It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 am

Stop, children, what's that sound 
Stablehand

Toph said quietly, once others had begun to drift off,

"we tried ships the last time"

Some of those remaining turned at hearing Toph speak, and Toph heard at least one voice say "what?"

It was no use. Toph had not spoken earlier because he had wanted the people to think that there was something they could do... something productive to do to avert their doom... and take their minds off of it in the time being. Toph hoped he was wrong, hoped with all his heart that it could be different.

Toph looked up at those who had turned to look at him. He might as well tell them

"We tried ships the last time. I stand before you as one of the last remining Sidhe on the entire island of Tonan, if not in the entire world. How was it that we, a race of immortals, dwindled to the few wizards and sorceresses that you now know? Ships were our downfall, ships, and the destruction of our home.

Long ago, the Sidhe lived on the doomed isle of Mo' Pri, that I am sure some of you have heard of in tales and ledgends. Believe me, friends, it was no legend. I was born there."

Toph saw a few of those gathered blink in surprise, and smiled sadly. To think that his one-time home had become a myth was... disconcerting. But, then again... his race had become somewhat of a myth. It was to be expected, in the hubbub of the isle's fervent faith squabbles, that the past would be mostly forgotten. Toph wondered if any of those gathered remembered the centaurs... anyways.

"We Sidhe learned that our island's destruction was imminent from our patron Goddess, Maelstryx. She dissapeared long ago, although the Sidhe lord Azrael had something of a tryst with her, shall we say, in his youth. Regardless, Maelstryx warned us that the destruction was imminent, and we left Mo'pri in large, three-masted ships, on a dark, stormy night"

"I was merely a child then, at least by Sidhe standards, and I remember getting onto one of the ships with my parents. We left the island, and just in time, too. Behind us, the continent rent inself to pieces, as if it was merely waiting for us to leave before it finished its self-destruction. The resulting rain of rocks and the heavy waves sunk quite a number of our ships, but we pressed on."

Toph nodded. That problem could be averted if they left early. However, there was more of a problem.

"Have any of you ever seen The Ward that surrounds our island? I'm told it takes on different forms depending on who you are, but when I saw it, back then, it was a sheet of fire. The mages on my ship tried their best, but the last thing I remember, before I woke up here on the island, alone, was the panic that ensued as the ship burst into pieces. We had thought we were through the worst of it, since over half the ship had made it through The Ward, protected by the magic of our mages, but then it... the best I can describe it is... pulsed, and suddenly, the ship was broken into pieces, and we were in the ocean... and then I woke up here."

Toph looked around, and saw the grim faces of those around him. Perhaps he had gone a little too far.

"This is not to say that it is not possible, for as you know, the Sidhe made it to Tonan in force, and while their numbers were diminished, well, at least a few survive till this day. The war with the Icarii didnt help our race either... and i dealt a harder blow than the flight to Tonan... the last battle made the vast majority of the Sidhe race sterile, and, simply put... that was that for my race. Accidents and lonesomness claimed many more than those who died on the ships."

Toph glanced over to his friend Silverwolfe. To think that at one point, they had fought in those battles with one another...

"as such, I guess my advice is the same as the others. Staying on this island will be pointless. Gather your mages and have them research the best defensive spells they can, then get onto your ships and get away from the island. I remember seeing a map, back in Mo'Pri, of the world. There are many, many more islands. We will find a new home."

Toph only hoped that he was right. He hoped that Pyren was right, too. While a vessel to travel beyond the curtain safely and survive in a place between worlds would be a godsend, Toph hoped that the vessel was not a ruse, a fake from some lesser demigod looking to gather power at the expense of others.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:55 pm
The Warlady

*Ristin lisented to what everyone had to say.
Everything had pretty much been covered.
The majority seemed to give up Tonan for dead.

"Succor where? Sail where? You can see the edge of the world from the highest peak.
Leto put up the barrier to keep the water from falling off the sides.
Did it not occur to anyone that with the world being flat, they will simply sail off the edge into the void?"

He thought to himself as he pondered the dilema.
One thing was certain.
None of the shamans and dr00ds present had a clue.. or even an inclination on saving Tonan.
If something was to be done, he would be going it alone.

"How the fuck do you save an island!?"

He pondered as he bid his farewells and headed out to where he parked his Griffin.

http://www.evernight.com/boards/canon/viewtopic.php?t=22161

Unaware of what awaited him*

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:05 am
Stablehand

She rose at dawn and went on her way, wanting to make as best of time as she could. She didn't know what awaited her, but somehow she knew that if any of her priests were as good as they boasted they would find a way. And mabey her own sword might add to what was needed.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:21 am
Stablehand

She saw Evangeline shrug, and knew that if they were to make an attempt at anything beyond dying in the library, she was going to have to take matters into her own hands.

...again.

She was inclined to do one of several entirely unhelpful things (for one, the librarian needed a good slap, if not a full-out thrashing) but managed instead to remain motionless while Evangeline rose from her chair and looked unsteadily around. Someone was still speaking, filling the air with talks of ships and wards and something that sounded like 'she', something that had been mentioned in no few conversations she'd overheard. It was impossible not to listen, but the words had lost all meaning for her.

She flexed her fingers one at a time, waiting to speak until her thoughts had more thoroughly coalesced. The speaker had just fallen silent, his final words ringing with a sort of optimistic despair.

The man who'd delivered the book was still standing near the desk; she raised an eyebrow at him, and then lowered it, slowly. She didn't have the slightest right to look at anyone strangely, of course, but it made her feel better to do it all the same. There was no reason why she needed to pursue the feeling of being the odd person out alone.

Except by the very definition of being that person, she reminded herself, and then quickly decided that she either needed to speak or run out of the building with a scream marking her passage.

"Sir," she said, with another (but less menacing) glance at the man, "I'm not quite keen on dying here. Maybe you are, of course, and it seems as though she is-" her eyes darted to Evangeline; she wondered if the woman was even bothering to pay attention, "but I've got a horse and I'm willing to ride."

Kaiten's cheeks coloured briefly; she doubted such phrasing was proper.

"A messenger bearing this sort of news," a finger indicated the book, still lying open on the desk, "isn't usually very dispensable. It doesn't seem to me as though something like that volume should disappear along with the rest of us in the fires it predicted. A little too all-consuming, that."

