New Computer
Moderator: Staff
- Reylan Talonspyre
- Teacher
- Posts: 537
- Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 am
- Contact:
New Computer
I am thinking of buying a barebones system and taking the HD from my old computer (which is a 7200 HD) and putting it in the new, sleeker, and better model, instead of purchasing Windows (don't own a full version disk) and a new HD. It will save me roughly $130.00.
The whole system is coming from magicmicro.com, a place my friends have used and enjoy.
I am looking at a CPU costing $543.00.
That will give me the following:
AMD Phenom II 945 3.0GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache
Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan
ASRock N68-S nForce 7025, Onboard Video, PCI-EX, LAN
4GB (2x2GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 Dual Channel
GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head, tv out
Lite On 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
Cooler Master Elite 310 black, Side Window, front USB
Case Fan 80 mm DC fan
Logisys 550W ATX Power Supply w/ 6pin PCI-E
Thoughts?
The whole system is coming from magicmicro.com, a place my friends have used and enjoy.
I am looking at a CPU costing $543.00.
That will give me the following:
AMD Phenom II 945 3.0GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache
Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan
ASRock N68-S nForce 7025, Onboard Video, PCI-EX, LAN
4GB (2x2GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 Dual Channel
GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head, tv out
Lite On 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
Cooler Master Elite 310 black, Side Window, front USB
Case Fan 80 mm DC fan
Logisys 550W ATX Power Supply w/ 6pin PCI-E
Thoughts?
I think I would make a great pope.
Gatekeepers
Gatekeepers
Re: New Computer
Looks good.... but what's a bareback system? 
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Re: New Computer
How big is the HD? Cause storage is dirt cheap nowadays.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Teanos
- Within the Shadows
- Posts: 406
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
- Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
- Contact:
Re: New Computer
The only problem with that is you very rarely can ever just take a hard drive from an existing machine, and plug it into a completely new system and have it run the OS without issues.
Driver conflicts, chipset conflicts, etc. It most likely will not work and you will end up loosing everything anyways when you reformat.
What I would suggest is go ahead and purchase a copy of Windows Vista, you can get the system builders pack from Newegg I think for $89-$100, and the free upgrade to Windows 7. Do a fresh install, install your other hd as a secondary drive so your data will be there and its not trying to boot off of that hard drive.
You are talking $100.
You can scale down some of those components to make up the difference.
Driver conflicts, chipset conflicts, etc. It most likely will not work and you will end up loosing everything anyways when you reformat.
What I would suggest is go ahead and purchase a copy of Windows Vista, you can get the system builders pack from Newegg I think for $89-$100, and the free upgrade to Windows 7. Do a fresh install, install your other hd as a secondary drive so your data will be there and its not trying to boot off of that hard drive.
You are talking $100.
You can scale down some of those components to make up the difference.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
- Captain Ron
- Lost Soul
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm
- Contact:
Re: New Computer
Looks pretty good, but I agree with Teanos. If you put that HDD in the new machine chances are it will not just 'work'
I usually stay away from AMD, but they are so cheap nowadays that it just make sense if you want to save money.
I usually stay away from AMD, but they are so cheap nowadays that it just make sense if you want to save money.
That don't sound like he's speakin' American! Get 'im!
Re: New Computer
Nice
But ditto the above 2 posts, prepare for a reformat, Rey
But ditto the above 2 posts, prepare for a reformat, Rey
Bo & Sart, Tork RiP
<Click & Insert promotional code here>
~ Fidei Defensor Vexillarius ~ Amo ut invenio ~
<Click & Insert promotional code here>
~ Fidei Defensor Vexillarius ~ Amo ut invenio ~
- Teanos
- Within the Shadows
- Posts: 406
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
- Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
- Contact:
Re: New Computer
There is nothing wrong with AMD.
I've run both with little to no problem, AMD used to run hotter then Intel but that isn't a big deal.
I've run both with little to no problem, AMD used to run hotter then Intel but that isn't a big deal.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
Re: New Computer
My computer is so old it only gets 70's porn
Re: New Computer
You might save money with a dual core, and probably don't need a quad. It's only advantageous if you do tons of intensive multitasking.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest