Word Count

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Word Count

Post by Nagash » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:12 pm

I rather liked the Word Cuont tool on TB. Can we have one here too? Can we? Can we?


*bounces*
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
MoP
Savant
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Word Count

Post by MoP » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm with Nagash on this one!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Word Count

Post by owly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:36 pm

That would be cool except i'd have a low count lol
i know what you said about my Momma

Isildur
Wayfarer
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Isildur » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:30 am

Verbosity my weakness.

Too long.

No word count!

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Word Count

Post by Immigrant » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 am

agreed. only encourages long-winded posts - the old 'mine is bigger' bit
(...some of us recovering spammers don't need the encouragement heh)

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Word Count

Post by Gerien » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:24 am

Isildur wrote:Verbosity my weakness.

Too long.

No word count!
tl;dr
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Word Count

Post by Gerien » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 am

Immigrant wrote:agreed. only encourages long-winded posts - the old 'mine is bigger' bit
(...some of us recovering spammers don't need the encouragement heh)
Actually, word counts discourage spam. It takes quite the artiste to create spam longer than 15 words. Teh ability to extend a subject and draw your audience along with you on the path to ridiculousness for a full paragraph is something to be celebrated.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

Doginiz
Lost Soul
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Doginiz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:28 am

What are we celebrating, again?
My former crack head name was SunSu.

User avatar
Thomas
Lost Soul
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Word Count

Post by Thomas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:10 am

It's part of the old quality vs quantity. Then again, we've seen spam drawn out in that fine illistration of Gerien's. Of course, those are far and few between.
Are we never to learn that Socialism has its roots in envy and in nothing else?
The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Nagash » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:30 am

Gerien wrote:
Immigrant wrote:agreed. only encourages long-winded posts - the old 'mine is bigger' bit
(...some of us recovering spammers don't need the encouragement heh)
Actually, word counts discourage spam. It takes quite the artiste to create spam longer than 15 words. Teh ability to extend a subject and draw your audience along with you on the path to ridiculousness for a full paragraph is something to be celebrated.

Indeedy. It's a safeguard of the quality of spam. :D
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

Kaxion
Lost Soul
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Kaxion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:57 pm

I liked the word count it let you know who the good spammers and eloquent speakers were.
It kinda discouraged single one word spams and posts that really just clog threads.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Nagash » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Well, that, or it inspired one to compensate the compact spammings with more eloquent posts and get a decent average anyways. :)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Word Count

Post by Gerien » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:13 am

I liked the word count it let you know who the good spammers and eloquent speakers were.
It kinda discouraged single one word spams and posts that really just clog threads.
Well, that, or it inspired one to compensate the compact spammings with more eloquent posts and get a decent average anyways. :)
Both are true, and a reason I would like to officially request that the feature be added here if possible.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Word Count

Post by Immigrant » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:53 pm

eh maybe youre right... might be harmless like post counts *looks at Nagash* hehe

seems with or without it I still end up posting long arsed notes anyway... can't help myself (I'm so weak ;p)

User avatar
Teanos
Within the Shadows
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
Contact:

Re: Word Count

Post by Teanos » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:01 am

No.


+1
Even a ghost needs to breathe.

Doginiz
Lost Soul
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Doginiz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 am

That was a kick in the balls of many with one swift kick.

Ouch!!!
My former crack head name was SunSu.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Nagash » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:03 am

Bugger :(
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
MoP
Savant
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Word Count

Post by MoP » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:16 am

What happened to democracy? :(
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Word Count

Post by Nagash » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm

Teanos wrote:No.


+1


Pwease?
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

losmar
Necromancer
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Word Count

Post by losmar » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:29 pm

You should've had a picture of your kid with a sad-face Nag...

Democracy? MoP, this is Europe! (I think I'm under the impression that your land has one of the better forms of that in this land; I don't remember b/c we're talking more about the EU as a whole instead of each country...)

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests