It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:12 am

Rumors on the wind 
Stablehand

Post Rumors on the wind
The vagabond stood, gazing out across the sands from his chosen dune through a spy-glass. All there was to see was sand, and the occaisional stunted growth of some plant or other, not likely to live too many more days.

Things were changing, and not all of them for the better. He could feel it, on the wind, under the earth, in his bones. This was a world destined to tear itself apart, if left to its own devices, its own foolish ignorance. He would have no part in that. Few were left that saw as he did. Fewer stood against it. No longer could the ignorant be spared, for in their ignorance was much harm to be done. It was a pity, but there was little to help that now. Desparate times...

There were also rumors. Rumors on the wind of ancient powers, yet to grace, or blight this land with their presence, yet they were awakening. Nothing could stop that now.

And even here in these deserts, where the tribes have held sway, uncontested for generations (largely attributable to the fact that none outside these parts had any knowledge of how to survive in a true wasteland, much less stage an attack in one), there were large stretches left uncharted. Ancient scrolls, most in tongues now lost, just recently being translated hinted at things that may be in this desert. Things that they might want to find.

A cautious sip from the waterskin in his hand, just enough to allow his throat to feel at all different from the view before him. He looked across to the tribesman at his side, who nodded. All were ready. And so the band pressed onward, a light wind erasing any trace of their passing soon after.

Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:28 pm
Stablehand

The girl stumbled through the hot desert. To where she was going, she knew not, nor did she care, just as long as she could leave the injustice and prejudice behind her. She sweated heavily underneath the heavy cloak she wore, but she refused to take it off. It offered protection against stinging sand and the burning sun. She kept her hood on at all times; it shrouded her face in shadows and more importantly, covered her eyes from view. Her eyes... the bane of her existance. Yuya was born with a curse, a curse in which all those who gazed into her eyes became petrified granite. It has killed her family, friends, and has caused whole towns to drive her from civilization. And once more, she was in the middle of nowhere, lost, alone...

gurgle-gurgle-gurgle - and hungry, of course. But there was no room in Yuya's mind to worry about bodily functions. She had to concentrate on revenge. All those that had turned her from their doorsteps, refused to feed her or give her drink, they all must suffer, they all must be destroyed. She wouldn't wreak vengeance on those who turned only her away, but on every single sould who refused to extend the hand of brotherhood to their fellow beings. She would gather an army of those who have suffered like herself and just-just-just-

gurgle-gurgle-gurgle Yuya sank to her knees, clutching at her stomach. She remained there, and just laughed. She was delirious and she knew it. Her thoughts were warped from lack of sustenance and it was taking its toll upon her. She leaned forward, sprawling face first in the coarse sand.

Providing food for one more hungry buzzard is the only difference I'm going to make in this world.

It all went black.

Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:31 pm
Stablehand

The small band walked through the night, the moon, ever watchful, lighting their way. Eventually the lightening of the eastern sky foretold the coming of the sun. Soon they would have to make camp, for it would be much to hot to travel under the unforgiving sun. Reaching the top of yet another dune, he removed the spyglass once again from the folds of his cloak. Another scan of the horizon, and then a look over the landscape ahead to select a suitable place to stop.

With a frown, he handed the glass to one of the tribesmen with him, pointing out a location. "What do you make of that?"

"Definitely something out there. You're not seeing things, if that's what you were affraid of." A slight grin accompanied the jab.

"Right. Well, that's our camp then."

"The sun will be well over the horizon by then."

"I know. Won't be too much trouble I think. Besides, I'm curious, humor me."

So the small group continued, stoping when they finally reached the object he'd spied earlier. As the rest of the group went about setting up tents (and with considerable haste, as high as the sun had gotten by then) the vagabond looked at the source of his curiosity. One of the others, now finished with his tent, walked over to join him.

"Well?"

"Looks like a young girl. Still alive. I'm actually rather impressed she made it out this far. We'd better get her into some shade."