"Seems to me as though you'd have an idea for where to go, if only back from wherever you found this dusty thing. Besides, I'd prefer traveling in a group, though I suppose it won't do much good when we encounter the plague-ridden hordes. Still, we may be able to bring along something we can use for dead weight if there's a problem." Her words were more devious than she intended, but she was impatient and ready to see something other than the spines of countless books.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:57 pm
Stablehand

Chalchiuhtotolin listened with his attention elsewhere; back in the clearing, those people who had signed up to his expedition had shunned the port cities and coastal towns which even now would be making preparations to leave. The fishing boats which would gather to form an armada of tiny ships, the grand merchant vessels which for the first time would aim their noble prows to seaward and away from the familiar coastline, even the snub nosed ferries which had carried horse and cart across pedestrian paced rivers would be pressed into service to carry people and belongings away from the doomed island.

He had taken his students from any possibility of safety. Any possibility of survival. Their deaths hung heavy on his shoulders as the train of thought ran to its end. He must survive and remember their names, honour them in story and song. They were scholars who had placed knowledge above all else, and so knowledge must not die with them.

He smiled briefly at Kaiten, and drew the ancient book towards him across the table.

"My name is Chalchiuhtotolin, and I am an archeologist - an archeologist who'd rather survive than die on an island which has chosen to end itself. I have my horse outside, and it's a good few hours travel to the nearest fishing port where we could find a boat to take us to sea. I know of that route, if you're wanting to travel it.

"I'd like to gather some more texts before we leave, though. We can't have all of this knowledge go to waste. There must be some way to prevent this happening elsewhere, or to protect people in the event that it does - we're in the grand library, and I can't imagine anywhere more likely to contain books like that. I don't think an hour or two of gathering books will affect our fate too much, and there may even be some supplies here, if the librarian has lived within for a while."

He wrapped the book in cloth once more, replacing the tie which had held the fabric tight against its cracked leather binding on his journey to the library, and looked around.

"Librarian, could you point us towards some of the more important historical texts before you leave?"

And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:08 am
Stablehand

He appeared outside of the library as was the instruction, the lack of rain across the Isle had caused dust devils and clouds to rain it's feather weight spores upon his robes and cloak. Brushing himself off as he opened the grand doors he entered the library, he eyes squinted in the dim light cast in from the open door. There were still some people walking around but none had taken notice of him until he opened the door and entered.Although knowing this was a place of study he had no idea of who the librarian was as he had never met her, gathering his courage he spoke out loud.
I have a message for the Librarian Evangeline is she here by chance?

Many stared at him thru spectacul or raised head from book, his face he could feel was seemingly flushed at his unusual voicement of request. But he was being paid well for this and stood waiting for her to be given the sealed missive.

[occ] Evangeline see PM[/ooc]

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:52 am
Stablehand

"I am not nearly as ridiculous as you assume I am," she murmured before approaching the messenger. She took the note with a weary hand and nodded her thanks at the man. She knew full well she didn't have anything to offer him - wasn't even sure of the proper protocol in the case of a transaction of this sort - but didn't feel secure in dismissing him just yet.

She opened the missive and skimmed over its lines, all the while considering Chal... - the other man's - words.

"I am certain that this Pyren's plan is a sound one." She had no energy to speak beyond what were, for her, the barest minimum of words. "And I doubt he's expecting a reply; either I will appear there, or I will not." She looked down at the note and crumpled it carefully. "But in case the matter does arise: I will not be there."

Evangeline coughed. "Unless, of course, I'm much closer to the realm of 'dead meat' than I currently think I am." She tossed the small ball of parchment in Kaiten's direction; it hit the ground at the woman's feet.

"But thank you," she said, suddenly more businesslike. "And if you do see Pyren... Well. Maybe I'll see him myself. After."

She turned back to the two gathered at the desk. "I've been a bit lost," she began, by way of apology, "because I can't quite..."

She brought her hands up to her forehead and let her fingers rest there briefly. "It's an awful amount to lose."

She studied the archeologist from behind her half-hidden eyes and then lowered her hands. "I know what I would like to gather, and it will not take long. It sound as though there are two horses between three of us, unless Kaiten can manage to conjure something out of the sky, which wouldn't surprise me that much, and the girl's got to earn her keep somehow..."

Mrmm. A smile moved across her lips and settled into one corner of her mouth. Perhaps I'm not as lost as I thought I was.

"There's not much in the way of supplies here; I've done my surviving by way of tea, and I wouldn't much suggest it for an extended journey. You're welcome to look, though - just follow the empty mugs." She gestured off behind her, her arm loose in the air.

"I would suggest that the two of you check the shelves nearest the desk for anything you see of interest there, and we'll pare things down between the three of us. I already know what I need." She was off, then, moving like a whirlwind with infinite arms, spinning from shelf to desk and back again.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:55 pm
Stablehand

Almost absent-mindedly she placed her palm over her son's mouth, indicating he should quiet so that she could listen to what was happening around them. He quickly obeyed, as was normally the case, and she smiled down at the boy before pressing her knees together, urging on the black stallion they both rode.

She'd finally reached the town of her dreams- or at least whoever's dreams she'd managed to walk herself into. She was at a loss as to say whose dreams she'd seen- it was the first time she'd ever dreamwalked into the slumber of a person who she hadn't met at least once in her life. It was also the first time she'd ever dreamwalked when she herself was relatively calm and not in a highly emotional state.

Two first times, both contributing to one of most unsettled feelings she'd had in her young life. Considering how many times she'd been unsettled or worried in the past, that was quite an accomplishment- and was the main reason she'd packed herself and her child up and begun the trek to where they now were. Events were occurring that could not be ignored, no matter how much she might want to hide her tiny family away in the shelter of her remote keep.

Events- it seemed such an innocuous word for what was occuring in the lands. Events didn't explain in any great detail the dryness of the earth, the brittleness of plant and tree, the mud pits of what was usually river or lake. Events didn't explain the earth tremors or the sudden illness that began to spread through the lands. Until the dreams, she had been content to ignore the events. Now that she had been drawn from her solitude to see what was happening, she wondered how she'd been able to ignore things for as long as she had.

Nothing in the dreams she'd intruded into had indicated what was happening or what she should do. If it hadn't been for a note, she vaguely recalled receiving, she'd have wandered aimlessly, hoping to find someone who could explain things. The message she'd received had indicated the Library of Tonan, however, so she'd figured that the best place to start would be there. So it was, she and her son found themselves in the town where the library stood.

Halting the animal outside the building, she looked up at the doors to the library and tried to decide what she should do next. Was she too late for the meeting? More than likely, so she could only hope someone remained who might have answers. She shivered slightly, a sense of foreboding and dread running through her veins. The boy she held in front of her felt the shiver and looked up at her, his own eyes taking on a slightly scared look.

Taking a deep breath, she smiled at her baby, running her hand over his blonde curls in a calming caress. Whatever was happening, she needed to remain calm for her son. She was not a coward- she would discover somehow what was happening, and would do whatever was necessary to keep him safe. There was no better time than now to begin.

Gripping the child to her chest, she quickly swung her leg over the stallions withers and hopped to the ground, letting the reins drape over the post in front of the building. She'd no fear of the animal running off or of anyone else trying to steal him- as he'd let no other being near him without causing severe bodily harm. Even so, she fiddled with the reins pretending to tie the stallion in place, while she surreptiously looked at the library doors.

What was she spooked about? It wasn't as if books could eat you alive. Wrinkling her nose, she straightened her shoulders and finally made her way forward. Carefully opening the door, she slipped inside, holding her boy closer to her body as if to protect him. As her eyes slowly adjusted to the change in light, she let them drift around the inside of the building curiously, trying to find someone- anyone- who appeared as if they might have some answers. Or at least find someone who looked like they would be able to find answers.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:19 pm
Stablehand

OOC Coming from here, a little late I admit

Weeks of mourning had been trying in a way, but he still felt refreshed. His body was more up to the task, and travelling with only spare clothes and a few books differed slightly from dragging a body along with him, as he had done on his last travels to Echo Peak. This time, teleporting to the location would not drain his energy completely. He was glad it wouldn't, time seemed all the more precious since whole populations were adrift, fearing the ominous events of the past few weeks, and if he needed to go back to a different location quickly, he would be prepared.

With that in mind, he studied the note and the map on the backside again. He had done ever so often, still wondering why he could have missed it, but he knew that his mind had been occupied with other business. 'New information has come to light that may interest you and the entirety of your kingdoms.' Indeed, this was the most interesting part. 'New information, and was about to be revealed nearly a month ago. I'm always happy when I recieve news with proper timing. Our network of eyes and ears could use some re-education.' Yes, it was folly to think that, the network had been eliminated a decade or four ago, but he would have died for some decent information these days. Now, the Court agents had to go and fetch the news themselves. And besides that, they didn't control a noble anymore, and it was at this particular class that the note was directed. He smiled a bitter smile when he realised that it had been his recently passed away friend who would have recieved the missive, if he had still worn his tokens of honour.

'At least it brings me to a library, Dree has to go to visit some pit. If he's lucky, he'll find the source of all this and the clue to whatever it is that we must avert, which all in all sounds like quite a dangerous enterprise. If he's unlucky, he'll find nothing but rock and dirt, though I'll probably will find only dust and half-nibbled scrolls. The Library of Tonan...' he studied the map on the back. 'Can't remember I've been there anyway, and I did visit a library or two in my days. But maybe it's all the better, if the world is really about to end, I may as well enjoy myself with a stack of old books, ready for discovery.' He studied the map one final time, then folded the note carefully in fours and put it in his cloak somewhere. Concentrating, the Court room faded away around him.

The next moment he opened his eye in a city street. He looked about. It seemed panic had not yet taunted this place to the core, the place even felt... quiet, though he supposed that wasn't the right word, for he doubted that anything that related to tranquility did no longer exist on the isle of Maxim. His eyes were immediately drawn towards one of the larger buildings. 'Impressive' he mused, 'but one of the books I carry in my backpack illustrates that one shouldn't be fooled by simple proportions. It's contents that matters.' He made a mental note of the horse outside, and two others standing not too far way. 'If Daron was here, I would know within seconds wether anymore horses had been here this day and yesterday and wether there was an extra sort of stable in the back alley, but no time to ponder to this luxuries which are not without our hands anymore.' He crossed the last stadia to the library's door, dust clouding behind and around him as his feet swept forward. He coughed elaborately before entering and only then realised he had just announced his arrival as if a trumpeteer of honour had sounded his personal signal. Smiling sadly at such ill preparations he pushed the doors aside. He removed his cap, showing his dark skin. He would not keep his elven heritage a secret here, there was no time for any racial or religious conditions. He stepped over the threshold and pulled the doors shut behind him.

The first thing drawing his attention was the horrible lighting. 'If this place claims such grandeur, they could have the proper extras come with it, personal light bubbles for each visitor, not to mention a clerk constantly taking notes for you? What happened to service these days.' His eyes adjusting to the dimly lit environment, he observed the scenery in front of him. There were, fortunately, several beings present still, of different shapes and sizes that was. He supposed he was lucky that there was anyone left all, and would not let this chance pass by him. Walking over to the first person close to him, he tried to introduce himself politely without making to much sound. His dry mouth, unfortunately, made his whispering sound like sawing wood for a winter's fire, but still the words came out. "Pardon me, but, well, what's the current subject we're discussing, because I recieved this missive..." he unfolded the note while continuing to speak, this happening with considerable more ease than his hoarse throat allowed him to speak "... and was curious what came forth from it. Or perhaps I should just listen?"

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:05 pm
Stablehand

She was content upon ignoring the man who'd entered, as well as the woman with the child; she'd been sufficiently chastened by Evangeline's most recent words, and wanted nothing more to grab some books and go. If people continued to enter with curious expressions, there wasn't much she could do, but when they began to speak, she found it difficult not to pay attention.

"Or perhaps I should just listen?" The words were spoken quietly; Kaiten closed her eyes and tried her best not to hear them. His choice of phrasing had nearly made her giggle, though; no one was talking at the moment. She'd been steadily pulling books from the shelves she could reach and discarding most of them as useless. Everything she'd opened was historical, but revoltingly so - tales of past wars and conquering tribes that were obviously written to garner favour from one government or another.

She turned slightly to check the position of the man and the woman and child pair, and saw that Evangeline was still moving to and from her desk and didn't look as though she'd be stopping anytime in the near future. She'd doubted the librarian had heard the man's words; she was making enough noise on her own between rapid, halting steps and the thumps from books deposited on desk or floor.

Kaiten supposed that left matters up to her. She tried not to count the number of times that made, but knew if she didn't escape the library soon (all the while wondering why she hadn't already, what with Kageri not more than a few hundred feet away), she'd be answering questions up until the moment the library was gone.

Her fingers curled around the spines of another few books, and she pulled them into her arms with what was now becoming a practised motion. She flipped open the top book, skimmed across the chapter titles, and then turned the pages at random.

"Huh," she said, without meaning to speak aloud. "This one might actually be useful."

There was only one book laying on the "keep" side of her feet, and she dropped the current book atop it, but carefully so.

"We're getting ready to leave." She was speaking to a point halfway in-between the woman and the man. She opened another book. "If you've brought the plague with you, I don't think we'd much welcome it. I can't say the environment here has been very controlled, but there hasn't been much with coughing or any other sign of sickness."

Another book to discard.

"I'm sure the fires will spring up soon." She continued to sort books as she spoke, with the pile of volumes to keep never growing appreciably.

"This place'll go up fast, I'm sure. And he-" she jerked a free finger toward the archeologist, and then took a deep breath, "Chalch…" another breath, "Chalchiuhtotolin, however that's actually meant to be said, thinks he knows of a place to go."

She stared blankly into the shelves she'd emptied. "So. That's that. We're salvaging what we can, and then we're running.

"The librarian's over there, but she's probably not much for paying attention right now."

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:38 pm
Stablehand

Having collected the few books which were obviously worth keeping from amongst the hundreds of collected volumes in the antechamber alone, Chalchiuhtotolin turned his attention to the newcomers. Most of those who had gathered at the library to hear Evangeline speak had made their way back to their various homes to make preparations to leave, and time was growing short for those who had stayed. He winced as Kaiten mangled the pronunciation of his name, and stepped forward with one arm held across his body to contain the slim volumes which he had gathered.

"Chalchiuhtotolin, head researcher of the university of Espial and apparent co-foreteller of doom. A pleasure to meet you," he nodded at the man carrying Evangeline's letter, "and you both also" led a similar greeting to the woman and child near the door.

"I'm afraid we've no good news for you. We know not the how and the why, but the contents of a few of these books foretold the coming of the drought, the earthquakes, and the plague which must now be sweeping across the island. They are described as the cataclysms of water, earth and air respectively - with fire still to come."

Chalchiuhtotolin paused to heft the books higher up his chest, letting the bottom of each volume rest against his travel-worn belt.

"Once we've saved what needs to be saved from the library, we're heading to a nearby port to try and charter a vessel to take us as far from the coast as we can. We shan't try to force you to accompany us or to make your own way from the island, but I would strongly counsel you to leave. Those who stay on the land... well... if they think it's a bluff, then they're playing games with something which even the Gods didn't stop."

He glanced at Evangeline, who busily flitted from shelf to shelf.

"I've gathered all that I think worth it, and I was about to suggest that we check the pantry for supplies and then leave. If any of you newcomers want to go and look for food, it'd be appreciated - if we don't make landfall soon after we set off, then I'm sure we'll be grateful for all of the supplies we can get our hands on..."

Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:47 am
Stablehand

I do not have plague...leave?

The woman had continued, with little room to ask questions. When the man had walked over to them, she'd hoped he would make more sense. And he did, although at first, all she could do was glance in confusion at the news she had just received. As the meaning of the news finally broke through her dazed mind she hugged her boy closer to her and swallowed thickly.

So her sense of unease wasn't unfounded then. In fact, it appeared she'd actually been more calm and at ease than she should have been. Taking a deep breath, she found herself thankful that she had no one to warn- she'd lived alone at her keep, not even having a servant nearby. She could only assume the few aquaintances she had were working on their own salvation- or that they did not believe anything would happen. In any case, she only had herself and her son to worry about. While it might prove foolishness to take these strangers' words as truth, it could prove deadly if she didn't. She didn't have to think on it long at all.

Y...yes. Of course.

She looked around the library again, wondering vaguely just where a pantry would be in such a place- then decided it might be better to just go back to the baker and butcher she'd seen before finding herself here. She also remembered seeing an empty wagon near them both. Glancing back at Chalchiuhtotolin, she smiled slightly.

Is there some place I should meet you again, once I have gathered provisions?

She really didn't know if he'd intended for her to leave and get them right that second or not, but there seemed to be such an urgency in his movements and in the movements of the librarian- let alone the movements of the woman who had first confronted her- that she didn't want to wait any longer than necessary. She waited only long enough for him to give her a location before she was heading back out to gather their future food and drink.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:03 pm
Stablehand

The silence after his whisper to the woman (and child, as he noticed only afterwards) had lasted only for a few seconds. Well, silence... There was some noise in the back and a shadow labouring through the rows of bookcases somewhere nearby, but the girl with a for her looks of age rather decisive voice announced the imminent coming of fires. That is, after she had thoroughly explained her opinion on people entering this premises while coughing.

"Apologies, the coughing, it's the road these days, the dust, I'm sure you'd..."

His well-ment apology was cut short by a polite, if hurried, introduction of one of the other present. While the apparent head researcher of the university of Espial gave a small update on the current state of affairs of prophecy interpretation, his attention was drawn to a book, lying open upon the desk forming somewhat of a centre to the small gathering of people.

"Thank you, master... head researcher, thank you. Desiderius, Agent of the Court of Marhillen, at your service. Now let's see, oh pardon me coming through. Uhuh, There is a knife stabbing itself.... uhuh...bodies feed the wind... to anything that will burn to everything. Fire..."

His eyes had widened in the meanwhile. He first looked at the girl, who had joined the other shadow, supposedly the librarian, with sorting out the volumes, then at the head researcher who hopefully would pronounce his name a second time, if only for the exotic sound of it, he had dismissed pronouncing for the time being, then blankly looked at the child cradled in her mother's arms. 'All those people... supplies...' For a moment the pair had been a symbol of all those outside struggling to survive the catastrophes so far, but the woman was already on her way to help getting food, drinks.

'All those books...' His heart sunk for a moment, as he considered all the knowledge that would burn, simply burn, all the unique texts that would be lost. Then his heart went out to Dree, Dolana, even Yip immediately popped up into his mind. 'They must know, now. Well... they would survi...' He considered his options, knowing that Dolana and Yip were already heading for a harbour and Dree was probably somewhere safe and sound up in the air. He winced at the wishful thinking he purposely used, but it made coming to a conclusion for himself much easier. The woman was already out looking for provisions, that would leave him with a simple carrier task, but he wouldn't want it differently.

"Well, if you don't mind handing over one of the no doubt priceless books over to a complete stranger, I'll happily carry along a few volumes, I suppose a pair of books could fit in nicely with the others I carry with me. For the sake of history..." He paused again at the thought that he couldn't take everything with him. "... by all means, throw 'm in...gently." He untied the pack and opened it, holding it out expectingly to the overloaded researcher near him.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:11 pm
Stablehand

Chalchiuhtotolin was only too pleased to empty his arms of the weighty old tomes, sliding them carefully into the proferred pouch with a grateful smile. "Thanks. The more books we can take with us, the less we have to re-learn when we make landfall. Still, there's so much we're going to have to abandon..."

