It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:56 am

Stop, children, what's that sound 
Stablehand

"Uh…" she said quietly, her eyes darting around, "um?"

She had no idea how Pyren had heard what she'd been thinking, and she was fairly certain that her mental state hadn't descended far enough to allow her to forget which words she'd spoken and which she'd merely thought.

Besides, he hadn't really asked any sort of question, had he? There was something there at the end, a vague sort of request for reassurance or answers, but she had neither in any large - or small - supply.

She was just as confused as they were, if not more so. She'd read too many predictions not to have gotten them all mangled together, and the last thing she wanted her mouth to do was begin to chain unrelated passages of doom and destruction together.

"I'll…uh…think about that," she said, more to herself than anyone else. Hopefully someone else would take up her slack in conversation with him, because there was now a very large man with a very low voice taking up the majority of her field of vision.

She was glad of his near-dissociation with politeness; it was good to hear someone speaking frankly. She had a feeling that among most of the others she was to run across, the courtly manners and blandly civilised turns-of-phrase were only to get worse.

"Well, you're right, Mr…ah, you hadn't given a name, have you? No problem, then - I've been mentally calling you Mr. Giant and I think that'll suit just fine, won't it? Right, then. Of course those people you mentioned could've given better shows, and that was probably because they were in search of a few coins for their dinner. As far as I know, no one's offered to pay me for my time, and in fact…" she stopped, frowned, and then continued, "well, that's a government matter, anyway."

"I don't know where the answer is. I've read through what references I could in preparation for what I said, my similarities to a charlatan notwithstanding, and I know as much as I said, which, as you have pointed out, wasn't very much at all. Seems as though most writers and prophets were only willing to give the vaguest of ideas anyway, so as not to alienate anyone by being completely wrong, and…" she paused with another frown, "do you hear that?"

Her eyes traveled past the giant's body, saw that Kaiten had re-entered the library…

How did I miss that?

…checked the feet of everyone standing around her and couldn't see any sign of hooves…

Something was coming on horseback, and very loudly at that.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:46 pm
Stablehand

He thundered through the valleys and down the narrow woodland trails which had last seen passage some months ago, when his wagon train had traversed the narrow passes in the other direction. Leaves stung his face as he rode through the areas where the trail had become overgrown, and the constant bite of the sun against his dry skin found him where the woodland canopy had fallen away. They slowed only when the horse began to tire, and when darkness eventually fell; laming the horse would scupper any chance of reaching the library before it was too late.

Unless it was already too late.

------

He was snatched back to wakeful alertness by the change in the ground; hard packed dirt gave way to cobblestone paving gave way to grass gave way to cobblest-

The horse slowed to a halt suddenly, turning in a small arc to face away from the huge building which they had finally reached. Chalchiuhtotolin fared little better, grabbing with desperation onto the saddle with his spare hand to retain his position if not his dignity. He paused for a few breaths as the horse, as calm as to suggest that a near-collision with a particularly solid looking building had never happened, wandered over to the nearby square to graze upon its sparse grass.

Chalchiuhtotolin, feeling as though his arrival could have been better handled, slid from the saddle and made a token effort to straighten his rough travelling clothes before making his way on unsteady feet towards the library. He gave a light knock upon the solid wooden door, through manners rather than any desire to attract immediate attention, and stepped inside; it took a second or two for his eyes to adjust to the murky half-light, and only another second to realise that immediate attention is what he'd attracted. He nodded politely to the woman who was looking in his direction, and hurried over to her.

The book served as his first greeting to the librarian, arriving as it did on her desk still covered in its makeshift cloth protection. He quickly removed the cloth to reveal its leather cover, and he flicked it open to the relevant pages with a familiarity which spoke of the panicked hours spent reading the passages at the dig site.

"Here, here, and here. I believe those passages corroborate your letter. I'd thought it was only a pensiveness born from discovering such an old building, but no - it seems like far more than that, especially if everyone's gathered here because of a shared vision of what's to come."

He paused for breath and took a moment to look around the room and try to make out the various forms and shapes which filled the room; the large fellow close by captured his curiosity for a good long look, with his eyes widening slightly as he took in the rest of the librarian's audience. He backed away from the table a step as the librarian leaned over to read the passages his dirt-crusted fingernail indicated, and gave a low whistle.

"Well, we've an eclectic bunch who've answered the call. Is that a Cardinal I see back there too? Well, all the better. It's certainly a dire enough situation to warranty it. What part of the cataclysm've you all foretold, then?

"And more immediately to the point... can any of you tell me when it last rained?"

And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:36 pm
Stablehand

"Rather dark in here, isn't it?" Her words were spoken to no one in particular; they served to pass the time between the man's entrance and his standing in front of her desk, which proceeded more rapidly than seemed normal.

Rather crowded, too.