Fasioning a crude stretcher out of one of their cloaks, they carried the girl into one of the tents, sparing some water for a cool, damp cloth to place on her forehead. As the others retreated to the other tents to sleep through the daylight hours, he knelt, his back to her as he meditated, and kept watch over their new companion.

Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:58 am
Stablehand

She became conscious of something cold and damp resting heavily on her forehead. She felt the water trickle down the side of her face. Slowly, she opened her eyes and looked about her. She was inside a tent of some sort. Sitting quietly with his back to her was a man. By his steady breathing, Yuya assumed that he was either meditating or asleep.

Yuya sat up quietly so as not to disturb her rescuer. Her vision darkened, and then once again became normal; she was light-headed. She rested her forehead against her arms, waiting until her dizzy spell passed.

After a minute, she raised her head and pulled the hood of her cloak over her head. It was time for introductions. Yuya cautiosly placed her hand on the man's shoulder and shook the man gently.

Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:34 am
Stablehand

Location: St.Maarten, Netherlands Antilles, but going to school in Miami, FL
Body low...breathing slow...one...two...three...go!

Isis had repeated the silent mantra over and over in her mind...she had deviated from it momentarily. The intoxicating smell of fresh blood had trickled beneath her nostrils, causing her to flare them in anxiety. It had been years since her lips had relished the sweet, slow taste of human blood...she had turned from that path a long time ago. So she had groaned and dropped her head, content with the bird she had snared...but new movement sparked her interest.

Body low...breathing...slow...ah, the life of a half-breed...

The travellers were back and they had with them a new-comer...she smelled it. Isis rose slowly from her crouch...their tents looked a nice welcome for refuge from the stinging sun...a day-walker she was, but she still felt the heat. A slow smile started...she peeked round into the tent...the traveller sat, deep in meditation...the new-comer was rising...the girl had just shaken him.

Isis crept closer, her smile gone and her feet silent. She stood outside the tent, waiting for the traveller to wake from his trance and introduce himself...and her, indirectly...to the new-comer.

Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:12 pm
Stablehand

He had been meditating for several hours before the girl stirred. He was aware of everything happening within the tent, and some things outside it. Meditating as he was served two purposes, it left his body and mind rested to a degree, which allowed him to continue without needing sleep quite as often, although much beyond 3 or 4 days without actual sleep was detrimental. It also cleared his mind, allowing full use of his senses; sounds, smells, and even rumblings in the earth below that might have been lost in the jumble of thoughts commonly found in ones mind, now stood out clearly. It also had the side effect of catching predators off guard, as they, thinking to catch him unaware, find themselves attacking one more than ready to meet their attacks.

Ordinarily, he'd have ended his trance at her first movement. He let her adjust to her new surroundings as she saw fit for the moment however, because she was not the only thing he was aware of presently, and this other was not something he thought wise to lose track of. Whatever it was, it was getting closer.

Moments later, the girl got to her feet, and attempted to rouse him. By now, the other presence he detected fell into the range he generally labeled 'dangerously close'. He held his hand up, index finger extended, as if to say "one moment". The other hand slowly removed one of his short swords from its customary place at his belt, as he spoke.

"Patience. There is something... unnatural about. And if it wishes to continue its existance, it had best choose its next actions carefully."

The sword held before him in a defensive, yet ready position, he waited to see if whatever it was outside the tent would heed his warning...

Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:05 pm
Stablehand

Isis leaned forward, listening and watching the two as the traveller raised his hand and then a finger. His words reached her ears and she processed them, a slow smirk crossing her lips as she heard his swords being drawn. The smirk became a grin and she slipped back, drawing her two swords. Their cool handles pressed into her flesh, welcoming their chance to be released from their sheaths and brought into the daylight.

All right...a feisty one! she whispered to herself, barely audible, but she knew the traveller heard her. Her grin faded slowly, replaced by an expression that kept her eyes gleaming, the rising sun glinting off the dark pools.

