It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 am

It's the end of the world (ALL READ - OOC) 
Retired Admin

Post It's the end of the world (ALL READ - OOC)
The world of Maxim is coming to an end. The land will be sundered and broken, its mountains toppled. Placid lakes will boil and their water will be undrinkable. What is currently verdant forest will become desolate plains with nothing but broken earth as far as the eye can see.

...it's not going to be pretty.

This is a leadup to the removal of the Maxim game, and the start of its replacement. The replacement game has a new setting (which will be detailed later this month to allow people to edit charters and so on) so we're having to destroy the land you're all currently roleplaying in.

This will come in several stages. It'll be fully roleplayed, and as it gets closer and closer to the cataclysm, details of what can be seen (birds flocking and migrating, rats deserting cities, whatever) will be posted here so that people can integrate them into their roleplaying.

Continuity in roleplay is something I'm aiming to promote in the new game, as is interaction between posters. Both will be a big feature of the new game, so I'm starting this now. Everyone can be involved in the end of the world, and there'll be a twist or two along the way.

Any questions you might have about this post, or about any information posted later on, please ask them in the Q&A thread rather than in here. This thread will only feature posts which contain the latest information on what's going on, so that people can include it in their writing.

This is not, and never will be, enforced roleplay. I'll give out information which people should feel free to use - and in the new game, there'll be world plot and information out there which people will be free to investigate. If nobody bites and follows up on information thrown out to posters, though, that's fine too. I don't forsee a situation where people are forced to get involved.

Q&A thread - http://www.evernight.com/boards/canon/v ... hp?t=22014

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:08 am
Retired Admin

Ristin was the first to feel it - something wrong in the air, a lurking thought at the back of his mind that screamed "something's not right".

Soothsayers, druids, village elders, oracles, gypsy fortune tellers, perhaps even priests or those who have dedicated their lives to faith - anyone with that level of dealing with the unknown or with nature, may well feel a sometimes overpowering sense of forboding.

Responding to Ristin's letter is one way they might go about investigating. If anyone pursues other paths of investigation, PM me in case there's more information I can give you to use.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:12 am
Stablehand

In this thread, the following missive was sent to the leadership of Tonan:

Quote:
Greetings:

You are invited to attend an exploration of signs, prophecy, and recent events at the Library of Tonan in three days' time.

New information has come to light that may interest you and the entirety of your kingdoms.

Reservations are neither required nor requested; all interested parties are invited to attend. Please refer to the map on the reverse for directions.

Respectfully yours,
Evangeline
Library of Tonan

Three days' time will be on Monday. Anyone who has a character in Tonan is welcome to attend. I'll likely post the 'presentation' in the mid-morning (central time). You won't need to have your character 'in place' in the thread before the post (though you can if you want); you can always post reactions afterward.

Questions, &c., post them in the Q&A thread.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:18 pm
Retired Admin

At 6pm EST tonight (Monday 19th September), a full solar eclipse will begin. It will reach its peak at 7pm EST, and by 8.30pm EST the sun will be visible once more. Astrologers are shocked, and nobody had predicted an eclipse for another decade at least. There's no concensus as to what it foretells - the death of a king, a crisis point in the war of the gods, the waning of the age of civilisation, the arrival of a new power... the only point which people agree on is that it signifies something important. What that is, and whether it's a spiritual occurrence or a vast ritual performed by followers of another faith, is the subject of much debate from street alleys and slums to the grand bathing halls and dinner tables of lords and ladies.

Quite apart from the unpredicted nature of the event, there are several other disturbing factors for those who might notice.

At 7pm EST:

Every canine (dog/wolf/whatever) across the land howls as one, a long and haunting note which echoes on in the mind for a few seconds after silence falls once more. City dogs will spend the night subdued in kennels or alleyways rather than roaming or looking for food; sating their hunger seems to take second place to staying in the shadows tonight.

Flocks of birds erupt into flight from forest canopies as if disturbed by some great predator or fearsome passerby. Except it's all flocks of birds, all across the land. They quickly resume their perches, but the usual chorus of birdsong seems muted for the rest of the night.

Nature itself seems to be subdued for the rest of the evening.

If anyone roleplays trying to meditate, commune with the gods, or somehow spiritually find out what's causing the eclipse as it happens, they will have their mind filled with a repetition of water earth air fire. Always in that sequence. It goes on for twenty seconds and then disappears - the same will happen if a repeat attempt to commune is made.

As above, if anyone's going to roleplay another method of finding things out which I haven't described, drop me a PM - you might find out something extra on top.

Ways to deal with this?