His mind whirled with the problems facing the small group, with experiences of hours spent planning journeys to dig sites and exotic old temples conflicting with the need to leave the library sooner than was practical.

"We can meet in the open ground right outside," he explained to the newly arrived woman. "It should give us some space to pile up supplies before we load up whatever transport we can find. And it's close enough to buildings to allow us to get inside in a hurry, if we need to. Without knowledge of what the cataclysm of fire will actually do, it's hard to plan ahead..."

He frowned, distracted by the size of the task before them, and rapidly counted off items with his fingers.

"We'll need some general supplies - canvas for awnings, rope, containers for food and water. Barrels should be good enough for both. Hammers, nails, spare timber if we've a way of transporting it to the ship. Feed, if we're to take the horses away with us, and spare tack. Clothes, of course, and as much in the way of medical supplies as we can find."

Having used all of his fingers, he turned his hands palm down as if frustrated with his lack of more digits to use. Noticing for the first time the dirt and soil which hid beneath his fingernails, he brushed them roughly against his trousers and sighed.

"If you can find any of those things, we'll be better off. The town we're going to head for was bustling a few months ago, but the gods only know what the plague's done there. I'd rather not stray into the town itself, since we'll have enough trouble at the port without risking ourselves further. If you can meet us in the square in half an hour or so, we'll take what we've got by that point, and pray it'll be enough to last."

He nodded to himself as he finished speaking, and thrust his hands deep into his trouser pockets to prevent further fidgeting. "I'm going to go and check the pantry, then. If it's tea that keeps our librarian functioning, we might as well bring some along - and this place must have some solid food somewhere. Kaiten, fancy coming along to help the search?"

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:35 am
Stablehand

She hated the realisation, but she was done.

She had made her last grab whirl stepstepstepstep deposit books and had paused to think a moment before turning back toward the bookshelves when she'd remembered that she'd reached the end of the bottom row. That was it. She'd sorted what she needed. She'd made her choices.

I had to choose. She thought vaguely about crumpling to the floor, and she knew that if she didn't support herself soon, her knees would buckle with the weight of her thoughts. She touched the edge of the desk with the tips of her fingers, tried to steady herself and her head.

It was worse than picking a child; every volume here was more vibrant than any of the children she'd ever encountered. There were eccentricities among the collection, of course, but that was to be expected when one woman - without any assistance whatsoever - had stood as the curator for so long.

She'd seen the expression on the face of the man who'd entered, that aside from its grand name, there wasn't anything particularly stately about the library's building, its contents, or the lighting. She'd wanted to do more, and always had, but there was no one to ask and no place to make suggestions. She'd done her best during her first few years to investigate the books that were steadily delivered and their senders, but no one ever responded to her missives, and the messengers were strangely laconic. Attempting to carry on a conversation with what amounted to a wall with feet and a delivery bag had tried her patience on no few occasions.

There had been donations made from people with faces - faces she had seen - also, but the majority of those books were family histories and overwrought prose poems about the beauty of this tree or that girl. She'd sent these elsewhere, when she could; she wouldn't take a hand in the destruction herself, but if Pretty Things I Saw While Plowing happened to fall into mud on its way to its new home, no matter.

We're going on a boat. She rocked back on her heels, and forward again. Surely that man - I'm just going to call him Tolin, and that will be that - realised how useless I will be? She had a decent hand, but she doubted that her writing could keep a ship from sinking; she was organised, but not in the way that he was…

And he's given jobs to everyone, just as perfectly as you please.

She looked down at the books she'd gathered. And this is mine.

She stepped toward Kaiten's shelves, easily saw which books the girl had intended to keep, and picked them up with a practised hand. "You have a good eye," she nodded toward the girl, and felt a sudden rush of gratitude for Kaiten's presence flushing her cheeks.

She hurried back to her desk, added the books to the pile, and counted.

Ten. Ten books and all the knowledge of the world. She ran a finger across the top book's binding. And whatever Tolin took, too. She reached below her desk for the bag she'd kept there for no particular purpose, and slid the volumes into the cloth of its interior with more care than she'd ever shown herself.

Okay, then.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:24 pm
Stablehand

She'd let a grateful smile settle over her face, but only because she knew that Evangeline wouldn't be able to see her. For a moment - and a brief one, at that - she was glad that she'd ended up here.

When she turned to face the man of the easily mangled name, she'd returned herself to normal, whatever that was.

Lately, it's been far more speaking than anything else, and without any real purpose. I know nothing about this place, and yet I keep offering my opinions, and, from the looks of it, confusing people or scaring them out of their minds. I haven't even offered up the story of my arrival yet - though there will probably be enough time to cover that during travel - or that I've been accused of being one of those people of the apocalypse. Funny, that; seems as though there should be more of us around here.

It felt strange, letting herself sink into her thoughts again, like she'd been moving of someone else's accord for the past few days. The thought was disturbing and somewhat comforting all at once, and it brought her back to the archeologist's words with a sudden desire to be busy again.

She had serious doubts about the library's supply of solid food, whatever he seemed to think.

---

"Good…good…" she was so shocked, she was unable to find a proper word with which to swear. "That's…um…"

She shook her eyes and then returned to her wide-eyed staring. "…tea, isn't it? All those…those mugs?"

She was never, never going to allow Evangeline to look at her like she was strange again.

The panty resembled nothing as much as a potter's workshop, with mugs spread everywhere on every available surface, and stacked up besides. They were all different - in colour as well as quality and shape - and the only unifying factor between them was the fact that the interiors were all stained with remnants of tea.

Kaiten took a step back from the stack she'd been leaning over; her head was swimming.

"How could…"

She wasn't sure she wanted an answer. She began to grab anything that wasn't mug-shaped; most of the boxes were light, but they'd likely be able to gather a fair number of leftover leaves.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:10 pm
Stablehand

She mentally made the list the man, who would lead, had given her. She was glad her past had involved noticing things quickly- the habit had led her to notice several shops on her way into the town that could possibly carry what was needed. The only problem was paying for it all. She'd brought what gold she had- but it had been too long since she'd been in the heat of battle and gathered its spoils. She wasn't sure exactly how much provision could actually be bought with what she had.

