It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Searching for a lost soul (Invite only) 
Stablehand

Post Searching for a lost soul (Invite only)
She sat there she had not heard from him since he had stormed off. That seemed like it was ages ago, years or more. When in reality it had only been less than a year but she had found no trace of him. She sent out all sorts of scouts. The latest news was not good and she went to check on it herself. He had been her heart and soul and when he left again it had cut her deeply. She could not keep going on wondering what happened and leaving it to other people. This is how she journeyed into these new lands so far from home with very little brought with her. More so the hopes of finding him is what drove her. She only stopped when necessary. She stopped at inns and taverns asking if any of them had seen Nick. She could only hope for her sake that there was a lead to be found that would bring her to him.

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:48 pm
Stablehand

I do not see why she is chasing after him, if he wanted to be found he would be found. It makes no sense to me. She is always chasing after that man it would seem. Even my father in her eyes never held a candle to Nick. Its not right I tell you, my father must roll in his grave at the things she does.

This was all said to a servant who had been with her family for as long as she could remember. Remember dear, your mother did love your father, but this is different for her. He was her first love, you do not forget a man like that. Your father was a good man and she treasured the moments she had with him and was heart broken when he died. She needs to find out where if anywhere she is with him. I know it may not make sense child but one day you will love and you will see.

Solstice sat there and groaned. I would never make such a fool of myself over a man.

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:20 am
Stablehand

He crouched silently, as the soldiers passed, their ebony mail starkly contrasted by the crimson horse hair crests on their helms.

He'd been harrying this particular cohort for nigh on a week now, loosing arrows into their ranks with deadly effect, then fading into the shadows again. Occasionally he would slip into their camp in the hours just before dawn, leaving a sentry or sleeping swordsman dead in his wake.

As the last mailed warrior marched past his position, Nick drew the last shaft from his quiver, aimed and loosed in a fluid motion...He was already slipping further into the undergrowth as the arrow took the man between the shoulder blades, penetrating mail, flesh and bone up to the fletching.

His stride became a loping run when the cry of alarm sounded...a wild grin creased his gaunt face, his eyes glowing with the sheer adulation of the kill.

It had been almost a full cycle of the seasons now, and still he hunted, his selection of prey ranging from donkey mounted caravans of clerics to armored columns...the result always was the same...no survivors...

Nick felt no guilt or remorse, in truth he felt nothing...he had lost his very soul that night a year ago. Now he was nought but stone...stone and blood.
A hand of death.

He knew they had posted a price on his head, in fact he welcomed it...perhaps some ranger or sherriff would collect it soon...Nick was tired...Oh so tired...he longed for sleep...eternal, peaceful slumber.

You five I will finish tonight...

he whispered as he crested the ridge overlooking the dark path and the cowering soldiers.

Make your peace with your gods...you'll face them soon enough.

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:39 am
Stablehand

She heard of a mystery man picking off enemies in the dead of night, some said he must not have a soul. She listened to the stories in the tavern and gathered from them where the attacks had been taking place. She had no doubt about who this shadow assassin was, he had a price on his head. He always did seem to get into these predicaments. She rose up from the seat she had occuppied for a meal and drink. She walked to the door, the people warning her to be careful of the assassin. She nodded and thanked them.

As she mounted she thought if her hunch was right she knew exactly who this shadow assassin and that he would not harm her. Not unless he was not willing to what she had to say. She rode, she was not paying much mind to the things around her. Or the men that were following her, she should have heard the two horses but she did not, all she cared about was finding him. As she rode the men caught up to her both of them flanking her so that she had nowhere to turn.

They were tormenting her, she knew she should not have come alone but who else would understand that she needed to find Nick. She needed to set things right with him. She knew she had not the chance to scream she could only hope that she would find a moment to escape from them.

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:23 pm
Stablehand

The sky darkened to a deep rich blue green, a storm was blowing in off the steppes and would arrive soon. Nick veered from the game trail he had been following, making for the caves up the ridge. He'd shelter there until the heaviest of the waether past, then take the remaining demoralized centurions just after dark. Their trail would be none too difficult to pick up.

As he rounded the the rocky ledge just east of the cave mouth, he caught a glimpse of movement on the road below. Crouching behind the a boulder, he watched as the forms drew closer...3 riders...2 chasing the third...

Nick cursed himself for spending the last of his arrows as he half walked, half slid down the steep embankment toward the bend in the road. Reaching the bottom he heard the hoofbeats thundering nearer.