She stepped forward, keeping her back straight and her swords raised slightly, their sharp ends pointing backwards. She stood in the entry way, her calf muscles clenching and unclenching beneath her trousers, her wrists slowly rotating around the hilts of her swords.

My name is Isis, she announced, flashing a glance at the new-comer and settling her gaze on the traveller. I'm just looking for a place to cool myself off. The sun is rising at a rapid rate, and it does look rather hot. Who are you two, by the way?

Isis fell silent then, her gaze sliding from traveller to new-comer to the outside area of the tent, never settling, alert...one could never be too careful.

Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:18 pm
Stablehand

The ranger easilly jumped to his feet as the creature that had been prowling about outside showed itself. It didn't look threatening enough to be able to take out the entire encampment. Nonetheless, he wasn't going to drop his guard just yet. He relaxed a little, having this one in sight would reduce the chances it could take him by surprise.

"I am Jerral. That will be sufficient for you I think. I'm curious what exactly you were doing here, lurking about like that. Nothing lives this far out in the desert. No plants, no animals, no people. It's generally accepted by the merchants that do cross the wastes that when you come to another group's camp, you either announce yourself, or you mean to attack."

That practice, was out of necessity for the most part. The desert itself was not particularly forgiving or tollerant. Neither could the tribes that lived in it afford to be.

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:31 pm
Stablehand

Yuya had been perplexed when the man had murmured something about an unatural presence. Yuya had looked about her, but had not noticed anything different about the tent. She looked towards the entrance of the tent and saw it, a slight shadow stretching across the floor. Sure enough, the shadow revealed itself to be a woman, Isis as she had introduced herself. She had two swords drawn. The man was also not without weapon.

Hmmm, I have one of those too, Yuya thought bemusedly to herself. Her fingers found their way to her hip where a large dagger was strapped. She pulled it out, ready for any sudden movements that signalled an attack.

She did not trust Isis. Looking for a place to cool off she says. Then why enter ready for a mortal combat? There was something else about Isis that Yuya did not trust...a certain quality that Yuya could not quite place. It called for great caution. But Yuya did not voice her opinions, it was not her place to do so seeing as she herself was nothing more than a stranger to the man.

The man spoke first, introducing himself as Jerral.

Might as well introduce myself.

Yuya stepped forward. "I am Yuya. I've been a wanderer for as long as I can remember. As such, I was travelling through this desert when I fainted and I awoke just a while ago to find myself in this tent. That is all the information I care to tell you at the moment."

Having said that, Yuya relapsed back into her tense silence.

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:48 pm
Stablehand

[OOC: Grrrr, font colors and backgrounds hurt the eyes, huh? :)]

IC:

Isis nodded once in acknowledgement, and slipped her swords into their sheaths. Stepping to the side, she dusted a hand across her pant leg, before raising her gaze to the other two. She glanced at the girl, a small smile resting on her lips.

Your friend's swords were drawn, she explained. As I am sure he knows, in this part of the lands, you trust no one. Which is why I don't expect either of you to trust me, but I am used to that in life, so it's okay.

Isis exhaled deeply, rolling her head on her neck, hearing the faint crick, crick of weary bones and feeling a warm sensation flow down her spine as her muscles relaxed.

I am simply passing through, she continued. I am of the...technically undead. I am a daywalker. You can thank my ambitious father for that one. I'm travelling the lands...trying to learn of these rumors...faceless voices whispering of ancient ones rising yet again.

Isis turned and dropped her gaze to the ground. It had been years since she had travelled the lands of Maxim, and the one called Jerral's quickness to his swords served as yet another reminder of how very much the lands had changed in the time she had been gone.

I mean no harm, she finished off. Her gaze raised to meet theirs again and she stood, waiting for their next move.

Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:24 pm
Stablehand

[OOC: yea, font colors are a pain, especially the codes for them, grrrrrr, but they're so pretty!!! awww, look, yellow!!!!! LOL, sorry, i'm hyper right now =D]

Yuya felt her tense muscles relax, and a friendly smile replaced the predatory scowl that had rested there. She slipped her dagger back into its strap on her hip. She realized that maybe, she had jumped to conclusions too early.