Evangeline at the Library of Tonan has promised information which is of interest to the leaders of nations. Thread here.

PM me with a link to your post if you're going about things another way. Likewise if you think that the nature of your character means that you should know more about a particular aspect of what's going on, or if you need to know how it affects you - PM me and I'll happily supply more info if it's needed.

I posted it now rather than at 6pm EST to give people a chance to prepare their posts beforehand :)

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:38 am
Retired Admin

Until further notice (ie. another post on the topic in this thread), there's no more rain anywhere on the island.

This will obviously take a while for people to notice, unless they're in the middle of monsoon season where they live :)

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:20 am
Retired Admin

Farmers are beginning to worry that unless it rains soon, the crops aren't going to be as good as they'd hoped. Small streams are beginning to dry up, and water levels in rivers are lower than normal. Much lower than normal. Together with the eclipse, people are starting to get very worried about what's going on - there are plenty of weird omens around, and the average man's interpretation of events is getting more and more pessimistic (and weird and wonderful) by the day.

And in the centre of the island...

On a lonely hillside in the centre of the island, the earth begins to stir. Birds take to the air as if startled, though not with the numbers or volume which marked the peak of the eclipse some days ago. A low rumble could be heard, if anyone was there to hear it - and a wide crevasse begins to open in the otherwise perfect unmarked grassy hill. This open wound in the earth widens until it must be a good number of metres across, a gaping maw which reaches down far enough that the bottom cannot be seen, and the pebbles which drop down into its depths give a rattling against its sides but nothing more as they plummet ever further downwards.

Slowly, the land subsides into silence - a peace which holds for all of an hour before the rumbling begins again, a little louder; the earth shakes slightly, a minor earthquake passing through the immediate vicinity quickly before the land stabilises once more.

Minor earthquakes around the middle of the island will become more and more frequent over the course of the weekend - and on Monday, the shaking of the earth becomes pronounced across the island. By midday Tuesday, every kingdom will have reports of the murmuring and shivering of the earth.

The land is not 'well'.

As usual, PM me if you have any weird and wonderful ways of investigating - the meeting at the library is, perhaps, about to yield some answers. Not that they're likely to be pleasant ones...

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:52 pm
Retired Admin

The plague has arrived - your people begin to sicken, and die. It starts today with the weak, the crippled and the poor. By tomorrow (thursday) it will have spread into the merchantfolk - those who trade with the poor. The symptoms are a swelling under the arms, a high fever, and pain in all the victim's joints. Within 6 hours of the fever breaking, the victim dies.

Magical healing can slow the progression of the disease but not halt it completely nor reverse it. Alchemists initially make progress in finding a potion cure, and some claim to have done so - but in dealing so closely with the disease, they too start to fall ill.

With the omens and foretellings coming true, with the earthquakes spreading across the land, still no rain, and the plague, the advisors to the nobility start to urge them to find a way off the island.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:29 am
Retired Admin

The plague spreads. While people flock to city ports to avail themselves of the transport away from the island, this only increases the chance of plague striking the city. The more inhabitants, it seems, the greater the likelihood of red crosses appearing on locked doors, quarantining the sick and dying within. The people are scared - scared, and suspicious. Small fires break out amongst quarantined houses, with arsonists seeking to cleanse the illness through flame.

I'm away this weekend, but once I'm back on Monday we'll be starting the wind down to the end of the world as it's known. The first signs of the final cataclysm - fire - will most likely appear on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm warning folks now so that they have time to RP up to that point.

Anyone leaving beforehand, let me know. Anyone removing books from the grand library, let me know and between now and the time the new game comes up, we'll determine what's in the books that can be applied to the new island. Any questions, PM them to me or email them (dave@evernight.com) and I'll answer as soon as I can once I'm back next week.

Hope you're all having fun.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:14 am
Retired Admin

With the drought having extended for weeks now, the woodlands of the isle are struggling to survive. Younger trees, their short roots unable to find moisture in the dry, cracked earth, begin to wilt and die. The dry leaves and wood which falls to the forest floor provides perfect kindling for a series of fires which break out across the island. Arson is suspected for some of the fires in more populated areas, and rumours spread quickly of a 'cult of the end times' who (the stories say) are responsible for spreading the plague as well as starting the flash fires.

(anyone who wants to investigate the cult can PM me with their methods of doing so)

After the magnitude of the other catacylsms, it's obvious that this is if anything just the build up to the cataclysm of fire. Flash fires do occur naturally in times of drought and high temperature, and the island has seen both recently. Something big is brewing, though, and if any of the research, omens and portents are correct, now would be a good time for people to leave.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:33 am