She had little time for any other thoughts or a decent preliminary study of the new figure standing in front of her, as he produced the book almost as soon as his feet had stopped moving. She got a glance at the cover, but nothing more; she had to restrain herself from taking the volume out of his hands and studying it from every possible angle.

Must be older than most everything here except the map…

Before she could think to lose her patience, the book was open in front of her. She barely heard what he'd said after he'd jabbed his finger in the direction of three passages. She gave no thought to studying the formation of the characters; the words to which he'd pointed seemed to be hovering off the page, bringing themselves closer to her eyes.

She read slowly and silently.

Quote:
There is a knife stabbing itself
through the middle of the earth
and none of it is to hold - not centre
nor edges - when the waters recede.
The ashes and the dust, children of
what is to come, are arisen;
they walk like men, shaking their limbs,
salting the ground, showing the path.

Her hands clenched into fists.

Quote:
And then Algmon rose up, rattled his bones
in the wind. He opened his blind eyes;
the air began to move, began to circle,
began to swell itself with foulness.
He cried out, but the feeble noise was
swallowed. His body followed soon after.
Those hunched by thirst are taken first;
their rotten bodies feed the wind.

Her chest felt tight.

Quote:
The offerings began as small piles -
bones, brush, sticks, cloth. They marked
the fallen, who had lifted their arms
one final time and then breathed out.
The lightning begins it: heat and smoke
and sound. The wind carries the fire
to anything that will burn, to everything.

She heard the last thing he'd said - the question about the rain - and answered mechanically. "Hasn't rained for weeks." Her mouth was dry; there were questions flaring up in her mind, but she couldn't bring herself to speak again.

I don't think I'd really believed it, had I?

"There's your answer," she half-whispered to the giant.

Her eyes were blank, but still staring down at the open book; her fingers absently traced the faint pattern of the tattoo on her cheek.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:45 am
Average

Nether stood calmly as the demoness' forked tounge met his check. Nothing stirred. The fire in his chest long since extinguished. Ever since the night he had drank the foul liquid from her chalice, the young demon had been battling internally. A great war between his old self and the way he was now. For a time his old being had put up a decent sized fight keeping the demon under control. He had used it when needed but had never realeased it fully. Until now. Finially the elven in him had died, the demon inside roaring victoriously, as images of himself tore each other apart only to join and create somthing new. Somthing, abominabale(sp?).

His new self was colder, crueler, more destructive, and more bloodthirsty than anything imaginable. Yet, as always it hid its true form. It wore this shell of ice and flesh, to conceal the horror brooding within. Surly she had sensed a change in him. Not physical persay but his very aura was darker, uncaring, unforgiving.

"Nether...Nether..where are you going, Nether? I sense dischord in your being, it calls to me, it begs my presence. Tempted, indeed, to rend the flesh from bone and suckle the meat from sinew in an attempt to seek it's source."

"Discord? No.. For once in my Life my queen I have clearity, I have focus I have real desire. Everything leading up to this point has been a test, and I regret to inform you that i have passed."

The young Demon's eyes pulsed as he shifted his gaze towards the others.

"Do you smell it? The scent of panic, the fear of the unknown but real danger that each of these beings face? I felt it first in that damn cave. The very ground trembled as if it feared some dark prescence. "

Nether closed his eyes almost blissfuly as he recounted the screams of the very earth echoing in depths of the cave. The rending of the life givers flesh as rock and dirt slpit giving way to nothingness.

"Why have you summoned me with thoughts, Nether. What am I to be witness to?"

Opening his eyes once more the young demon turned and faced the taller Demones. His gaze hard and cold.

"With my help my Queen. You shall bare witness to the end. The end of the hypocrytical claim to faith that these beings bare so proudly. The end of the failed experiment known as life. The end of everything."

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:15 pm
The Warlady

*Ristin was a pacient drow. But even he was getting annoyed. He had assumed that Evangeline had done a lot of reading up on the matter and knew exactly what was going on. This apparently wasn't the case. He didn't know what to expect from her. He assumed she would be egotistical and eccentric, but she seemed hopelessly stressed, possibly lost, definatly clueless and uncomfortable.

"She sure is shorter than I expected."

He thought to himself.
Many seemed freaked over the eclipse that happened as of late and Ristin didn't know why.
It was common knowledge in the scientific community that the sun and the moons rotated around the planet.
This eclipse was unexpected, so logicly, either the sun or the moon was out of alienment.

"Hmmm.. or maybe the planet moved."

He thought to himself alarmed at the idea.

But then a book was rushed in, some obsecure stuff was read by Evangeline that could have meant pretty much anything.

"We are getting no where fast.
Someone has to take charge of this before poor goofy Evangeline has a nervous breakdown."

He thought to himself before clearing his throat*

"Ahh Hem..

Pardon me if I am speaking out of line.
It appears we have a very ancient text.
It talks about from my perspective, gibberish.

May I ask what the title of the book is and who the author is so we can check its authentication and insure we arent reading extreamly ancient children's fiction.