"I'm sorry, you came as a sort of shock to me," Yuya apologized.

Yuya took a step forward, about to pull Isis in to the tent for some refreshment, but she stopped. After all, this was not her tent. Yuya hesitated, waiting for Jerral's response to the daywalker.

[OOC: Sorry this is so short, I need a nap-nap.]

<edit>Posts in the Maxim forum must consist of 3-5 paragraphs with three sentences per paragraph -- that's nine sentences at the minimum. Edit your post to reflect these requirements, as it is only 7 sentences currently. --Evangeline.</edit>

Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:29 pm
Stablehand

The man weighed this daywalker carefully as he spoke.

"Actually, in these parts, you only distrust the suspicious. The desert has a way of expunging most of those who act maliciously towards others."

Having considered for a few moments more, he finally nodded.

"All right. You can stay. But mind yourself, not a one of us would hesitate to kill you if you prove yourself a threat."

With that his sword was returned to its place at his belt. Not so far away really, should it become a necessary tool. Stepping to the back corner of the tent, he made to resume his meditation. Something told him the comming night would be a long one, and they were still four or five days from their destination. Assuming the old texts were accurate, and they traveled at a decent pace. He only had to hope that these two guests wouldn't make themselves much of a hindarance to progress.

Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:17 am
Stablehand

Post twice weekly rp for rumors on the wind
The haggard young vampire, filthy, tired and dressed in torn rags, sitting on a sand dune; surveyed the hot, dry landscape beneath him. exiled, exiled . He shook the sand out of his long silver hair, and sat down on the hot sand, not being able to drag himself along anymore. He was once a proud Duke, Lord of The Aswang. The leader of the of the most powerful assassins and thieves. Now he was nothing but a broken, miserable wreck, exiled to this hellhole, never again to return to his homeland.

The only possesion he had left was his ritual knife, used for offering the blood of his enemies to Darden. Where was Darden now? Where was he? The vampire held the razor sharp knife in his palm. The long, thin blade; having never been wiped, was partially encrusted with the blood of thousands of victims. He, Demonicus, ex-Duke of the Aswang, had slain thousands of heathens in the name of Darden, and then, with relish he had piled their bodies in a heap and left them to rot. And when he did that Darden smiled upon him.

But now, where was Darden? He silently fell to his knees and wept. All his Aswang were dead. His wife and 2 children were dead, his once bulging coffers were plundered down to the last copper penny. He had nothing more to live for. maybe i can end this all . He slowly moved the ritual dagger across his wrist, a wake of red following where the blade had been. 3 drops of red blood dripped out onto the desert sands, Demonicus felt a sudden peace. But before, he could plunge his dagger into his heart, weakness overtook him. The last thing he saw before collapsing in a heap were a cluster of tents scattered below.

Hopefully, agents of his enemy couldn't find him passed out as he was. If they did, well then it wouldn't be pleasant...

Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:54 am
Stablehand

Isis nodded her understanding once and stepped further into the tent before her senses railed with the scent of freshly spilled blood. Hungry as she was, her body reacted to the sweet temptation, and her gaze darted around the tent, before she stepped outside again.

The scent seemed to be wafting from the sand dunes...
Sand doesn't bleed, she thought to herself, her head cocked in thought. Isis drew one sword and started to make her way towards the dune when another new scent reached her nostrils.

Eyes wide with curiosity but nonetheless still alert, she turned back to the man called Jerral.

There is a man over on the next sand dune, she called. The wind had picked up, but it offered no cooling relief, only the sting of the sand grains it launched against them. Yet it had grown significantly noisier, and she had to almost yell to make herself heard. He is wounded and in need of help. As this is your camp-mrph Isis was cut off as grains of sand flew into her mouth. Spitting them out, she cupped her hands over her mouth to block the flying grains. As this is your camp, I am asking if you agree to help him or not.