Perhaps she'd be able to barter her way into receiving more- or perhaps one of the merchants would wish to join them all and would bring all of his stock? She doubted the last however. If any merchants were interested in joining the small group that had formed in the library, they likely would have been in the library to begin with. Sighing softly she moved down the street to her first destination.

Half an hour later, she'd arrived back in the square as instructed. She had bought exactly what had been requested, in enough quantity that they should have at least three weeks of provision if rationed correctly. She'd also found a couple of nets that she'd purchased- if they could fish, it would help provisions to last longer.

She'd bartered her way into more supplies than her meager gold would have bought, but not as much as she would have liked. Echoes of her past urged her to obtain the rest of the items through less than legal means- only the knowledge that she couldn't slip away easily kept her honest. If she wanted to stick with the group she'd found, she needed to make sure she had no reason to quickly leave them. Of course that hadn't stopped her from "acquiring" anything out of sight of prying eyes that could be hidden easily.

Now that she'd done her assignment, she was impatient and nervous to find out what the next step was. To keep from fidgeting, she began to play a game of peek-a-boo with her son. She only glanced at the door to the library once every other minute- instead of every minute like she wanted.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:40 pm
Stablehand

He was taken aback by the long list of survival items the head researcher summed up. It reminded him of the tools of the trade of Daron's scouting missions, when they had to survive in enemy territory for a while. But it wasn't exactly the same. This list sounded more like they were going on a trip only ment to live, not to kill. He hadn't thought they might actually become settlers of sorts. 'If there's anything to settle where we're going to, that is.' This whole chain of events had not yet convinced him that 'abandoning ship' was the only solution, but he couldn't think of anything else to do and he had seen himself what the plague was up to, and then the fires still had to come. Was this isle really doomed?

Nodding thoughtfully was all he could do before people started to spread over the area. He realised within seconds that he was the only one not performing any task at all, whispered an apology to the scholar who was heading over to the pantry with the girl, named Kaiten, and hurried outside after the woman with child, scooping up his backpack on the way out. He saw her walking off to one side of town and decided that he would try and get as much from the list as possible.

While he browsed through a few shops and obtained a few mundane items with at least some ease, he continued to make a course of action for himself. He was tempted to stay with this group, it felt just like old. Join a party for protection, travel the unknown, survive, and record for the sake of history. But he would have to tell his fellow agents the news, they had to know about the fires. 'I hope I can convince them to let me go for a minute, if only to inform my people. If we split, we may have more chance of surviving as well. And there's always the amulet should everything else fail.' he thought, while recieving two small axes and another length of rope. His backpack had gathered some weight already and his hands were rapidly filling as well. A carpenter next door was surprised to hear him ask about supplies for construction, and even more when he was asked to deliver them to the town square, but he would gladly deliver it within fifteen minutes, he would even get his sons to carry the wood so that it would go faster. A cart was of course as well a possibility. Desiderius nodded in approval, produced more gold coins from a pouch and left the shop, his hands filled with tools.

There was about fifteen minutes left, if he judged it from experience. They would have the wood, the cart 'I hope they can get one of those horses to pull it, by Angelique, no hand cart please.', he had tools and rope. Maybe he could... 'Yes, that would solve it all, well at least my small problems.' He was glad to see the woman had acquired her part too and was already waiting outside the building. He walked over to her, smiling at mother and son playing games even in these uncertain times.

He started to order the items he had bought beside the supplies already there, laying out a few hammers, axes and a saw, nails and two ropes, then placed his backpack beside it. "M'lady, pardon me, but I really have to take care of a small matter of my own. I need some friends to be informed about the prophecies told here, I gather you will stay right at the spot? If you don't mind watching what I brought as well, I'll be back within a few minutes I suspect. If I'm not here back on time, you at least have the supplies I bought and the books in my pack." He hurried off as much as his cloak allowed him to, then remembered a detail and stopped dead in his tracks. "Oh, and the carpenter will bring wood and if he managed a cart as well. I won't be long."

Disappearing between a few buildings, he was glad this town wasn't really bustling with people. Removing the amulet from his neck, he touched two sides. Blue to gold... and he disappeared.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:42 am
Stablehand

Mountains upon mountains upon mountains of mugs...

"Where do these all come from?"

Chalchiuhtotolin turned around in a small circle, standing on the tips of his toes to try and peer over the piles of soiled mugs which lined every surface of the pantry.

"Somewhere, there's going to be a potter who'll be most unhappy with us for taking her off the island," he whispered under his breath, more for his own monologue than any desire to discuss the scene before him.

He shook his head as if to clear the mug-related thoughts, and set to work trying to find some solid food amongst the tea-encrusted crockery. Delicately moving his way towards the back of the room, taking care to step over the small piles of cups which studded the tiled floor, Chalchiuhtotolin moved towards the cabinets against the far pantry wall in the hope of finding something - anything - other than tea.

The cabinets stood entirely empty, their immaculately clean interior telling of their utter lack of use. The rest of the kitchen featured unlabelled boxes, discarded towels, and... well... more mugs. Not one sign of actual edible foodstuffs, and certainly no bountiful supply of long lasting field rations.

Kaiten was a quiet hive of activity over in the corner, filling her arms with boxes which soon began to pile up over her chest to rest underneath her chin. In contrast, Chalchiuhtotolin looked around as if despondent; all of the lumber and ship-repairing supplies in the world couldn't make up for a starving crew. He began to pick amongst the boxes in the hopes of finding a handful which were weight enough to contain some tea leaves - at least they would have something to drink on their journey.

"Looks like we're going to have to head into the town once we're at the docks," he offered to Kaiten, "unless the others discover a cache of food somewhere nearby. I'd hoped that we could leave the settlements well alone, since by the time we arrive they'll all most likely be panicked and looking for their own way off of the island, but it seems that we have no such luck."

Looking over the unwashed contents of the room once more, he shrugged and turned to make his way back to Evangeline's no doubt gargantuan pile of books in the lobby.

"I'm going to head outside and see what's been gathered - I'll see you out there?"

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:51 am
Stablehand

There wasn't any hope for it; every time her eyes passed over an edge of one of the mugs, she was set to giggling. This made her task of maintaining her grip of the pile of boxes stacked in her arms very difficult indeed, and she'd found herself closing her eyes in attempt to forget what surrounded her.

She was certain she hadn't been laughing at all before He of the Long and Difficult Name had entered.

Almost certain.

---

She did her best to nod over the tops of the containers after he'd mentioned the necessity of finding food somewhere else, but quickly realised the most he'd be able to discern was the top of her head or the sound of her hair hitting against the boxes nearest her cheeks. Before she'd thought to speak, she heard him turn and mention that he was going outside.

"Right," she said absently, her eyes closed tight against to avoid finding another mug into her field of vision. "I'll be out…" her voice trailed off as she opened her eyes and looked down at what she held in her arms "…eventually."

---

She'd backed out of the pantry carefully and then - not carefully at all - dropped the boxes from her arms. The noises they made as they fell were rather satisfying; she was glad of the chaos. She knelt and opened the lids that hadn't been set ajar by the descent or the floor, and began to recover what tea leaves she could.

---

In the end, there were three full boxes of tea and one nearly half-full. She'd chosen the lightest four containers and then grabbed a fifth just in case. If nothing else - and if she survived - she'd be able to keep it as a memento. She'd taken a bag from the pile in one corner of the pantry, slid the boxes in, and then turned to leave.

She hesitated for a second, and that was long enough for her to turn around, pick up another bag, and fill it quickly with six of the cleanest mugs she could find.

Tea'd be useless on its own, wouldn't it?

---

Evangeline stood with a bag in her arms and unreadable eyes.

"I'm just going to…" Kaiten gestured with the two bags in her arms, "…okay? I'll be outside, so…"

So what? So hurry up and leave your entire life behind, librarian?

"See you out there." She stepped out of the library quickly, feeling the itch of Evangeline's eyes on her back.

---

It was a small matter to saddle Kageri and lead him out of the stable; he required little convincing. The tea and mugs were safely stowed in his saddlebags, and he'd even accepted that with far less than his usual complaint.

She led him toward the square, toward the woman and the child.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:07 pm
Stablehand

The lines of the tattoo drawn across her forehead and down her cheek began to pulse with heat. She brought a hand up to her face and left it hovering just above her skin; she could feel the warmth radiating into her palm and along her fingers.

She wished she were able to remember what that meant.

As it was, though, it didn't matter much; whatever weird signs her body was sending her, whatever strange patterns she had drawn on her face, she knew she needed to leave. Tolin was on a deadline - and it was well and good that someone was taking charge - and she didn't think he'd be much inclined to wait for her, especially after he'd gotten a hand on a few books.

Not to say that all he cares about are the books that he managed to grab, because I don't really think that's the case, but it's just that I don't know the man well, or even at all really, and Kaiten's not much more than a stranger herself and then there are the other two and the child and I don't even think I spoke a thing to any of them… How on earth are we supposed to trust each other to get where we're going? Likely enough that someone'll just capsise the boat to get the rest of us off of it, and then go sailing off merrily into the sunset while we're all drowning in the ocean behind, and that would certainly solve any problems with food shortages and if I'm bothering to think of all of this, then maybe this is something that I'm planning on doing and I don't even know it yet…

Kaiten left the building, but the girl's movement didn't register in Evangeline's thoughts.

And I guess thinking those kind of terrible things is better than thinking the sort of terrible things that my brain wants me to think, all about the shelves and the pages and everything I've done here and everything I couldn't ever manage to do and everything all stacked up into piles and groups and categories and…

That did it: tears began to trace their way down her cheeks. She stood silent and slightly hunched, with her arms crossed over her chest, and cried.

I…I'm sorry…I couldn't…I want to stay but I might be more useful…

She shook her head.

"I can't do anything if I'm ash," she said softly, her voice raw. "Neither can you, I know, but at least I can carry what I've got in my head, even though that's already beginning to fade… At least it's something, isn't it? It's the best I can do…" She closed her eyes, breathed deeply. "…it's better than what I can do here, which is nothing.

"I have to go."

Have to, need to, want to…

She brushed away the traces of tears around her eyes, knowing full well that in a few minutes, it wouldn't make any difference, and then shouldered the bag of books.

The weight of the bag was nothing; it was all the rest of it that made her steps difficult and slow.

She didn't look back, not when she had reached the door, not when she had opened it, not when she had stepped beyond the threshold.

"To the square, then." She was biting her lip in an attempt to keep her head from turning back; she forced her eyes to stare ahead - at the sky, at the ground, at anything.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:49 am
Stablehand

Laden down with boxes from the pantry, Chalchiuhtotolin emerged from the half-light of the library's musty interior to the painfully sharp light of the midday sun. The woman and child awaited him in the square, playing games beside a rapidly growing pile of everyday goods which was added to every so often by a succession of young labourers.

"It's good to see things coming together," he remarked to the woman as he made his way over to the pile, gently setting down the few boxes he'd carried out with him. "Any word from the other fellow? Desiderius, wasn't it?"

Chalchiuhtotolin smiled down at the child as he straightened after shedding his load, then arched his back slightly and closed his eyes as he stretched, murmuring under his breath.

"I'm getting far too old for fetching and carrying, though I suspect there'll be far more of that before we're done."

With a final wince, he opened his eyes once more to regard the woman and her child. "Kaiten and the librarian should be out of the library in a moment, with the last of what we're taking. Are you both ready for us to depart?"

As he spoke, an ageing shopkeeper led a recalcitrant mule into the square, tethered to a creaking cart. The vehicle had obviously seen better days, and the stony dirt ground was visible through gaping cracks in its bottom. The shopkeeper gave a curt nod, eyed the mound of goods which the group had accrued in the centre of the otherwise desolate square, and moved back towards his shop before he could be asked to help load the old cart - or to account for its poor condition. Whatever price Desiderius had paid for it, Chalchiuhtotolin doubted he'd gotten his money's worth.

Shrugging, he moved to take the donkey's tether rope and tug it over towards the piled goods. Fetching and carrying it is, then... he thought, grimacing as he bent down to pick up a heavy box which lay beside the mound. I'm getting far too old...

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:38 pm
Stablehand

"M'lady, pardon me, but I really have to take care of a small matter of my own. I need some friends to be informed about the prophecies told here, I gather you will stay right at the spot? If you don't mind watching what I brought as well, I'll be back within a few minutes I suspect. If I'm not here back on time, you at least have the supplies I bought and the books in my pack."

She listened to him, her eyes watching him carefully, nodding in all the appropriate spots. He was already moving away from her before she could say "yes" in a soft agreeable voice. Smiling slightly, she grinned fully when he suddenly remembered one final instruction.

"Oh, and the carpenter will bring wood and if he managed a cart as well. I won't be long."

I will look for him.

She replied solemnly, but the grin was still on her face. She hadn't realized how much she missed adult company until she was near it again. Slanting her head, she had to smirk at herself. Once upon a time, she would have been irritated at being too near other people. Once upon a time, she'd been more of a loner. Amazing how one small boy could change so much....

Shaking her head, she went back to playing games with her son, while she waited for everyone else to arrive. She'd insisted on the merchants carrying what she'd ordered, out to the cart she'd found immediately- not trusting them to bring "later". She hadn't changed completely, after all.

She glanced up again after a few moments and noticed one of the women from the library heading in her direction with a horse and her eyes darted to her own black stallion. She hoped that he wouldn't cause any problems in this group they'd formed. So far he hadn't given any problem- he seemed to sense the necessity of being where they were and being with who they were with.

As was usually the case when she considered the animal, she remembered the man- no the demon who he had belonged to before. And as usually was the case, she only allowed herself a few seconds of melancholy before pushing the thoughts deep into the recesses of her memory. The boy's father had shown little interest if any in her or their child since finding them again shortly after the child's birth. At one time that would have destroyed her- now the only regret she had was that her son would grow up without a father.

"It's good to see things coming together....Any word from the other fellow? Desiderius, wasn't it?"

She blinked and turned toward the man whose name she could not say. She hadn't realized he'd arrived as well.

Yes...he was here. He said he would be back in a few minutes? He also expected a carpenter with a cart....

She blinked as she saw the "cart" on its way toward them, her attention momentarily distracted before she turned back to Tolin and nodded.

We are ready to go.

She watched him wince as he began to load the cart. Taking in a quick breath and blushing faintly, she went to her stallion and removed the cradleboard from its back, placing her child into it then sliding her arms through the straps so that he was secure on her back. She didn't want to stand around like a helpless ninny while the older man did all the hard work. Not when she was strong enough and capable enough to help.

Quietly, she began to help load the cart. Her son stared at everything behind her giggling at how the world was moving up and down and around while she worked.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:13 pm
Stablehand

He was about to make his way back to the library as he remembered one final detail. 'Transport... my magic won't last forever, and everybody seems to go by horseback.' Instead of teleporting straight away to his previous location, he decided to make a small detour to a nearby village. Praying that the plague hadn't struck there yet, he teleported.

Haggling was not a mystery to him, but he was in a hurry and everybody seemed suddenly on edge when it came to selling valuable resources, and this definition apparently applied to carrying animals. The little grey mare that was offered to him wasn't worth the price, but he was altogether glad his knowledge of this isle had let him to an unspoiled corner, where everybody seemed healthy, if a bit shaken by recent events. "She's called Mist, her colour reminded us of the fogs at dawn we have here" the stableman remarked.

Desiderius couldn't help but smile, it all seemed to mean so little, what an animal was called, but the name was well-chosen, she had a kind of dreary look, the same as mist foreboding a wet day."I'll take her, and at once that is. If you can fetch me a saddle and proper bags filled with horsefeed, I'll give you extra... a little extra" he added. 'No use for gold if I don't survive, but it's running out rather quickly now. I can't risk anymore big expenses after this.' A few minutes later he galloped out of the village, as best as he could. He rode off to a small forest nearby and started to cast another spell. It took him a little longer now, the distance to cover was larger, he was already getting tired, it was his third travelling spell of the day, and he had to take Mist with him.

Moments later he appeared at the same spot as he had the first time. He felt quite ridiculous on the grey horse, not used to travelling this way, and imagining the horse was just a tad to small for him didn't do any good either. Urging Mist forward, he covered the last distance to the square. It appeared that he'd acted faster than he'd thought, for they were still loading the cart. 'And what a cart...' he mused, but he said nothing and halted near the loading people. Considering wether he would make a fool of himself if he dismounted now, he firstly argued that he should help a little at least, and secondly there was still a backpack to be found somewhere among the goods. So, taking care of every movement, he managed to get down the horse without falling or damaging his robe. He patted Mist on his back as he thought it should be done and the animal responded by whinnying softly.

"I managed to get myself a little quicker transportation than my feet would provide for." Looking at the animal he added thoughtfully, more to himself than to the others "I'm not sure I would like to add my personal weight to the cart load in the first place, considering the mule." Tiptoeing between packs and stacked crated, holding up his robe, he fetched his backpack from somewhere between the shrinking pile of goods and started to help carrying the last loads towards the cart. He noticed that the girl came as well and even another woman emerged from the library. 'Probably the one in the back, still have to introduce myself to her I suppose. If it's the librarian, this Evangeline, then I have to thank her for the note she send weeks ago.' In the meanwhile he explained his short there-and-back-again to his brother and sister in arms, carrying that is.

"I just had to inform a few others about matters discussed and books revealed here. I would have taken them along, but we decided we have better chances of survival when we split. Though I personally am glad to have found a group willing to work together to come through this." He added the last sentence with a certain caution, but he wouldn't stay silent on the subject, not even when carrying hammers and saws into a creaking cart. As he deposited the tools in the cart, he noticed that he had forgotten to tie Mist up. "Oh, there goes my horse..." Cursing under his breath he hurried after the animal which had lazily wandered off a few peds away, took the reigns and pulled it back, whereupon the mare followed almost indifferently.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:21 pm
Stablehand

Though I personally am glad to have found a group willing to work together to come through this...

Chalchiuhtotolin paused en route to the cart with another armload of bags from the dwindling pile. The group had acquired supplies and a cart, he knew the route to port well enough, and was confident that a number of his friends would still be in the harbour with their ships, but... then what?

Stand off to sea while the island burned? Journey out beyond the horizon to find a new home?

Suddenly, the cartload of supplies looked very small indeed. They could be at sea for weeks, even months if they didn't make landfall. What if the demise of the island involved storms and hurricanes and weather which would smash their ship like tinderwood? What if the crew of the ship refused to leave port, thinking that the plague and the earthquakes and the drought were coincidence? What if the ship was found to be unseaworthy, or sprung a leak, or they ran out of sailcloth, or were becalmed in port, or-

This is not productive, he told himself and forced his feet to make their way to the cart to deposit his load. There will be ships still in port. There will be a wind to take us seaward. There will be another island for us to make our home. There is hope.

Repeating this mental mantra to himself, he carried one more load to the cart before turning to address the small group.

"We'd best head off as soon as we can, now that we're all here and the cart's almost loaded. The sooner we get to port, the more distance we can put between ourselves and whatever befalls this place. There's only a couple more bags to load - is everyone ready to leave, otherwise?"

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:00 am