Pardon if I come across as rude, but I traveled many miles a Griffin no less and left a VERY powerful kingdom with a very unpredicatable Warlady completly on her own.
In a sense, that could be more catastrophic than any of this.

With no further adue, what are the facts?
We need to stop speculation and get to the bottom of this.
I give mass next week and dont want to still be here talking about Eclipses and the like."

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:48 am
Stablehand

She'd read the passages along with the librarian, standing as she was near her shoulder, and she'd stood considerate - lost in thought - until the Cardinal had finished speaking.

"I assume you are a learned man, Cardinal?" Kaiten looked toward the man who had spoken, sure of his identity without any formal introduction.

It did help that the man with the book had pointed him out, of course.

She straightened herself to her full height - which wasn't much - and crossed her arms over her chest. "Forgive me, Evangeline, for speaking in a manner that may be out of turn, but…" she narrowed her eyes, "…it seems like the right thing to do."

She was surprising herself; she didn't feel the slightest bit nervous, and her words were steady, carefully pronounced. "I admit I don't know much about this place, but I assume by your title that you are some of a religious figure?" Kaiten wasn't the slightest bit interested in hearing a response - not yet, at any rate.

Though I am making no small number of assumptions…

"I am sure your familiarity with religious texts is greater than my own. Still, I can say that I have read a small handful from a rather wide assortment of beliefs, and the one thing that I have found to be true about religious texts - and usually of all texts that purport to hold some truth or another - is that the reader has to do at least some measure of separating the wheat from the chaff." She briefly wondered, before continuing, why she was defending Evangeline; there was no direct reason to which she could point.

"And sometimes it takes several readings of a passage to grasp its true meaning. Of course, those who are accustomed to reading such things can usually pull at the relevant portion easily enough - faster and more accurately than the rest of us, at any rate." Kaiten chewed on her lip for a brief second. "Practise makes perfect, I guess."

She looked down at the top of Evangeline's head and suppressed the urge to put her hand on the woman's shoulder. Such a gesture of companionship would be too much; she didn't want to risk forming a united front with a woman who hadn't yet agreed with what she was saying.

"If you think that the passages that the man pointed out to Evangeline were gibberish…" her eyes fell to Evangeline's desk and the book open there, "…well, no matter, I suppose. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

"The opinion that I am entitled to is this: those passages describe exactly what's to happen. Evangeline said it hadn't rained, not in several weeks, right? I'll bet the majority of you don't remember any recent rain, either. If there's no rain, well…that's passage one well enough, isn't it? The land turns to ashes and dust, right?"

A vague rumbling began at her feet, as if on cue.

"Oh. Right. And the earthquakes - knives stabbing through the earth. I think it covered those, too?"

The rumbling subsided.

"I expect those'll be more frequent. Anyway - passage two's dealing with the wind and foulness, and that's usually a plague of some sort. A nasty one at that, if it's to be carried on the air.

"So, once we're all dried out and plague-ridden, that leaves us to die in an all-consuming fire. Passage three, right?"

Kaiten shrugged her shoulders, made a helpless gesture with her hands. "I was studying charters before…this. Reading those was like walking through a maze. That book makes much more sense."

She relaxed her arms. "I could be wrong, of course. But it doesn't seem like a man would come in breathless in order to hand over a book of gibberish to Evangeline. And if I had any land, or any other place here to call home, I think I'd be making preparations for what's to come."

A sad smile crossed her lips. "If there are any preparations that can be made."

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:47 am
The Warlady

*Ristin conceeded the point with a slight nod as Kaiten shed a bit of light on the vagueness and also noticed her defensive posture*

"I am the authority on religious documents refering to Barnabas and consider myself a man of science.
All I know is based on faith and fact.

We have no documented facts, nor are there any religious documents of the Warlord that coincide with what is happening.
I am not a prophet nor a soothsayer.

All I can tell you is this.

Barnabas has done all but come to me face to face and tell me in person that not only I, but my entire faith is in dire danger.

It is an overwhelming feeling of ominous disaster. I do not know how, I just know this.

Science and religious faith have proven ineffective in solving these latest puzzles.

These problems are obviously of the elements and the earth.
An area which I am hopelessly weak in which means I must rely heavily on many of you.

I am not the type that is accoustomed to relying on anyone and when my own faith is in danger and I am clueless as to why it frustrates me to no end.

I apologise if I offended or insulted anyone present."

*He turned his attention toward the book and stared at it for a moment*

"I know not of rain.
The Warstate is a fortress atop a subterranian lair which my society dwells in. However I do concur that we have had volcanic activity AND earthquakes in my region which go hand in hand with your translation of the text.

Droughts are common, Eathquakes are common, even plagues are somewhat common.

Droughts and earthquakes? That gives slight credibility but could be coincidence.

Add a plague?
I think you are on to something.

Now the big question...
What is the sum of these events?

If it is one thing I am certain.
Preparations CAN be made.

Otherwise my Lord would not be warning me, but taking me unto his arms.
But what is there to prepare for?

Has anyone noticed any plagues?"

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:45 am
Stablehand

She turned toward the man speaking, the cardinal as it would seam and walked towards him. Not enought be close, but enough to be seen.

I would say that All of our faiths are at a loss here. But that is besides the point. My question is what exactly can we do to prepare other than get off the island? Save those who can be saved so all faiths are still strong in their followers. Though the question remains of how and where. Even my river valley won't be safe from the dust storm that is sure to begin in the desert sands. There must be some port of call that might offer something of a boat out of here. At least that is my thought on this matter.

She was never fond of those who only supported their own faith, at least she could try and stand up a moment for those of all faiths of the isle. Normally she didn't care, but sometimes it was downright insulting. For once they were all in this together, and getting through it was more a matter of working together to corridate things. It was moments like these that defined the lives of those who survived such things. There was hope that perhaps a small amount of respect could be found from all this. But once they were in a new place to call home it seamed that that respect would fall to the sidlines for new wars to be fought and new land to be claimed.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:17 pm
Stablehand

He listened to the woman stammer and watched as her eyes darted from side to side nervously as if looking for aid from those gathered to answer in her stead. Amused yet annoyed Pyren surmized the woman had nor held little or no insight of the foreboding that was felt throughout the room and quite probably across the Isle.

He turned as the newest arrival entered the room and walked straight to the librarian, producing an old tome and indicating to her to read..
"Here, here, and here. I believe those passages corroborate your letter. I'd thought it was only a pensiveness born from discovering such an old building, but no - it seems like far more than that, especially if everyone's gathered here because of a shared vision of what's to come."
He stared at the text as did others in efforts to make sense of what for all intensive purposes was nothing more then perhaps a rant from a crazed hermit or maladjusted sage that spent to much time being alone. His mind rolled the words over and over, even the dark one was at a loss and this distressed him muchly. In all the time they had travelled the darkone or himself had found no riddle or cryptic passage that ethier could not reveal. The sound of a soft whistle and someone speaking broke his train of thought momentarily. "Well, we've an eclectic bunch who've answered the call. Is that a Cardinal I see back there too? Well, all the better. It's certainly a dire enough situation to warranty it. What part of the cataclysm've you all foretold, then?

"And more immediately to the point... can any of you tell me when it last rained?"
Although he had only just recently returned from his travels, Pyren had not the chance to know when it had last rained and did not consider that lack of it since his return. But as it seems the lack of rain was also a possible indication of an untold catastrophe already in motion. He listened to the words of the one known as the Cardinal Ristin and then to the female that stood askew to Evangeline.

Oddly she had it seemed ethier more knowledge or had a greater insight the even the sagely Evangeline, or any gathered here himself included.The last speak before him in her question to the one called Cardinal, somewhat stunned him out of rolling the passages thru his mind again..
My question is what exactly can we do to prepare other than get off the island?
Perhaps the plague will be brought by the breath of the wind spouts i have heard of and seen that strike upon the land and rent a terrible destruction both in path and in wake...

The final verse leads one akin to perhaps a meteor that will strike the Isle in that all will burn as the blast spreads death in all directions.
As to what to do or how to prepare some of us have already done so dear lady in anticipation of the foreboding visions and feelings.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:58 pm
Stablehand

'These are indeed troubling times, grandchild, for-'.

'-the earth-mother's lament reaches us through the manifold-'

'-but we can offer her no comfort'.

'Water, earth, air, fire-

'-four elements-'

'-our lifes' foundation yet-'

'-here, we surmise, is no building of life-'

'-but, alas, blood of my blood, the path, step by step, to our death...'

A frown had settled firmly on Tohu's face as he listened to the words of those around him and to the voices of his ancestors.

'Then the darker shades of these scattered observations hold truth?'

'Oblivion haunts our dream and death your waking world. Many of us now believe that we will never see our distant homeland, nor you, many more moons on this isle, if not turnings of the sun...'

Tohu stepped backwards and sank his massive frame cross-legged on to the floor.

'Indeed', his voice reverberated through the room, 'how do we flee these dark tidings that, with each passing moment, gather greater form in the mist?' He turned to the Cardinal. He knew of this Ristin, advisor to the Warlady. Why, she had passed though his Guild only recently.

'Will Barnabas cleave all of his faithful to his bosom, Cardinal? Or should I look elsewhere for succour?'

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:25 pm
The Warlady

*Ristin's ears rose in alertness as the question hit him.
He did indeed have an ancient succor spell from ages past which he had planned to share with the clergy of war to save the Barnabas faith.

However it suddenly occured to him that in it self would destroy the balance.

"Barnabas needs Leto.
Barnabas needs Angelique.
For without the balance of the trinity Barnabas would surely destroy himself."

