It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

Post by Immigrant » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:53 am

gob! I remember that namme long time no see & wb!
Europe's gun control laws do help keep the murder rate lower than it is in the US (you are about 4 times more likely to be murdered in the states). A lot of stats I've seen seem to agree that property and 'violent' crimes are higher in Europe
no doubr, be carful what parts of e-burg ye wanter around in after dark... despite tight gun laws thetes stikllthing called knuiv es ye know... in every ghouse and every bit a deadly

User avatar
Lady Maven
Teacher
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

Post by Lady Maven » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:40 am

No more than lower violence can be blamed on lax gun control can higher violence be blamed on tight gun control. Again, correlation is not causation. MANY factors go into violence and lack thereof. Economics, education, etc. Guns, IF the have ANY sort of relationship AT ALL would be only one small piece. I have no idea why crime may be higher in Europe but I doubt it is a lack of private gun ownership.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu


How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

tubs
Wayfarer
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:00 am

Re: It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

Post by tubs » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 am

I'm glad you can concede that gun control does not lead to higher crime rate, or proliferation of guns leads to lower crime rate, too :)

Personally, I think the best way to lower the murder rate in the US is to legalize all drugs, and sink the profits from it into public services and health care. It would never happen though :(

User avatar
Lady Maven
Teacher
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

Post by Lady Maven » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:48 am

Oh seriously Tubs, I agree with legalizing all drugs too, but for a different reason. A LOT of these idiots will kill themselves overdosing and thus we will cull the herd.

But seriously, for many of us deterence of ALL crime has NOTHING to do with our wanting to own a gun. It is the Deterence of crime agains ourselves and our property that is our main goal. I will defend a neighbor, and any one of you that I am in the presence of, whether you want me to or not. But I am not trying to protect EVERYONE. I just want people to have the choice to protect themselves in the manner the situation calls for. And if someone is trying to rape or kill me I think the situation calls for them to die of lead posoining.

And I respect the rights of those who have chosen NOT to arm themselves with a gun. I understand their feelings, I respect their choices, and all I want is the same in return.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu


How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

User avatar
Lady Maven
Teacher
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

Post by Lady Maven » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:07 am

And just to clarify, I have no serious thoughts on this. My son lives in Chicago, but on a Naval base. He can get a gun.. I assume.. do Navy guys get guns?
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu


How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: It's a fine day to be an AMERICAN!

Post by Nagash » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Lady Maven wrote:I have no idea why crime may be higher in Europe.

It isn't. :)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest