunt in vain, and so finally I did call to my priests and urge that they sacrifice again and ask for blessings to our endeavor, and I did promise that I wouldst dedicate the hart to my god and keep him on the temple grounds. That very night we caught our first glimpse of our prey. The next night, I was briefly separated from the larger part of the part and had with me only mine hounds and but a few men. It was then that I glimpsed the hart and did chase him to a clearing by a stream with banks high and steep.

For a moment we paused and I did gaze into his verdant eyes, and stood in silence. In sooth, this marvelous hart had no peer, and I was stunned by his beauty and more than before I did desire to have him for mine own. For several minutes all was silence; even the hounds, though they did strain at their harnesses, made no noise.

At last the silence was broken by the call of a horn nearby, and the hart did start, and with one graceful bound it did leap over both me and my hounds and disappear behind us. I, myself, woke as from a dream, and then sounded my own horn and gave chase.

Soon I caught up to the hart, for my men had arrayed a series of ropes and nets and had managed to capture it thusly, although, in sooth, it seemed to me that such a creature would have been able to avoid these if he so chose, nonetheless, he stood there in the ropes, tall and proud with haughty gaze.

As I rode near my heart leapt in my chest to see such a magnificent beast and to know it was mine. But as I approached, it shook its body and the ropes and nets fell from it as if they were but fragile webs. It bunched its hindquarters and would surely have escaped, but one of my men did club it on its head and it fell to its knees and then collapsed.

Leaping from my horse, I raced to the hart, but even as I touched him, his spirit did pass. Angrily I cuffed the villain who had killed my prize, but I did not punish him as much as I ought for my mind was elsewhere.

Although it did grieve me to see the magnificent hart motionless and bereft of life, I did give the orders to my men to remove his splendid hide and to prepare the meat so that we might feast and give thanks.

As I my men went to work, I turned away in thought, but soon I heard a cry from my men that drew me back. My men had opened the chest and belly that we might give sacrifice to Angelique, but there was naught but void where the stomach and liver should have been, and it was but empty where the heart should lie. Truly we were most astonished for never have a seen such a thing and it did cause me to wonder.

When we had finished preparing the carcass and the hide we did journey back towards the castle, but as the sun did rise, and its rays cast down upon my prize, the splendid silver horns and golden hide did disappear as if they were but mist. One of my men did try to save the hide and that part which he held in his hand only was saved. This small part which I send to you enclosed separately in its own pouch as guarantor of the truth of my tale.

I have told this tale to some in my guild and it is they who did urge me to tell it to you likewise though I do not know if it be what you desire.

With great reluctance I thus do send this to you,

Lord Talus of Kithkinnen

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:06 pm
Average

The air was damp in the cave, drops of water echoed loudly off the bare walls as the rain found itsway down through the earth. The young demon had temporarily set up residence in this, hole. His breath was shallow and his heartbeat rapid as the walls began to shake.

Great crashes could be heard in the depths as rocks fell and walls cracked. The earthquake hardly registered in the demon's mind as he slept. They had become so frequent as of late that they were no longer a surprise. As the shaking gradually stopped, somthing caught Nether's ear as he awoke with a start.

Light footsteps could be heard slowly making thier way through the darkness. Leaning up, the young demon strained to hear. The footsteps were steady as if they could see in the dark, then suddenly a voice spoke.

"Read"

The voice was unlike any the young demon had ever heard before. Deep and distant it was gone as suddenly as it had arived, taking the footsteps with it.

Blinking Nether's eyes began to give off a bright blue glow, iluminating the cave around him. Great rift's had formed in the cave floor, the walls were completly rearranged, and the cieling hung a good 10 feet lower.

Looking to floor once more Nether noticed a piece of battered parchment. Kneeling he picked it up and unravled it his eyes glowing brighter than before as he read

Quote:
Greetings:

You are invited to attend an exploration of signs, prophecy, and recent events at the

Library of Tonan in three days' time.

Reservations are neither required nor requested; all interested parties are invited to

attend. Please refer to the map on the reverse for directions.

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

For a moment the young demon stood in silence, rereading the message that lay before him. Slowly, the glow faded and the young demon was engulfed by the darkness once again.

The message was completly puzzeling to him. So was his visitor, he searched the air for a scent and come up lacking. Why had someone delivered this to him? To go through the trouble of tracking him to this hell hole.