He thought to himself as he contimplated the matter.

"Its not like I would be sharing Fog of Denial or Earthquake."*

"And Barnabas said unto Neurosis.
Protect my people for they are my strength, and I shall protect you for I am yours. Book of the throne, 4-20

I do not have the power myself to save all the faith.
I am but one Drow.
However I can share my spell with your priests."

*He then turned to Adriana who scowled at him from a distance*

"It is not a spell of prayer but of magic.
If needed, I can share the spell with your priests as well.
Balance can only be obtained through perpetual war.
No balance means no war.
No war means no honor.

A throne with no one to rule means nothing.

We either all survive, or we are all doomed.
However me must try to find as many means as possible.
The spell in itself maybe will save thousands.
Far more would perish.
We must find alternitives.
For instance, can we stop the destruction in the first place?"

*He turns a hopefull gaze to the druids and shamans*

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:46 am
Stablehand

Watching from the shadows, he was listening. He had not come to participate in the discussions. Since he had in no way the knowledge and wisdom of any of those present.

Usually his task would be to scout heathen lands. And report any weaknesses in them back to his liege. And adding to the posibility of victory in this or that war. Poisoning a well, setting fire to a holy building. Or just listening to the changing rotation of a set of guards.

Now although this wasnt part of his usual duties, he had been chosen. To come, listen. Hear what was being said between those of greater wisdom and knowledge. And in the end report back to his lord. To help him in making decisions in what task to take next. In the safeguarding of the empire he served.

The legion, as he watched Ristin for a moment, then his eyes switching to Voice Evangeline, and the lady Kaiten. Then at times watching the others. He followed. A single driplet of sweat on his forehead. The situation was dire. He understood that much. Although even here the confusion seemed great.

His orders had been simple. Travel to the library of Tonan, attend the gathering of the wise, and learn what was to come. The warlord had said his dreams had foretold destruction. But in no way had they showed the scale, or in what kind. If he was to have an idea of what to do to save the empire, or as much of it as possible. It was knowledge he needed foremost.

So it came that he sat there. Silently, trying not to be noticed. Yet listening to every word. Ready to report back as soon as the gathering would be over.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:35 am
Stablehand

She smiled a little. At least someone was agreeing with her on one point.

My priests are more occupied trying to find ways to evacuate as many as they can through the river valley. I would gladly pass anything on to them if I was able to.

She looked around a moment. A fair share of those around were unseen, thought it didn't matter.

I think that the best thing we can do is try and hault events for long enough to get as many off the island as possible. No matter who they follow, the only way we can retain this balance will be to work together on this. I just wish we had more time to prepare for what was comming. Where we go is not an issue until we get there.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:37 am
Stablehand

He listened to the words of the fellow giant Tohu Ariki and his concern of his gods plan for saving the faith, then the Cardinal and one called Adriana followed, both spoke of alternatives to facing or stopping the calamity. In his mind he could estimate Yana on how many she could house.
The structure was large, very large by some standards others including a long lost friend would say
" it was wasteful". As Pyren reflected on a fond memory of an image long ago, a smile creased his face at the thought.

But it faded as reality set in to the events of the present he went to speak, but was somewhat hesitant as to reveal her secret to those gathered, there was still much distrust and personal hatred present in him for events and beings from times long ago. He turned to the cardinal and spoke..

Of those your spells or prayers can save, will you be their judge as to who will and who won't be saved Lord Ristin, I pose the same question to you Lady Adriana...
My other questions are how many beings live on the Isle and who will speak for those who cannot. Or do we just let nature fill the void of life in our stead.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:58 pm
Stablehand

She turned to the man, not quite smiling though trying to think a moment.

You are not the only one concerned about ALL of those on the Isle. I was hoping perhaps we can come to some agreement as to a location to gather everyone and hopefully fit them into a grouping of boats. I have a few of a mild capacity, but nothing large enough even for my own population. The only way to keep the balance of those in the isle is to try and save them all. Though there is only so much that we can do without someone from each realm represented. Spells might help us out, but again we have to work it out together. It is the only way.

She retained her rather straight face, knowing that her own fleet of ships would not be enough for even her own population she tried not to think of the losses.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:40 pm
Stablehand

You are not the only one concerned about ALL of those on the Isle.

Pyren listened to the woman, her tone seemed condenscending but given the events at hand and the company involved normally he could over look such indifference in tone but at the moment he gave into what welled up inside him. He had met thousands like her and would no doubt meet thousands more, it mattered not to him at present as to who she was.He released it by letting it be known in standing up to his full height quickly, and in his tone of voice, his dark green eyes flashed to their obsian normalcy as he spoke.

Daughter of the Isle, i doubt not your intention to save as many as you can, nor do i doubt any here's intent to do so ethier. I serve no god or goddess of the Isle's nor king or prophet or regent welp.
I've walked and travelled in a place that could swallow whole all that you see and still have room for ten thousand places more. The gods themselves enter such a place with intrepidation for fear of being lost.

But as even the cardinal and yourself have stated one cannot do it alone, but one can open a door way to a place where nearly all can be saved.
But i will not open that door until we all agree that ALL denziens of the Isle are to be saved. And by ALL i mean ALL every creature that walks, flies or swims in the sea's. For without them we have nothing to replenish should a world be reborn for us to return to.
The room was somewhat silent as he finished, some rolled their eyes others just stared with mouths somewhat ajar, but silence remained momentarily as he sat back down by a window sill and returned his gaze to the horizon. He closed his eyes in efforts to calm his anger, it would do no good to be in foul of mood at this meeting.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:15 am
The Warlady

Of those your spells or prayers can save, will you be their judge as to who will and who won't be saved Lord Ristin.

*Ristin's eyes narrowed at the insult. He paused to calm his thoughts so as not to lash out*

"I am not your buddy and I am not a petty Lord.
Cardinal, Cardinal Pieare, or Eminance will suffice while addressing me.

As to your question. I will indeed have to choose who lives and who dies in the Warsate of Altercation.
It will not be an easy task for me.
I am good, not God.
I cannot save them all with my means, nor can any other kingdom save all of theirs with my spell unless it is a kingdom entirely composed of priests. The more priests per kingdom, the more can be saved.

Since my spell cannot save all...
We are looking for alternitives.
My magic doesn't cut it.

If you have the means to save all by all means speak.
Your solution seems to be what we are looking for.

By all means....

Indulge us."

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:10 am
Stablehand

If you have the means to save all by all means speak.
Your solution seems to be what we are looking for.
By all means....

Indulge us."

He opened his eyes the dark obsidian orbs turned their gaze upon the Cardinal and then withdrew to reveal his darkgreen orbs of old,he stood up and answered the man..The mans tone evident but he had calmed himself and reserved his energies for much needed events later. He would let his emotions not get the better of him again.

I swore long ago i would never sit as judge again over the fate of another being of this Isle, the trial of Ryloc of NV took all what all i gave it. And for what acerage and the need for an empty feeling of vengence, since my return not much has changed in that regard.
I'd sooner save the blood of one house and lineage or even the most useless scrap of parchment in these walls over some that still live and walk upon these lands.

But my vow causes me to reconsider this as not being in the greater of a lessor evil i would commit to myself. What i speak of Cardinal Pieare is of the Void or otherwise known as the Abyss.
The gods themselves as you may know send their castaways and those they banish from this world there. But alas the void will kill all who travel unless they are protected by vessel or by spell.

I have since given up my shard of immortality to create such a vessel in anticipation of the foreboding i felt since my return. The vessel i speak of is
Yana translated to human it means Sanctuary, a stone structure of such size that it could hold one thousand mortal souls full size and with a shrink spell she has enough room to hold some ninety thousand species of wildlife and then transport herself into the abyss till word of a new world is found or spoken of.
But if you feel your plans and actions would suffice to save those you choose then i will not stand against you or any other and will save ALL that i can on my own.
He sat back down more in need then out of anything else, Pyren had noticed since her creation his inner strength had grown weaker since he gave back his shard to the Isle. But he still had a long while to go before all of his inner strength gave way.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:06 am
Stablehand

Would it be so wise to transplant the animals of this land? They are still in danger as are we, but it could cause more problems than it will be worth. Perhaps mating pairs would be enough to suffice. We should need not more than that. It will allow time for adaptation of the traits needed to survive in a new place.

She looked toward the man that had spoken.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 am
Stablehand

Would it be so wise to transplant the animals of this land? They are still in danger as are we, but it could cause more problems than it will be worth. Perhaps mating pairs would be enough to suffice. We should need not more than that. It will allow time for adaptation of the traits needed to survive in a new place.
Pyren's eyes were warm and without malice of thought as he stared at the woman called Adriana, his mind rolled over what she spoke of with a fervor to match the gravity of the foreboding many felt on the horizon. Standing again he spoke to her and to the other eleven that were gathered around in the study.
M'Lady Adriana of the wildlife of the Isles is important as they to are part of the balance of our existence but none need worry save myself and those of drudic nature for who's help i will surely need in this. Of the number as you put "mated pairs" this i am also of uncertainty as that knowledge is out of my spheres of magik understanding. I would hasten to say four pairs of each but again it would be a guess.

You've the means to aid your people and those of the other faiths by use of boat and ship of various size. I doubt as do many we have the time to construct any more then that which is afloat as it is, unless your people are master ship builders and can work both night and day to construct the many more we all will need.

Also who will take the knowledge of the Isle's such as what is contained in these walls or will we forego this knowledge in favor of a rewriting of it.

What of the one's that were once called Native's has the great and mighty Gorf been seen or heard from since the start and where be the Prophet surely this concerns him and his kin. Should he not have say or does he forego this in favor of following his own path.?

