It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:43 am

The Final Ascension (The End?) 
Stablehand

Without ceremony, Jaelith opened the map.

The entire tapestry had been wiped away, like chalk off of a slate. All that remained were three figures.

A woman guilded in gold, with blonde hair and a nimbus of magic about her.

A man cloaked in shadow, with grey hair and a mist of blood about him.

Another woman, cloaked in silence, with black features and emerald eyes.

And in the middle, a gaping hole. A void torn by the hand of the Gods.

Silently, Jaelith dropped the map, and let it flutter away. Taelriath looked slightly surprised.

It wasn't talking, and I was tired of listening.

Jaelith turned and continued forward, after about a hundred paces, she broke into a clearing. The ground was littered with shards of crystal, jagged like glass, and loose rocks. A small cathedral stood at the head of the clearing, standing imperiously amid the destruction.

We found him, Jaelith whispered, as she walked to the threshold.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:19 pm
Stablehand

Jaelith unfolded the paper and promptly released it to the winds, a dispassionate expression moving across her face. An explanation graced her lips as the map convulsed in the wind and slipped out of view, however Taelriath did not sympathize with the reasoning behind Jaelith's action. It was likely Jaeith saw something she did not like within the map's new scene.

A shiver ran up Taelriath's spine. Something isn't right about this...

Jaelith was already moving again, so Taelriath kept pace with her, but his mind was elsewhere...

First Eltharion was ripped from the page, have the rest of us found similar fates?

They emerged from the trees to see the crystal palace towering before them like a prism in the few rays of the setting sun spreading an odd beauty across the rubble which was strewn around it haphazardly.

Taelriath stepped forward and heard a crunch beneath his boot. Looking down at the crystal he had stepped upon, his eyes came to rest on a larger flake of the pale blue stone. Within it he could see a reflection of his face, superimposed upon the dirt the thin crystal rested upon. The image of his face reflected a man's height beneath the ground evoked an ackward claustriphobia in Taelriath, despite the open air he found himself in.

Taelriath!

Another shiver overcame Taelriath, shaking his body as well as his spirit. Following Jaelith and the hound, he solemnly entered the palace where they would join their fate to Eltharion's.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:11 pm
Stablehand

Eltharion heard the familiar twittering of Jaelith's voice come from behind him. They must have slipped by unseen while he had wandered away from the entrance to his crystal palace. I suppose it's time to begin, he sighed, his joints creaking as he stood. He hadn't felt this weary since he was granted his immortal form. It was unsettling to be so weak.

He instinctively flared his wings. The dried blood tore feathers from his pinions, sending sparks of pain into his spine. There was no way he would fly again, without help. Where's Sael when I need her? Eltharion asked, a wry smile on his face.

With an imperious grace, Eltharion silently stepped behind Taelriath and Jael, and touched their shoulders.

Welcome, my children.

The words resonated like a perfectly struck chord. Filling the Crystal Palace with the tinkling of Eltharion's voice. We don't have very much time. She's angry at us, and soon the blazes will begin.

As if on cue, a massive bolt of lightning fell from the sky, like a stricken God, and struck a large tree, some distance away. Eltharion turned, looking through the wall at where the fires were starting. It would be a few moments before they would be able to smell the smoke, so he would try to keep them calm until then.

We're going to a new place. He told them, matter-o-factly. I can't say for certain where it will be, or when we will get there. A pause; Eltharion looked at his companions. They stood like veteran soldiers, unflinching as their commander ordered them about. Our work here is done. When we get to the new world, it will begin again. Eltharion bent over and clutched his Crystal Reflections to his chest. He would have to part with it to summon the portal, but he wanted it's smell lingering around him as he concentrated. Now, let us begin.

Eltharion handed the book to Jaelith, who accepted it and cradled it against her small body. Unburdened, Eltharion drew his arm in a wide arch. The green rift opened seamlessly, unaware of the decades that had passed since it's last use.

Eltharion turned away, now that it began, all it required was his blood in passing through. Still, he wasn't ready to leave quite yet.

It's been a while since I've used it, he offered, it needs some time to warm up.

Quietly, he engaged Taelriath and Jaelith in a discussion about their journey. He was just about to ask where the hound had vanished to, when a strange woman entered the room, causing silence to speak it's harsh syllables.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:26 pm
Stablehand

Taelriath had been relieved to see Eltharion's kind face once again, and glad to note that he had not lost his melodramatic flair in these dark times. Quite the feat, considering the injuries Eltharion had sustained.

The reuinion soon completed, Taelriath was caught off guard by Eltharion's summoning of a portal leading... away. Somehow it didn't seem real. Like the stories Eltharion had presented when they first met, Eltharion could acknowledge it without batting an eyelash. Taelriath would enter it, he had no other choice, but the stories from his childhood of mages that washed ashore after testing the barrier were swiftly surfacing in his mind.

Turning away from the green hole to the unknown, Taelriath gladly filled in the gaps of Jaelith's recounting of their harrowing journey to the palace. The tale was nearly complete when a woman entered the room silently.

All conversation ceased.

Eltharion's voice echoed in Taelriath's head We don't have very much time. She's angry at us, and soon the blazes will begin.

Taelriath gently ushered Jaelith behind himself, uncertain of what this new arrival intended. Somewhat surprised that his hands instincts had not first found his blades.
Taelriath's gaze landed upon the woman's face. Her features, smooth and pale in the small amount of light present in the room, contrasted sharply with her feathery black hair. It was her eyes, however, that stood out most vividly. Two green pools contrasting sharply with her gothic flair, an intensity inside to rival the somber shell.

It had seemed that the woman entered with purpose, and for that reason Taelriath was uncertain whether it fell to them to make the first greeting, as it was obvious she would have something to say, however... it did not seem she was in a hurry to do so.

Taelriath opened his mouth, pausing in contemplation, then decided to refrain from speaking. If anyone had the authority, or precognition with which to comment it would be Eltharion or this new figure.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:00 pm
Stablehand

(In a rush to get to calculus...If there's any problems, I'll catch them and fix them tonight)

With the awe she had become accustomed to, Jaelith watched Eltharion boldly march across the floor, his every action emphasized by his heroic demeanor, even in the face of the destruction that was wrought upon his body. The green portal sizzled with an energy she couldn't identify. It was strong, but flavored with something she'd never encountered in all her magical experimentation.

Eltharion's discourse was cut short as a beautiful woman walked into the room. Immediately, Jaelith found herself unable to remove her eyes from the girl's sleek form. She barely looked older than Jaelith was, but she carried herself as boldly as Eltharion himself.

The girl looked as though she had much to say, but at the same time, didn't care to rush saying it. Finally able to spare a glance towards Eltharion, Jaelith realized that the divine elf was staring intently at the new woman. He recognizes her... Jaelith thought.

Finally, the smell of burning earth wafted into the chamber. Maxim was in her death throes, and this game had to end. Unwilling to wait for one of the others to break the stalemate, Jaelith spoke.

Eltharion, we need to go now. Bring your friend, if you want, but I want out now. Jaelith strode towards the portal. All she needed was Eltharion's permission. She could ask questions after they arrived at their new home.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:07 pm
Stablehand

Eltharion's eyes locked on those of the new girl. Her features were strange, and he had no idea as to who she was, or why she had appeared. Regardless, Eltharion was not about to endanger his friends for more knowledge. Taelriath and Jaelith had served him through countless struggles, it would dishonor them greatly to be put under threat so close to victory.

Go through the portal, Eltharion ordered, leaving little room for argument. Preempting Taelriath's possible concerns, Eltharion continued. This portal is more powerful than you may realize. It won't work without me passing through it, and if I fail to pass through it, it will hold you, safe, in it's midst. That way, you can come to no harm. No matter what happens here, you cannot be subjected to danger. Eltharion met his companions' eyes. I promise.

Turning towards Jaelith, Eltharion smiled. Carry my stories, for me. I'll collect them from you on the other side. Eltharion paused awkwardly. They have to survive...I'm trusting you Jael.

As first Jaelith, and then Taelriath, disappeared into the glowing portal, Eltharion turned towards the mysterious woman. She seemed unperturbed by Eltharion's precaution.

Slowly, she walked towards him. Each step a perfect movement, without any wasted motion.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:18 pm
Stablehand

Ilatáriël strode towards the center of the room as though she were exiting a dream. Her cinematic procession was broken when Eltharion barked out commands to his companions. As he moved them about, like pieces on a thlass board, Ilatáriël paused to consider them.