After several hours of contemplation, Nether made his way out of the cave. The rain was still coming down harder than ever, lighting streaked accross the skies, the thunder that followed shook the cave once more as several trees fell. Looking up, the sky swirled and tossed. It almost looked as if it was about to fall.

With a sigh Nether turned over the parchment and examined the map. After looking over the instructions he rolled it up once more and placed it inside he cloak.

"Very well"

With that he started his journey, with no idea where he was going or why.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:04 pm
Stablehand

The journey was far longer than she would have liked. With luck she had made it to the city in enough time. She found an inn in Tonan that had the rooms needed. Now, all she needed to do was sit and wait to hear of when this meeting was to occur.

When she finally laid down to sleep a dream came to her. Like the first one, the sands caused a pitch darkness that seamed to envlope the land. Though these same sands was the living spirit of Angelique. Before her eyes the lady fell to reval a trio of prymids.

Then she woke, she took a piece of parchment provided by the innkeeper and wrote down the dream. She even etched the symbol of the pyrmids and what was on them, the symbols for Angelique, Barbados, and Leto. For some reason, she also drew another trio off to the far distance.

She staired for some time at what she had drawn. She knew what some of it meant. Though what was unseen in the dream was far more signifant.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:19 pm
Teh Spam!

Bob the servant smiled. Ever since Nagash had dismissed the priests, the servants were experiencing a very quiet time. Bob, who took care of guests was quite busy when all the priests came to predict the end of the world, the end of many people's lives or the end of the light at the end of the tunnel (or something like that).
He strolled through the gardens and cast a glance at the terraces. Nagash lay there, surrounded by some close friends and relatives and they all seemed to have a jolly good time. The smiled once again and enjoyed the peaceful setting and went on doing nothing.

Then a messenger arrived. Bob, whose good mood could not be ruined, slapped the man focefully on the back and welcomed him.

" Good afternoon! I am Bob! What brings you here on this more than wonderful day? "

" I bring word from miss Evangeline, Bob. She might need the help of your lord. "

" I think he won't be eager to do so, friend. Look there on the terraces. He is quite busy doing nothing, as you can see. In fact, virtually everyone here is. Blame the climate. "

He looked up at the sun and couldn't stop smiling.

" Deliver him this letter nonetheless please. He will have to decide for himself whether or not to go. Fare thee well Bob. "

" Will do old horse! Go to the kitchens if you want some refreshments, okay? Cheerio!! "

Bob slapped the man forcefully on his back again and strolled to the terraces, stopping every now and then to admire some of the flora. As he plucked some strawberries and allowed his thoughts to wander for a while, indulging in the exquisite taste, he thought that life could not be any better. The wars of late had only cost them some borderlands. Lands no one wanted anyway. And here, in the heartlands, not a single war-casualty could be mourned. Only murcenaries and foreign soldiers had died.
A bird landed on the nearby cypress, the sound startling Bob and bringing him back to reality. He slowly continued to the terrace where Nagash sat. Once he arrived, he was welcomed warmly.

" Hello there, Bob! Wonderful day isn't it? "

" Indeed it is, master Nagash! I am terribly sorry that I have to bother you with this, but some messenger from Evangeline arrived just now and he delivered a message. She wants you to come to the library and investigate the signs and prophecies the priests are quite preoccupied with. Shall I tell her to stuff it? "

" No, Bob. Evangeline is a very kind lady. I do not wish to speak like that to her. Do you have a quill and parchment at hand? "

" Yes sir. "

" Good. Write down the following:

Dear Evangeline, I am sorry that I have to tell you that I shall not join you in the library. The weather's too good for the world to end. You should know that disasters tend to happen when the weather is bad. Armageddon probably prefers rain and other metereological unpleasantries above sunshine and nice warm temperatures.
I wish you all the luck in your ventures at the library. Have fun!
Cheers, Nagash

You got that, Bob? "

" I do. Shall I give it to Evangeline's messenger to return it to her? "

" Good idea. Off you go! "

Bob went to the kitchens quite fast, lest he'd have to deliver the message himself. Fortunatly for him the man was still eating and resting up a bit. Meanwhile, Nagash was determined to continue this decadent lifestyle until something happened that was a real cause for worrying. Or until the weather turned bad... These so-called omens would not distract him. And he wished that the priests who wanted to bore him with their talk of atrocities would go and die someplace dark.

End of the world. Ridiculous...