He stepped to the middle of the road, his knees bent, claymore drawn. He only have seconds in which to react...he resolved to hamstring the first riders horse. That should slow the other two a bit. Whichever of them closed on him quickest would be the first to die. When they were dispatched, he'd turn his attention back to the first rider...if he survived the unhorsing.

They were upon him nearly before his thoughts had solidified in to action.

Nick slashed deftly at the lead riders mount, cleanly severing the hamstring. The terrified animal screamed in pain and skidded past as Nick turned his blade on the other riders...dodging left, he ducked under a spear thrust, swung his claymore in a high arc, landing a blow that cleaved the second rider from shoulder to waist.

As Nick wheeled on the final rider, he felt the bite of steel...the third rider had quickly drawn his sabre, and joined the attack. Nick smiled, knowing he faced a tried and hardened foe this go round.

Dropping to the ground, Nick rolled clear of his enemy and the pounding hooves of the horses....regaining his feet with catlike grace. Snagging thye reins of the fallen ones mount, Nick swung onto the animals back and turned to give chase to the now fleeing man. Panic lent speed to the horses legs, they rapidly closed on the man...drawing alongside, Nick slashed cleanly and viciously at the riders head...the blow connected solidly, knocking the hapless warrior from his saddle.

Nick reigned in the bolting mount, slid from the saddle just beside his victim, and dispatched him in short order.

Wiping his blade clean on the dead mans tunic Nick growled...

Lets see what shape that first is in. Reckon he's broke up enough to not pose a problem...

He climbed into the saddle again, holding the mount to a steady trot.
As he neared the bend in the road, he saw the hamstrung horse, but the rider was nowhere in sight.

So it's a game you wish to play is it?

He shouted into the undergrowth surrounding the road.

I'll play, though when you have lost, the price you pay will be dear indeed.

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:57 pm
Stablehand

She sat there between the two riders,damn her and her pride not wanting to take anyone with her. She looked around in a whispered breath. Damn it Nick where are you? Shte tried to knock one of the men away and he laughed

There is no help for you lady, one should not wander out her by herself, not one who should hope to live. You know I think we should bring her back to camp with us, the boys would love this little treat. Maybe it will get thier mind off of those that have been killed in the night. What do you think?

Yes, I think that would be the perfect thing for us and the boys. Now we just got to get her back there without her taking off. Let me grab the reigns to her horse

She heard this conversation and decided to go along with them. After all it would bring her to where Nick might be. She could only hope that she was right. She rode with them not giving them any reason to believe she was up to anything else. She made sure her weapons were still well hidden for when the time was right she would use them.

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:20 pm
Stablehand

The darkness closed in on him like a blanket as he threaded the game trail. He welocmed it. Darkness had become a fast friend and loyal mistress...the most loyal companion he had known in quite some time.

A waft of smoke from a fire brought him abrubtly to a halt. He drew his dagger and crept forward soundlessly, keeping the wind at his nose. Perhaps there would be another prize awaiting him around this fire. 'Twas certain it would be lined with corpses at the dawn.

He saw the glow of the blaze...much too big for a small party in hostile lands...obviously the this group was large enough not to fear aggression.

Nick edged forward, inches at a time, until he reached the fringes of the clearing...the he saw her...

He stifled his initial urge to rush the camp...then quelled the notion of leaving her to her fate...fighting the turmoil within.

She had rejected him more than once, but he had earned that rejection a thousand times over...it would be no crime to slip into the shadows as if he had never visited this glade...but she held his heart still. These months since he left her chambers had done nothing to quell the adoration he held for her.

He waited...watched their fire die and watched the oafs drain several wineskins. Two of the interlopers rose and approached her... he heard their muffled chuckles...he could wait no longer.

Nick launched himself, low and catlike at the first, just as he reached for her, taking him from the left, driving his blade deep into the mans chest. As the first fell, Nick was already whriling to face the second, who stood dumbfounded. A flash of the blade sent this one falling into the loam, clutching his well opened throat.

Run! Run NOW! he growled hoarsely to her.

The others had risen and run toward the sound of the fray. Nick took up the axe of the first fallen and rained blows on all who came within range, taking care to position himself between Dustball and the assailants...praying she had already fled...his life for hers...hadn't that always been his way?

Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:18 am
Stablehand

She could not let harm come to him. He would forever protect her it seemed. She looked til she saw a weapon that she could use. He was not going to let them win. She could not. She looked to him briefly as she helped dispose of someone. I can not go and leave you here alone. Not when you are what I was out here looking for. I will only go when you go.

She looked at him and she would not leave his side. The only way she was leaving was when they were done with the enemy that posed a threat. Then and only then would she be able to talk to Nick about why she was there. He had been hurt so long ago she knew that. She knew how much hurt he must of felt about things.

She pushed that from mind, now that she was closer to him she could not help what she felt. Only how would he react to her? How would he recieve her after all of this that happened. She tried not to think of that as they needed to take care of those coming after them.

There was a place she had found before that was not too far from where they were. She would need to sit with him and talk with him but could she make him see, would her words make a difference?

Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:48 am
Stablehand

The fray lasted only moments, though time seemed to stand still. In the end, Nick and Dustball stood, covered in blood with corpses littering the ground at their feet. How much of the blood belonged to the dead and how much was their own remained to be seen. Nick felt no pain from wounds he recieved at the hands of the kidnappers. The pain he felt ran much deeper and had been all but buried inside him until he saw her.

He walked to the corpse of the first he had killed and began to rifle the body for anything of value. He took the silver torc from the dead mans, and attempted to remove a fine ruby ring, but it was stuck fast oin the mans finger. Nicklos drew his dagger and struck off the finger, stuffing it, ring and all, into his leather pouch. So it went, until Nick had gleaned everything that would fetch coin, from the mangled bodies littering the clearing.

Then...only then...did he turned his dead, red rimmed eyes to Dustball and ask,
Why are you here?

He pushed back his sweat and blood soaked bangs.

Have you found yet another way to spurn me? By all means, MyLady, have at it. I would be disappointed if you didn't.

Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:38 am
Stablehand

She looked at him, she bit her lip. Maybe she should not have come maybe, this was a mistake. Now she stood there face to face with the man who she was in love with who she had been in love with all along. The one she had loved even when he left her, even when she married another it was Nick she thought of. She moved to him and her hand reached up and touched his cheek looking at him.

Nick. I do not know where to begin. or even if I should. I know you may not want to hear me out but I am hoping that you will. I am not here to spurn you, not at all. Now if you want to send me away I will go but only after you hear me out.

Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:09 pm
Stablehand

Speak your mind for you've killed me already.

His eyes locked on hers icily.

I'll hear your words, but of your promises, I'll have none. You made your choice when you chose him and I'll be damned if I'll crawl for you again. I've not found peace, tis true, but I've found sweet release. I died the day you dismissed me so abruptly...I pined for quite a while. I bled my soul out to every harlot and hired woman in the land. Did that heal me? I think not.

His hands shook as he dropped the axe to the ground.

I pledged my life to you, not out of loyalty to a crown or banner...it was for love. 'Tis fact, I love you My Lady. But you'd not notice that, of course, with all your politics and intrigue. I'll never turn my back on you, my princess...I can't. When I pledged my life for yours, I sealed the pact in blood. There is no turning from it.

He strode to the embers of the fire, and pulled his hood over his head...

So, My Lady, What service do you desire of me? I am your sworn man after all...

Duty above all...

Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:28 pm
Stablehand

He was mad and hurt and he had every right to be. She moved to him and kneeled by him. Nick there was no one that I chose over you, there never was anyone I wanted more than I wanted you. I was scared Nick, I was so scared of losing you again. I thought it would hurt less if for some reason I was able to push you away maybe I would not hurt so much if you did leave. I was wrong Nick, so wrong. By the time I went after you it was too late I could not find you. I tried and tried, and finally just recemtly I got the wind of what I thought was you. That is why they were able to catch me cause I was out here alone by myself looking for you.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:24 am
Stablehand

Her whirled on her swiftly, his eyes belying the pain he felt.

You chose to reject me, thinking it would ease your heart and mind? Am I so worthless that you can throw me away like so much chattle? And was it guilt that brought you hunting me or was it the need to regain something you had once owned? In truth, my lady, I think it to be the latter. You could not suffer to give up a possession of yours. I hold no more worth to you than a ring or a horse or or some other bauble or posession.

Do you realize that of all who atttended you, I was the sole being who would have sacrificed all at your slightest whim? The others served for status or pay or their own devices. I served out of nothing more than devotion to you. I would have faced a thousand foes for one touch of your hand, undergone a thousand trials for your smile. I would have died a thousand deaths, my lady, for but one moment of your love.

Nick turned from her sharply attempting to reign in his emotion.

You've found me now, Lady Dustball. What now?

Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:36 am
Stablehand

She looked at him the words he said felt like a knife being stabbed into her. This was hard for both of them and she knew it.

You are right I did not treat you fairly. I had so much in my head and I was not listening. I did treat you poorly Nick and for that I am more sorry than you will ever know. Yes I came to regain something, or in hopes of regaining something. But it was not something I once owned. It was something that I had, something that was probably the only true thing I have known in my life till now. I found out everything I had ever believed in growing up was a lie. All the things I was listening to was false for me. I am trying to get my life to what it should have been and what it should be. I pushed you away because that is what I was told was right.

I know you would have done anything for me Nick, but how were you going to handle that I had been with another? And that I have what we may never have children by him. I know what you served me out of and that is what I need more than anything. I have those who would die for me and follow me out of loyalty. But I do not have what I had with you nor would I be able to find that with anyone else. I love you, I have always loved you its just I did not know how to show you. I did not know how not to be afraid that you would leave again. For when you would leave it woulr tear apart my heart. I was scared of losing you again, I was scared that you would not want to be with me.

I do not know what now. I came looking for you not for the warrior I know you to be. Not for anything that I know you to be other than the man that I have loved since we were both young and running about here and there. Both those people that we were changed, changed a lot but one thing has not changed what I feel for you. My thoughts and all had been clouded for so long with feeling abandonend and all and I did not take the time to listen to you. I should have I was wrong.

I do not want to be apart from you for any longer. I have found out that so much of my life was a lie, so much of what I was told. And all that does not matter now, what does matter is that the one thing I always could believe in and the one thing I should never have let be doubted was your love for me.

Walk away if you must, but before you do strike me down so i do not have to watch the only man that I have ever truly loved walk away from me. For I could not take being parted from you anymore.

She watched him as she spoke to him trying not to cry as she did, tears spilling here and there. Shestood there feeling frozen as she knew nothing else that she could do or say.

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:32 am
Stablehand

He stared at her in silence for a long while, watching the tears trace tracks through the dust on her cheeks. She never sobbed, the only signs of her pain, were her faltering voice and those tiny rivulets. Nick softened at the sight, trying to force the feelings welling inside him back into their pit, where he had driven them before, to no avail. Slowly, he reached for her, pulling her tightly to his chest.

My sweet, Lady. I have longed for and dreaded those words for so long now. No matter how I swore I would no longer acknowledge even so much as your existence, I always knew that should I ever look upon you again, I would be yours once more. I have returned to what I once was, My Lady, and have fallen even further still. The price on my head and the men seeking to claim it make my company very dangerous for you. We must depart here with all haste. We can make sense of our situation when I am certain you are safe behind the walls of your keep.

He saw the look of suspicion and apprension in her eyes, and assured her.

I'll remain with you, Dustball. We will decipher our lives together.

Nick cursed himself for this half-truth. He knew they would come for him. He knew he would yield, rather than risk harm befalling the Lady who had so recently re appeared in his life. It was again as it had once been. His life for hers. He would make the most of the time he had.

Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:02 am
Stablehand

She curled up into his chest and just laid there in his arms before speaking. Her hand reached up and touched his face gently and traced it. She loved him no matter how many mistakes she had made it was not meaning she did not love him. She curled into him and whispered to him.

Then lets go Nick. Lets go home, and none will go there for you. They do not even know the man that they are looking for from what I was able to gather. I know we have a lot to talk about when we get there just promise me you will not go again. I do not want to be without you again.

She looked up at him and leaned over and kissed her cheek. He was all that mattered to her at this moment. She stayed in his arms till they had to go and get on thier way. She could not speak much right now too much was going through her head, though she stayed as close to him as she could just thankful for being able to be with him.

Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:37 am
Stablehand

He kept coming back to check at the keep and see if the mistress of the manor had come back. She had gone in search of Nick and knew that she would be gone as long as it took. Knowing them they probably had got into a fight about it all. He knew that his mistress would do almost anything to get him back. He had been surprised when she had let him leave that time. Now his mistress had asked her to keep watch over her nephew and he was going to do that. It was just he had to keep checking back here for her to let her know what was going on.

Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:53 am