Isis knew that they had disrupted Jerral's meditational pattern twice before, and she hoped the traveller would not be upset by this third interruption.

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:57 pm
Stablehand

Post twice weekly rp for rumors on the wind
Demonicus was dreaming, dreaming of a happier time, his childhood. The hot desert sands blew fiercely around him, but he wasn't at all aware of the stinging grains cutting into his skin. He was not in the deserts of hell anymore, his mind was in the misty highlands of Draconia, Kingdom of Dragons. And he was playing with Cerise, his future wife in a sparkling meadow covered with wildflowers with hundreds of multicolored butterflies fluttering about.

"Cerise, Cerise, wait up!" Demonicus cried out toward Cerise, trying to catch up to the giggling little girl about 50 yards ahead of him. Unlike him, Cerise was extremely physically fit, and could easily outrun him, even in full gothic plate with a 6 foot long bastard sword strapped around her back. Demonicus ran faster, and tackled Cerise. "I got you!" Demonicus lisped. Both 8-year old's were on the ground giggling. Cerise's eyes were a shade of pale blue, almost white in color, the shade matching directly with her hair. Cerise was very proud of her eyes, which reflected light just like the fine Xorinian porcelain plates Demonicus' dinner was served on. They were just 2 happy 8 year old's. Demonicus never expected to have Cerise's remains served to him by his conqueror, and on his mother's china too.

Demonicus opened his eyes and spat the sand out of his mouth. He was too weak to get up, and the bloodstained ritual dagger was still clutched tightly in his hand. Someone was walking towards him, she was asking someone to help him. Leave me, i'm beyond help, save your precious water for somebody that was worthy enough to not stand by and watch his entire familiy get tortured to death. As this is your camp, I am asking if you agree to help him or not. . What the....

Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:22 pm
Stablehand

Isis shifted her weight from foot to foot anxiously, and quickly made her decision. She slipped her sword into its sheath and started forward, brows pulled down in a frown of utmost concentration and curiousity. The gods proved her wrong when she thought the wind could get no stronger and it whistled around her, hungry fingers pulling at her trouser-clad legs and circling her body behind her cloak.

A man lay before her, but as her chest heaved with her every breath, his true origin and scent slipped into her senses and she took an uncertain step backwards, before her conscience propelled her forward. Raising her hands, she unclasped her cloak and draped it over him, shielding the man from the harsh stinging of the sand.

The desert is an unkind place for one so weary as you, she yelled at him, but her voice faltered when she noticed the slow trickle of blood that flowed from his slit wrist. Oh wonderful.

Isis slung her arm round the man's neck and hoisted him as upwards as she could, her cloak clinging to him like a child to its mother. She slid down the dune and ducked behind the tent. Reaching to her side, she pulled her pouch around, taking out the medicines she needed to clean his wounds. A quick glance around is all the attention she gave to Jerral and Yuya before returning to the one who lay before her, the vampire.

Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:30 pm
Stablehand

The sands at night could be treachorous, even for the most experimented explorer. No one knows what the next dune could bring in. Blood, oasis, a tribe, who knows. These where uncharted lands in the map.
But I couldn't resist myself. I like to travel afar, meet new people, explore new cultures, meet the world.
I was walking slowy, enjoying my time, but the smell of blood came to me. I wasnt sure what it ment, this afar anything goes. I cluthed my Scythe harder, just in case, prepared for the worst. I walked more carefull than i did. Until I saw him, a Vampire, he caried a small dagger, but what seemed even stranger, is that it looked like it carried his own blood. He did not notice me, nor catch my scent, since the wind was on y front side. But something seemed different, it looked like he was stalking something... I couldnt make out what it was... I had to get closer, but the timing wasnt right... The creature seemed unweary, he seemed tired, but by previos experience, im sure he would give a tough fight... Im sure he would not die easily if an enemy came up to him. But i wasnt his enemy... not at the moment, he seemed agitated by something, cant make out why he is like that.

I had to think straight....

!~Kitasstrophy~! WeeC

Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:00 pm