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:22 am
Stablehand

Who calls?

Where are you?

Ah. The Mirror again.

You? I thought you had left. I thought the darkness had finally swallowed your vile words, and evil curses. You rouse me from my sleep, from my state of bliss that I find when the maddness does not consume, and destoy that small vestige of respite I can find.

Why do yo...

What?

Why would you say these things!? Why would you continue to torment me when you have taken all I have? Only the thoughts of Kepi still alive in the desert and Amuneti visiting me keep me strong enough to hold enough of myself to last each day.

What portents?

That cannot be. My lands they may not be, though we live here now. WHY do you grant me these moments of lucidity only to fill them with such destruction?

What message?
Why do you even pretend to show any care? You do not wis..

I see.
Believe? No. See, yes.
I will. Though it is not for you. It is for what is MINE!

I did not answer her. Turning from that vile glass, I take several deep breaths. I must speak with the others.

Heart of Insanity

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:36 am
Traveler

Bran stood outside the library watching as the people flocked to the meeting. Some were people he had known in a previous life, others were people he had known of, but that was all. None could see him situated as he was in the shadows, just another vagrant lounging in the shade, hiding from the midday sun.

Being dead was something that had always been a mystery for him. It wasn't that he wanted to be the walking undead, but beggars can't be choosers.

One or two of the dignitaries seemed to sense him watching. They turned thier heads and at least looked his way. It was of no concern to him. To all intents and purposes he was trash.

How long he lay there waiting he did not know. He had been here for two days at least, waiting and watching those who entered the city, those responding to Evangiline's call. He planned on joining them himself eventually, but first he had to speak to someone about the current state of affairs.

He shuffled his feet with irratation. He missed being warm.

He watched a merchant train enter the city. Its drivers lashing at their pack animals to force a way trhough the crowd. The brightly colored wagons reminded him of the Hylots; those solitary travelers who traveled from place to place repairing items and trading trinkets for other things.

When he was a child it had been said that they stole children as well. Bran's father, Artigan Feargahal had banned them from the kingdom but Bran had seen them, spoke to thim and upon assuming the throne of the Shining Coast had lifted the ban.

Lost in his memories, Bran almost missed the last wagons passenger. It was a young man of modest build, long brown hair tied in a scrap of leather at the nape of his neck. He was the spitting imgae of Bran.

Kellen had finally arrived.

Smiling to himself Bran shock the dirty rags from him and stood. The crowd shied away from him as he walked towards the wagons. His eyes were locked on Kellen with a passionate intensity.

It had been to long since he had seen his son.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:26 pm
Stablehand

Kellen had lost his horse two days ago. Aparently the horse had not been the healthiest of animals and after three days of hard riding, the horse had simply not gotten up.

A slight set-back. Kellen had hitched up his gear, stripped the saddle and things from the horse and hidden them in some dense brush so that he could retrun for them and he had started walking.

His luck hadn't left him though, only a few hours later a caravan of Hylot's had stopped and offered him a ride if he would promise the use of his sword in case they were attacked.

Kellen had jumped at that offer and had ridden into the city on the back of the last wagon. He had snagged an appled from the basket of a passing merchant and was happily munching on it when a hand snaked out of the crowd and pulled him from his perch.

Kellen reached for his sword quickly, but the person put his own hand over Kellen's keeping him from drawing the blade out of its scabbard.

Peace my son. We must talk of things before making the journey to the library Whoever held him whispered in his ear as the person dragged Kellen back through the crowds toward an alley.

The voice sounded somewhat familiar but he couldn't place it.

Once in the alley, the man released Kellen from his grip.

You better have a good reason for dragging me off like that. I am not one known for my patience.

The man laighed as he pushed back his cloak, Now is that anyway to talk to your father?.

The cloak fell away and Bran stood there smiling at Kellen. Kellen had heard rumors of his father being alive and fighting with the Letites but he had never known what to really believe. Now he knew that it was all true.

He could see the clasp of Bran's cloak carried the coat-of-arms of the Crusaders of the Realms. Bran's sword, which had been hidden by the cloak of rags, had a large raven engraved in the pommel - another symbol of the Letites. Kellen wondered at the other rumor he had heard relating to his father - of him being part of the undead now.

I see that your true colors have finally reappeared father, not that you were ever much of one to begin with. Excuse me if I do not celebrate to much. Now what is it you wanted to tell me.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:45 pm