The man was intriguing. His appearance was such that he almost looked one dimensional, like a shadow cast on the floor -- flat and unassuming. It was that appearance that made him so dangerous. Like being strangled by your reflection... she thought, passively.

The girl looked to be about as old as Ilatáriël was. Her blonde hair fell like virginal robes, dancing on the shoulders of her garments. Her purple eyes were full of life and passion. Ilatáriël envied her for her eyes. I want to know you... Ilatáriël realized, startled by her own boldness.

With only passing interest, Ilatáriël watched the two figures vanish into the roiling portal. All that remained was Eltharion and herself. Like a clockwork toy, tuned to perfect working order, Ilatáriël slipped towards Eltharion.

You're beautiful, Ilatáriël thought, a small burst of pride warming her chest. You look like a statue, carved of the Gods, in living stone. Ilatáriël disregarded Eltharion's broken wings and weary stance. The beauty she saw was deeper than that. You're more powerful than even mother said. Rivers of midnight blue run through your eyes. Void nullity covers your wings.

This perfection is how you will be remembered. Always.

Ilatáriël's journey was complete. Less than a yard away from Eltharion, she reached out and gently touched his arm. The act clearly confused the hardened angel.

You're not going back to Mo'Pri, Eltharion. Her voice filled the silence poorly, causing the room to feel far larger and more inhospitable than it was. Eltharion's reaction was disbelief. Towards the situation, or the claim, Ilatáriël knew not. I'm sorry. I wish there was an easier way to tell you.

It was destroyed. Utterly. The only place it exists now is in your heart.
Ilatáriël could hardly believe she was speaking to him like this, as though he was a child. Regardless, it was the only way she could find words. I know you loved that land with all of your spirit. That's why I needed to tell you. Turning towards the glistening green portal, she continued. That portal will lead away from the immolation, yes, but not from the conflict.

Eltharion slumped at these words. He was ancient, and his demeanour showed it. He only wanted peace from the battles. Respite from the demons.

Those who enter your rift will emerge, that is true. But not into peace. A new land waits to be conquered by the same fools that have destroyed Maxim -- who destroyed Mo'Pri.

A loud crack resounded inside the hollow chambers of the crystal palace. The fires outside had already raced to the walls of the castle, and were splintering it apart with heat. Their time was up.

Taking another step, Ilatáriël leaned against Eltharion's powerful body. Standing on her tip-toes, she whispered into his ear. After pouring an eternity of solace into his mind, she smiled warmly at him, and vanished into the green portal.

It closed silently, winking out of all existence.

I realize -- that this is goodbye.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:49 am
Stablehand

Eltharion felt a shudder of compassion as the girl's hand touched his arm. It was like all the warmth that had been drawn from his life was suddenly injected into him, threatening to subdue him. He felt tranquil.

Eltharion listened passively, as the girl described the inevitable fate that awaited any world the Gods looked upon. Deep inside his heart, Eltharion knew it was truth, but hearing it aloud did violence to his ears. With a calm that could only be produced in someone who knew the exact moment and purpose of their death, Eltharion drank in the form of the girl. Her lips flashed pale as the words poured out of them. Her emerald eyes floated on pale pools, eyes of honesty and absolution.

Slowly, the girl floated up against Eltharion, her warm breath breezing through his hair as she spoke soft promises to him. Listening to her words, Eltharion was struck dumb. As she settled back to the ground, he stared at her. She responded with a warm smile, and then vanished into the swirling green gateway.

The fires of Maxim warped the air, twisting it into a fog of heat. Eltharion stood upright. Against terrible pain, he flared his wings in a bold gesture. A final defiance to everything that had ever sought to destroy him.

As Jaelith clung to the Crystal Reflections, the book pulsed warmly. Inside were the last words of Eltharion.

Their escape is complete. As I expected, the portal could only take 3 people. Ilatáriël, Jaelith and Taelriath; the last known remnants of the Final Ascension.

Angelique has answered my prayers. After millennia at her side, I will be granted my final rest. In spite of the sanguine restrictions of the magic, another way has been found. I have been released of my office.

To the reader -- please remember my struggles fondly. Though I have not always been successful, I have always fought for respect and honour. Reflect upon my time and remember that I was just one mortal, trying to believe in legends.

Taelriath, my ever faithful friend.
Jaelith, my last glimpse of childhood.
Ilatáriël, my daughter.

Goodbye, and good luck.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:51 pm