He could see them and albeit hear their thoughts rollin through their minds as to the enormity of the task that befall each one in the room. Pyren himself was beset as to which of the wildlife he could carry as is and which will be needed shrinking in order to save as many as he could.
Slowly but surely the gears of mortal intervention began to wind up to the task, solemn looks gave in to slight signs of relief that all that could be done short of divine intervention was being addressed in a tiny room in one keep in the middle of a vast Isle. He returned the floor to those that ha idea or thought as he he opted to lean against the wall in favor of sitting down.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:29 pm
Average

Nether stood silently, halfway in the shadows half way in the light. It appeared as though he had been sliced down the middle, the portion of his body in the light had vanished, the other half barely visible in the darkness.

He listened as they bickered, as they reasoned, as they discussed. He was particuly intrested in the talk about a place called, Sancuatry.

Supposidly this place could save some from what ever disaster was about to take place. His eyes flashed rapidly as he leaned in to hear better. If it was true that this place could save, it needed to be destroyed if possible, if not, the beings themselves would need to perish.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 pm
Stablehand

Many stood and pondered other's quietly murmered amongst close assosciates, Pyren himself was somewhat lost in thought. But to his dismay it seemed none raised any new concern and were content to follow what they thought was best for each. He had done what he set out to do, now those born to rule held the key, it was time for him to make good on his task.

First he would seek the old one of three and get his counsel on those none seem to recall and for that,Pyren knew of only two such places. He turned to those gathered and bid his
farewell and best wishes and proceeded out of the great library.
Carefully opening the door the fresh air was refreshing from the smell of musty books and burning candle wax, he tapped his staff and the black shroud surrounded him instanly and he was racing across the skies.

His journey to the first location wouldn't take to much time as it was near where the obsidian gate of return was located, the suns shadows had barley moved across the ground when he landed in a opened uninhabited area. He stared around there area then cast his gaze earthward, frantically he scoured the grounds in search of something. Frustration almost set it's hold upon him as he sat to sip a drink from a flask slung over his shoulder.

It was then he saw the glint of something protruding from the ground, wrenching it free he rubbed the dirt from the trinket he had found. A broken partially rusted blade tip from a sword, he poured some of the water he brought with him over the the metal to aid in it's cleaning. Not certain as to whether this item would suffice for his need, he quickly took another swig of the sweet water and corked the flask. He placed the small shard of metal in a cloth and tucked it into his shirt pocket.

The other place would take sometime to arrive at and the sun was near midday already, he wouldn't arrive at his destination till late in the evening. But time he felt was short and haste was at the forefront of his mind presently. Qucikly he stood up and was in moments racing across the skies, he passed over miles of land and many a kingdom, the black orb he surmised would raise havoc with those who looked skyward at the right moment.
But none could see it's occupant thru eye or spell of scry, he was thankful as he was sure many may be following close on his movements in the days to come.

The light of the sun faded and gave way to the glow of the moon from the sky and the lights of oil and torch upon the ground. Soon the town he searched for appeared as a faint glow thru the blackness. As he approached he could see the city gates were closed for the evening but the walls only went so high and he easily and silently flew over them and landed in an alley. He would have to wait till morn to charter a boat to take the rest of the journey, a task which even after the twelve ages that he walked these lands had caused him an unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He made his way quickly to a tavern house and entered the barman gave him a weary eyed looked as he entered, but Pyren simply tossed a bag of silver upon the bar and spoke only few words.
A room and morning meal, none to disturb me from now till then.
Nodding to his guest while pocketing the small bag into his belt he bid Pyren to follow, the room was adaquate and had a lock on the inside of both door and window that was unpickable, the man turned to him and spoke Breakfast is at first crow, i will send a maid to give wake call in the morn good night sir

He nodded his thanks to the man and entered the room, he turned and closed the door and threw the bolt, he went to the window and drew the bolt shut aswell as drawing the drape across. He stoked the coals and layed fresh logs upon them removing his cloak he tossed it upon the rather large bed, he tapped the staff and released the darkone to the room.

The blackmist slithered out and lay across the floor like a welcome mat, it found the fire fascinating as it's tendrils writhered amongst the flames and it danced in unison as if to try and communicate. He sat in the chair that was provided and it creaked and moaned to his weight but held firm, in moments he was fast asleep and dreaming of his task at hand and of who he still needed to meet.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:48 pm
Stablehand

There was a fundimental change within Nether. For a moment it had wavered on destruction and yet her teachings had come to fruition. He had passed that test of evolve or fade into nothingness. Leaning back against the shelves, they groaned protestingly under her weight. Hoof scraped against the floor slowly enough to send up small sparks. Eyes narrowed a moment as this was considered. Left hand rose, the digits curled as she gazed at the sharp and shiny weapons. There was almost an adoption of boredom about her aura and yet a coiled danger which was never far beneath the surface.

Finally golden orbs flickered to his form, studying him slowly, taking in what was seen, and more importantly, what was not seen but felt. "From the moment of conception and creation this world was doomed. It was destruction set into motion from the moment it thrust up from the void into being. They panic, they are afraid. Have they a right? I suppose. Most creatures tend to think only of their own needs and gains." Pushing away from the shelf which groaned again, stepping into the row to gaze down at those gathered clinically, detached.

"You see the truth, I can sense it in you. My greatest creation is you, Nether. All others I sought to bring to perfection have ultimately failed. This world mimics this same trial and error. It has been tested and found to be wanting. I will bear witness to its demise, I will take pleasure in the panic and upset. I will drink of the pain and suffering and I will continue on. This is not the end of it all, as you well know. From this failure will come a new creation, where it will end up will fall to many things. Let us hope a lesson has been learned from this failure."

Considering a moment, in her cold dead heart, that she felt an affection for Nether. A sort of black love which would not know any warmth. Yet that was good enough for her. He would take a step forward and dip his hand into the bloody affair about to take place. "I will walk at your side through this, who knows, perhaps I will taste a flash of the passion I once held for this war ravaged realm. Doubtful, but not entirely impossible."

Though she with held further words from him. The writing was on the wall already, the ruination had gone far to deep. It had spread like a cancer through all realms of late, in a shameful fashion. She was a relic of the old times, though, as she gazed back over at Nether and away from the others, there was the thought that she would, perhaps, at least set hoof in the new creation when it was thrust forth and test for herself her own convictions and beliefs. Hoof beats echoed as she strode further towards the larger room, gazing at the others. Snuffling the emotions and panic. Pausing at the end of the rows closest in. Then, almost without ceremony she turned to face Nether again. "Let them die, let them all die. Spare no mercy, shed no tears, take and destroy and maim. Make me proud, my son." Licking her lips. Chaos. Leto had emerged victorious. She too would aid in the destruction, her Lord demanded it.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:40 pm
Stablehand

She felt almost as if she had heard enough. What was comming was comming and could not be stopped it seamed. Magic might be the only thing she could. She decided to send a messenger home, one she had brought with her in the first place. She would ask that all the ships be launched, even the merchent ones. A plague was comming that would sweet across the land. If they could be saved from such a thing then it would be enough. A new place would be found in due time, but safety was the key.

She addressed Ristin before leaving the library, I will pass this spell onto my priests. Save as many as we are able. Leave it at the front desk of the White Horse Inn. I leave at dawn to return to the sands one last time.

With that she took her leave, she did not like to leave without determining what was nessecary, but she had a long journey home. She only hoped that she would have enough time.

When she entered her room she wrote out a missive to those she needed to. Informing them of her impending return and to be ready to leave as soon as she arrived. To launch the small fleet of ships and merchent ship, to bear her flag. All ships but her flag ship was to be launched beyond the river valley and wait for all to meet up to continue onward.

The message was sent and she only hoped that time was on her side. She prepared her things, knowing she would need more provisions and water for her journey. She spent some of the night praying for one more safe return, if the Lady Angelique would even hear her prayers. Sleep quickly found her after an evening meal. The next dawn would be a rough one, and a swift return to the sands once more was all she could ask for.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:21 pm
Stablehand

Everything was out of her hands now, and she had Kaiten to thank for it.

And she was, she supposed, thankful. The conversation had taken a life of its own at this point, and, as far as she could tell, concerned her very little. The people who had gathered - and who had begun to leave, one by one - had their own people to reassure, to try to save.

She wasn't sorry that she wasn't one of them - a head of state, a Cardinal, a war leader. Wasn't sorry at all.

At least not overmuch…

---

As the ground continued its rumbling, she sat at her desk and studied her hands. She'd been of little help thus far, and circumstances were unlikely to change. This was, all things considered, a good thing - she certainly wasn't much interested in speaking vaguely of prophecies again - but she was unable to chase the odd sense of disappointment out of her mind.

I'm supposed to be a passive figure, she reminded herself. I answer questions, I direct other people's research, I point to the right shelf, the right book, the right chapter, the right page.

For the first time, it didn't seem like enough.

---

She was still sitting, later, wondering if she could sit long enough for the plague to be delivered directly to her. The town surrounding the library was of little risk of seeing any infection; its only recent visitors had been those who'd stood around her. None of them had done so much as cough or sneeze, as well as she could remember. If any of them had been sick, surely there would be signs.

Besides, these things always began with the poorest; the illness would consume as many at the bottom rung as possible before attempting to climb any higher.

At least, that's how it's always gone in the past.

She turned to look at Kaiten and shrugged elaborately. They were here - for all she knew - until the island destroyed itself. She'd been lucky before, of course, but who knew how that luck would hold.

She stood up from her chair, stretched her legs slowly.

So…

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:54 pm